Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The other problem is that the anti air weapons don't really have any amount of interaction or skill. You just have to happen to be the right class and then point your rocket launcher up at the jet in the sky long enough to lock on. So there's no chance to really "outplay" them, you just take the literal one option available to you and then they either notice the big homing-missile-incoming warning on their screen and press the chaff button to live or they don't (probably because it's on cooldown) and they die. Even if you buffed antiair to make jets less annoying you wouldn't really fix that gameplay dynamic to be not bad.

Yep.

What's extremely funny is that this dynamic was painfully apparent literally twenty years ago with Battlefield 2 and yet here we are in 2023 still talking about it. Jets just flat out do not belong in a game where most people are playing on the ground. The only interaction that ever exists between the two sides is getting randomly blown up, either on the ground by a jet or in a jet by a lock-on ground weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
That's why Bad Company 2 was great. Just people living in the moment, no jet in sight.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

battlebit does honestly feel like all the good bits of bad company 2 and battlefield 3 combined tbh

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Battlefield 4 introduced a fun little rail gun you could find on some maps which would handily 1-tap aircraft.
But it wasn't a regular load out option.

In Battlebits, a single rpg will kill a helicopter- which so far as I have seen are mobile spawnpoints rather than gunships.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
When will somebody make a blocky tribes game. I'd do it myself, but I'm more of an ideas guy.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Having never played a battlefield game, what's the selling point of "No Jets" ?

People, especially goons, get really mad about jets

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Having never played a battlefield game, what's the selling point of "No Jets" ?

No Jets IS a selling point because jets were always the worst thing about battlefield games

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 18, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I never liked the jets because I had to race a bunch of folks who really wanted a jet and then I was basically just playing a kind of awkward flying game that didn't have much to do with everything else.

Way more fun to just yolo into chaos with some other dudes in a vehicle or find a good sniping spot

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Again, Desert Combat solved this before the other Battlefields regressed on it.

The closer a jet got to ground the more dangerous it was. Nobody had to wait for a lockon, they could just fire at the aircraft and G2A was quite lethal. A2G aircraft were very vulnerable to dedicated fighter jets as well.

It is only the developers' steadfast refusal to learn from the BF1942 mod they all took inspiration from that makes air oppressive.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It seems strange to argue that a single person on a team of 30, 60, 120 people being able to single-handedly crush the entire enemy team is bad for their own team because that single player isn't on an objective.

If the entire enemy team is dead or dying who is there to contest the rest of your teammates from controlling the objectives?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the other team's jet

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Idiootti posted:

That's why Bad Company 2 was great. Just people living in the moment, no jet in sight.
The attacks helis in that game were brutal.

Sab669 posted:

It seems strange to argue that a single person on a team of 30, 60, 120 people being able to single-handedly crush the entire enemy team is bad for their own team because that single player isn't on an objective.

If the entire enemy team is dead or dying who is there to contest the rest of your teammates from controlling the objectives?
I mean, people just respawn on the objective until you cap it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jets weren't really that bad unless you were dumb enough to play BF without enough people to fill out a whole squad so you could deal with whatever yourself. Your team was ever only chaff for you regardless.

It was always fun to watch jet duels end in both players slamming into a radio tower they weren't looking at

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

I don't play Battlefield games but can't you solve that problem by making jets a bit slower and louder, to let people react to them, and maybe also buffing anti-air options?

It's called Battlefield 1, the best Battlefield game.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Battlefield 1 just had terrible guns and terrible shooting mechanics, the maps were cool though. I am not sure what they did to shooting, but I went back in to it recently since people seem to have nostalgia for it, and it was awful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should've played more BF1 but my cooling system failed at some point and it melted a hole straight through my graphics card lol

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rusty posted:

Battlefield 1 just had terrible guns and terrible shooting mechanics, the maps were cool though. I am not sure what they did to shooting, but I went back in to it recently since people seem to have nostalgia for it, and it was awful.

The shooting feels like you're just lobbing glowing orbs at one another with those obnoxious tracer effects but it probably has the best war-feel out of any entry in the series I'd say.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Has anyone found a use for the stamina patches in the SS remake?

I can't figure out a good use case. Fights don't last long enough for it to matter. When sprinting through cleared areas, I want to go faster; not faster then slower for no net benefit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LLSix posted:

Has anyone found a use for the stamina patches in the SS remake?

I can't figure out a good use case. Fights don't last long enough for it to matter. When sprinting through cleared areas, I want to go faster; not faster then slower for no net benefit.

No.

I can't say I've even noticed that there's a stamina system at all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BF1's "terrible guns" were the best part, it actually gave them personality and specific use cases instead of the modern games' "this AR-15 variant fires slightly faster but with slightly more recoil."

Also lol if you don't think the scopeless Martini Henry is God's own personal firearm.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

It's called Battlefield 1, the best Battlefield game.

Wasn't that the one that pretended to be a WW1 game without actually having any WW1 guns?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Mordja posted:

BF1's "terrible guns" were the best part, it actually gave them personality and specific use cases instead of the modern games' "this AR-15 variant fires slightly faster but with slightly more recoil."

Also lol if you don't think the scopeless Martini Henry is God's own personal firearm.
I mostly play Hell Let Loose so I don't mind single shot rifles, it's like the other person said, they just sprayed out glowing balls, and didn't hit where you shot. The visuals and maps were top notch, but it was not fun to play for me anyway.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Wasn't that the one that pretended to be a WW1 game without actually having any WW1 guns?

the experimental guns that never saw any use in WWI, or any war, were some of the coolest weapons in the game

but there were also a ton of authentic WWI weapons and even a game mode that forced players to use bolt actions, but most opted not to

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the experimental guns that never saw any use in WWI, or any war, were some of the coolest weapons in the game

but there were also a ton of authentic WWI weapons and even a game mode that forced players to use bolt actions, but most opted not to

I only saw some of the early gameplay footage but what I saw looked like loving CoD, with people sprinting around with automatic submachine guns which was extremely lame for an alleged WW1 game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Yep.

What's extremely funny is that this dynamic was painfully apparent literally twenty years ago with Battlefield 2 and yet here we are in 2023 still talking about it. Jets just flat out do not belong in a game where most people are playing on the ground. The only interaction that ever exists between the two sides is getting randomly blown up, either on the ground by a jet or in a jet by a lock-on ground weapon.

And this is why Hardline was the best 'modern' BF game :colbert:

No jets at all.
Heli's could be damaged with MGs and such from the ground.
You also got to shoot cops.
:siren: :siren: Woop-woop, that's the sound of da police

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Battlefield has never been much for realism. Wouldn’t have made for a good battlefield game to have all bolt actions . But the random accuracy cones were a real bummer in 1.

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 18, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I only saw some of the early gameplay footage but what I saw looked like loving CoD, with people sprinting around with automatic submachine guns which was extremely lame for an alleged WW1 game.

turns out most ppl prefer to use the fun guns with unique aesthetics if the popularity of the bolt-action game mode is any indication

and there’s nothing stopping a player from using only the most period-accurate weaponry, some of those guns were near the top of the meta and viable in most modes

I like that there were a lot of weird weapons that ive never heard. Gave the game a really unique feel to its theming that other WWI games dont usually go for

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DRG's bolt-action rifle is one of the most satisfying guns in any game. Granted, it's laser accurate and powerful.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

turns out most ppl prefer to use the fun guns with unique aesthetics if the popularity of the bolt-action game mode is any indication

and there’s nothing stopping a player from using only the most period-accurate weaponry, some of those guns were near the top of the meta and viable in most modes

I like that there were a lot of weird weapons that ive never heard. Gave the game a really unique feel to its theming that other WWI games dont usually go for

What other WW1 games?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

What other WW1 games?

off the top of my head, theres Verdun and Isonzo. Havent played them, but they seem to be a more realistic take on WWI if thats what youre looking for

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

What other WW1 games?
Necrovision.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

It basically was but also nobody gave the slightest gently caress about the accuracy besides redditors

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

It basically was but also nobody gave the slightest gently caress about the accuracy besides redditors

I just don't see the point of using a fairly unique setting and making the same game you've always made using that setting's skin, but what do I know.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I just don't see the point of using a fairly unique setting and making the same game you've always made using that setting's skin, but what do I know.

I think people had a lot of fun playing it and enjoyed the slightest comic setting op, so I think that was the point

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Croccers posted:

And this is why Hardline was the best 'modern' BF game :colbert:

No jets at all.
Heli's could be damaged with MGs and such from the ground.
You also got to shoot cops.
:siren: :siren: Woop-woop, that's the sound of da police

It's a crime that Hardline bombed so badly, it just needed to be its own IP.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Battlebit Remastered - if the map is about to end and you're in a damaged vehicle, the "WARNING: VEHICLE DAMAGED" beeping noise will persist the entire 40 seconds or whatever after the level ends but before the next map loads

So you might want to exit the vehicle

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Random question. I don’t know if I’m tired or what, but I’m playing a demo for Islands of the Caliph and there are only keyboard shortcuts right now, no mouse. They use wasd and letter keys for most actions. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what keys “cul” and “cur” refer to.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Deakul posted:

It's a crime that Hardline bombed so badly, it just needed to be its own IP.

I failed to play it because I thought I’d miss the heavy military vehicles but I regret skipping it now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Random question. I don’t know if I’m tired or what, but I’m playing a demo for Islands of the Caliph and there are only keyboard shortcuts right now, no mouse. They use wasd and letter keys for most actions. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what keys “cul” and “cur” refer to.

just a wild guess but could it be { and }

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

just a wild guess but could it be { and }

Argh, yeah that makes sense. Thanks