Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I am openly extremely supportive of big fat wrestlers, Bam Bam Bigelow, Vader, etc all loving ruled, and I have called for Evil Uno to ditch the vest and go back to topless with tights the second that change was made. On ancient wrestle forums as a youngin I even used Bam Bam's triple B logo because he was my favorite. This is both because I think big fat guys are hot because I am, first and foremost, a bear, and my taste in performers reflects that, but also because big fat guys being super athletic and using their mass strategically is really cool. Sumo has gotten really popular lately and that's literally just an entire multi-century sport of enormous men beating the absolute poo poo out of each other.

Unironically if CM Punk got really fat and started finally changing up his moveset and presentation I would immediately come around to him as a performer, rather than just viewing him as a guy who will probably do something extremely self destructive and simultaneously very very funny given the first opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think you're really misunderstanding the tone of the joke. At least for me I find it funny because the idea of Tony Khan telling Punk he can only come back if he gains weights like he's Mac's actor from It's always Sunny is funny because it's very absurd, not because being fat is funny.

it's this.

Sandman McMahon posted:

I thought the consensus was that far wrestlers rule and kick rear end. CM Punk with an extra couple hundred pounds would rule and kick rear end.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

big fat guys in wrestling are extremely cool

also these

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

(respectfully)

i consider Mr. Punk Healthy At Every Size and would love to see him continue to push boundaries in this great sport

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My interpretation of the joke was that 1) big fat wrestlers who clobber people (like Vader and Samoa Joe) are cool and Punk could improve as a performer by modeling himself after them, and 2) Tony Khan and very important business people demanding Punk get fat and him taking it extremely seriously like that one episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets fat so he can work from home, except Punk is getting fat so he can return to work, is an inherently silly situation, not because the idea of a wrestler being fat is inherently silly, but because the idea of Khan or WBD caring more about what Punk weighs that stuff like if he can still sell tickets and if he can behave himself, is silly.

I can definitely see how it reads as sarcastically fatphobic, but I genuinely do not think anybody intended it that way, I think this forum's appreciation for big fat wrestlers is a very unironic one.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Like, I don't wanna dismiss the complaint here because I have myself wondered if the joke is appropriate or not, but I really don't think the forum that went nuts for Evil Uno coming out with his belly on full display to fight Jon Moxley has any fatphobia in its heart.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bros stop

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My sources tell me CM Punk was last seen making purchases at the moo moo store

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Danhausen and Punk both come out dressed in Homer's moo moo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MJeff posted:

Like, I don't wanna dismiss the complaint here because I have myself wondered if the joke is appropriate or not, but I really don't think the forum that went nuts for Evil Uno coming out with his belly on full display to fight Jon Moxley has any fatphobia in its heart.

dark order is maybe a bad pick for people this forum doesn't get weirdly lovely about

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ok time to wrap it up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flatluigi posted:

dark order is maybe a bad pick for people this forum doesn't get weirdly lovely about

It's not problematic to not like a wrestling act.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
to be clear like, i don't think anyone is like intentionally trying to be lovely, i just have felt it's kind of much and some of the jokes have edged on gross. i also like big fat wrestlers- they make me feel pretty seen as someone who's fat, i love seeing fat people do cool as hell poo poo and wrestling is, genuinely, one of the only places you can see that (and sumo, as mentioned). keith lee is like one of my favorite guys in aew, so is samoa joe, i'm a bit sad that both of them are heading towards the tail of their careers with injuries/long covid ect, because they both loving kick rear end. just like, i dunno, 'it'd be funny if he was fat' feels a bit demeaning? I get that most folks just mean it as an absurd demand on him, but when so much of the joke is about how to gain weight or the ludicrous diet or the homer moo-moo thing it doesn't feel positive. This isn't something that's gonna make me stop posting or whatever, just something that's been kind of a bummer.

fwiw, i don't think i've ever seen the steiner thing, maybe because i mostly read the AEW threads and the social media thread? But if i did i probably wouldn't have felt great about that either.

I appreciate everyone talking about where they're coming from and explaining their end of things, genuinely.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I personally think it would be cool as hell if CM Punk was the size of Keith Lee.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MJeff posted:

It's not problematic to not like a wrestling act.

Disagree, I think open and flagrant PDS should be a cancellable offense.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

The fat jokes suck and its a bummer to read them :shrug:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lethrom posted:

The fat jokes suck and its a bummer to read them :shrug:

The Puroresu thread contains no fat jokes.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

forkboy84 posted:

The Puroresu thread contains no fat jokes.

You post about Suwama all the time!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

on the one hand, the joke has run its course. on the other hand, the people complaining about it havent

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cm punk should

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Power Windows posted:

You post about Suwama all the time!

:drat:

Harsh but fair assessment of Voodoo Murders Suwama. He's a face now though.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

That DICK! posted:

on the one hand, the joke has run its course. on the other hand, the people complaining about it havent

lmao

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I am openly extremely supportive of big fat wrestlers, Bam Bam Bigelow, Vader, etc all loving ruled, and I have called for Evil Uno to ditch the vest and go back to topless with tights the second that change was made. On ancient wrestle forums as a youngin I even used Bam Bam's triple B logo because he was my favorite. This is both because I think big fat guys are hot because I am, first and foremost, a bear, and my taste in performers reflects that, but also because big fat guys being super athletic and using their mass strategically is really cool. Sumo has gotten really popular lately and that's literally just an entire multi-century sport of enormous men beating the absolute poo poo out of each other.

Unironically if CM Punk got really fat and started finally changing up his moveset and presentation I would immediately come around to him as a performer, rather than just viewing him as a guy who will probably do something extremely self destructive and simultaneously very very funny given the first opportunity.

That's why I love this bootleg shirt I got

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dacap posted:

rad shirt, post the link!!!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

https://cobravision.bigcartel.com/

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Someone posted the link to the seller, this was a limited drop like most boots so unfortunately not available anymore.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Check out the merch thread for all of your good merch needs. A couple of links have been updated because IG has wrought havoc on a few sellers' accounts and they've had to start new ones, so if you notice any other links in the OP that aren't working anymore let mek now!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dacap posted:

gently caress that rules!!!!

Dacap posted:

Someone posted the link to the seller, this was a limited drop like most boots so unfortunately not available anymore.

nooooooooo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I personally think it would be cool as hell if CM Punk was the size of Keith Lee.
it would probably be a lot less stressful for everyone involved if they just convinced Keith to get tatted up and adopt the gimmick like he's Glen Jacobs as the new Diesel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've tried to keep quiet about this, but hey, over the past 10 months, there's been a lot of super cutesy posts about "wouldn't it be funny if CM Punk immediately injured himself again, I'm technically not wishing injury on him, I'm just CONSTANTLY talking about how funny it would be and how much I would personally enjoy it if he suffered a long-term injury immediately upon returning to the ring".

Can we like, knock it the gently caress off, maybe? If we did this about any other wrestler, it would correctly be called out as the hosed up thing it is. If somebody said "oh man, wonder if Hangman Page is gonna concuss himself again on his first bump!" or "oh man, I sure would love it if Kris Statlander is gonna blow out her knee again five seconds into her first title defense!", it would be regarded as a very hosed up thing to say. And yes, I know, you think this is a disingenuous analogy and these examples are appreciably different because you like those wrestlers, but you don't like CM Punk. Congratulations on liking one wrestler and not liking another one.

The dude came back. He wrestled a match. He didn't dive off anything. He didn't get injured. You had your fun. Can we just stop?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Telling anyone to stop doing something on this website is just going to make them do it even more because if there's one thing posters hate more than CM Punk its other posters

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think it's more highlighting the hubris of the situation than it is genuinely wishing Punk serious injury.

At least I hope it is. If you actually hope someone gets seriously injured (not a boo-boo) then you're a weirdo and need help.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MJeff posted:

I've tried to keep quiet about this, but hey, over the past 10 months, there's been a lot of super cutesy posts about "wouldn't it be funny if CM Punk immediately injured himself again, I'm technically not wishing injury on him, I'm just CONSTANTLY talking about how funny it would be and how much I would personally enjoy it if he suffered a long-term injury immediately upon returning to the ring".

Can we like, knock it the gently caress off, maybe? If we did this about any other wrestler, it would correctly be called out as the hosed up thing it is. If somebody said "oh man, wonder if Hangman Page is gonna concuss himself again on his first bump!" or "oh man, I sure would love it if Kris Statlander is gonna blow out her knee again five seconds into her first title defense!", it would be regarded as a very hosed up thing to say. And yes, I know, you think this is a disingenuous analogy and these examples are appreciably different because you like those wrestlers, but you don't like CM Punk. Congratulations on liking one wrestler and not liking another one.

The dude came back. He wrestled a match. He didn't dive off anything. He didn't get injured. You had your fun. Can we just stop?

Co-signed

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

The only person softer than you is the wrestler you like.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I see we are at the point in the cycle where it stopped being jokes and people got real even though you were just pretending. Yeah sure whatever

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 18, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Just let them be lunatics, it only makes them look like total losers.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Tampa Bae posted:

Telling anyone to stop doing something on this website is just going to make them do it even more because if there's one thing posters hate more than CM Punk its other posters

This is probably the most 100% correct post that's ever been made on these here forums

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This is probably the most 100% correct post that's ever been made on these here forums

The only thing wrong about it is limiting it to the forums. The #1 way to get the internet in general to keep doing something is to tell them how mad you are about it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The only thing wrong about it is limiting it to the forums. The #1 way to get the internet in general to keep doing something is to tell them how mad you are about it.

True, as well as telling them how not mad you are about it, also. Basically if you even hint that something bothered you on the interwebs, people are gonna hammer at that button until it breaks.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Well yeah the most anyone can hope to get a reaction out of CM Punk is by starting a Colt Cabana chant at a show but if you antagonize people on the forums you get immediate reactions and that dopamine rush so on this forum we're all just being as petty as The Elite and CM Punk are towards each other because it's fun

Except the Elite and Punk have a reason to work together to make a lot of money so they can put their differences aside. We all paid to be on this website so we're the losers paying to be mad at each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

This is what I meant by “hell is other posters”