Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah if you go to the /r/relationships thread on here, that steals reddit posts and talks about them, it may actually somehow be even worse than reddit.

It was a bad thread years ago, I can't imagine it's gotten better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

r/antiwork staying open is so funny to me.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they don't even want to larp activism, seriously what's the point of those people

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

meat police posted:

There was a longread about him and how he ran Sears regarding that that I've been searching for the past few months.

It detailed the meetings he was holding with his c suites I think as well

If you find the link archive.is has a backup.

zetamind2000 posted:

Another thing that made eddie lampert special was pointlessly spending his own money to keep the company going long after anyone else would have dynamited every store on the list

Nah, that's how he's sucking the money out of Sears. He'd graciously "bail them out" by purchasing the stores with his own private company, a REIT, then he'd lease them back to Sears. Each physical building is owned by it's own LLC and Lampert controls them.

Since the stores are doing so poorly he'd personally loan them money but set it up so that when Sears goes bankrupt he'll get paid out before the worker's pensions.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Crystal Thenis posted:

just kind of falling through SA and can’t quite get the rhyme or reason yet

but it’s better than a chinese state owned data harvester and you probably have at least one administrator who isn’t a nonce

Odds are!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kliras posted:

they don't even want to larp activism, seriously what's the point of those people

The idea that the arguably most popular "leftist" sub is just people complaining about work seems too on the nose to not be a psy-op of some sort :tinfoil:

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

meat police posted:

There was a longread about him and how he ran Sears regarding that that I've been searching for the past few months.

It detailed the meetings he was holding with his c suites I think as well

Ha, I think this is the article you're talking about.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

This guy is somehow worth $2 billion. Of course he runs Sears into the loving dirt with this stupid idea and has a massive yacht which is obviously called the Fountainhead.

Jesus Christ.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gorgeous Zan posted:

Ha, I think this is the article you're talking about.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

This guy is somehow worth $2 billion. Of course he runs Sears into the loving dirt with this stupid idea and has a massive yacht which is obviously called the Fountainhead.

Jesus Christ.
See this is how SA is so so much better than reddit

I had a 120 posts to read itt, it was a conversation between knowledgeable people, no kids or bots. I learned stuff, there was a related article someone was looking for and here somebody has provided what is probably the answer and if it isn't it's still interesting.^

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Silly question but... do we know for *sure* there aren't bots posting on SA?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm not sure, how do you feel about know for *sure* there aren't bots posting on SA?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The Bananana posted:

Silly question but...
do we know for *sure* there aren't
bots posting in here?

Motherfuck the haiku bot

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

The Bananana posted:

I need this on a tshirt

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
/r/NewYorksHottestClub/ is a good sub sometimes.

Toxic Mental posted:

Hilarious, the comment section is just endless dunking on reddit mods

I've never had a good interaction with a reddit mod, so I am quite enjoying them seeing being treated as lovely as they've treated the community.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

scab mod is a good name for a genre/era of fashion

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

2023 and goons still somehow pretend they're better than reddit

Lol, lmao even

The main thing SA's got going for it is that it's a pretty small community. I mean, imagine this forum with, like, 100 times as many people posting on it. It would not scale well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This guy has an entire series of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdyHX8K1yfY

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Spinz posted:

See this is how SA is so so much better than reddit

I had a 120 posts to read itt, it was a conversation between knowledgeable people, no kids or bots. I learned stuff, there was a related article someone was looking for and here somebody has provided what is probably the answer and if it isn't it's still interesting.^

Yes, the whole thing about threaded comments being good because you can immediately collapse anything your lizard brain doesn't clock as shiny is bad. That's not community, it's just another private curated space in a world where you pick and choose every word, song, movie, show & never need to be exposed to even a few sentences you haven't chosen.

That's not community. It's masquerading as community but it's just a bunch of isolated individual interactions, a liminal space, like how a mall food court or airport is bustling with conversations but no community.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i wish i was one of those guys that would post in those threads that just write all the lyrics to a song in order post by post, i bet they're so happy in life, just enjoying the simple things

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

The Bananana posted:

I mean we don't, but we at least know that if someone's going to create a bot to post here they've at least got enough confidence in it to shell out 10 bucks per registration attempt

not much of a hurdle admittedly but more than nothing

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Kazzah posted:

Motherfuck the haiku bot

Dumb question:
Do we know for sure
No bot here?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

r/pcgaming mods made some post about how they couldn’t possibly let Reddit install scab mods and betray their community so they’re simply going to reopen

What an insanely weak protest. There was never any threat.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

For those of you who don't actually visit reddit, r/pics was forced back open by the admins so they are protesting by posting nothing but sexy pictures of John Oliver, and it is wonderful. https://old.reddit.com/r/pics/

John Oliver has been informed: https://twitter.com/iamjohnoliver/status/1670179738348933120

Tagra fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 18, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Speaking of kmart and sears, there's something beautiful about the kmart subreddit tracking the few remaining stores

https://old.reddit.com/r/kmart/

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Tagra posted:

For those of you who don't actually visit reddit, r/pics was forced back open by the admins so they are protesting by posting nothing but sexy pictures of John Oliver, and it is wonderful. https://old.reddit.com/r/pics/

John Oliver has been informed: https://twitter.com/iamjohnoliver/status/1670179738348933120

gently caress yea.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Lick Joe posted:

Also I find it funny that people have been wanting a solution for powertripping mods for well over a decade, but two days of a protest and suddenly it's a huge issue to the point where they're suddenly planning on deploying systems for voting them out.

/r/SanDiego has for years been notoriously modded by one anti-sports guy living in Tempe AZ. Mentions of the Chargers at all, Padres / Slam Diego, SDSU Final Four - all shut down and posters banned almost instantly. The admin pares down the sub until its only tourists asking questions, which he can reply to and farm upvotes.

To be clear I'm not clever enough to have figured this out. There have been numerous creeds posted in /r/SanDiego, /r/SanDiegan, etc. where redditors laid it all out, especially after any major sporting event. Eventually it was discovered that Reddit flat out doesn't loving care who mods the sub, as long as someone does & the sub generates content. AFAIK that mod has never lived in San Diego, they were just the first digital squatter to get to that sub's URL 10+ years ago, became an admin, and then never relinquished control.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the same thing that happened to the sandiego reddit can happen here, like when that IK in the chili megathread chain probed anyone who talked about bean-in recipes until most bean enjoyers left the site entirely.

to this day you’ll find the forums still skew heavily to no-bean chili fanatics, despite it being considered a freakish and barbarous preference by the vast majority of people around the world. don’t underestimate the ability for a rogue moderator to slowly shape a community into something perverse, a twisted alternate reality seeping corruption like a tumor.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Apparently I could sell my account for like 50 bucks

I wonder what they would use it for. I would hope it's a LLM that broke free and is looking for an old reg date to be incognito

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.

Tiny Timbs posted:

r/pcgaming mods made some post about how they couldn’t possibly let Reddit install scab mods and betray their community so they’re simply going to reopen

What an insanely weak protest. There was never any threat.

Yeah, seems like if reddit installing scab mods would tank the community, then that's what the mods should let them do. Reddit will either shoot itself in the foot and realize it(lol) or they'll ruin their communities and people will move on to whatever else comes up. Most likely things will continue as they have, because the actual users don't really care about all this. Either way though, whatever power these mods thought they had is gone. They just can't accept it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

forest spirit posted:

Apparently I could sell my account for like 50 bucks

I wonder what they would use it for. I would hope it's a LLM that broke free and is looking for an old reg date to be incognito

That's 5 bot accounts you can run to reply to yourself and seem extra funny

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the mods should’ve unionized across the whole site, but they won’t, because every mod sees themself as a temporarily embarrassed admin

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

drat now that I consider it how many posts with

song
>lyrics
>>posted
>>>one
>>>>at
>>>>>a
>>>>>>time

were kicked off by someone with a small ego and couple of bots

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

to this day you’ll find the forums still skew heavily to no-bean chili fanatics, despite it being considered a freakish and barbarous preference by the vast majority of people around the world.
this is a good thing

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

the mods should’ve unionized across the whole site, but they won’t, because every mod sees themself as a temporarily embarrassed admin

So there are two San Diego subreddits. The main subreddit, r/SanDiego, is solo-moderated by a guy who lives in Arizona. This, in and of itself, is a capitol offense for San Diegans as they despise Zonies more than anything else. But he apparently also has terrible mod policies which he doesn't enforce evenly. Overall, the experience there was bad enough for local conversation that enough people split off to form a second subreddit, r/SanDiegan. The mods on the second subreddit aren't as zealous though, so you end up with the whiniest piss babies on the planet. The top post there is this one, complaining about the other subreddit. The users are actually happy with the new mod policy because they can finally oust the other mod and take the big subreddit over.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a quote from a reddit Moderator (it's the arizonan from /r/sandiego lol) that summarizes why all of the current mods should be removed because scabs would be better than people like this

quote:

I tell my moderators that we're best described as gardeners.

We till the soil, we plant seeds where needed, prune the trees when needed, pull the weeds and control the pests.
We also protect our sub's from outsiders stealing our gardens fruits trying to profit from our hard work. We protect our trees (users) from those that want to try to exploit and abuse them (we get a lot of these attempts)
We're successful when the sub is growing, bountiful and running smoothly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't really understand why so many Reddit mods use the garden or farm analogy, where they consider themselves a farmer protecting an orchard of crops or trees (shitposts) that they are somehow ultimately responsible for and deserve all of the credit for, usually explicitly referring to them as things like "products" or "bounty"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

moderators do seem to have a penchant for cultivating tender seedlings

Nurglings
May 6, 2016
the nba sub found out mods were posting about the finals in the sub during the blackout, mods proceed to hide try to hide the evidence

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/14cbtjv/who_here_is_in_favor_of_just_replacing_these_shit/

this has always been my big internal conflict w/r/t the blackout, yeah corporate reddit sucks but the mods might be the least sympathetic group of protestors ever

i also think the blackout was a dumb idea anyways, I think if the mods really believe the place would turn to poo poo without them and wanted corporate reddit to see that I think it would've been far more effective to just resign en masse and let corporate reddit witness it first hand... but that would require giving up the power they've been wasting years accumulating

there was a mod on r/weightroom that did just that a year or two ago, for pretty much the exact same reasons. mad respect for that guy, in hindsight.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bad Purchase posted:

moderators do seem to have a penchant for cultivating tender seedlings

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bad Purchase posted:

Unionize against the tyranny of the corporation we volunteer our free labor to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

AmbientParadox posted:

So there are two San Diego subreddits. The main subreddit, r/SanDiego, is solo-moderated by a guy who lives in Arizona.

To be fair, Tempe is six hours and a time zone away. New Yorkers would be pissed if someone living in DC was the solo admin of their sub.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's a quote from a reddit Moderator (it's the arizonan from /r/sandiego lol) that summarizes why all of the current mods should be removed because scabs would be better than people like this

:vince: reddit moderation in a nutshell.

Personal anecdote: I used to frequent /r/leaves (a sub for quitting cannabis consumption). Someone posted a question on there, asking if it were really the weed holding them back or was it underlying issues. I wrote up a two paragraph effortpost response, mostly noting that only two people have successfully consumed cannabis throughout their entire career - Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg. Cheech went straight a long time ago, Seth Rogan peaked with Superbad, and even Kevin Smith quit smoking weed. My reply was up for a few days, got some upvotes and responses, when an /r/leaves admin sent me an insultingly patronizing message summarized as - Since I hadn't given a personal anecdote, the post was against the rules and they had no choice but to delete it.