Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Oasx posted:

To be fair, ultimately Brendon was working as an actor and it’s completely reasonable for the showrunner to want him to look like his role.
Any expectations for an actor’s appearance for their role should be communicated and agreed-upon well in advance, possibly even in a formalized contract. Acting is a job like any other and your boss isn’t allowed to spring things on you that you didn’t literally sign up for. Throwing a fit because an actor got into better shape is the opposite of what is “fair,” the exact sort of unprofessional bullying that Whedon has become disgraced for.

That being said…I’ve never actually heard of this instance, of Whedon being mad that Brendon got more fit. Is there a first-hand source for this? Not that I don’t think it’s something this dingle-douche is capable of, but I’d like to hear the actual details of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have no links or anything to hearing about that, just something I vaguely remember from years of reading buffy forums and news. This may have also been a dispute not just between Brendon and Whdeon but Whedon and the WB.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I personally saw Brendan at a Buffy panel where he talked about being shamed for getting fit but he didn't name Joss.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BrianWilly posted:

That being said…I’ve never actually heard of this instance, of Whedon being mad that Brendon got more fit. Is there a first-hand source for this? Not that I don’t think it’s something this dingle-douche is capable of, but I’d like to hear the actual details of this.

Yeah, I wonder the same. This story feels apocryphal because I've heard lots of variations that are all different levels of dramatic or confrontational, and few of them agree beyond some basic details. What I initially understood was that Nicholas Brendan was hoping for a more action-oriented role for his character starting in S4, and he got in better shape to serve that, but that Whedon didn't happen to share that plan for the character. Not that he was specifically upset Xander "got in shape," or changed his story as retaliation or anything.

I have no idea if the Initiative plot was supposed to involve Xander, which is commonly claimed. Though that would've made sense: he graduated directionless, felt insecure in his masculinity, knew a lot about supernatural poo poo by S4, and easily might've enlisted in the military to find camaraderie and purpose. And it would take some weight off the one Halloween episode where Xander became a soldier, a well the show dips into far too many times.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Just saw this recently and it made me smile. What other shows have you seen Buffy referenced on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g74C3p2wB0

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pan Dulce posted:

Just saw this recently and it made me smile. What other shows have you seen Buffy referenced on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g74C3p2wB0

Not specifically Buffy but on Eureka the Fargo character has a huge crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Meanwhile, Castle did a fun Firefly bit in the same episode above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGzyXUGqcc

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of Buffy cameos in shows, have any of y'all played Marvel's Midnight Suns? Apparently, Blade's favorite show is Buffy!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Passion of the Nerd released his The Body video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX-N44ntQZw

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

This thread is probably dead, but WOAH, Angel apparently had a fascination for blondes ever since he was young. Hahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjraQ19cWho

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Coincidentally, we just started season seven with my TV group. The first three episodes are all pretty good, except the end of Beneath You where Spike's in the church and you're sort of watching the show clunkily position Spike back into being a love interest.

The little family that Xander, Buffy and Dawn have formed here is pretty good, and I honestly kind of wish this was the show's end game for the characters. It's a comfortable fit, and I'd rather that than Anya go back to being with Xander, or Buffy hooking up with nuSpike. Que sera sera.

Selfless is coming up in two weeks and I'm so loving excited for it. Contains one of the best dramatic cuts in all TV IMO.

Anya and Emma Caulfield aren't really part of the show's iconic set-up, and I think they get overlooked a little in comparison to some of the other late stage additions (Dawn) but I really loving love what she does with the role, and I appreciate that the show finally pivots around to thinking about her as an independent operator in this final season. If only briefly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pan Dulce posted:

This thread is probably dead, but WOAH, Angel apparently had a fascination for blondes ever since he was young. Hahaha!
I remember Boreanaz being like "I was walking a dog and some guy was like "eyyyyy you wanna be in a show?" about his breaking into showbiz. That must have been like 6 years before Buffy or something.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I haven't watched Buffy, but is there a situation where she slays vampires by stabbing them through the heart?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Metaphorically? Yes, definitely

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This cheerleader slays the competition, but before she tackles the forces of darkness, she'll find a way to pierce the audience's hearts with her quick with and sassy fashion sense!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

covidstomper58 posted:

I haven't watched Buffy, but is there a situation where she slays vampires by stabbing them through the heart?

No that literally never happens

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Does it drive anyone else crazy when people call something a Whedon-clone or Whedon-bait because it has a lot of quips? Like yeah, those old shows had a lot of jokes, but they didn't really stand out in that aspect from other fantasy/sci-fi shows of the era like Xena. Action/Adventure shows have been doing the "hero delivers a one-liner in a serious situation" thing since before TV was a thing.

I feel like the actual elements of the Whedon formula were divided loyalties in the main cast (Buffy/Spike, Angel/Wesley, Mal/Jayne), sudden double-crosses and loyalty games, basically all things to add soap-style spice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The language compulsively minimizing tension is probably what they mean, but most of the 'well THAT just happened' stuff is not from weedin'.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Coincidentally, we just started season seven with my TV group. The first three episodes are all pretty good, except the end of Beneath You where Spike's in the church and you're sort of watching the show clunkily position Spike back into being a love interest.

The little family that Xander, Buffy and Dawn have formed here is pretty good, and I honestly kind of wish this was the show's end game for the characters. It's a comfortable fit, and I'd rather that than Anya go back to being with Xander, or Buffy hooking up with nuSpike. Que sera sera.

I actually loved that scene in the church. It has so many underlying themes of talking to God, talking to the First, and talking to Buffy, to all begging forgiveness, knowing he shouldn't get it. I'm still haunted by two lines. "To be the kind of man who would never... to be a kind of man," and "Am I flesh then? Feed on flesh. My flesh. Fine. Flesh then. Solid through. Get it hard, service the girl." Both show his regrets over nearly raping her, the second one showing how hurt he was by being treated like a vampire sex slave with no emotions by Buffy. Also, it shows the wishy-washy rules Whedon had for vampires. They're supposed to have no consciences, not regret anything or love purely. But you can tell Spike can feel hurt, he can love, and he can feel sorry for what he's done before he got the soul. The soul just amplified what was already there.

Not to mention Xander? That mansplain-y "nice guy." Who told Buffy Riley was a love she should run after, despite him getting suck jobs on the side? The guy who tore Anya's heart apart? HIM ending up with Buffy? Nah, gently caress that noise. I'm still insulted he ends up with Dawn in the Dark Horse comics, although it makes it funny to look back on ones episode where he's like, "I'm going to marry that girl," and it's Anya AND Dawn dancing near the cash register.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah Whedon does a pretty good job with tone. Sure, his stuff will undercut a dramatic moment when it wants to, but not at the expense of the story it's trying to tell. When it's time to get serious, the story gets serious, and they frequently do. Otherwise it's fine to have a laugh.

Fresh in my mind because I just saw it -- "Same Place, Same Time" has some jokes, but they mostly bail out by the time the climax comes around, and that climax is genuinely creepy and weird with the skin eating and all. But as soon as the villain is dispatched the show cuts to Dawn doing a slapstick comedy pratfall in her comic relief subplot. It doesn't undermine the horror going on in Willow's subplot, because it's not a joke at the monster's expense, and it doesn't act against the emotions in her subplot, because it comes when the character's experiencing a moment of cathartic relief.

But you could imagine how many "ewwh your breath stinks!" jokes that could have been shoved into the scene and how generic and tension destroying that poo poo would be. But that's of course the point, a lot of these films with "Whedonesque dialogue" aren't actually meant to be genuinely tense since that doesn't focus test well.

sebmojo posted:

'well THAT just happened'

Ironically, when people are quoting that they're actually quoting David Mamet.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 18, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, when people poo poo on it for that kind of stuff I always get the impression they’ve only watched a context-free compilation of the gang’s snarkiest moments and either know nothing about or completely ignore all the times the show rips your heart out and squeezes every last drop of blood from it.

Anyway, the last few years of trauma and despair had me reevaluating my opinion of S6 as it lands a lot better for me now, despite a few faults here and there.

Great = 3 > 5 > 2 > 6
Mid = 1 > 4
Worthless = 7

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like the opening of 7, the first few episodes basically when they still have demons saying "from beneath you it devours" all spooky like. The episode with all the dead people that people have conversations with, can't remember the name of it, is quite good too. There's just endless missed opportunities in the rest of the season unfortunately. So I wouldn't call it worthless personally but it is probably one of the weaker seasons to me.

I'd agree with that otherwise though, Seasons 2 and 3 are tip top, I don't like 5 quite as much apart from the last few episodes where it kicks into extremely high gear (and the Body, which destroyed me of course).

My favourite part of Buffy/Angel when I was a kid and watching them for the first time was the cool monster designs/mythology and post Season 4, it felt like cool monsters appeared a lot less, you got your rando vampire to get staked before a conversation and then very occasionally a monster. Gnarl in Season 7 was a cool design and the actor playing him did a good job. I had a book all about the various monsters and the thought that went into their design and makeup and stuff.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, when people poo poo on it for that kind of stuff I always get the impression they’ve only watched a context-free compilation of the gang’s snarkiest moments and either know nothing about or completely ignore all the times the show rips your heart out and squeezes every last drop of blood from it.

Anyway, the last few years of trauma and despair had me reevaluating my opinion of S6 as it lands a lot better for me now, despite a few faults here and there.

Great = 3 > 5 > 2 > 6
Mid = 1 > 4
Worthless = 7

I’ll take season 4 over 2 any day. Not only does it have two of the best Buffy episodeS, the fight with Adam is cool, and there is no Faith or Angel.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

The episode with all the dead people that people have conversations with, can't remember the name of it, is quite good too.

You had every word in that sentence. Conversations with Dead People.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sebmojo posted:

The language compulsively minimizing tension is probably what they mean, but most of the 'well THAT just happened' stuff is not from weedin'.

Reminded that the Tweet that was passed around about 'forbidden jokes' (because they were stale) that some writer's room had up on a whiteboard and that phrase was not only on there but faded enough it had been on there a while.

And honestly Whedon got worse about cutting the legs out of tension with a quip as time went on and it's more prevalent in the stuff he wrote personally.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kilus aof posted:

You had every word in that sentence. Conversations with Dead People.

i was about to make that post but i'm p sure :thejoke:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Dawgstar posted:

Reminded that the Tweet that was passed around about 'forbidden jokes' (because they were stale) that some writer's room had up on a whiteboard and that phrase was not only on there but faded enough it had been on there a while.

And honestly Whedon got worse about cutting the legs out of tension with a quip as time went on and it's more prevalent in the stuff he wrote personally.

Funnily enough, this got posted in a different thread I was reading fairly recently. It was the 'Workaholics' writers' room:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PizzaProwler posted:

Funnily enough, this got posted in a different thread I was reading fairly recently. It was the 'Workaholics' writers' room:

are any of those in buffy? i think you could make your own board with buffyisms, tbqf

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sebmojo posted:

are any of those in buffy? i think you could make your own board with buffyisms, tbqf

Certainly some of them. 'Good talk,' 'No, just me?' 'Little help' and some others, for sure. Fortunately Buffy made it out before the era of 'Hashtag blank' and bacon supremacy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There was, what, a decade between Buffy and that whiteboard? IMO it'd be weird for Buffy not to have a few of those lines.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Oasx posted:

I’ll take season 4 over 2 any day. Not only does it have two of the best Buffy episodeS, the fight with Adam is cool, and there is no Faith or Angel.

Well there's no Faith in 2, and there is definitely both Faith and Angel (albeit much less of them) in 4.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Well, ages later, I finally saw The New Mutants on Disney+ and was surprised to see the kids watching Buffy! There's the Willow and Tara kiss, foreshadowing a relationship in the movie, and a scene from The Gentlemen episode, which is everything to do with fear, which in turn, is also thematically appropriate to the film.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Buffy had a lot of quips in it, but I think it lands completely differently than a lot of more modern quippy media because I think there's an undertone of the characters making a lot of quips because it's their way of dealing with the fact that they're a bunch of teenagers that have been thrust into life and death struggles with inhuman monsters.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Colonel Cool posted:

Buffy had a lot of quips in it, but I think it lands completely differently than a lot of more modern quippy media because I think there's an undertone of the characters making a lot of quips because it's their way of dealing with the fact that they're a bunch of teenagers that have been thrust into life and death struggles with inhuman monsters.

Yeah, it's an extremely quippy show, but there's also a lot of genuinely harrowing moments which are as dramatic as the jokes are funny. It's not all fun and games. In some way, I think what made the quips stand out was that they coming from a show which was at least horror-adjacent, not a sitcom or whatever.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
so was her name jenny calendar because her days were numbered

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The actress’s name was also LaMorte which always made me chuckle.

The clue was in the credits!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Didn't she also become, like, hyper-Christian a couple years after she was off the show and sort of denounced it, or something?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O yeah.

And she was a dancer for Prince or something.

Robia LaMorte is a weird egg.

Nodbarnacle
Dec 23, 2007
figment
Who wants to watch Firefly? I am a captain with no distinguishable characterizes. Try to catch my good side.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Fun fact: high school teacher Robia LaMorte is about two weeks older than high school student Charisma Carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Fun fact: high school teacher Robia LaMorte is about two weeks older than high school student Charisma Carpenter.

To be fair, no matter how they styled her, Charisma NEVER looked like a teen, at least, in my opinion.