Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
To be fair that sounds like a stupid post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Snoop also peaked like 30 years ago so I dunno about that take

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Queer Grenadier posted:

gently caress yea.

counter point gently caress John Oliver and his right wing marriage.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

counter point gently caress John Oliver and his right wing marriage.

His waht now?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Vampire Panties posted:

Personal anecdote: I used to frequent /r/leaves (a sub for quitting cannabis consumption). Someone posted a question on there, asking if it were really the weed holding them back or was it underlying issues. I wrote up a two paragraph effortpost response, mostly noting that only two people have successfully consumed cannabis throughout their entire career - Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg.

lmao

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Nurglings posted:

the nba sub found out mods were posting about the finals in the sub during the blackout, mods proceed to hide try to hide the evidence

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/14cbtjv/who_here_is_in_favor_of_just_replacing_these_shit/

this has always been my big internal conflict w/r/t the blackout, yeah corporate reddit sucks but the mods might be the least sympathetic group of protestors ever

i also think the blackout was a dumb idea anyways, I think if the mods really believe the place would turn to poo poo without them and wanted corporate reddit to see that I think it would've been far more effective to just resign en masse and let corporate reddit witness it first hand... but that would require giving up the power they've been wasting years accumulating

there was a mod on r/weightroom that did just that a year or two ago, for pretty much the exact same reasons. mad respect for that guy, in hindsight.
Yeah, the nba sub closing was dumb because it was the finals. Its like calling for a strike in the middle of christmas.

Then posting in the sub privately during the lockout just makes everything dumb. There's no reason to close and they should have just admitted it instead of splitting the difference.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

The Voice of Labor posted:

antiwork had an unsurprisingly maggotlike reopening statement

Does anyone have a screenshot of this?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

The Bananana posted:

His waht now?

he met his wife a Republican activist at the Republican national convention in 2008. Idk if she’s gotten bette r but she was pretty outspoken about being very right wing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

All the career pizza delivery guys get the last laugh.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm still reeling at the fact that this dude thinks only two popular musicians smoke weed

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

layers of lols in that post for sure

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

that antiwork mod's disastrous fox news interview basically killed it so i'm not surprised

edit:

Chewbecca posted:

Does anyone have a screenshot of this?

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 18, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

People really be out here thinking reddit is like, a public entity or something. lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

that antiwork mod's disastrous fox news interview basically killed it so i'm not surprised

edit:

:tipshat: thank you!

And I agree, that Fox news interview killed all the momentum that sub previously had as well as being a perfect encapsulation of mod brain in action lol

From memory an alternative sub opened up after the antiwork debacle, can anyone remember what it was?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i moved on to /r/wagesluts

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

And I agree, that Fox news interview killed all the momentum that sub previously had as well as being a perfect encapsulation of mod brain in action lol

From memory an alternative sub opened up after the antiwork debacle, can anyone remember what it was?

there's /r/freefromwork and /r/workreform now, I don't know the story behind it all but it sounds like a classic internet splinter situation

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
r/workreform, maybe?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

there's /r/freefromwork and /r/workreform now, I don't know the story behind it all but it sounds like a classic internet splinter situation

splitters!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The reddit mod of antiwork being a part-time dog walker was a true chef's kiss moment.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

r/workreform, maybe?

Yeah this was the one I remembered, although I'm sure there are lots

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Gorgeous Zan posted:

Ha, I think this is the article you're talking about.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

This guy is somehow worth $2 billion. Of course he runs Sears into the loving dirt with this stupid idea and has a massive yacht which is obviously called the Fountainhead.

Jesus Christ.

ahh I love you thank you very much

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Toxic Mental posted:

The reddit mod of antiwork being a part-time dog walker was a true chef's kiss moment.
It makes their dumb power grab of speaking for the community all the better. What a stupid person.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Vampire Panties posted:

Personal anecdote: I used to frequent /r/leaves (a sub for quitting cannabis consumption). Someone posted a question on there, asking if it were really the weed holding them back or was it underlying issues. I wrote up a two paragraph effortpost response, mostly noting that only two people have successfully consumed cannabis throughout their entire career - Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg. Cheech went straight a long time ago, Seth Rogan peaked with Superbad, and even Kevin Smith quit smoking weed. My reply was up for a few days, got some upvotes and responses, when an /r/leaves admin sent me an insultingly patronizing message summarized as - Since I hadn't given a personal anecdote, the post was against the rules and they had no choice but to delete it.

:what:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chewbecca posted:

To date it marks the only time that Jesse Watters has ever successfully owned anyone in an interview format. And what a curve that one was graded on!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

and goons blame secret cia kidnappers for the destruction of these movements lmao

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Toxic Mental posted:

edit:

That fox news interview was hilarious because the broke brain mod thought “the best programmers are lazy programmers” was literal.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nobody wants to not work anymore

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

nobody wants to work anymore, except as an unpaid reddit moderator

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

forest spirit posted:

Apparently I could sell my account for like 50 bucks

I wonder what they would use it for. I would hope it's a LLM that broke free and is looking for an old reg date to be incognito

That sort of thing has been happening here for quite a long time now. The Library of Congress took snapshots of the forum for 20 years.
https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009701/

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Vampire Panties posted:

To be fair, Tempe is six hours and a time zone away. New Yorkers would be pissed if someone living in DC was the solo admin of their sub.

Extreme right wing assholes claim the Minneapolis sub are run by leftist city dwellers when their posts get removed. Top mod is a rural gun lover*, another is a state trooper, and there are likely other rural conservatives modding the sub. Extremists are just mad they can't be openly racist and transphobic and blame the leftist city dwellers for their posts being removed despite the rules being written and enforced by a rural conservative.

*: He once held a public reddit gun meetup which is a staggeringly bad idea

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
that r/sandiego Reddit admin story is wild as hell. Who is this Arizona man, and why? Why this with his life? What is the end goal?

I dabbled in reddit in college and went to a half a meet because I left midway. The meet was held in the basement seating of an ok restaurant but the lighting was not great, and there isn’t much appeal in a “dimly lit Reddit meetup in 2011”. I kept my Reddit usage to lurking ever since, one of the few wise decisions in my life.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I remember one of the Michigan subs were super pissed when the plan got foiled to kidnap the governor or whoever that was.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

big black turnout posted:

I'm still reeling at the fact that this dude thinks only two popular musicians smoke weed

I hope he posts more

Weed is why Rubber Soul and Revolver were so underwhelming. God drat Bob Dylan!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

u_s_eh posted:

I hope he posts more

Weed is why Rubber Soul and Revolver were so underwhelming. God drat Bob Dylan!

I’m not gonna die of drugs like Bob Dylan dad

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqhnZcxjDRo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Grassy Knowles posted:

You mean Uncle Robert?

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Reddit’s comment system loving sucks sorry that’s my only contribution I don’t really use it and people who I meet irl who are “reddit” people are usually insufferable and have the chive stickers on their car

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

MisterOblivious posted:

That sort of thing has been happening here for quite a long time now. The Library of Congress took snapshots of the forum for 20 years.
https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009701/

woah people sell their SA accounts? That's wild tbh, I guess if you're someone who's been permabanned it's one way around that? I guess Jeffrey is cross-referencing poster IP's though so it would probably be caught

that you could sell a reddit account that's decently old for 100$+ dollars seems like a pretty good way to get... some return on the time investment on the site

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Reddit’s comment system loving sucks sorry that’s my only contribution I don’t really use it and people who I meet irl who are “reddit” people are usually insufferable and have the chive stickers on their car

Do people still put chive stickers on their car?? That seems so antiquated now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what the gently caress is a chive sticker