Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Not a game per se but I've started to use my Series S a bit more lately and the way that Quick Resume never works right is bringing the whole experience down. For starters, if you try to quick resume a Gamepass game before you're connected to Live it forces you to close the game. This took me a while to figure out because the error message actually says that the save data has changed, like I played on my PC between sessions. Couldn't A) the message be useful, like "connect to live to validate your license" and B) the game just wait and resume instead of forcing you to quit?

It also works really oddly with Dark Souls. I used to have a PS5 so I know that just suspending the game as you play and trying to resume will kick you back to the title screen because it loses connection to the servers, but on Series S it then fails to reconnect until I close and restart the game (if I don't it gets stuck in some kind of loop trying to connect). Even if I quit to the menu before suspending the game it won't reconnect if I try to Quick Resume, so now every time I play Dark Souls and stop I have to manually close the game.

It also arbitrarily doesn't work with a bunch of 360 games. Which is fine; the games predate Quick Resume by a decade, I'm just not sure I understand why some work and some don't. Plus, on Playstation, you could resume literally any game, even PS1/PS2 classics.

It's not a huge deal but for something that's supposed to be convenient it fails pretty spectacularly. Though to be fair I think I just happen to only play games that don't work well with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CordlessPen posted:

It also works really oddly with Dark Souls. I used to have a PS5 so I know that just suspending the game as you play and trying to resume will kick you back to the title screen because it loses connection to the servers,

Is that what was happening with Elden Ring? drat, that was annoying. The one game I couldn't get Rest Mode to work with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's always so annoying, I remember having that issue when I played Fall Guys for a while on playstation. Even Nintendo is better about getting you reconnected when you come back, and I'm not sure they even completely understand the concept of online gaming!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I played the Final Fantasy XVI demo and something I'm not sure about is how the dialogue is very swear-y.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

I played the Final Fantasy XVI demo and something I'm not sure about is how the dialogue is very swear-y.

My main problem with it so far is the lack of control customization like come onnnnn. 2023 and we're still doing action games that don't allow any rebinding. None of the combat experts on that team thought maybe someone would want to swap R1 Dodge for Circle Dash?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Forgive Me Father has two upgrade paths for most of your weapons, either making them a better but still normal gun or turning them into weird science/Lovecraftian monstrosities with strange properties.

In all cases, the normal-but-strong version is the far better option. For example, the machine gun can become either a Tommy gun or a super laser. The Tommy gun is much stronger, has a larger ammo pool, and ammo drops are far more frequent. The laser...is slightly more accurate over longer distances. Why bother, it's embarrassing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im pleasantly surprised by how fun diablo 4 is and im sure a lot of things will be improved upon but one thing i cannot wrap my mind around is how they thought having a tetris inventory system with very limited space would be a good idea in a game in 2023 released on multiple consoles

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I feel like Diablo fans would riot if you took away the tetris inventory.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Is it Tetris inventory if everything is a single slot? That’s just… an inventory.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tetris Attack inventory

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bussamove posted:

Is it Tetris inventory if everything is a single slot? That’s just… an inventory.

not everything is the same size and the grid format is just an extra layer of unnecessary complexity on top of that even if they were. the annoying thing is the d3 console release fixed it perfectly well and now we are back to this for some reason

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

not everything is the same size and the grid format is just an extra layer of unnecessary complexity on top of that even if they were. the annoying thing is the d3 console release fixed it perfectly well and now we are back to this for some reason

… Everything is the same size though? I mean I preferred the D3 inventory menu too but this is almost the same thing, just uglier.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

arent equipment two slots and gems 1 or did i just imagine that? either way its still tedious but if im wrong im dumb and still right

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

arent equipment two slots and gems 1 or did i just imagine that? either way its still tedious but if im wrong im dumb and still right

Everything is a single slot. But we can both be dumb and still right! :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Quite far into Axiom Verge, but at the annoying bit in most metroidvanias where you have some new tools, but also a large amount of stuff that's STILL out of reach and some places the game's not letting you backtrack to.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Bussamove posted:

Survival Tetris: The Nightmare

you are standing in a hole, blocks are falling slowly above you

> inventory

you have a L

> rotate

sorry i don’t know rotate

> put L

you died

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Diablo 4 doesn't even have 3D Tetris inventory it's 2023 people

Cyberpunk 2077 does a reasonable job of presenting me with dialogue options that pretty closely match what actually is said, but not always. Like for instance, when my buddy and another guy are in a tense situation, my options are either to tell him to sit down or to just wait to see what happens. Expecting the matter to settle, I opt not to respond, to which the protagonist shouts, "You're right! Let's waste'em!" and then we just murder everyone in the apartment.

Not responding does not mean "murder everyone" jfc

credburn has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Jun 19, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm reaching the end of Hollow Knight and after looking up what's been bonus content and what's been in the base game, I'm seeing a similar thing happening to the DLC content that I saw happen with Darkest Dungeon :psyduck:

(Blanket spoilers for Hollow Knight DLC here, nothing huge/revelatory but still)

The Grimm Troupe DLC has a great beginning. You activate a big flaming heart that summons what is clearly a devil-bug traveling circus. gently caress yeah, I'm down. You can also give some fragile (breaks when you die) charms to an NPC who will make them permanent for an obscene price (1 charm costs more than upgrading your primary weapon from level 1 to max level) and there's a charm that gives you a follower who shoots stuff. Love it! Great additions to the game.

The rest of it is doing fetch-quests that involve beating up the same mini-boss 8 times in arbitrarily placed rooms across the base game's map. Part of the way through you fight Grimm, who is a genuinely fun boss to fight, and the rhythm of the fight is frantic but enjoyable. You have to do some precise movements, but there are plenty of openings to sneak attacks in. It's good! Then when you do all the fetch quests, you fight the same boss but worse. Other boss fights in the game have had variants that were much harder, but still interesting! They get faster, they add a new attack/trick, but the core gameplay doesn't fundamentally change outside of demanding that you improve on the muscle memory from the first fight, with a few pattern mix-ups to keep you on your toes.

Grimm's variant fight is different because it takes the muscle memory from the first fight, and deliberately punishes it at every opportunity. Attacks will stop in their tracks and pull a 180 to home in on where you'd normally dodge to, or he'll be mostly-invulnerable or literally invulnerable during attacks you used to be able to punish with quick and precise platforming. The first fight was about you weaving in between his attacks to land your own, the refight is just playing boss jump-rope until Grimm uses the right attack pattern, while you're in the right positioning, with a tight window of time to land it. Miss? gently caress you, more jump-rope, try again.

It's the same problem that I have with the DLC's other addition, the Path of Pain. It's supposed to be an even-harder version of the game's already-hard optional platforming challenge, but it all feels way too punched up for people who've already played the game to death. To make matters worse, the game is demanding that you supply an extreme amount of precision in order to get through this bonus challenge, but the more I attempted it the more I can see how inconsistent the game's platforming is. I'd guess around 1/3rd the time I died in the Path of Pain, it was because the precision platforming parts of the game just failed/bugged out, like bouncing dead-center on top of a spike and getting bounced down-and-sideways instead of back up.

After all of that being disappointing, I tried out the other DLC called Godmaster. It set my hopes high by having a completely new area to enter (which looks gorgeous) and then immediately pulled the rug out from under me because it's boss refights and a boss rush, with the added twists of:
  • you deal less damage
  • you have less health
  • you can't heal as often
There are unique boss fights hidden in here, but the only way to get to them is by making it through a 20-30 minute boss rush. The first new boss fight was a classic Bell Gargoyles/Maneater situation, where you whittle down one boss's health bar only for a second nearly-identical boss to appear and they team up to kick your rear end. The new boss fights are legitimately interesting, but at this point I've just pretended the DLC doesn't exist. I'll probably use cheatengine or download a save that has the new bosses unlocked in the boss practice arena so I can give them a go without having to do half-hour boss rushes beforehand.

There's a few other goofy fights that are DLC, like refighting a dung beetle's harder variant, or a bonus fight against the romanticized/ideal version of another character, which are both pretty fun on their own. There's an optional bonus if you beat the latter fight ten times, which is just a little cosmetic statue, while that boss can now hit you for 6 heart pips at once. (The maximum is 9 regular/recoverable health, 16 heal-over-time health, or 22 non-recoverable health).

I can appreciate it when a game leans into the fact that people will replay it often, and master its systems, but there's a ton of this content that feels like it was designed by/for people who were so good at the game when it was released that they had to keep scaling up the difficulty for it to be enjoyable for these highly skilled players, and trying to play it as one coherent game in 2023 is rough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah the Hollow Knight just doubles down on all of my least-favourite parts of the base game. I assume they just couldn't do any level/exploration-based content.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
80% of Hollow Knight was one of the best Metroidvanias I’ve ever played, along with being a souls clone narratively that felt sincerely heartfelt with its storytelling/environments to be a love letter to the isolated vibe of Dark Souls where you wander through a broken world where all the cool poo poo already happened. The other 20% was…I’m not beating it, but the only thing that’s gated by the hard stuff is Radiance and the true ending.

Speaking of, kinda sucks poo poo that you have to beat Hollow Knight before Radiance rematches. It makes sense narratively, but just make a hidden flag in the game where he has 20% of his health after you beat him properly once.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it was pretty funny that you got so much practice against the knight while trying to fight the radiance that you could just effortlessly clown on him in under a minute after a while

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Diablo 4 doesn't even have 3D Tetris inventory it's 2023 people

Cyberpunk 2077 does a reasonable job of presenting me with dialogue options that pretty closely match what actually is said, but not always. Like for instance, when my buddy and another guy are in a tense situation, my options are either to tell him to sit down or to just wait to see what happens. Expecting the matter to settle, I opt not to respond, to which the protagonist shouts, "You're right! Let's waste'em!" and then we just murder everyone in the apartment.

Not responding does not mean "murder everyone" jfc
What a chump! You don't have anything to say in a conversation so you jump up and scream 'IT'S MURDER EVERYONE!'?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I soured on Hollow Knight because while free content is welcome, it skewed the endgame towards extremely hard superbosses and meme poo poo like the path of pain.

There is a 40 boss arena with no checkpoints that gates one of the ending cinematics. Less than 5% of players bothered with this Octopath 1 bullshit.

I'm not excited for Silksong if it continues this trend of this alienating endgame bollocks. Maybe if they add difficulty modifiers it could appeal to pretty much everybody.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I am begging ToTK to take a page out of Subnautica's book and let me pin one or two armor upgrade recipes. Hope you remembered to write down what you need for that armor upgrade, and how much!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Curse of the time period where everybody tried to shoehorn in Souls mechanics into every single indie game, mostly ones that didn't benefit from it in the slightest

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lunar Suite posted:

I am begging ToTK to take a page out of Subnautica's book and let me pin one or two armor upgrade recipes. Hope you remembered to write down what you need for that armor upgrade, and how much!
i just take use the screenshot button and look at them before heading to the fairy. same with what recipes the horse god wants me to cook up

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Jun 19, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I soured on Hollow Knight because while free content is welcome, it skewed the endgame towards extremely hard superbosses and meme poo poo like the path of pain.

There is a 40 boss arena with no checkpoints that gates one of the ending cinematics. Less than 5% of players bothered with this Octopath 1 bullshit.

I'm not excited for Silksong if it continues this trend of this alienating endgame bollocks. Maybe if they add difficulty modifiers it could appeal to pretty much everybody.

The gating is the real problem. If they just didn't put story behind the additional bullshit then it would just be optional extra bullshit that everybody who didn't like it could just ignore.

Personally I ran into a bug (one that was fixed relatively early, involving a gate not opening) that locked me out of the best ending and I'm honestly happy that I did because it sounds like I would not have enjoyed the challenges needed to achieve the best ending.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

But you run into tons of bugs and insects in that game?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Those aren't bugs, they're features.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I think it'll be better because it will be planned and implemented in one design through-line, instead of being added on as additional content after release. They've taken a long time to work on it, so as long as the development is just regular work (absent crunch) and not some kind of rocky/messy dramatic development hell, I would assume they're fine-tuning stuff rather than just adding Path of Pain 2.

TOTK spent another year cooking for the physics engine, I can see Silksong spending extra time in development to iron out all the wrinkles

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked the NG+ only bosses that were patched into Blasphemous, they weren’t trivial but they felt reasonable and doable by players who probably hadn’t played the game in the intervening months before that content was added. every time someone describes HK’s post release content it sounds completely dire. I don’t want to spend an hour on a boss fight in a metroidvania of all things.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Owl Inspector posted:

I liked the NG+ only bosses that were patched into Blasphemous, they weren’t trivial but they felt reasonable and doable by players who probably hadn’t played the game in the intervening months before that content was added. every time someone describes HK’s post release content it sounds completely dire. I don’t want to spend an hour on a boss fight in a metroidvania of all things.

There are a handful which are legitimately awesome. I would absolutely go fight Grimm, Hive Knight, the first pantheon final fight, the bonus fight in the admirer's home, etc. again because they are tuned perfectly. The base game refights against the regular bosses are probably in the "takes an hour" camp too, unless you look up a strategy or fully upgrade everything ahead of time, but I did most of them with just the level 3 nail and it was a lot of fun. The biggest difference there is the base game refights have no preamble or run-up, you just hop straight in, do about 10 seconds of platforming, and then you're back to the boss fight with full health and no re-gathering your Shade. That, and when you die on one of those fights you legit feel like it was because of a mistake, not bullshit. I can't say the same for some of these other challenges, especially if they have 30+ minutes of fighting beforehand.

I still have to so the final Arena fight from the base game, but twice now I've made it around ten minutes in and died because the game takes away the floor, and you can't heal while sticking to a wall. This also takes away how I deal with some projectiles, where I can press the heal button to raise a shield when there's not enough room to dash away. I feel like I just haven't spent enough time working on figuring out a better strategy, but it sorta falls into the same problem i had with the final room of the Path of Pain: by the time you get past all the stuff you've done enough times to have memorized, if you don't perfectly sight-read the stuff that comes immediately after it, you'll end up back at the beginning again.

I actually think the Path of Pain would be the perfect level of difficult if the last room replaced one set of spikes with a platform. Not one that you respawn on if you mess up the next jump, but one that you can just stand on to size up the very next jump, because it is such a bastard to try and jump headfirst into. As it is right now, you have to time a pogo jump off a disappearing and reappearing set of spikes while trying to gauge the timing on a moving saw blade, and you cant even see where it goes off the right side of the screen until you make a leap of faith.

It doesn't help that if you do make it through, you have to fall down a narrow spike pit (touch the wall, start over) and when you do make it through that, you fight two mini bosses at the same time, just for one last "gotcha!" moment.

bawk has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jun 19, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

then don’t. I never bothered with the 40-boss gauntlet but had a grand time with the others. the original final bosses might as well have been moving in slow motion by the time I was done with them

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Blasphemous kicked rear end but I don't think I ever beat it because I always seem to burn out right before final bosses. Maybe worth a replay before the sequel comes out

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

bawk posted:

There are a handful which are legitimately awesome. I would absolutely go fight Grimm, Hive Knight, the first pantheon final fight, the bonus fight in the admirer's home, etc. again because they are tuned perfectly. The base game refights against the regular bosses are probably in the "takes an hour" camp too, unless you look up a strategy or fully upgrade everything ahead of time, but I did most of them with just the level 3 nail and it was a lot of fun. The biggest difference there is the base game refights have no preamble or run-up, you just hop straight in, do about 10 seconds of platforming, and then you're back to the boss fight with full health and no re-gathering your Shade. That, and when you die on one of those fights you legit feel like it was because of a mistake, not bullshit. I can't say the same for some of these other challenges, especially if they have 30+ minutes of fighting beforehand.

I still have to so the final Arena fight from the base game, but twice now I've made it around ten minutes in and died because the game takes away the floor, and you can't heal while sticking to a wall. This also takes away how I deal with some projectiles, where I can press the heal button to raise a shield when there's not enough room to dash away. I feel like I just haven't spent enough time working on figuring out a better strategy, but it sorta falls into the same problem i had with the final room of the Path of Pain: by the time you get past all the stuff you've done enough times to have memorized, if you don't perfectly sight-read the stuff that comes immediately after it, you'll end up back at the beginning again.

I actually think the Path of Pain would be the perfect level of difficult if the last room replaced one set of spikes with a platform. Not one that you respawn on if you mess up the next jump, but one that you can just stand on to size up the very next jump, because it is such a bastard to try and jump headfirst into. As it is right now, you have to time a pogo jump off a disappearing and reappearing set of spikes while trying to gauge the timing on a moving saw blade, and you cant even see where it goes off the right side of the screen until you make a leap of faith.

It doesn't help that if you do make it through, you have to fall down a narrow spike pit (touch the wall, start over) and when you do make it through that, you fight two mini bosses at the same time, just for one last "gotcha!" moment.

For me, its that you can do all the platforming from any point without dying, since there's full health/energy recharges and hitting a spike only sets you back to the start of the segment.

That gotcha? It CAN really kill you, forcing you to start from the last actual checkpoint you hit. gently caress that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Bee posted:

For me, its that you can do all the platforming from any point without dying, since there's full health/energy recharges and hitting a spike only sets you back to the start of the segment.

That gotcha? It CAN really kill you, forcing you to start from the last actual checkpoint you hit. gently caress that.

Just to check, that's not "start at the last obstacle room", that's start over. It sends you back to the last bench you rested at, right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The amount of unskippable dialogue in Diablo 4 is ridiculous. I don't care about your sob story, just point me in the direction of demons to smash.

Really makes me miss Diablo 2 when NPCs were confined to the single city in beginning of the act with no escort missions with a grand total of 6 quests per act.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I had to look up where to go in Axiom Verge as I got totally lost because having to use the glitch beam to make the acid solid in that one room was kind of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1670920844837789698?t=pMC0QZxZjCXw_p1R6S1seg&s=19