Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Turd-filled rear end? Putin’s about to poo poo his pants again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes, but are they doing the torture in existing government buildings? This is the dealbreaker for NGOs.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Karate Bastard posted:

What does TASS mean? I mean I understand rear end, but what does the T stand for?

Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Soyuz [the USSR].

They rebranded as ITAR-TASS (Information Telegraph Agency of Russia) for a bit, but went back to just TASS in 2014; I think it's one of those mildly annoying "this is no longer an abbreviation" rebrands.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/06/16/world/europe/ukraine-kakhovka-dam-collapse.html

Times article which basically concludes that Russia blew up the dam

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I'm not even going to require overwhelming proof that they did it, since it's so obvious.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol Russians drink poo water pass it on

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There was a weird video of people suited up with hazmat poo poo/bio suits in the occupied area. I had sussed this was part of possible bio weapons terrorism by Russia. But I guess not?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1670396409672081408

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hahaha the comments

"Oh if a tank gets hit with that thing it's game over"

:goonsay:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There was a weird video of people suited up with hazmat poo poo/bio suits in the occupied area. I had sussed this was part of possible bio weapons terrorism by Russia. But I guess not?

Lol why would you go immediately to that?

Generally speaking, whenever there's a big flood there's increased risk of water-borne diseases from all the sewage and dead stuff floating around, and from water-borne vectors like mosquitoes and parasites and the like.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I mean, bringing back mothballed weapons has been the thing in this war, we have already seen Mosin-Nagant rifles, Maxims and I am 95% certain that I have seen Lewis gun, or something really similar looking, in the service.

So Russia bringing back antitank rifles wouldn't be completely odd, I mean FDF until 1988 had similar Lahti L-39 mothballed and in storage as infantry's anti-helicopter guns.

^^^^^^ After a massive flood everything is covered in a thin-to-medium thick layer of poo poo brought up by the flood waters. You really do not want to go out there unless you have biosafety overalls, wellies, antistab gloves and respirator, unless you enjoy getting all diseases known to mankind.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 18, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

spankmeister posted:

Lol why would you go immediately to that?

Generally speaking, whenever there's a big flood there's increased risk of water-borne diseases from all the sewage and dead stuff floating around.

Because Russia is very close to losing the war and finding a way to freeze the conflict lines is their only way out at this point that doesn't include losing everything or the Crimean land bridge.

So seeing a bunch of bio hazmat dudes got the first time in a long time was a surprise. And I didn't expect they'd be doing anything other than something nefarious. I mean Russia has not given a gently caress about anyone or themselves for the entirety of the war so I didn't think it would be a humanitarian mission.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean that has to just be like the Belorusian soldiers making a human pyramid, it's just fetishization of WW2 equipment, he's even basically doing trick shots that you would never really do in combat by shooting it standing like that as far as I understand those weapons. If you want an old AT weapon, RPGs have got to be waaay more effective than that and there are literal millions of them around.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Randarkman posted:

I mean that has to just be like the Belorusian soldiers making a human pyramid, it's just fetishization of WW2 equipment, he's even basically doing trick shots that you would never really do in combat by shooting it standing like that as far as I understand those weapons. If you want an old AT weapon, RPGs have got to be waaay more effective than that and there are literal millions of them around.

Those things are just heavy machineguns with a relatively long barrel if they can do full auto, or heavy semi-automatic rifles if they cannot. There are potential uses for them where they don't completely suck, but doing its original thing, antitank, isn't one of them.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just wait until Russia gets their hands on some of those Chinese issued rifles

They might leave a terrible welt if someone shoots you!

https://v.redd.it/96j54envvye91/DASH_1080.mp4?source=fallback

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Toxic Mental posted:

Just wait until Russia gets their hands on some of those Chinese issued rifles

They might leave a terrible welt if someone shoots you!

https://v.redd.it/96j54envvye91/DASH_1080.mp4?source=fallback

Are those rounds hitting the target sideways?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bullet tumble. At five meters. And for some reason they're shooting a brick wall.

Though as someone pointed out, they're not worried about ricochet because it already ricochets - when it hits the air in front of the muzzle.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

HAmbONE posted:

Yes, but they may be rubber training rounds (according to some source somehwhere and would make sense since that's shooting a wall a bit too close for comfort).

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hahaha the comments

"Oh if a tank gets hit with that thing it's game over"

:goonsay:

I think all a soldier is going to do using that is alert the tank to his exact location. That and probably go deaf.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I guess you could also basically use it to shoot at hummers and whatever. Though there has to be more convenient ways to do that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HAmbONE posted:

Targets are getting keyholed like pros, that ain't right. :ughh:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ive gotta imagine the more modern russian heavy machine guns would be more effective against light armor than a ww2 era anti materiel rifle anyways

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Karate Bastard posted:

rear end hole.

P(utin is a piece of poo poo)utin

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

ive gotta imagine the more modern russian heavy machine guns would be more effective against light armor than a ww2 era anti materiel rifle anyways

Yes, but then you notice that the roof of your dacha's spa pavilion needs new marble statues and they aren't exactly cheap; It's also very easy to sell actual heavy machine guns, or lose the money given to make more. At least easier than trying to make money with 50+ year old relics, that no longer are suitable for their primary function.

EDIT: Did a bit of googling and PTRS-41 and PTRD-41 both are single fire, so they don't actually work as heavy machine gun substitutes that well either.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The AT rifle is highly effective against t-34s

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

Here it should probably be noted that just like the US's M2 .50 cal, the Soviet DshK 12.7 mm that's still in service is a super old weapon of the type that's seemingly just been perfected.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

At rifles are actually being used against the ukrainians super soldiers that are being captured inside of Sevastopol bay. Their dermal armor can't be penetrated by 7.62x39

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1670498014215979008

:getin:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The AT rifle is highly effective against t-34s

tbh im not even sure they were effective against t-34s

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

HAmbONE posted:

Modern rifle bullets get improved lethality without breaking the Hague conventions1 by being designed so that they are stable in air but unstable in anything denser, like flesh. The idea being that the bullet flies straight and true in air, but as soon as it hits someone it will start a rapid and catastrophic tumble until it's going sideways, at which point it fragments.

To do this correctly, the bullet needs to be right at the edge of stability when it's in air. If you gently caress up a little, it'll start going sideways straight out the barrel. This not only takes away all your accuracy, but is also so unaerodynamic that the bullet slows down really quickly.

1: By some interpretations...

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 18, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Here's some extremely cynical poo poo:

The Russo-Ukrainian War posted:

The USSR began its life with massive affirmative action for the non-Russian cultures outside the Russian Federation. But cultural Russification of the borderlands returned in the late 1920s and early 1930s, when Stalin emerged as Lenin's sole successor and began preparing the country for war. One reason for the change was industrialization, which, given Russian control of the all-Union party, came with the advance of Russian as the language of administration, science, and technology. Another reason was accommodation of the Russians as the largest nationality in the now Soviet empire, along with concern to integrate the non-Russian nationalities culturally so that they would not switch sides in the coming war.

In Ukraine, the largest non-Russian republic of the USSR, the change of nationality policy was signaled by show trials against the Ukrainian intelligentsia. The first such trial, which took place in 1929, was followed by an attack on the Ukrainian party cadres and the peasantry which reached its peak during the Holodomor, or the Great Ukrainian Famine of 1932-1933. As many as four million Ukrainians were starved to death as part of a concerted campaign to crush the peasant resistance to collectivization and maximize grain delivery for Soviet industrialization. In the month leading up to the famine, Stalin warned his associated that such measures were needed to prevent loss of control over Ukraine.

World War II led to another shift in Moscow's policy toward the nationalities. Although Russocentrism was not abandoned, more manifestations of Ukrainian and other non-Russian patriotism were allowed. The Soviet takeover of Poland's eastern provinces in 1939 was justified as liberation of fellow Ukrainians and Russians from Polish capitalist oppression. It was also celebrated in ethnic terms as the reunion of western Ukraine and western Belarus with the corresponding Soviet republics. The old imperial reunification paradigm was back, this time dressed in Ukrainian and Belarusian clothing.

After Hitler attacked the USSR in June 1941, non-Russian nationalism was mobilized once again, especially in Ukraine, to encourage patriotic resistance to the German invasion. Once German forces occupied all of Ukraine with the assistance of their Hungarian and Romanian allies, Moscow did not mind promoting the Ukrainian language, culture, and history to mobilize resistance and inspire the loyalty of more than six million Ukrainians drafted into the Red Army. The Ukrainian card was also played at home and a road to justify the military takeover and annexation of western Ukrainian lands ruled by Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Romania during the interwar period.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Is this where the distant explosion was seen earlier? The post says it was a known ammo dump for 8 years, so that's weird that they didn't take it out earlier.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

Is this where the distant explosion was seen earlier? The post says it was a known ammo dump for 8 years, so that's weird that they didn't take it out earlier.

Yes, that's exactly it. They couldn't take it out because it was out of the himars range and why they kept asking for longer distance weapons. Now with the ability to hit stuff really far away, not only prigozhin is going to feel the lack of munitions. It's on the one rail line going from Crimea

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

mobby_6kl posted:

Because right now is when that ammo would be most needed I assume.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Geolocation: 46.3343216, 34.7542710 I believe that puts it outside HIMARS range, so it's almost certainly had to be kept in reserve until Storm Shadow came along.
Before & after satellite photos:
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1670414041645187078

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1670510694838546436?s=20

So this is how they are using those T-54s.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You don't do this unless you are winning an have a surplus of tanks!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Holy poo poo that explosion