Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
drat I'm glad my Nier Automata copy played great. All the SHMUP stuff worked flawlessly in my playthrough and the set pieces combined with the music were wonderful.

I agree that the gameplay was extremely shallow but at least it had a lot of breadth in weapon selection and junk so it had aesthetic variety down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rascyc posted:

drat I'm glad my Nier Automata copy played great. All the SHMUP stuff worked flawlessly in my playthrough and the set pieces combined with the music were wonderful.

I agree that the gameplay was extremely shallow but at least it had a lot of breadth in weapon selection and junk so it had aesthetic variety down.

Drakengard 3 is the game with the weirdly inconsistent frame rate.

I think I'm 5 or 6 levels into Soul Nomad's Demon Path and I'm both surprised to see that so many more characters are actually playable but also how everyone's falling apart the longer we leave Gig in charge. Cuthbert being a healing character is the most surprising thing so far. Shauna feels like the most 'scorpion on the frog's back' character I've ever seen.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the last remaster of Xeno 1, did they change it so that Shulk and Melia weren't the only party members worth playing? Shulk's got a weapon that can kill gods but it's as much use as a marzipan dildo when its owner is under AI control.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the last remaster of Xeno 1, did they change it so that Shulk and Melia weren't the only party members worth playing? Shulk's got a weapon that can kill gods but it's as much use as a marzipan dildo when its owner is under AI control.

they did not do any real rebalance to combat and stuff in definitive. so sharla's still useless and the game still kind of assumes you're playing shulk

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Honestly, I like it when action gameplay is shallow, as long as it's smooth. Fewer buttons and less reason to care about the difference between similar buttons makes it a more casual experience.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In that case what are the best games that crib from Ys?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Honestly, I like it when action gameplay is shallow, as long as it's smooth. Fewer buttons and less reason to care about the difference between similar buttons makes it a more casual experience.

i think it's fine to cater to a broad audience with an action game with a hefty story like nier: automata, but the issue for people who prefer more substantial gameplay is that your only option is a mode that runs on donkey kong country rules and ends up being far more tedious than fun

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Witcher 3 is a game that last 100 hours, but only has the combat variety to sustain a 50 hour title.

Meanwhile I beat DMCV once and only grasped ten percent of what's going on. What is parrying for? And how am I supposed to rev my sword like a gunblade?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 18, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I can only think of Lagoon

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Based on a quick google-skim, some people think that Scarlet Nexus, Sword and Fairy 7, some recent Tales games, Shining Resonance Refrain, Trials of Mana, and Ni No Kuni 2 have a lot of similar energy to modern Ys games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/vgfxng/games_with_bump_combat_or_ys_oath6origintype/
This thread had a callout to Touhou Scarlet Curiosity, which I have in my library and have heard good things about, but have not personally played.

Let's see... I will personally recommend this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/427700/Zwei_The_Ilvard_Insurrection/
Did not finish, but the characters were likeable, the combat was enjoyable, and the weird goofy progression system was a lot of fun. I might go back to Zwei: Ilvard next time I have enough vacation to dig into the Falcom back catalog once again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Refunded Ni No Kuni 2 an hour in. That combat's like Ys, if Adol was on morphine and trodding around like he just shat himself.

Will try Zwei.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just picked up ASTLIBRA, and it's telling me that there's a lengthy cutscene at the beginning.

How long is lengthy? Like, MGS4 long?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

I just picked up ASTLIBRA, and it's telling me that there's a lengthy cutscene at the beginning.

About a half hour or so? It's basically just the setup for the game though so it's probably worth watching.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Torgal

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

More games should have cutscene length warnings

I feel like Judgment and YLAD had those but I could be misremembering

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Annath posted:

20 minutes with a youtuber commenting on every line, so less if you aren't doing that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beat final fantasy 8. this game doesn't deserve half the poo poo it gets. really fun, weird and unique game that was as goofy and sweet as it was ambitious and surreal. lots of really fun sequences i'll never forget and probably one of my favorite ff casts just for how relatively low key they are and how much of the game is based around their casual interactions with each other. i dont, like the gameplay, but it has that ff2 quality where i can admire it as a weird one-off that could probably get way more polish and expansion if another game lifted its ideas and contained to its one mainline game, i'm glad they took a stab at something so different just to go along with how much of ff8 feels like it wants to boldly create its own weird identity. can get why it's not for everyone and i had my own complaints with certain aspects of its design, but like, on the whole? very glad this game exists, final fantasy is a better series for being able to produce stuff like ff8, it's as valuable as 7 and 9.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hell yeah glad you enjoyed it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't like FF9 that much tbh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Clarste posted:

I don't like FF9 that much tbh.

???????????????????????????????????????

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ff9 is a game i respect but i can't see myself ever playing again which means it's probably tied with ff3 in my mind

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Here's an Ys-like slated for next year:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2393920/Angeline_Era/
https://www.rpgsite.net/news/14351-ys-inspired-3d-action-rpg-angeline-era-announced-for-pc

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The PR remake of FF3 is excellent and easily one of the best 2D games. Quick pacing, save-anywhere, no Job penalties, and a staggering soundtrack.

It kills the Crystal Tower meme stone dead and it only 30 years to get there.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm probably a casual and a failure, but I wish the PR of FF1 had the Magic system (and bonus content) from the GBA version.

Actually the bonus content from all the GBA versions would be nice.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FF VIII is a game I keep meaning to revisit. I've played it to completion twice before and kind of hated it both times, but the first time I was a dumb kid who couldn't figure out the Junctioning system at all and just grinded to push my way through the game, completely unaware there's level scaling to discourage that and then the second time I was a teenager with vastly different tastes, viewing the eccentricities of the game like the Galbadian hockey team comprised of monsters as flaws instead of comedy.

One day, surely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one thing i find funny is like, how caught up people get in trying to make sense of time compression as a concept. because i think as presented it's pretty obvious why the game never feels a need to explain it. it's there for the same reason as laguna and the orphanage, viewed logically they're weird and inexplicable. but like. ff8 isn't going for something logical, it's a story about memories, anxiety and loneliness, it's about the fear of losing the memories and relationships you've made. the same way laguna's ridiculous outgoing exploits mirror squall's attitude towards others, the way the orphanage more explicitly builds the idea of memories fading and resurfacing and how they influence peoples' relationships with each other even after their memory of past times has gone away, the time compression is like a mirror to squall's own anxious bubble he's put himself in at the start, squall is afraid of creating new memories because some day he might lose them, ultimecia wants to compress all of time down into something small and manageable so that the possibility of time passing, of memories fading, will no longer exist. it's a purely weird thematic thing in a way i like

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at least around here, most of the complaints about time compression are more with its execution than its concept. "the same world map but with forcefields around everything" isn't really an impressive way of visualizing it, and the game doesn't do so until ultimecia's very last form where she's literally sucking up all of time and space into herself

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can give that a pass because ff8 is already four loving discs big, they were clearly pushing things pretty hard in terms of scale

i also just didnt really bother with the world map in disc 4 i went straight into the castle lol. i found the fight before the castle cool too though, that played into it pretty hard visually with you warping across all the locations you'd been to and seeing them melting down

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 19, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the whole visual right after you enter the time compression and you're just in a tiny room with one save icon, and then you step on it and like 12 more save icons appear right in front of it lagging the game, was really funny

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
in terms of fundamental game design, FFIX is one of the worst mainline entries if not the worst

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Am disappointed this is not using bump combat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Am disappointed this is not using bump combat.

it... it is... that's the selling point...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It looked like he was just slashing as would be in any action rpg. How can I determine something as bump if it is not expressed through running diagonally at enemies until they explode?

Anyway, i'm going to get it then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
well apparently i am a bump combat expert because i could tell B)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

in terms of fundamental game design, FFIX is one of the worst mainline entries if not the worst

wot the

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love FF9 but it has a lot of weird core problems. The combat is exceptionally slow, there's a relatively weird power balance, the main character's unique gimmick is stealing which in the game amounts to just delaying fights over and over (and even if you don't need to, him being a thief and the game lightly tutorializing thievery encourages people to do it), and the game gives you two separate White Mage/Summoners which leads to weird overlap not present in the rest of the cast.

That said "worst designed" would be a bit much. It has problems but they're not really something that you notice if you're just playing for the story. FF4 and 6 both have way more significant design problems than it does though in FF6's case it just is that the game is so absurdly easy and unbalanced that it barely matters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like the combat being slow is more due to the ps1 not being able to handle it rather than a core design element.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like the combat being slow is more due to the ps1 not being able to handle it rather than a core design element.

I think more about how it is designed outside of that. The game does a lot of little things to encourage you to act slower. The aforementioned thievery is a good example, but the combat is designed with a much slower overall pacing than even the SNES games.

It's basically a nonissue if you're playing with 3x speed up and poo poo mind you, but it has pretty much the least 'punchy' combat in the series outside of FF12. (Which would be my choice for the worst core designed game mind you. It was the only one where they had to basically tear out and rebuild the leveling system from scratch *multiple times.*)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I'd take FFIX's design over 12 and 13's personally. And frankly while 8 is underrated, it's also got a lot of questionable design choices.

Not that there's a FF game that doesn't have a few weird choices at least anyways but it seems a bit unfair to say FFIX is the worst.