Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Unsinkabear posted:

The CSP is a better deal, but I'm honestly not sure that one is worth getting right now either. Almost all premium category cards are in real bad shape right now. In general, they're only worth it for SUBs and never actual use, unless you have some crazy unique circumstance (which you technically do, but it's one that's still best exploited by lazy churning or a no-AF card that pays a simple 2%/2.5% on everything). I can only think of one exception, and it doesn't fit your use case because it's an Amex.

If you your landlord accepts Plastiq and you have the ability to put bay-area rent money on a credit card, you should really be looking at picking up sign-up bonuses and not piddly category rewards. You are in a way, way, way better position to play that game than most. Like, you're leaving thousands of dollars on the table annually by not doing it. I know for a lot of people "churning" is a spooky word that conjures up visions of complicated maneuvering and research and accidentally ruining your credit (you won't, it will actually increase your credit score because we live in hell), but you can ignore all that garbage if you just focus on cash back and not travel points. Just look up what card's bonus nets you the most money when cashed out, put all your spending on that one until you qualify for the bonus, then set a reminder to cancel it in a year (if it has an annual fee, otherwise you keep it and benefit from it forever) and move on to the next card. Profit.

If you're dead set on sticking to one rewards card (and making like, less than a tenth of what you could per year as a result imjustsaying) then you want something with a low/no annual fee, and the best across-the-board rewards rate you can get, because that's going to apply to your rent which will always be your biggest category.

I already spent more time on typing this than I should have (supposed to be at dinner, thanks ADHD!), but I think we dug into this stuff a page or two back for someone with a similar question if you would like to read through more ranting

Shroomie posted:

Pretty sure Plastiq just declared bankruptcy so idk how much longer that's gonna be viable for anything.

Get a Bilt card to pay your rent.

Beyond that you're gonna have to figure out what kind of travel rewards/perks you actually want before you can pick a card. Like, are you a domestic economy flyer or an international business class flyer? Do you care about lounge access? Do you want points that can easily be converted to cash? Do you want rental car insurance? Do you want one card to rule them all? Or are you comfortable with a 2-3 card setup?

basically my reason for not churning is ADHD-ish executive dysfunction and the prospect of needing to manage different accounts being an anxiety driver lol. i recognize im not optimizing my ability to take advantage of my credit score and ability to hit SUB spend requirements without issue. it's an admittedly stupid thing where limiting the number of things i need to pay attention to outweighs the card perks; the latter is just gravy that i may as well skim off if available for little effort. [ask] me about keeping the delta premium card around way past its useful lifespan because it was simply a known quantity. putting as much as possible on the amex and keeping my no-frills bank visa for stuff that doesn't take amex was simple enough, and i figured it was fine enough to game the system since i don't carry a balance on either

it was nice burning down a pile of miles for a combination of emergencies and one free business class trans-pacific vacation flight (mid lingering pandemic-era card spend bumping me into platinum medallion briefly) but overall less than useful between a combination of other airlines usually being a better option (Delta out of SF is crap at the best of times) or a necessity (IDK how the gently caress SkyTeam is supposed to work but it seems like it's either Delta codeshare or worthless--my youthful thinking that it having Aeroflot would be useful for my niche wanting to fly throughout the former USSR was very wrong then, and extremely wrong now), so time to burn it down for one last Christmas flight redeem before killing it.

shame Plastiq is on its last legs before probably finally dying. that'd make churning much more viable if i were to power through the planning stress to munch Visa SUBs. my landlord doesn't accept it or anything else directly--the reason i was using it was because i rent from dinosaurs that will only accept checks until the sun explodes

air travel-wise having cards that build status was nice if not necessarily financially expedient but difficult to juggle because my travel needs are a combination of smaller airports (lol nobody flies out of OAK and i hate it because it's so much easier to get to) and destinations that lack US carrier service (you can technically fly to central asia or the caucasus on US carriers but you're paying a $1k premium over Turkish Airlines so gently caress it)

eh, will try with CSP and churn the SUB if Plastiq dies in a fire. either i get over my hangups and go full churning or don't and switch to Gilt as a kinda unknown but probably better given the lack of fees for cutting rent checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
If you don't want to churn a 2% card for "everything" isn't a bad compromise.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

saintonan posted:

Sort of. Grubhub and Uber Eats both increase prices in their app significantly (over what you'd pay if you call the restaurant directly), so you won't get $10/mo value from either of the benefits.

Fair, folks should definitely watch out for that. But often (depends on the restaurant but I've always been able to find at least a few to choose between) this markup is built into the delivery price specifically, and if you order pickup instead, you get the same price as if you'd called the restaurant. So as long as you're fine driving over there, you get to save a buck without paying the markup. Or if you're someone who likes/needs delivery and already uses it in spite of the markups, then obviously yes, you are getting the full $20/month off of the money you'd otherwise have been spending anyway.

It falls under "this only counts if you would already be spending money in that area without it," but you can't count that as a strike against it, because so should literally every other perk on any card. If you feel like that caveat only applies to the gold then there's a decent chance you might be overvaluing perks elsewhere.

R. Guyovich posted:

the magic number for the reserve vs the preferred is $7,750. if you spend that amount or more on travel every year then the extra points earning makes the reserve a better value proposition assuming a value of two cents per point. i can generally improve on that with hyatt transfers but two per is a decent enough baseline to work from.

i stick with the reserve for a few reasons, but one is because many of the restaurants i frequent are in hotels and if i didn't use the reserve it'd get classified as travel and i'd miss out on the three points unless i bothered customer service about it

Thank you for reminding me that I need to call Amex and bug them to reclassify the bar I drink at as a restaurant (they have a license and serve food, so I'm not being a complete rear end) and get me those sweet sweet x4 points. I think the last time I checked it was coding as something like a cafe, which makes even less sense.

Also cool to know the magic number for the Reserve! When you get 2+ cents per point from Hyatt, is that by taking a fancy stay somewhere, or just average hotel rooms?

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

churning worries

If it helps reassure you any, I have crippling ADHD and still manage just fine. It is something that interests me so my brain works for me and not against me for once, so I guess the usual ADHD coin toss applies in that regard. But assuming you also find it interesting, I think you'll be just fine. It's actually pretty hard to gently caress up, as long as you only get cards you can naturally hit the spending requirements on, and don't fall into the trap of spending more to hit a SUB. And it's especially hard to gently caress up if you're posting your questions in the churning thread. My worst sin so far is letting Chase get me on a second round of annual fees for the two Southwest cards because I didn't cancel them in time, and even then I still made a tidy profit between the companion pass and the pile of points. Now I just have a tab in my very amateurish budget spreadsheet that tracks the key details on the cards I have, like their less-used perks, when their due dates are coming up, and what small recurring bill I have on each of the fee-free ones I'm keeping indefinitely.

I don't want to peer pressure you into it because you do need to be objective, so if you feel like it's something that would always be uncomfortable then it's not a good idea. But if it's one of those things where the anxiety would fade once you ripped off the bandaid, I do think you could do it. :glomp:

CubicalSucrose posted:

If you don't want to churn a 2% card for "everything" isn't a bad compromise.

Fake edit: Also this. :hai:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Unsinkabear posted:

It falls under "this only counts if you would already be spending money in that area without it," but you can't count that as a strike against it, because so should literally every other perk on any card. If you feel like that caveat only applies to the gold then there's a decent chance you might be overvaluing perks elsewhere.

Yeah, that's not true. I have a 5% gas card, but I don't buy any more or less gas because I have the card. I have a grocery card, but I don't buy any more or less at the store because of that card. I have a 2.5% cb card, but I don't buy more things because I have the card.

If, as you say, you would normally get pickup or delivery (yes, the inflated prices apply to pickup as well), then using the Amex Gold for that may feel like full use savings, but it's really not. This is BFC, so I encourage everyone to look at the menus of their favorite place compared to how it looks in any of GrubHub/UE/Doordash/Postmates and note the difference.

Full stop, using delivery apps will cost you more than calling the restaurant directly. You will come out slightly ahead by using the $10 monthly credit, but it won't be $10 ahead.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

saintonan posted:

Yeah, that's not true. I have a 5% gas card, but I don't buy any more or less gas because I have the card. I have a grocery card, but I don't buy any more or less at the store because of that card. I have a 2.5% cb card, but I don't buy more things because I have the card.

If, as you say, you would normally get pickup or delivery (yes, the inflated prices apply to pickup as well), then using the Amex Gold for that may feel like full use savings, but it's really not. This is BFC, so I encourage everyone to look at the menus of their favorite place compared to how it looks in any of GrubHub/UE/Doordash/Postmates and note the difference.

Full stop, using delivery apps will cost you more than calling the restaurant directly. You will come out slightly ahead by using the $10 monthly credit, but it won't be $10 ahead.

When I said overvaluing other perks, I meant poo poo like rental insurance or longue access. No one is comparing the utility of fringe perks to what percentage you get on your unavoidable category spending. And you can get up on your BFC soapbox about using delivery if you want, but subtracting $20/month from existing expenses is quite literally saving $20/month, whether you approve of those expenses or not.

Re: delivery apps, I'm talking about instances where I have personally checked the restaurant's independently listed price, and it matches the app's pickup price. In rare cases I've even seen it match the delivery price, and the app is only making money off their ludicrous checkout fees that they try to hide in the taxes section. I don't use every app, but so far the pricing seems to generally be at the restaurants' discretion.

Why the gently caress would I make that up? Maybe it's different regionally (edit: or by app, since I haven't tried them all), but it's definitely not "always more expensive full stop"

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 3, 2023

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Unsinkabear posted:

Thank you for reminding me that I need to call Amex and bug them to reclassify the bar I drink at as a restaurant (they have a license and serve food, so I'm not being a complete rear end) and get me those sweet sweet x4 points. I think the last time I checked it was coding as something like a cafe, which makes even less sense.

Also cool to know the magic number for the Reserve! When you get 2+ cents per point from Hyatt, is that by taking a fancy stay somewhere, or just average hotel rooms?

both, though the hit rate tends to go up at the fancier places. if i'm planning a trip i check the ratios for all the hyatt options and if i can get above two cents, i'll book with points. if not i'll use cash

obviously there are other benefits to the reserve (if your home airport is boston you now have a special branded lounge, for instance) but on a strict points earning basis it still works well for me. especially since amex cards are little more than a wallet-portable paperweight in my part of the world

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone know if the Chase Sapphire Preferred $95 AF goes toward the spend requirement for the signup bonus?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone know if the Chase Sapphire Preferred $95 AF goes toward the spend requirement for the signup bonus?

No. Fees, interest charges, or transfers don't count. It has to be actual purchases.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Any recommendations for a business card? Preferably no annual fee unless there are significant upsides. My wife is starting her own business and wants to get a separate CC for expenses. Expected expenses are nothing crazy atm ~5-8k.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rakeris posted:

Any recommendations for a business card? Preferably no annual fee unless there are significant upsides. My wife is starting her own business and wants to get a separate CC for expenses. Expected expenses are nothing crazy atm ~5-8k.

I'm on lovely airport WiFi so I can't pull up DoC to double-check what they are currently, but the Chase Ink cards are no-AF, decent categories, usually have great sign up bonuses, and I've heard you can open more than one.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I’ve done multiple Chase Ink cards. I just churned them for the SUB which are really nice. The Ink Unlimited has no AF and a $750 on $6k spend in 3 months. 1.5% cb on all purchases.

The Ink Preferred SUB doesn’t seem worth it right now unless you hit the spend. $1,000 for spending $15k. Has a $95 AF, 3% back on shipping, advertising, internet, and travel. 1% on everything else.

If you apply, make sure you put your expected business expenses amount above what you want the credit limit to be. I put a small amount of revenue on one application and got a 3k limit which made it a little more cumbersome to hit the $6k spend when I already had the purchase planned out. Higher expected revenue on my next one got me a higher limit.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Thanks, we'll check those out!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I was wondering if there is a web app that tracks potential CC rewards. For instance I have 4 credit cards that i keep $0 monthly balance. I enter all 4 CC types and it lists what bonus rewards they provide. My chase freedom has new reward bonuses a quarter, so I never remember what it can do for me.

I was about to buy some concert tickets, but I'm not sure which card might give the best points for this. So it got me thinking. My google-fu is failing.
Nerdwallet must have the data for this.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
TPG to Go - Free
MaxRewards - Paid

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Girbot posted:

TPG to Go - Free
MaxRewards - Paid

Thanks!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So annoyed that I’m in stupid Amex pop up jail for the green card.

I just want something from Amex that gives decent restaurant rewards. But not badly enough that I will foregoing the sign up bonus obviously.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

smackfu posted:

So annoyed that I’m in stupid Amex pop up jail for the green card.

I just want something from Amex that gives decent restaurant rewards. But not badly enough that I will foregoing the sign up bonus obviously.

Try a referral link, or try from incognito/vpn.

If you poke at it from different ways you might sneak one past without a popup.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
Anything wrong with the USAA 1.5% Cashback card? I would use it to replace a CapOne Quicksilver.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Magic City Monday posted:

Anything wrong with the USAA 1.5% Cashback card? I would use it to replace a CapOne Quicksilver.

Don't know much about that one, but it's not 2%, which is gettable from a number of different cards (Fidelity 2% is one).

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

There are too many easily obtainable 2% cards to ever consider a 1.5% card.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

If you bank with USAA you might find convenience compelling. 500$ on 100k spend is not that much difference.

There are lots of 2% and even 2.5% cards.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

saintonan posted:

There are too many easily obtainable 2% cards to ever consider a 1.5% card.
Isn’t the exception the Chase Freedom Unlimited which, if you transfer the points to a Sapphire account, you get 2.25% effective?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Plus, on its own the Freedom Unlimited gets 3% back at restaurants and drugstores and 5% in the Chase travel portal (as does the Freedom Flex).

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn’t the exception the Chase Freedom Unlimited which, if you transfer the points to a Sapphire account, you get 2.25% effective?

The Chase Sapphire Reserve would be 2.25% effective, the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be 1.875%.

Note that both those Sapphire cards have annual fees.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

saintonan posted:

The Chase Sapphire Reserve would be 2.25% effective, the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be 1.875%.

This. CFU is a good card in its own right, but is only worth using for general spending if you are confining yourself to the Chase trifecta and keeping a Sapphire Reserve (not a Preferred) open on its own merits, not for this purpose. Yes, the bonus sounds nice, but even after you add that multiplier to either Freedom card, you can still easily get similar value for each of their categories elsewhere, for no annual fee. The only exception is the rotating quarterly bonus on the Freedom Flex or old Freedom, which is capped (and sometimes difficult to even max out said cap), so imo that's not worth paying an AF to increase either. You'll end up in the red.

Basically unless you have unusually high travel spending and specifically prefer those flexible Chase points, keeping either Sapphire open is a rough option right now. And without one of those boosting the CFU, OP is better off with a regular 2% or 2.5% card for their general daily spending.

Space Fish posted:

Plus, on its own the Freedom Unlimited gets 3% back at restaurants and drugstores and 5% in the Chase travel portal (as does the Freedom Flex).

I think for most people the Freedom Flex is the only one worth keeping at this point. It's the best of both worlds for no AF. If I was starting out, I would probably get one of the Sapphires (once their bonus comes back up) and then downgrade it into a Flex in a year and keep indefinitely. Pair that with the Fidelity 2% or the Alliant 2.5% and you've covered almost all your bases.

Edit: or just do the 2.5% for everything and call it done. :shrug:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 14, 2023

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Citi’s double cash is 2% and becomes 2.2% when paired with a rewards+ card, both no fee.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

saintonan posted:

That's if you pay for travel with points through the UR portal though, right? If you transfer to one of their partners like Southwest whose points are worth about 1.5 cents, you're getting 2.25% effective.

It seems like the only reason to buy through the portal is if you want a flight that's not on JetBlue/Southwest/United (their domestic airline partners) or hotel that's not Marriott/Hyatt/IHG.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just switched to my final Amex Plat, the Chuck Schwab version. The sign up bonus was only 80k, but my renewal was coming up and it didn't feel like waiting an extra year for an extra 20k points was worth it, since you get a discount on the Schwab version AF if you have some assets with them.

I'll finally have a place to use all of my Amex points I can't figure out what to do with!

Am I the only one that has found it a PITA to actually use Amex points? I tend not to use them on flights since my wife and I aren't travel bloggers who fly on a random Tuesday at 2pm. We'd use them on hotels, but the Marriott options seem to offer terrible value.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I've posted several similar complaints over the year. Best I've come up with without doing the Schwab cash back thing is to use them for buying other people travel on delta points. Or you can get a 1% value on the travel portal I think with pay with points.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Apparently you can go over the Roth IRA contribution limit with amex points using the Schwab card. Because no one values them as actual cash.

https://www.drmcfrugal.com/roth-ira-loophole-schwab-amex/

I am not a tax accountant,.please verify with your own, etc. But this would make them worth considerably more than just cash. Worth more than any other redemption to me.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Baddog posted:

Apparently you can go over the Roth IRA contribution limit with amex points using the Schwab card. Because no one values them as actual cash.

https://www.drmcfrugal.com/roth-ira-loophole-schwab-amex/

I am not a tax accountant,.please verify with your own, etc. But this would make them worth considerably more than just cash. Worth more than any other redemption to me.

Be aware that there is a penalty for over contributing to an IRA. I would not recommend doing this.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This scheme doesn’t make much sense to me. if you had two Roth IRAs at two different institutions, they would also easily let you overcontribute but that wouldn’t do you any good when the forms get sent to the IRS.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

smackfu posted:

This scheme doesn’t make much sense to me. if you had two Roth IRAs at two different institutions, they would also easily let you overcontribute but that wouldn’t do you any good when the forms get sent to the IRS.

Schwab doesn’t consider them contributions and doesn’t report them as such.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Doesnt matter what Schwab thinks, they dont make tax rules.

While I dont think the IRS is going to go after anyone who overcontributes by a few hundred dollars and doesnt report it, that doesnt make it legal. Consider an extreme example of a credit card with a $1M annual fee that gave you 100% cashback rewards on up to $999,000 per year of spending and deposited those rewards into a Roth. I think the IRS would care about that, and mechanically its not much different than what Schwab is doing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Wow. I agree this isn’t something I would want to involved myself in, it seems like the kind of loophole they close and then send corrected tax forms.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I did one of those "move X amount to a new IRA and get $500" type bonuses last year and that extra $500 deposited into my Roth IRA didn't count against the limit. That ruling seems to be because it is treated as interest income, and therefore earned inside the IRA. I'm not too sure about the Amex points redemption though. Normally credit card bonuses and point redemptions aren't taxable because they are considered rebates/reimbursements (another loophole I think nobody cares enough to address). So being able to take a rebate/reimbursement from a non-IRA purchase and put it into an IRA doesn't seem to have any justification for not counting towards the contribution limit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

THF13 posted:

I did one of those "move X amount to a new IRA and get $500" type bonuses last year and that extra $500 deposited into my Roth IRA didn't count against the limit. That ruling seems to be because it is treated as interest income, and therefore earned inside the IRA. I'm not too sure about the Amex points redemption though. Normally credit card bonuses and point redemptions aren't taxable because they are considered rebates/reimbursements (another loophole I think nobody cares enough to address). So being able to take a rebate/reimbursement from a non-IRA purchase and put it into an IRA doesn't seem to have any justification for not counting towards the contribution limit.

I think it’s because it’s non taxable non income, essentially.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

I think it’s because it’s non taxable non income, essentially.

Plenty of things are non taxable, such as inheritances and gifts (below certain large limits at least). That's not a magic trick to exceed personal IRA contribution limits.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

drk posted:

Plenty of things are non taxable, such as inheritances and gifts (below certain large limits at least). That's not a magic trick to exceed personal IRA contribution limits.

You think the tax code is not full of magic tricks to do things?

Absolutely don’t do it if you don’t want to. It obviously offers risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Someone's gotta be playing the manufactured spending game and/or figured out a way to buy pudding to fund their Roth for millions.