Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, Southland Tales. Super unimpressed and makes sense why it killed Kelly’s career. That being said, does reading the graphic novels help the movie? Or is it just a wild-rear end stew? It’s so loving 2005 in some ways that it hurts. A The Killers music piece? What the gently caress!?

Incoming gripweed post in 5..4..3..

You right though, that movie was rough. Oh, read an indie comic book that serves as part 1 that I had no idea came out even back then to really "get it"? uhhh, no thanks

I don't even think I've seen his version of Donnie Darko, isn't the director's cut the worse version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

I don't even think I've seen his version of Donnie Darko, isn't the director's cut the worse version?

lol by far

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Donnie Darko director's cut loving sucks. The best part of Donnie Darko was that old tie-in website with sound clips of people investigating Donnie's death in the main timeline.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cool, it'll never come out of my arrow 2 disc collection. It can join all the ridley revised bladerunner cuts in discs that should not be within my collection.

e: heres me clarifying my bladerunner position

i think the ambiguity of harrison ford not knowing in the same way the audience can argue in both directions is what makes that movie next level...so those interviews way way after the fact where ridley comes out and says "HES A ROBOT" is fuckin' lame to me. like yeah, he more then likely is a replicant and thats the tragedy..but again, there's enough there that you could go the other way, so eat poo poo ridley scott. #madatmovies

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 18, 2023

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m really glad I didn’t blind buy Southland Tales. Kelly is way up his own rear end and his no longer existing career isn’t a surprise.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Southland Tales is so bizarre I love it. The whole vibe is weird as poo poo. I wish it was somehow 19 hours long.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I started watching Southland Tales earlier this week. Got about 35 minutes in and bailed, I just couldn’t take the constant narration and half-baked attempts at satire.

It’s just bad. There’s so many movies from that same era doing similar-but-better satires that I don’t get why this one in particular has gained such a cult following.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1670455652425121794

I can finally upgrade my DVD

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Richard Kelly wrote a script for an adaptation of Holes 4 years before Disney released their version. It’s far more insane than you’d believe. I thought it had to be an elaborate joke but haven’t been able to find anything refuting it.

https://youtu.be/Uf5xSg6IhKA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, Southland Tales. Super unimpressed and makes sense why it killed Kelly’s career. That being said, does reading the graphic novels help the movie? Or is it just a wild-rear end stew? It’s so loving 2005 in some ways that it hurts. A The Killers music piece? What the gently caress!?

You need to accept there are some things you won’t understand. This is the way the world ends.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I keep waiting for that movie to get reappraised and people realize it’s racist.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

Severin's cellar was better IMO. Too hot for YouTube, apparently, as they deleted Severin's channel with all the cellar videos.

Lol that's some bullshit

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

I keep waiting for that movie to get reappraised and people realize it’s racist.

I'm intrigued..go on..

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Richard Kelly wrote a script for an adaptation of Holes 4 years before Disney released their version. It’s far more insane than you’d believe. I thought it had to be an elaborate joke but haven’t been able to find anything refuting it.

https://youtu.be/Uf5xSg6IhKA

I remember reading this script online in like highschool. It's pretty nutty and IIRC a couple of the ideas ended up in Southland Tales

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

I'm intrigued..go on..

It's just Sophia Coppola ripping off Wong Kar Wai except going "wow isn't Asia crazy???"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zer0spunk posted:

I'm intrigued..go on..

The entire movie is built on the idea of Japan being impossibly foreign and strange. There’s even a loving “they can’t say L!” comedy scene for fucks sake.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
yeah, I didn't get that read since it's from the perspective of a 20-something tourist, so it tracked for me.

if anything it romanticized Tokyo in a way that made me want to visit even more and/or drink suntory

but i'm always interested in different takes, so i feel you

e: more reasons i like this film:

lance accord photographs it beautifully (like i get the tumblr bait of the opening shot, and i'm not even touching that..but the rest of it is top notch)
i appreciate the focus of the film not going into the creepy romance territory
i really like the choice of the last scene sophia made, even if it's polarizing
in the making of side of things, the photography is based on a ton of photos sophia took while in japan (then translated into cinematography by accord), and it reflects that tourist sensibility of an actual appreciation of an unknown place instead of appropriation..maybe legit Japanese folk feel different here though

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 18, 2023

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Moar ingtengcity

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I took those scenes as a mockery of the commercial world from the pov of bill murrays bitter washed up character, not racist caricature and i complained loudly about the charlie chan aliens in phantom menace in the theater in 99 to silence..i'd like to think i call that poo poo out quick, but i never really took away lost in translation is racist..so..idk maybe i'm naive

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I just don't like Sophia Coppola bc she's a nepo baby who can't act.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mantis42 posted:

You sound like 16 yo tictoker who deliberately makes their under eye bags look puffy

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Moar ingtengcity

that scene is untranslated but it’s hilarious because she is a terrible translator and the director says nothing like that at all

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mantis42 posted:

She did suck in the godfather 3, but then again, she was a child.

I think her and roman are solid directors, though I never checked to see if roman did anything after CQ..and I still haven't seen a good chunk of sophias newer stuff from bling ring onward...but I stand by virgin suicides is a killer first film

e: roman did a glimpse inside the mind of charles swan with charlie sheen, which has been on my watchlist forever yet I had no idea he directed it..then it looks like he's been collabing with wes anderson from there since

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 18, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also Sofia Coppola is only in Godfather III because Winona Ryder got sick and we have to start filming and Paramount will brook no delays.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ve got John Wick 4 on with the sub bouncing. Goddamn this movie rips and looks amazing in Dolby vision.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

I’ve got John Wick 4 on with the sub bouncing. Goddamn this movie rips and looks amazing in Dolby vision.

I think they finally nailed the action in this one, and it would be smart to let keanu off the hook, but they are already promoting 5 and two tv shows so..yeah. could have gone out on a high note..

the lore is the dumbest poo poo, and it's wild we all agree and somehow they kept extending that part of it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

The Virgin Suicides rules, The Beguiled rules

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Chris James 2 posted:

The Virgin Suicides rules, The Beguiled rules

I skipped marie attoniette because I thought the choice of anachronism in a period piece felt really strange, but I should give that one a chance

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just threw on chapter 2 of Way of Water, makes me want to get the 3D version as well.

I redeemed the MA code, who wants it for Disney Insider?

I do! Was just digging through my collection last night scrounging for codes, trying to get my points back up to get Elemental posters and the inevitable Indy poster.

Excellent, and it's from Kino so there's a good chance it'll be a dual-format.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 18, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

I think they finally nailed the action in this one, and it would be smart to let keanu off the hook, but they are already promoting 5 and two tv shows so..yeah. could have gone out on a high note..

They’ve been nailing the action since 1, but I won’t begrudge them another movie if they still have the ideas for it.everyone thought they were tapped after 3, but then they came back and delivered a 3 hour epic masterpiece. I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

They’ve been nailing the action since 1, but I won’t begrudge them another movie if they still have the ideas for it.everyone thought they were tapped after 3, but then they came back and delivered a 3 hour epic masterpiece. I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I think the key thing going forward is they need to continue to add action icons to the mix. Donnie Yen kicked things up to a different level that the movie definitely wouldn't have achieved without him. Go after Iko Uwais or Tony Jaa for the next one. Also Scott Adkins should be in every sequel from here on out as a different character each time. These are guys that bring their own established style which is important for keeping the usual John Wick action fresh.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been watching the movies I got from the Criterion sale, and watched Scanners for the first time in 10-15 years. What a cool film. They should make more movies where the main character's eyes explode and they catch on fire. I liked the little special effect documentary that's in the release too, such cool ideas and minds at work.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

pwn posted:

I do! Was just digging through my collection last night scrounging for codes, trying to get my points back up to get Elemental posters and the inevitable Indy poster.

PM sent!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Kino, the true heroes of physical media, announced a special edition Blu-ray for Death Wish 5. Should easily surpass the transfer on my Umbrella double feature.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ultraviolence123 posted:

Kino, the true heroes of physical media, announced a special edition Blu-ray for Death Wish 5. Should easily surpass the transfer on my Umbrella double feature.

Bronson on the cover art for death wish 5 makes me think he's trying to do a jon hendren impression every time i see it for some reason

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yep

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1670084692098310145

Also dear god :stare:
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1670530763303813123

quote:

Coming soon to Blu-ray from Paramount Pictures

Star Trek: The Picard Legacy Collection (1987-2023)

35 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES
PREMIUM PACKAGING CONTAINING 54 DISCS, 154 Episodes and Exclusive Collectables
All Series and Films Featuring Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Star Trek: The Next Generation® – Seasons 1-7
Star Trek: Picard – Seasons 1-3
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek: Insurrection

Exclusive Collectables:
Magnetic Captain Picard Badges
4 Custom Chateau Picard Drink Coasters
Custom Deck of Playing Cards

Exclusive Version of The Wisdom of Picard, The Wisdom of Picard: The Legacy Collection Edition
Featuring New Cover Art
Including quotes from the latest seasons of Star Trek: Picard

Optional English SDH subtitles

Anticipated Street Date: October 17th

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

I think the key thing going forward is they need to continue to add action icons to the mix. Donnie Yen kicked things up to a different level that the movie definitely wouldn't have achieved without him. Go after Iko Uwais or Tony Jaa for the next one. Also Scott Adkins should be in every sequel from here on out as a different character each time. These are guys that bring their own established style which is important for keeping the usual John Wick action fresh.

Honestly give me a Caine and Akira solo pictures and a Nobody movie at some point (maybe he can team up with Bob Odenkirk too so we don’t lose that name either).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

I guess it depends on where you sit with these movies..the kind of more "grounded" first one in contrast to this last one where he's falling from heights and shaking it off in a full on gently caress-it-you-didn't-come-here-for-realism-mode to me..is way more entertaining. So when they just go full out why not with things like the long-rear end top-down camera segment, or having dude do 360s in a car circling thugs while firing an insane number of rounds I actually lean into that more than whatever the original concept of this was 3 movies ago.

But also maybe go out on top of the stairs metaphorically..unless you have a better reason for clancy brown in the next one..then I'm open to it

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Mr E posted:

I've been watching the movies I got from the Criterion sale, and watched Scanners for the first time in 10-15 years. What a cool film. They should make more movies where the main character's eyes explode and they catch on fire. I liked the little special effect documentary that's in the release too, such cool ideas and minds at work.

One of the coolest things to me when watching the movie for the first time last year was how it took place in locations that don't really exist anymore. Something about the bright chrome in all the mall scenes and the part where he hacks a computer and it shows all the circuit boards and capacitors...it somehow makes it feel all the more ethereal and intense. It's a really beautiful film with a lot to say and some brilliant effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

Not that they should since this one ended on a good note, but John Wick turning into “The Expendables, but actually watchable” wouldn’t be the worst way to extend the franchise.