Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

euphronius posted:

I’ve only done pulverize Druid and it’s a blast

There are lots of little things you can do in the build

I found a perfect 100% shockwave aspect now I feel obligated to run pulverize once I reach endgame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

My highest character is a level 61 Necro, and while she's good so far, the endless wailing and gnashing of teeth from those further along is not very encouraging.

Does it really become nigh-unplayable later on, or is that just usual gamer kvetching and grass being greener?

The latter.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm doing a Frenzy Hammer Barb build but I think a Bone Spear Necro or Sorc is next.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it took getting 60% basic attack speed but I finally understand why people like lunging strike. at base speed it feels way too clunky but at this speed it's definitely better than frenzy

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

My highest character is a level 61 Necro, and while she's good so far, the endless wailing and gnashing of teeth from those further along is not very encouraging.

Does it really become nigh-unplayable later on, or is that just usual gamer kvetching and grass being greener?

You can take pretty much anything through the story/WT2, and a lot of complaints are more about the 70+ stuff. Bone necro is definitely really solid all the way through. Blood seems doable but weaker in comparison. I think *most* of the complaints for Necro revolve around minions, their terrible AI, and the minion paragon board nodes have been broken since launch so they feel super weak later on while other builds keep scaling. I've been doing what many others have opted for, which is picking bone or shadow as a primary and then doing a side of minions.

Like pretty much every character right now, if you can stack vuln damage (and crit, if going bone/blood) and enough defenses (armor/hp) to survive, you can corpse tendrils succ/vuln your way to victory with whatever main damage skill you like. Rack 'em and smack 'em!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

Might take a few characters to get all of the altars, but since the stat upgrade is for the account, I just made a level 1 guy to run in and grab them. I recommend beating the game first so you have a horse and can just warp to a closer spot. It took me 2 level 1's to get the 3 shrines in the lower PVP area since there is pretty high mob density near them, but for what its worth I did not see another person.

Cant u just get the altars without marking yourself for pvp? I thought pvp state was completely voluntary or when you extract shards? I just ran in on my 50 sorc, not that I saw anyone anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes you can

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Mikojan posted:

Cant u just get the altars without marking yourself for pvp? I thought pvp state was completely voluntary or when you extract shards? I just ran in on my 50 sorc, not that I saw anyone anyway.

Being able to attack others is voluntary. Anyone can attack you at any time in the pvp areas, whether you've marked or not, but you can use the altars either way.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Just dropping in to mention the hilarity that is pulverize druid with a base 97% Dr from armor lolol

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
if you’re at 85% or higher there’s no practical effect unfortunately. swap out skulls in jewelry for diamonds

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'll offer a different answe than anyone else: the problem with the necro is its jankyness.

-bone spear needs some setup otherwise you'll fire 4 spears and go out of mana, and builders either hit for 10x less than bone spear or...
-...corpse explosion covers with a black mist everything;
-minions are functional but have a bad overall feel due to a lack of control and being totally reliant on autopathing and autotargeting which has never been usable in this kind of games;
-you need corpses to start up anything, you're forced to fit a corpse generator in the build;
-this is personal but corpses add visual clutter

ymmv.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

harrygomm posted:

if you’re at 85% or higher there’s no practical effect unfortunately. swap out skulls in jewelry for diamonds

Really? Boooooooo

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

harrygomm posted:

there is if you're pushing sigils, your armor reduction is for equal level enemies

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

victrix posted:

there is if you're pushing sigils, your armor reduction is for equal level enemies

that was the unknown for me. i haven’t looked at people pushing lately, have they confirmed that it scales well vs just the various DR affixes ( in the case of gear affixes)?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Stux posted:

wanted to see what the hgihyl esteemed guides would recommend in the same situation

lmao

It's not wrong. Each of the top 5 are essentially dipping into a different damage bucket which is good. The average player knows nothing about damage buckets and something like this helps players aim for something and seeing number on screen(if they play with them) to get bigger.

Honestly it's probably as close to optimal itemization as you can get with 5/6 being the same bucket and being interchangeable.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wait max stash tabs is 4? That's barely enough for a single class. Am I missing something? Aspects need to not be individual items if that's all the stash space you get. A lot of this loot design stuff just seems half baked.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I hope whoever came up with the nightmare affix "ranged attacks burn 16% of your primary resource" gets a big, big raise during the next round of salary negotiatons.

That's some out-of-the-box thinking that needs to be recognized and rewarded.
Just clump some ranged mobs together, or - better yet - spread them out nicely, maybe even give them mobility and fast projectiles and you got yourself a winner in the fun department.

I try my best to burn those sigils immediately, but when I miss one and realize what it is halfway through the run, it always puts a smile on my face and I think to myself "drat, that's good game design!"

Edit: Welp, green archers out of a cursed shrine. End of run.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 18, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zotix posted:

It's not wrong. Each of the top 5 are essentially dipping into a different damage bucket which is good. The average player knows nothing about damage buckets and something like this helps players aim for something and seeing number on screen(if they play with them) to get bigger.

Honestly it's probably as close to optimal itemization as you can get with 5/6 being the same bucket and being interchangeable.

yeah i was laughing cos its the same as what i said

mcbexx posted:

I hope whoever came up with the nightmare affix "ranged attacks burn 16% of your primary resource" gets a big, big raise during the next round of salary negotiatons.

Just clump some ranged mobs together, or - better yet - spread them out nicely, maybe even give them mobility and fast projectiles and you got yourself a winner in the fun department.

I try my best to burn those sigils immediately, but when I miss one and realize what it is halfway through the run, it always puts a smile on my face and I think to myself "drat, that's good game design!"

lol ive started rigourously double checking after i used two back to back "all elites are cold enchanted" sigils without looking

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

bamhand posted:

Wait max stash tabs is 4? That's barely enough for a single class. Am I missing something? Aspects need to not be individual items if that's all the stash space you get. A lot of this loot design stuff just seems half baked.

yeah whoever said that aspects should just go to the codex when they're extracted and be single use entries in there was right. having a separate inventory tabs for them but making them take up stash space is stupid

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

mcbexx posted:

I try my best to burn those sigils immediately, but when I miss one and realized what it is halfway through the run, it always puts a smile on my face and I think to myself "drat, that's good game design!"

Yep it's the absolute worst loving thing. It's an affix which means you cannot play your class, brilliant.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah after leveling two characters to 60 it feels like a game that's been released early. I'm mad at myself for believing the reviews. I like the direction they're taking it, but it's so loving tedious right now.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Char posted:

I'll offer a different answe than anyone else: the problem with the necro is its jankyness.

-bone spear needs some setup otherwise you'll fire 4 spears and go out of mana, and builders either hit for 10x less than bone spear or...
-...corpse explosion covers with a black mist everything;
-minions are functional but have a bad overall feel due to a lack of control and being totally reliant on autopathing and autotargeting which has never been usable in this kind of games;
-you need corpses to start up anything, you're forced to fit a corpse generator in the build;
-this is personal but corpses add visual clutter

ymmv.

I think most high level Bone Necros have moved away from corpse consumption completely, myself included. The only method I have to generate corpses is the passive chance to spawn them, but Bone Spear does a good job of making corpses on its own. I have a generator in my build but I rarely use it, its definitely not needed until high level nightmare dungeons if you have Umbral Aspect, which seems to be pretty rare. You can codex it, but its way worse. That being said, I was spamming corpse explosion for a very long time before dropping it, and a lot of that time was before Fueled by Death got nerfed. The biggest problem I am seeing in high level dungeons is I just can't survive. I grabbed every defensive node on my paragon boards and was using some defensive glyphs and still getting 1-shot at 70+. I am now trying to re-do my setup to go back to being high damage because I think my only option at my gear level is to offscreen mobs before they kill me.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Stop trying to save everything, just keep 1-2 good rolls of an aspect of it's a good one and call it quits

You don't really need to have a full set of aspects for every possible build. You'll get those when you play that new character.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Kaysette posted:

it's only 40ish gb without the high res textures if you have the choice, not sure how all platforms work

Maybe they patched this, but be aware that a few of us were getting really bad freezes on menu screens until we installed the high res textures, even if you aren’t actually using them.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Are we at the hype cycle phase of wishing the game was diablo 3, a game we all hated 3 weeks ago?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

soscannonballs posted:

Umbral Aspect, which seems to be pretty rare.

ive not seen it drop still, its crazy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vic posted:

Yeah after leveling two characters to 60 it feels like a game that's been released early. I'm mad at myself for believing the reviews. I like the direction they're taking it, but it's so loving tedious right now.

Yeah, now that the honeymoon period has ended, its obvious Diablo IV is actually not that good at all. The end game is pretty terrible. Hoping the season 1 release will bring a ton of improvements, but if it doesnt then its a dead on arrival season and that won't be good for the longevity of this game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Dpulex posted:

Are we at the hype cycle phase of wishing the game was diablo 3, a game we all hated 3 weeks ago?

They announced some rough timelines like expected QoL features for Season 2 so anyone not in this game for the long haul and some campaign fun, pushing the end game loop until they're tired, trying every class out and giving Season 1 a shot, so you know, three digits in playtime easy, possibly per character... yeah, you can start bitching any time now.

Game will really kick rear end when the first expac hits!

Edit: ^ lmao I didn't even finish my drat post

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, now that the honeymoon period has ended, its obvious Diablo IV is actually not that good at all. The end game is pretty terrible. Hoping the season 1 release will bring a ton of improvements, but if it doesnt then its a dead on arrival season and that won't be good for the longevity of this game.

lol have you been lurking waiting for a negative post or something. u need a better hobby man

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Stux posted:

ive not seen it drop still, its crazy

I am 96 and have seen it drop 3 times, with one of those drops being a minimum roll. Could be bugged like some loot is for other classes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dpulex posted:

Nah, thank gently caress this isn't Diablo III. Its still better than that game by a wide margin, but that doesn't make D4 that good either. Much of its design, now that we are a few weeks in, have started to show that it wasn't that well thought out or tested like at all.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

yeah whoever said that aspects should just go to the codex when they're extracted and be single use entries in there was right. having a separate inventory tabs for them but making them take up stash space is stupid

Plus the fact that the inventory interface and lack of search makes aspects absolutely rear end to look through. They don't even organize in any sort of sense as far as I can see. I had three aspects that granted "Critical Hits with Core Skills grant +x increased Attack Speed". All three have different numbers, but the sort function does not place them next to each other - it's not sorting by alphabetical or by ilvl or by anything I can understand (apart from sorting them into general categories).

Making aspects all the same few icons along with the lack of a search function sucks balls.

Edit: adding to my list of personal pet peeves - how the gently caress is there not a list of completed sidequests? My dumb monkey brain wants to complete the renown and make all the categories green but getting the last sidequest in an area can be a nightmare, since there are a bunch that are triggered by random drops in the overworld and if you don't remember which ones you've finished, good luck trying to farm it.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 18, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

Game will really kick rear end when the first expac hits!

Yeah that's every Diablo game for the last 20 years.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Gone Fashing posted:

im hopeful they'll redesign it like that based on their upcoming gem change, but we'll see. might be a while

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

I said come in! posted:

diablo 4 is a game for chudsas and if you enjoy thsi game you voted for donald trump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

i disagree with this post and every identical post you've made in this thread. i can only imagine how quickly you suck the air out of a room in person with how naturally misery emanates from your core. eat poo poo

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Rly having fun now at 61. Game is good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The game does have an overworld issue tho . Why is it so big. You just horse through 99% of it

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah it seems like the only difficulty knob Blizzard has is how many effects one shot you. Or if they get really creative, CC you so that you are guaranteed to die. I can facetank the Butcher but a regular ghost archer can kill me in one hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gully Foyle posted:

Plus the fact that the inventory interface and lack of search makes aspects absolutely rear end to look through. They don't even organize in any sort of sense as far as I can see. I had three aspects that granted "Critical Hits with Core Skills grant +x increased Attack Speed". All three have different numbers, but the sort function does not place them next to each other - it's not sorting by alphabetical or by ilvl or by anything I can understand (apart from sorting them into general categories).

Making aspects all the same few icons along with the lack of a search function sucks balls.

Edit: adding to my list of personal pet peeves - how the gently caress is there not a list of completed sidequests? My dumb monkey brain wants to complete the renown and make all the categories green but getting the last sidequest in an area can be a nightmare, since there are a bunch that are triggered by random drops in the overworld and if you don't remember which ones you've finished, good luck trying to farm it.

I also think the background icon color for rare, legendary and unique are all too close to the same shade, especially now that I'm seeing the sacred overlay now.