Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
i find the suggestion that elon has been shadow banned in the past few years absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wow 发发发

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I do wonder how many people blocked Elon that one weekend when they fixed the algorithm so it only showed Elon posts and emoticon replies

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Rubellavator posted:

https://twitter.com/TitterDaily/status/1670114812813099011

I was wondering what went into "reputation score", and it's apparently just how many times someone gets reported. So twitter was preventing people who were reported a lot from trending. Sounds useful to me? Maybe not very sophisticated but practical, and not exactly a shadowban. Could have been used as a stop-gap measure while they were developing something better.

I disagree, its actually pretty bad and you only have to consider it from the perspective of a sympathetic person who might be the victim of targeted harassment, like a member of the LGBT community, a vocal feminist, pro-palestine, etc. etc.

any system that automatically inflicts punishment based on a large number of user reports is subject to brigading and WILL be abused.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

I disagree, its actually pretty bad and you only have to consider it from the perspective of a sympathetic person who might be the victim of targeted harassment, like a member of the LGBT community, a vocal feminist, pro-palestine, etc. etc.

any system that automatically inflicts punishment based on a large number of user reports is subject to brigading and WILL be abused.

Yeah, it is abused constantly and it almost never sees the proper intended effect against the kinds of lovely accounts that could do with a shadowban, especially now that Elon has said "racism is good, actually"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Surely this overture toward transparency won't just give the worst people in the world another thing to needle on about

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

this is the first time hearing about this. impressive!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
what they don't mention in that tweet is that Musk has a nuclear warhead inside a giant drill aimed at the earth's core. Based.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My current projections shows Twitter is worth a gajillion billion dollars Elon you are amazing sir please let me lick your shoes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol pretty sure they used gpt for this dumb bullshit

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Elon and Joe Rogan are sure having a normal one

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

could musk like, pay people 100 bucks to throw away their smoke detectors

would that be legal

itd cost like 12B which he could swing

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

RC Cola posted:

Elon and Joe Rogan are sure having a normal one

without even fully knowing the context of what is going on i can say objectively that peter hotez is correct and rogan, musk, and rfk jr (dream blunt rotation for a plane about to crash into a mountain) are incorrect

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
Oh I think I figured out the game with those weird bots that are constantly following me (2-3 a day now.) I thought it was weird that they don't post anything, don't like anything, don't reply to anything, they just follow hundreds and hundreds of people. I just noticed that one of the more explicit looking (obviously AI generated) avatars had significantly more followers than the rest. Maybe the con they're pulling is to just follow tons of people, then anyone clueless enough to follow back their obvious fake accounts they DM to catfish or otherwise scam them? Does that sound right? Otherwise I just can't see the point of this.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Oh I think I figured out the game with those weird bots that are constantly following me (2-3 a day now.) I thought it was weird that they don't post anything, don't like anything, don't reply to anything, they just follow hundreds and hundreds of people. I just noticed that one of the more explicit looking (obviously AI generated) avatars had significantly more followers than the rest. Maybe the con they're pulling is to just follow tons of people, then anyone clueless enough to follow back their obvious fake accounts they DM to catfish or otherwise scam them? Does that sound right? Otherwise I just can't see the point of this.

those are elon's brave footsoldiers following everyone to counteract the power of the shadowban

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
is bluesky or whatevr still a thing

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Jazerus posted:

those are elon's brave footsoldiers following everyone to counteract the power of the shadowban

I held back on voicing this because its too dumb, but honestly I was starting to suspect that maybe these bots were created by twitter to bolster user numbers once they announced that they would be culling old accounts and realized the number of real active users has dropped dramatically. Like I think I mentioned before that I'm getting the phenomenon where I get more likes than people listed in the "liked by" page and maybe that's some kind of test to make the numbers bigger and make the platform seem more active... I know its a crazy theory and theres obviously more reasonable explanations but I feel like saying this now so that if it turns out that the crazy thing is true I'll seem smart for noticing it first, instead of just lucky.

IN ANY CASE, I do think its crazy how many more bots I'm seeing now than I did before Elon. And that was his biggest complaint! What a goofball.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
I suspect it's just bots mass following people because some percentage of people follow back, and then you have a twitter account that amassed a significant number of followers, which you can sell

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ELTON JOHN posted:

yeah yesterday the discourse was about posting photos of cum sandwiches

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ELTON JOHN posted:

go bloosk about it and find out

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

go bloosk about it and find out

posts are called skeets there

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

500 good dogs posted:

posts are called skeets there

not any more

eyyyy, I'm blooskin' ovah heah!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I held back on voicing this because its too dumb, but honestly I was starting to suspect that maybe these bots were created by twitter to bolster user numbers once they announced that they would be culling old accounts and realized the number of real active users has dropped dramatically. Like I think I mentioned before that I'm getting the phenomenon where I get more likes than people listed in the "liked by" page and maybe that's some kind of test to make the numbers bigger and make the platform seem more active... I know its a crazy theory and theres obviously more reasonable explanations but I feel like saying this now so that if it turns out that the crazy thing is true I'll seem smart for noticing it first, instead of just lucky.

IN ANY CASE, I do think its crazy how many more bots I'm seeing now than I did before Elon. And that was his biggest complaint! What a goofball.
No way! What a coincidence. I'm also getting more likes.
Likes for days. They just can't get enough of me.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

500 good dogs posted:

yeah yesterday the discourse was about posting photos of cum sandwiches

sounds rad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
bluesky exists but will never be a thing

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hoshi posted:

i find the suggestion that elon has been shadow banned in the past few years absurd

How else can you explain how none of Elon's tweets got 5M likes???

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

this is incredibly funny.

dying twitter update

https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1670451799294193666?s=20

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Jun 18, 2023

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1666947797847769091

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

This is how you know twitter is dying.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
100 billion is much more than 44 billion

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shipon posted:

there have been a lot of contenders for worst post of all time

this might be one of them, truly

If that tweet is in earnest it's one of the funniest and saddest thing I've ever seen.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

We all feel it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I still don't know what "Digg" is, or was.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elon Musk Ftw.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I still don't know what "Digg" is, or was.

the missing link between fark and reddit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tag yourself etc etc.

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1670246517477867521

amazing chessboard setup, microphones and arms are small and unobtrusive, musk showing off his heels

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

tag yourself etc etc.

amazing chessboard setup, microphones and arms are small and unobtrusive, musk showing off his heels

mad?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

tag yourself etc etc.

Ah, he's so cute in his widdle cowboy boots :3:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
id sweep the chessboard at the end of the interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Al! posted:

id sweep the chessboard at the end of the interview