Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

when I was on the jury we had ample opportunity to submit questions

can't help you with wacky disregard statements but they haven't come up for me personally yet

possibly because the only remotely spicy case i sat for was a burglar who cased the house competently but did not successfully notice the camera across the street with a clear and decent resolution view of his van and license plate as he was loading up the loot

we didn't deliberate very long
My time as a juror, one trial involved the theft of a laptop from a house, where we got to see CCTV footage from the house next door that someone tried to break into on the same night - which was clear enough for the cops to go "Huh, that looks remarkably like known criminals Bob Bandylegs and Mike Mullet," go to their flat and find the stolen laptop in the otherwise empty bin outside their front door.

The defendants had pleaded not guilty, BTW. So I guess it's the Trump strategy on a smaller scale - drag things out for as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Payndz posted:

My time as a juror, one trial involved the theft of a laptop from a house, where we got to see CCTV footage from the house next door that someone tried to break into on the same night - which was clear enough for the cops to go "Huh, that looks remarkably like known criminals Bob Bandylegs and Mike Mullet," go to their flat and find the stolen laptop in the otherwise empty bin outside their front door.

The defendants had pleaded not guilty, BTW. So I guess it's the Trump strategy on a smaller scale - drag things out for as long as possible.

Can't wait for Bob Bandylegs to get elected US President and pardon themselves.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The waiting, the horrible waiting.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1669687538296946689

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1670165526214066177?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Is he a “lawyer” or is he a Lawyer? I hope it’s the former and that the stream will be funny tv.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

John Yoo next!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is he a “lawyer” or is he a Lawyer? I hope it’s the former and that the stream will be funny tv.
He is/soon to be was a lawyer. He started the law department at Chapman University, a big mostly conservative religious college in Orange County. I remember hearing him a lot on the local NPR station, they brought him on whenever they needed a “conservative” voice to round out discussion, and he always said the most deranged poo poo. Not straight up “we should bomb anyone globally who opposes us into glass” but not far from it.
Was not surprised in the least when his name started coming up in this poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Boris Galerkin posted:

From latter to former on Tuesday.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LOL. You know the California Bar is absolutely murderously angry at this when they are ordering his disbarment to be streamed.

Apparently got disbarred because of his actions in support of overturning the 2020 elections.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
When you become a lawyer you swear an oath to uphold the constitution, so it's probably that.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
"I want to see your disbarment streamed as a warning to the next ten generations that some things come at too high a cost. I'll look up at your destroyed career and wave, just like this."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

He's one of those Federalist Society types who has a real law degree and has held real law jobs, but has spent every moment of their decades-long legal career working for conservatives to push conservative causes, and in return getting those conservative causes to pad his resume with empty job titles so that he can pursue bigger and more prestigious conservative advocacy jobs.

Because of that, it's hard to know how much of his stance is true believerism vs cynical willingness to push any argument that advances his cause. But by mid-2020, he was writing op-eds arguing that birthright citizenship isn't real and therefore Kamala Harris was ineligible to be VP.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Televisio Frankus posted:

"I want to see your disbarment streamed as a warning to the next ten generations that some things come at too high a cost. I'll look up at your destroyed career and wave, just like this."

I want you to know I see this Babylon 5 reference and I appreciate it.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Main Paineframe posted:

He's one of those Federalist Society types who has a real law degree and has held real law jobs, but has spent every moment of their decades-long legal career working for conservatives to push conservative causes, and in return getting those conservative causes to pad his resume with empty job titles so that he can pursue bigger and more prestigious conservative advocacy jobs.

Because of that, it's hard to know how much of his stance is true believerism vs cynical willingness to push any argument that advances his cause. But by mid-2020, he was writing op-eds arguing that birthright citizenship isn't real and therefore Kamala Harris was ineligible to be VP.

Often, you push an idea long enough (even if you don't internally believe it), teach it to others, etc - most people eventually become true believers even if they started out with an opposing view. Just the nature of being human, the mind craves internal consistency because it's simpler and less mentally demanding than to live 24/7 with an alternate persona.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well you just sent my mind on a horrific journey that ended with a vision of liberals making memes and videos of Hilary as Ivanova, so thanks for that

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

enigma74 posted:

Often, you push an idea long enough (even if you don't internally believe it), teach it to others, etc - most people eventually become true believers even if they started out with an opposing view. Just the nature of being human, the mind craves internal consistency because it's simpler and less mentally demanding than to live 24/7 with an alternate persona.

Having interacted with some of these people, the force in question is not, by any means, internal consistency. The human capacity for cognitive dissonance is practically infinite, and individuals in these roles can hotswap beliefs on a dime-I've watched them do it. The factor that facilitates their shift in perspective (and their ability to maintain internally contradictory beliefs) is that it benefits them to do it, and that the work involved is entertaining and attention-consuming enough that the actual sources of dissonance never come to the fore.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Meanwhile the Texas bar punted on Sydney Powells hearing because of some hyper technical reading of Georgias statutes that they almost certainly got wrong but didn’t ask to clarify from, you know, Georgia. So she gets to keep on being one of the worlds worst lawyers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Main Paineframe posted:

Hearing him on the radio in the early 2010s, he seemed enough of a true believer to me. I could never remember his voice, so it sticks in my mind how every couple months i’d hear someone saying the worst possible poo poo (like that thing with Harris not being eligible) with a straight face and go “what the gently caress?” Only to then hear the host thank Professor Eastman for his time.
“Oh right, that schmuck.”

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Murgos posted:

Meanwhile the Texas bar punted on Sydney Powells hearing because of some hyper technical reading of Georgias statutes that they almost certainly got wrong but didn’t ask to clarify from, you know, Georgia. So she gets to keep on being one of the worlds worst lawyers.

Texas is just really committed to the free market, man. All the information is out there, you want to hire Sidney loving Powell you do you brother.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/67490069/27/united-states-v-trump/

Gag order issued for materials received as part of the discovery process.

Start the clock.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Deuce posted:

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/67490069/27/united-states-v-trump/

Gag order issued for materials received as part of the discovery process.

Start the clock.

I like the note that Trump isn't allowed around the discovery materials without his lawyer present and the lawyer has to make sure he accounts for all the materials after Trump spends any time with them. Including notes and copies.

I was waiting for an explicit reminder to not leave a bunch of copies of discovery materials in a Mar a Lago shower.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Xiahou Dun posted:

I like the note that Trump isn't allowed around the discovery materials without his lawyer present and the lawyer has to make sure he accounts for all the materials after Trump spends any time with them. Including notes and copies.

I was waiting for an explicit reminder to not leave a bunch of copies of discovery materials in a Mar a Lago shower.

My first reaction was "Judge Cannon gave her god-king a gag order???" and then I realized she is trying her best to protect him from himself.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It wasn't even her, it was Reinhart, the magistrate judge.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Check Acyns feed for more quality clips from this fiasco.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1670924265158324225

Trump is down to doing his own hair now I think.
Also a lot of talk today about MSNBC giving Trump a town hall, but it was from an interview question saying they might if it was bought up.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Lol that Trump gets a gag order then immediately goes out to an interview where he insists the boxes and papers were his, he couldn’t give them back because he didn’t have time to separate classified stuff from other papers, and Biden and Pence did the same thing and got caught for it but they weren’t prosecuted like he was

This trial is going to be an absolute clown show.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
at this point I think Reinhart is just trying to be maximally professional even when he knows Trump's response to "please don't tamper with Witness 4" is going to be him immediately tweeting "WITNESS FOUR IS A GREAT GUY, I HAVE VISITED HIM MULTIPLE TIMES AT [HOME ADDRESS], HIS CHILDREN GO TO THE VERY GOOD [SCHOOL NAME], HE'D NEVER COOPERATE WITH THE DEEP STATE HOAX"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Google Jeb Bush posted:

at this point I think Reinhart is just trying to be maximally professional even when he knows Trump's response to "please don't tamper with Witness 4" is going to be him immediately tweeting "WITNESS FOUR IS A GREAT GUY, I HAVE VISITED HIM MULTIPLE TIMES AT [HOME ADDRESS], HIS CHILDREN GO TO THE VERY GOOD [SCHOOL NAME], HE'D NEVER COOPERATE WITH THE DEEP STATE HOAX"

Yeah, very much this - everyone is, yet again, going to bend over backwards to accommodate him and his churlishness, only for him to inevitably and almost immediately stomp and moan and disparage and (hopefully) get himself held in contempt

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1671135127408091139

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

All federal judges do this I believe, or at least the few I've ever dealt with do.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For the law-dumb among us, what does August 14 mean? From context I'm gathering it's expected to take longer than that to actually get this show on the road. OK, federal cases are always slow but what are the details? Why is that considered fast, and why is Cannon doing it that way? Personally I want someone to call Trump on his bullshit tactic of bluster, bloviate, deny, and delay. It's his go-to defense in everything, "YEAH I DID THE CRIMING BUT gently caress YOU, JUSTICE DELAYED IS gently caress YOU EVEN MORE". So why is Cannon trying to pressure her wet, orange god?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is a Speedy Trial Act that says:

Trial must commence within 70 days from the date the information or indictment was filed, or from the date the defendant appears before an officer of the court in which the charge is pending, whichever is later.

70 days from June 8 is August 17.

Practically it will get delayed.

“Certain pretrial delays are automatically excluded from the Act's time limits, such as delays caused by pretrial motions.”

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

bird food bathtub posted:

For the law-dumb among us, what does August 14 mean? From context I'm gathering it's expected to take longer than that to actually get this show on the road. OK, federal cases are always slow but what are the details? Why is that considered fast, and why is Cannon doing it that way? Personally I want someone to call Trump on his bullshit tactic of bluster, bloviate, deny, and delay. It's his go-to defense in everything, "YEAH I DID THE CRIMING BUT gently caress YOU, JUSTICE DELAYED IS gently caress YOU EVEN MORE". So why is Cannon trying to pressure her wet, orange god?

This is pretty normal for trial stuff, as motions and other stuff go off on both sides it will get bumped around, literally nothing and just standard court procedures.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the July 24th cutoff date for pre-trial motions means that all delay tactics need to be filed by that day, and after that nothing else can be filed?

gregday
May 23, 2003

There’s a good chance the GA indictment will come by 8/14.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the July 24th cutoff date for pre-trial motions means that all delay tactics need to be filed by that day, and after that nothing else can be filed?

Theoretically, but in practice there's going to be a bunch of stuff filed before then that will delay everything. It's probably best to view these initial dates as kabuki theater. Everyone involved knows they'll get moved around, but part of the ritual is setting them, so that they can later be moved around, so that down the road when it actually gets time to really schedule things, the judge can say "trial was initially scheduled for X date. Then we gave you an extension for this reason, and that reason, and this other reason, and now you've used up your extensions" or words to that effect in more formal language.

These dates are the equivalent of telling the host at a party "oh we need to leave in a bit" just so that later on when you say it again they know that this time you really mean it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sides can agree to motion for extensions (or can file contested motions for them). The defendant is the one with a right to a speedy trial, so the judge will generally grant motions for delay or reschedule things unless it's clear they are just stalling for time.

The government should *generally* be pretty much ready to present their case when they charge the defendant, so they don't usually have too much cause to try to delay the trial. There could be instances where new information is discovered during discovery by defendant or unexpected witnesses are proposed by them which the government needs to do prep to counter though.

At a state level, things can get delayed a ton because prosecutors are overworked. They might ask the defendant to agree to delay a trial until a later date when their schedule is more clear, and they often do. Though they are not obliged to and can force the prosecution to suck it up and deal with a busy schedule. I doubt that the government here is going to suffer from insufficient manpower though, so I don't anticipate that happening..

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 20, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Theoretically, but in practice there's going to be a bunch of stuff filed before then that will delay everything. It's probably best to view these initial dates as kabuki theater. Everyone involved knows they'll get moved around, but part of the ritual is setting them, so that they can later be moved around, so that down the road when it actually gets time to really schedule things, the judge can say "trial was initially scheduled for X date. Then we gave you an extension for this reason, and that reason, and this other reason, and now you've used up your extensions" or words to that effect in more formal language.

These dates are the equivalent of telling the host at a party "oh we need to leave in a bit" just so that later on when you say it again they know that this time you really mean it.

Also, "give us a reason to delay" is harder than "let us know when you're ready." The judge is in control of the schedule that way, not the attorneys.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Did the US DOJ just spend five years investigating the family of Trump's political opponent and in doing so managed to find (checks notes) a bit over $100,000 in unpaid taxes? Not even "didn't file taxes", but just "didn't pay enough"? I mean, that's not even a positive ROI in terms of revenue, and probably isn't even in terms of deterrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ynglaur posted:

Did the US DOJ just spend five years investigating the family of Trump's political opponent and in doing so managed to find (checks notes) a bit over $100,000 in unpaid taxes? Not even "didn't file taxes", but just "didn't pay enough"? I mean, that's not even a positive ROI in terms of revenue, and probably isn't even in terms of deterrance.

I dunno, did they? Got any links or stories to discuss or are we just shouting into the void