Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HiroProtagonist posted:

Flame of Liberation is a bunch of really sad MTWs, safely ignore those tweets as much of them are just bait
i thought it was one of caleb maupin's former followers who realized he made a huge mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Going back to South Korea, it is pretty interesting how non-committal South Korea has been regarding Ukraine, and despite Yoon being "ultra pro-American," South Korea hasn't participated in sanctions (and technically, South Korean airlines can fly through Russian airspace), and South Korea recently rejected the F-35. The aid provided to Ukraine has been some artillery shells that have been passed over to the US to replace stockpiles, and even then it was a pretty restrained amount. The US has always allowed the South Koreans to invest in Chinese semiconductors.

This all makes sense in 1. Seoul knows both Beijing and Moscow can always use the DPRK as a pressure point, and the KPA is already rapidly re-arming, and 2. money talks. 30% of all South Korean exports go to China (Mainland/HK) and that percentage has always been growing higher (more than the US and EU combined), while South Korean companies are deeply invested in the PRC and would take a bath to the tune of tens of billions if sanctions ever came into being. Basically, rhetoric aside, South Korea has far more to lose than to gain from getting into a pissing contest with their neighbors, and there is only so hard the US can crack the whip.

Japan may eventually go that way as well, considering how invested Japan is in Mainland China as well. Japanese enterprises would simply be ruined if they were cut off from the PRC's market, and Japan economically speaking, is not in a strong enough condition to have that kind of leeway.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Going back to South Korea, it is pretty interesting how non-committal South Korea has been regarding Ukraine, and despite Yoon being "ultra pro-American," South Korea hasn't participated in sanctions (and technically, South Korean airlines can fly through Russian airspace), and South Korea recently rejected the F-35. The aid provided to Ukraine has been some artillery shells that have been passed over to the US to replace stockpiles, and even then it was a pretty restrained amount. The US has always allowed the South Koreans to invest in Chinese semiconductors.

This all makes sense in 1. Seoul knows both Beijing and Moscow can always use the DPRK as a pressure point, and the KPA is already rapidly re-arming, and 2. money talks. 30% of all South Korean exports go to China (Mainland/HK) and that percentage has always been growing higher (more than the US and EU combined), while South Korean companies are deeply invested in the PRC and would take a bath to the tune of tens of billions if sanctions ever came into being. Basically, rhetoric aside, South Korea has far more to lose than to gain from getting into a pissing contest with their neighbors, and there is only so hard the US can crack the whip.

Yeah SK has been slowly moving toward "east camp" in geopolitic in slow pace. This show in the left camp is winning presidential election easier and easier and the right camp is winning it harder and harder. Yoon won by the smallest margin and his popularity dropped right after the election.

He does all this performative singing the I love America (pie) things but the rest of SK industry barely move. Btw he is still in the middle of fake fuel with China which is stupid because the rest of Asia can see the Sino-US relationship is turning a page to the eased tension phase and he can't see it.

What do you meam Korea rejected F35? I checked news they approved a plan to purchase 20 F35.

quote:

Japan may eventually go that way as well, considering how invested Japan is in Mainland China as well. Japanese enterprises would simply be ruined if they were cut off from the PRC's market, and Japan economically speaking, is not in a strong enough condition to have that kind of leeway.

Nah, Japan will go down with the ship as US's most royal lieutenant. This has to do with LDP has captured the Japanese politic even though it has less and less representative in the society. The LDP has a deep link to the ww2 past. In SK only one half of the politic link to the ww2 past, and they just did the rebranding.

Also SK industries have a friendnemy relationship with Chinese industries while Japanese industries are mostly competition with China. Partly due to SK is a proper state capitalist economy Japan is not; partly due to China chose to cooperate with SK.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

What do you meam Korea rejected F35? I checked news they approved a plan to purchase 20 F35.

Possibly related to things like this

High-tech F-35A may be dumped after eagle collision

quote:

After a mid-air collision with an eagle and sustaining significant damage more than a year ago, the country's most advanced fighter jet may end up being dumped due to astronomical repair costs.

The repair bill for the broken F-35A is estimated to be over 100 billion won ($76 million) ― close to its original price tag of $100 million. The estimation came after talks between the Republic of Korea Air Force and Lockheed Martin, the U.S. defense giant which developed the stealth fighter.

Because the January 2022 accident was "bad luck" and did not involve any mechanical fault on behalf of the firm, the Korean military is expected to bear the repair costs.

According to the Air Force, the magnificent winged creature went through the jet's bulkhead and was sucked into the machine's left vacuum pump, destroying hydraulic pipes and electricals for the jet's landing gear.

Lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GenevaSummit/status/1666464399429890048?t=o7gwQhdUqr_p9f_9jF47Qg&s=19

Slava Hong Kongi

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lmao at the eagle irony too

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slava Hong Kongi

imagine being that HK lib girl who totally owned China by quitting her comfortable well paying bullshit job for a BNO only to kill herself shortly in the UK because there's only low end menial work available

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gildiss posted:

Possibly related to things like this

High-tech F-35A may be dumped after eagle collision

Lmao

Planted seed for the Korean domestic "5th gen" flighter. I guess if their own fighter works out they will cut down the F35 purchase. That will take a while.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nah, Japan will go down with the ship as US's most royal lieutenant. This has to do with LDP has captured the Japanese politic even though it has less and less representative in the society. The LDP has a deep link to the ww2 past. In SK only one half of the politic link to the ww2 past, and they just did the rebranding.

Also SK industries have a friendnemy relationship with Chinese industries while Japanese industries are mostly competition with China. Partly due to SK is a proper state capitalist economy Japan is not; partly due to China chose to cooperate with SK.

Japan actually has a ton of investment and joint enterprises in the mainland, and while the LDP certainly is still in "Kishi" mode but I really don't thinkthe Japanese economy could actually sustain severing ties with the PRC (their export exposure is still 25%, higher than the US at 17%).

Japan is also simply facing its own huge debt issues as well as demographic issues, and while the LDP likes to talk hot, their economy would immediately go into a depression if trade was cut.

If anything the best thing for the region as a whole would just be for Taiwan to elect a moderately mainland-friendly party and just let things be, otherwise they have far more to lose than Europe did over Ukraine (as bad as it was).

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I will have to see a break down of the Japanese ventures in China. I understand most of them are Honda/Toyota/Nissan which are in direct competition to the Chinese EV vehicle industry.

You can't predict what a small country will choose to do in elections. Sometimes they just choose to take the route that don't cater to their own best interest.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Jun 18, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

I will have to see a break down of the Japanese ventures in China. I understand most of them are Honda/Toyota/Nissan which are in direct competition to the Chinese EV vehicle industry.

mitsubishi is dead in china

nissan is effectively dead

honda is halfway there

toyota is the last one standing and they are still aren't healthy by any stretch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wouldn't be surprised if Japan switches with rather suddenness politically the moment propped up US influence finally collapses from sheer neglect and material forces.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Glory to Hong Kong sounds like the most CIA inspired by Ukraine gambit yet

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It'd be stupid to expect vassal states acting like total bitches to their overlord to have loyalty when said overlord is eclipsed rather than opportunistically switching sides.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I will say that it's remarkable how quickly things change in china's car market compared to most other mature markets, considering its size. Ford and Hyundai Kia have both in the span of 10 years gone from selling millions of vehicles per year and being major pillars of the market to less than a tenth of that, and becoming minor bit players. Both are doing generally fine in markets outside of China.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/06/18/a-simple-way-to-regulate-tiktok-00101323

god this article is so loving stupid

the premise is insane, that foreign ownership of tiktok is the most dangerous thing about it instead of realizing the content is turning young brains to mush. simple my rear end, the simple way to regulate tiktok is to do what china did and just allow educational stuff for children. the whole premise is just idiotic and racist, as if tiktok as-is would be totally cool if owned by US citizens

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Throatwarbler posted:

I will say that it's remarkable how quickly things change in china's car market compared to most other mature markets, considering its size. Ford and Hyundai Kia have both in the span of 10 years gone from selling millions of vehicles per year and being major pillars of the market to less than a tenth of that, and becoming minor bit players. Both are doing generally fine in markets outside of China.

Chinese markets have much more competition. The car market especially is one where manufacturers in the west get serious government support to keep going, thus lessening market pressure to deliver a good vehicle.

While the Chinese state wants there to be Chinese car manufacturers, it both doesn't give a gently caress which ones are the succesful ones and doesn't want any of them to gain a dominant position in the market which it could use to effectuate anti-competitive or even political power.

So Chinese engineers need to deliver excellent value for money vehicles filled with features consumers want. Western, Japanese and South Korean manufacturers not so much.

Incidentally, this kind of market, free from monopoly power, is exactly the kind of market Smith and Ricardo etc were talking about when they wrote about a "free market", and they envisioned the state's role as primarily creating such a market and keeping it free from monopoly power. Turns out a market like that actually is pretty good at creating innovation and value for consumers. But it requires a state beholden to the working class (whom are also the consumers, incidentally) and not the capitalist class, for else state power will be wielded to reinforce rather than break up monopoly power.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Jun 18, 2023

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

i say swears online posted:

tiktok as-is would be totally cool if owned by US citizens
this is the position of us government correct. when the sale is finally forced are all those states that put out tik tok bans going to have to repeal them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Chinese markets have much more competition. The car market especially is one where manufacturers in the west get serious government support to keep going, thus lessening market pressure to deliver a good vehicle.

While the Chinese state wants there to be Chinese car manufacturers, it both doesn't give a gently caress which ones are the succesful ones and doesn't want any of them to gain a dominant position in the market which it could use to effectuate anti-competitive or even political power.

So Chinese engineers need to deliver excellent value for money vehicles filled with features consumers want. Western, Japanese and South Korean manufacturers not so much.

Incidentally, this kind of market, free from monopoly power, is exactly the kind of market Smith and Ricardo etc were talking about when they wrote about a "free market", and they envisioned the state's role as primarily creating such a market and keeping it free from monopoly power. Turns out a market like that actually is pretty good at creating innovation and value for consumers. But it requires a state beholden to the working class (whom are also the consumers, incidentally) and not the capitalist class, for else state power will be wielded to reinforce rather than break up monopoly power.

yeah the inversion of the meaning of free market is sad

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I was going to make a reply but the 5 Temu ads in the article just intercepted my train of thought heh.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

also most markets don't have developed local car markets. Think indian manufacturers do well in indian markets as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was going to make a reply but the 5 Temu ads in the article just intercepted my train of thought heh.

I have been bombarded with Temu ads practically nonstop since about 2 months ago I think. Are they just a particularly successfully drop shipping company or what.

Edit: seems like the exact opposite but hell if I'm going try to read more. Most coverage is scare mongering about the evil communist online app.

In Training has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Jun 18, 2023

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It's an evil communist scam

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SorePotato posted:

It's an evil communist scam

everything americans upload to tiktok is either a waste of time or a malicious scam. this is perpetrated by the evil seeseepee,

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i bought some things from temu and they showed up at my door a few days later

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

How could they do this to us.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

but at what cost

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

I have been bombarded with Temu ads practically nonstop since about 2 months ago I think. Are they just a particularly successfully drop shipping company or what.

Edit: seems like the exact opposite but hell if I'm going try to read more. Most coverage is scare mongering about the evil communist online app.

They're an Alibaba/Wish clone, Shein is another one that has become bigger especially if you are on social media and it's for trendy clothing.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Jazerus posted:

but at what cost

$30.70

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

In Training posted:

Most coverage is scare mongering about the evil communist online app.

i googled it too and lol

'Is Temu a scam? Unveiling the dark side of this Chinese shopping app'

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I mean the prices I saw in the ads made me immediately assume it was a scam before I knew it was chinese. I think it's just you wait three months to get the stuff you pay tiny amounts for like alibaba?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My only experience with temu is that 90% of their ads are that you can get a nintendo switch for like $7

I assume scalper bots have those giveaways secured 100% lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Time for China to die

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

but at what cost

Hahahahahaha

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Here is the deal of Temu. The popup bombardments that tell you you can get free poo poo after 3 referrals are all scam. They are all gotcha game poo poo and probably made by actual gotcha programmers.

But if you skip the referral and get straight to the normal discount code. You get anywhere from 10% to 30% depending on random timing. And Temu (Pinduoduo) is paying out of their own pocket to give you the discount to get their sales stat.

Here is the difference between Temu and Aliexpress. They have a different shipping model. Aliexpress gets you cheap poo poo in 3 weeks by sea. Temu gets your package to the regional center near your city in 1 week (probably by air) and uses regular usps/ups to ship the last leg. So you get it in about 10 days.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

how about guymu and its just for the fellas

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i thought it was one of caleb maupin's former followers who realized he made a huge mistake

could be, but doesn't really change the point

they're also (or at least previously were) hostile transphobes

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1670410722218749953

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Miles Blundell posted:

I mean the prices I saw in the ads made me immediately assume it was a scam before I knew it was chinese. I think it's just you wait three months to get the stuff you pay tiny amounts for like alibaba?

it’s a place to get super cheap Chinese poo poo except the scam and janky poo poo is the exception rather than the norm and also it ships really fast. the catch is that the prices oscillate wildly and finding a specific item instead of a bunch of the sameish items is basically impossible. I suspect a lot of their deal is inventory management

it’s honestly less fun than the aliexpress/dealextreme lottery but it 100% obsoletes inferior sites like wish and hollar (actually I think hollar already died anyway but w/e)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nise_yoshimi/status/1670626250187239424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So how'd the visit with Blinken go?