Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There is something either wrong or non-standard about the treb’s ammo tracking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh yeah, the math is already done on the mechsheets, one of the most powerful arguments against mix and matching.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Oh, even better then. Is it going to open fire during Turn 3 or after Turn 3, i.e. do we have two turns after this one or three?

Actually speaking of, I sent in orders for "Turn 0", would you prefer we use the Turn number listed in the update or should we do N+1?

The DropShip will fire during turn three, then every two turns afterwards, ie. turn five, seven, nine, etc. Turn orders should be N+1, but it's not really worth re-sending them if you get it wrong. At the end of the day as long as you get them in it's all good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SIGSEGV posted:

MGs only consume one ammo unit per shot but missile weapons shoot their rating in ammo, a LRM 20 will launch 20 LRMs, this is because you can mix and match all sizes of LRM launchers and they pull from the same ammo pool, while there's only one size of MG ammo launcher (*)(**)(***)(****).

LRMs come in multiple speedloaders, basically. One unit of LRM-20 ammo is a 20-rack of LRMs shaped to fit whatever fuckin shape they put your LRM-20 in.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Defiance Industries posted:

LRMs come in multiple speedloaders, basically. One unit of LRM-20 ammo is a 20-rack of LRMs shaped to fit whatever fuckin shape they put your LRM-20 in.

This isn’t usually how ammo works in battletech, though

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Captain Foo posted:

What types of ammo are interchangeable between classes of weapons? AC ammo comes in belts that aren't swappable between sizes, and you can't mix light or heavy machine gun ammo with the standard stuff.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
All weapons track their ammo by the number of times the weapon can be fired regardless of how many shots come out, barring stuff like Ultra ACs which aren't on the table. It's just that when a weapon fires one shot, the shots you imagine being fired are naturally going to match the ammo count. 16 LRM-15 shots on a unit's sheet are 16 separate chances to fire one LRM.

That being said, the TBT-5S does appear to be carrying 80 shots for those SRM-6s compared to the more normal looking count of 15 on the Scorpion, I'm going to assume that's either a typo or displaying the "real" missile count as opposed to being the most optimistically designed mech of all time with all internal space filled with ammo.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Captain Foo posted:

Your confusion is almost certainly coming from the computer games, which almost invariably simplify it to just "LRM ammo", but that isn't how it has ever worked in tabletop. This is because tracking it that way makes much easier to just record with a tally mark or similar, speeding play.

That 16 shots of LRM-15 ammo is 16 salvos, not 16 individual missiles, and can only be fired from an LRM-15. One ton of LRM-15 ammunition contains 8 salvos, the Trebuchet carries two tons.

Mechs like the Commando (which had a SRM-4 and a SRM-6) from last mission that have two sizes of the same launcher have to have two separate ammunition systems, because SRM-4 ammo can not be used in a SRM-2 or SRM-6.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

That being said, the TBT-5S does appear to be carrying 80 shots for those SRM-6s compared to the more normal looking count of 15 on the Scorpion, I'm going to assume that's either a typo or displaying the "real" missile count as opposed to being the most optimistically designed mech of all time with all internal space filled with ammo.

The TBT-5S sheet Scintilla posted quite clearly says "30" shots, not "80". SRM-6 has 15 shots per ton, the TBT-5S carries two tons. The ammunition count is correct.

If it were the "real" ammo count, it would be even more nonsensical, because there are 90 missiles in each ton of SRM-6 ammo (as opposed to 100 missiles in each ton of SRM-2 or SRM-4 ammo).

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 17, 2023

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oops. Well, I was pretty tired and didn't zoom in on the real image, just pulled up the timg and leaned in. It's okay though, you don't need to have functioning eyes or a brain to pilot a battlemech.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gnoman posted:

Your confusion is almost certainly coming from the computer games, which almost invariably simplify it to just "LRM ammo", but that isn't how it has ever worked in tabletop. This is because tracking it that way makes much easier to just record with a tally mark or similar, speeding play.

That 16 shots of LRM-15 ammo is 16 salvos, not 16 individual missiles, and can only be fired from an LRM-15. One ton of LRM-15 ammunition contains 8 salvos, the Trebuchet carries two tons.

Mechs like the Commando (which had a SRM-4 and a SRM-6) from last mission that have two sizes of the same launcher have to have two separate ammunition systems, because SRM-4 ammo can not be used in a SRM-2 or SRM-6.

The TBT-5S sheet Scintilla posted quite clearly says "30" shots, not "80". SRM-6 has 15 shots per ton, the TBT-5S carries two tons. The ammunition count is correct.

If it were the "real" ammo count, it would be even more nonsensical, because there are 90 missiles in each ton of SRM-6 ammo (as opposed to 100 missiles in each ton of SRM-2 or SRM-4 ammo).

[checks total warfare]

huh holy poo poo that is wild. funny what brains do sometimes

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm still waiting for orders from one player. If they're not in my inbox by tomorrow morning I may have to :siren:assume direct control:siren:.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oops I'm bad at time zones. Pming now!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: Turn 1

“I’m taking fire.” Louis Belkof’s voice crackled. “Contacts are moving up across the board.”

As he spoke a flight of LRMs streaked between the hills to the north of the crash site. Most fell short or veered off-course as their guidance systems failed, but a handful burst against Hauptmann Sterling’s Warhammer. The Heavy Mech strode through the detonations, its armour dented and blackened but still intact.

“Well, it looks like the hornets are starting to buzz,” Sterling said dryly. “Hardcase, can you get a bead on that launcher?”

Archibald Grumman smiled wolfishly as he dropped his crosshairs over the offending target. His trigger finger itched fiercely, but he held himself back while he relayed a confirmation. “Already have, Sabre. Tank at twelve o’clock. Looks like a Scorpion variant.”

“I see it. We’ll go two for two.”

Archibald’s thumb immediately stabbed at his firing stud. His Blackjack’s control panel dimmed slightly as his mech’s twin Large Lasers discharged. Strings of garbage data briefly flickered across his HUD, and a mechanical voice intoned, “Warning! Ammunition depleted!”

Archibald ignored both the voice and his scrambled display. The Large Lasers were not part of his mech’s original design, and while Sam Kost was a brilliant engineer even he couldn’t completely reconfigure a battlemech without a few glitches. The Blackjack’s ammunition bins had been removed during the refit, but the mech’s DI Computer hadn’t quite come to terms with it yet. Thankfully the issues were all superficial – the Blackjack’s new weapons were fully functional.

As the ruby red spears of Archibald’s lasers stabbed at the tank they were joined by the brilliant blue of Sterling’s PPCs. Plumes of dust and vaporised soil billowed up into the air as the beams converged, making it impossible to see whether either of them had scored a hit. With luck it should have at least put the fear of God into the tank’s crew, and discourage further ranging fire.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires PPC at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires PPC at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Hunchback HBK-4G (Player); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM-5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 10: 4 missiles Hit! Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) takes 4 damage to Centre Torso, 30/34 Armour remaining.
-Fires LRM-10 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers):
-Connecting power supply…

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 18 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) gains 21 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 1 heat.

--

Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat Josiah Preston (0/1)
-Neutralise remaining Prowler forces (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
-Secure the crash site without damaging the Eagle Standard (250,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 20th 9:00PM GMT.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hahaha i love that ammunition depleted warning on the blackjack

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I already feel like an absolute goober for turning in the opposite direction of everyone else. I had an idea involving the high ground one turn and dashing into the woods the next, but I forgot that the light squad would probably be moving fast and therefore stacking evasion pretty hard.

I could either continue my dumbass plan by climbing the hill and shooting at the little guys with a highly inaccurate LRM volley, dash into the woods with intent to laser the hell out of them next turn, or say “no” and turn around to join the skirmish with a slightly more accurate set of LRM volleys

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Archibald’s thumb immediately stabbed at his firing stud. His Blackjack’s control panel dimmed slightly as his mech’s twin Large Lasers discharged. Strings of garbage data briefly flickered across his HUD, and a mechanical voice intoned, “Warning! Ammunition depleted!”

Lol fantastic

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

It's so good. It had me scratching my head for a few moments before it dawned on me.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
What's worse is that every time you boot up the Blackjack Clippy starts asking if you need help loading your mech's ammo bays.

glwgameplayer posted:

I already feel like an absolute goober for turning in the opposite direction of everyone else. I had an idea involving the high ground one turn and dashing into the woods the next, but I forgot that the light squad would probably be moving fast and therefore stacking evasion pretty hard.

I could either continue my dumbass plan by climbing the hill and shooting at the little guys with a highly inaccurate LRM volley, dash into the woods with intent to laser the hell out of them next turn, or say “no” and turn around to join the skirmish with a slightly more accurate set of LRM volleys

Don't worry about it, you're at worst 1 or two moves behind and by the looks of things the fight is coming to us.

My initial thought for my move this turn is to walk to 2309 and hit the LRM Scorpion tank on 9s. That spot puts woods between me and everything that could shoot at me. Next turn I might just back up to the north, if they're so eager to give up their dropship's shadow I don't mind letting them.

From 2309 I also have shots on 10s at the Firestarter but tbh super short range mechs like that are pretty badly defanged by always losing initiative. I could be persuaded otherwise if we want to try focusing fire on it, though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dachshundofdoom posted:

What's worse is that every time you boot up the Blackjack Clippy starts asking if you need help loading your mech's ammo bays.

Terrifying thought

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Just wanting to say again, loving the writing. Can't wait to see what you guys do. Scorpion and... other Scorpion are pretty open. The STG/Galleon Lance isn't very dangerous yet but are coming in fast.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Captain Foo posted:

I wanted at least one mech to have a few quirky glitches. Having the Blackjack be a refit gave me the perfect excuse.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
If no one has any advice for me I think what I'm going to do is just, back up 3 spaces, turn, and then walk right behind where the Hunchback is now, tile 2308 I think. From there I... can't really tell whether I have a line of sight or not? But the only ones that seem worth firing on would be the scorpions. The Mech and the Tank.

I could also Run, but I think the best I could do then is get in the Hunchback's spot. And once again, trying to conserve LRMs for later

Oh also, can someone give me a quick rundown of the melee rules? Not everything but just a little crash course? I’m not sure if it will be necessary but as the quickest mech in the lance it might fall to me to chase down and kick/punch the stinger if it gets uppity

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 19, 2023

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

glwgameplayer posted:

If no one has any advice for me I think what I'm going to do is just, back up 3 spaces, turn, and then walk right behind where the Hunchback is now, tile 2308 I think. From there I... can't really tell whether I have a line of sight or not? But the only ones that seem worth firing on would be the scorpions. The Mech and the Tank.

I could also Run, but I think the best I could do then is get in the Hunchback's spot. And once again, trying to conserve LRMs for later

Oh also, can someone give me a quick rundown of the melee rules? Not everything but just a little crash course? I’m not sure if it will be necessary but as the quickest mech in the lance it might fall to me to chase down and kick/punch the stinger if it gets uppity

It's ultimately up to you, but I see a few places you could go that have interesting potential. If you run to 1704 and turn to face 1604, the Stinger is sitting right in the LRM sweet spot, giving you shots on 9s and forcing any return fire to be going into Light Woods. From there you can run back towards us or even keep climbing the mountain next turn. Another place you could go is 2306 facing 2307. You wouldn't have any shots this turn but you'd be set to walk into 2310 next turn, which would put them in an awkward position where if they move up a little bit to draw us towards the dropship they're risking being in your sweet spot with bad movemods, but if they try to move much closer they're approaching a zone where we could all focus fire one of them while they're overextended.

As for melee: melee uses your piloting skill instead of your gunnery, so your base to-hit would be 5 instead of 4. Melee is its own phase so you can melee a different target than you shot at without penalty. Punching does 1 damage per 10 tons, so for you that's 5 damage. A mech with two arms can punch twice, two separate rolls. You can't punch with an arm that fired any weapons on the same turn, so for all intents and purposes punching in your Trebuchet is the same damage as firing your arm-mounted MLs but with worse to-hit and no heat generation. Finally, punching occurs at height 2, so you can't punch a vehicle unless it's at height+1 relative to you. (I might be wrong and you just can't punch vehicles ever, I lost my Total Warfare PDF.)

Kicking doesn't restrict weapons. It does 1 damage per 5 tons (so 10 for you), gives a to-hit bonus such that it's easier to land hits, and if it hits it can force a piloting check in the enemy to avoid falling over, but it forces you to make a piloting check or fall over if you miss. You can only kick once per turn. Against mechs, kicks roll on a damage location table that makes it so you can only really hit the other mech's legs, assuming you're on the same height. Kicking does work on vehicles on the same height level as you. It's worth pointing out for people only familiar with the HBS computer game that there is no "double damage melee" rule for vehicles.

Anyway, just going to go ahead and confirm for the team that I'm heading to 2309 in the Warhammer and shooting the LRM Scorpion.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm thinking to head in to the light woods at 1808 for now as I work around to the west side hill. I think depending on where the enemies move I may end up shooting for somewhere around hex 1314, it'll let me get cover from the dropship while moving in to ideal AC20 range. I will straight up one shot the stinger or Galleons with an AC20 hit anywhere on them, and if they have to slow down as they approach I should be able to land it.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Moving to Hex 2306, facing 2307

I'm just going to use myself as a threat zone for now. If these guys keep moving up recklessly they'll head directly into my range. If they hang back that's fine too, I'll push a little bit if I have to. Preferably while the Dropship is readying another shot. To be honest I'm more nervous not opening fire than I would be if I was currently in the thick of it

I don't think I'll be doing much melee considering all my weapons are arm mounted and they deal about the same damage. Especially if evasion works the same for Melee and Ranged attacks. But as the fastest mech on our team I volunteer to try to kick the Stinger or Firestarter if they get too annoying with their evasion

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 20, 2023

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Kicking doesn't restrict weapons. It does 1 damage per 5 tons (so 10 for you), gives a to-hit bonus such that it's easier to land hits, and if it hits it can force a piloting check in the enemy to avoid falling over, but it forces you to make a piloting check or fall over if you miss. You can only kick once per turn. Against mechs, kicks roll on a damage location table that makes it so you can only really hit the other mech's legs, assuming you're on the same height. Kicking does work on vehicles on the same height level as you. It's worth pointing out for people only familiar with the HBS computer game that there is no "double damage melee" rule for vehicles.

Just for clarification, you cannot kick with any leg that has fired any leg mounted weapons, same as not being able to punch with any arms that fired any arm mounted weapons. This just usually doesn't come up, because the number of 'Mechs with leg mounted weapons are relatively few in number. Some notable ones that you may see are the CDA-3C we just saw a little while ago (leg mounted MGs), Wasps (one leg mounted SRM, so you could just kick with the other leg), and the Crusader (leg mounted SRMs).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

In the future you might see it happen more as I believe anti-infantry pods are mounted on the legs pretty often.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What's the deadline for sending in orders? End of day Tuesday in the US?

Asking because I'm on UTC+8 and it's almost 11am Tuesday here.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

anakha posted:

What's the deadline for sending in orders? End of day Tuesday in the US?

Asking because I'm on UTC+8 and it's almost 11am Tuesday here.

Tuesdays & Saturdays at 21:00 UTC, about 18 hours from now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

So the team positions right now are:
  • Treb to 2306
  • Hammer to 2309
  • Hunchie to 1808(?)

I'm actually thinking of holding position where I am in 2207. I'd be out of LOS to the Scorpion Mech and I'm not that concerned about the firepower of the Scorpion tank, and I'd be out of range of everyone else. That position also allows me to jump up the hills to the west into cover if the Stinger tries a backstab next turn.

I could also move backwards 3 hexes to 2204 to put me at the Scorpion tank's long range bracket (I'd still be at long range for my LLs either way) and still have the flexibility to jump for the hills next turn.

Anybody have other suggested moves for me?

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 20, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Actually if you want to jump to 1808, I'll take 1709. I need to stay out of the woods for now to give me movement flexibility next turn, but since you have jets, no reason not to take advantage of them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Actually if you want to jump to 1808, I'll take 1709. I need to stay out of the woods for now to give me movement flexibility next turn, but since you have jets, no reason not to take advantage of them.

Nah you can take 1808. I don't have a shot on the Scorpion tank from there, and the to-hit penalty for jumping isn't worth the repositioning right now. A +3 on my to-hit vs a +2 on the enemy's to-hit isn't to my advantage without bringing range into play yet.

Learned the hard way on megamek that slower jumpers should really use their jumpjets as a defensive maneuver (such as jumping out of LOS to cool down) or for point-blank backstabs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I just figure with us having such poo poo gunnery, no one is going to have remotely worthwhile shots this turn. So may as well take positions that set us up for the best possible moves next turn.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Dachshundofdoom posted:

It's worth pointing out for people only familiar with the HBS computer game that there is no "double damage melee" rule for vehicles.

This is entirely correct, but there IS a special melee situation that can occur with vehicles. While only one 'mech can be in a hex at once, vehicles can share a hex with another unit, including an enemy battlemech. Standard weapons cannot be fired at range 0, so a mech sharing a hex with a vehicle can't be attacked by said vehicle.

Kicks, on the other hand? Kicks can attack at range 0. Meaning that if you share a hex with a vehicle, it can't shoot you but you can kick it to your heart's content.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gnoman posted:

Kicks, on the other hand? Kicks can attack at range 0. Meaning that if you share a hex with a vehicle, it can't shoot you but you can kick it to your heart's content.

I am now imagining a mech just, stomping up and down on a tank. Over and over again

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

glwgameplayer posted:

I am now imagining a mech just, stomping up and down on a tank. Over and over again

Locust trying to stomp a demolisher to death lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It's one of the reasons immobile vehicles are frustrating. Just abandon your immobile vehicle and stop sinking initiative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Orders in - I thought about it some more and I agree now with Gwaihir's approach. Jumping to 1807 to position myself in anticipation of the Stinger and Firestarter making an aggressive move, and taking another potshot at the Scorpion tank.