Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
This has been in the works on and off for a while. Please feel free to provide me with some feedback:

OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163192
1st Update: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm hunting for an LP I genuinely cannot find.

A while back, we're talking at least some years, someone was LP'ing a Lord of the Rings game, either SNES or old PC, where the you started out as Bilbo and Sam at the start of Fellowship and then let loose to just do whatever. You could do the canon questline or wander halfway to the Gray Havens before looping back through some completely non-canonical route with a drunk dwarf, two elves, a spare ranger and several battle-hardened ponies in tow. There was also a Two Towers continuation. But for the life of me I can't find it. It was abandoned about a third of the way through Fellowship, as I recall it.

Any help? It's also not listed on the LP Master List.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This has been in the works on and off for a while. Please feel free to provide me with some feedback:

OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163192
1st Update: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163193

This looks pretty decent to me, I can't find anything to complain about, and I'm good at complaining.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Have posters contribute dumb embarrassing things you have to say every time you need a hint. Of course weed out the dumb and offensive suggestions.

PurpleXVI posted:

Every time you get stuck, you have to read another ten Homestuck updates. Your suffering will be legendary.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Every time you need a hint, you have to start the next video by narrarating a chapter of a thematically appropriate romance novel. Bonus points for MS Paint illustrations as well.

ChaosArgate posted:

Read a food or medical industry horror story whenever you're stuck. :v:

I feel like these could all be grouped into the same category of "Sharing myself reading something" which I guess would work to some degree. I would like if it was something that could be related to the game in question, but I genuinely cannot think of something that would be thematically in line with "Mutants in dystopian Russia." Like, if I were playing a Sonic game, I could read some awful fanfic or something. But it's an idea. My biggest concern is that I'd be leaving something "hanging" by picking some sort of story and not finishing that story due to only doing it as penance for using hints.

Leal posted:

Every time you ask for help you have to do a retsupurae on a DarkSydePhil video

I feel like there's nothing I'd really be able to offer in reaction videos like that, that haven't already been well-traveled and done far better by other people breaking down his gameplay and general behavior. Besides, I'm still not ruling out a collab with him if he ever come back to the neighborhood, so I don't wanna burn any bridges. :v:

Danaru posted:

Start with one push up for a hint, then double it every subsequent hint. You'll either get real buff or real clever

Something like this I feel just doesn't work without the visual, though. Like, I wouldn't just stop in the middle of the game to do a push-up next to my computer and come back, and it would just be an "honor system" sorta thing that I actually did them. I don't think that would really have much appeal to people watching the let's play.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Say something nice about another SA poster.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Do a spin the wheel with a number of people's suggestions. Don't just choose the easy ones though but don't add anything too difficult like composing an epic poem in iambic pentameter.

How good are your drawing skills? For every hint, you need to draw your interpretation of someone's username who's posted in the thread.

Something more direct with the audience would be nice too, to help encourage some more interaction/engagement. I feel like the suggested ideas though are not really things that would particularly work though. Like "saying something nice" is a very basic thing that doesn't put a lot of pressure on me to avoid hints, whereas "draw a thing" would be quite a bit of effort to put in. Something in the middle maybe, but I just don't know what.

But ultimately, I think I'm really leaning toward this concept.

EricFate posted:

Every time you need to look up an answer, you have to play 15 minutes worth of 'Gollum'.

Rappaport posted:

This, but buster duel a Megaman boss :hmmyes:

Explosionface posted:

Fifteen minutes of playing Deadly Towers for every answer looked up.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Isn't Bad Rats the canonical punishment game?

Not every use of a hint needs to have a direct result. They could add up, where if I reach a certain threshold, then I'm on the line to do some sort of "punishment game." So instead of playing X amount of Bad Game for every hint, it could be that if I use X amount of hints, then I've gotta play through Bad Game (or at least give it some real effort).

So my question is, are there any particularly awful point-and-click adventure games out there you'd recommend? Preferably, games that are voice-acted. Since I'm doing videos, I don't want a lot of "downtime" where I'm reading to myself, or reading every single bit of text aloud.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's not awful but Torin's Passage?

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm hunting for an LP I genuinely cannot find.

A while back, we're talking at least some years, someone was LP'ing a Lord of the Rings game, either SNES or old PC, where the you started out as Bilbo and Sam at the start of Fellowship and then let loose to just do whatever. You could do the canon questline or wander halfway to the Gray Havens before looping back through some completely non-canonical route with a drunk dwarf, two elves, a spare ranger and several battle-hardened ponies in tow. There was also a Two Towers continuation. But for the life of me I can't find it. It was abandoned about a third of the way through Fellowship, as I recall it.

Any help? It's also not listed on the LP Master List.

Looks like there were actually two of them?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486084
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529094

They're both on the master list, you just have to submit a search first so the Abandoned results don't get filtered out (and also they're listed under slightly different names, "Lord of the Rings, Vol.1" vs. "The Lord of the Rings")

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Ah, I didn't realize it auto-sorted abandoned results unless you specifically searched for them, I just went to "L" and looked for "Lord of the Rings!"

Composerguy's was the one I was thinking of. Still very sad that one got abandoned.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Every time you need a hint, ask the thread; you have to buy a forums upgrade/avatar/something for the person whose hint got you to the answer without spelling it out.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ZCKaiser posted:

Every time you need a hint, ask the thread; you have to buy a forums upgrade/avatar/something for the person whose hint got you to the answer without spelling it out.

Depending on how many hints are needed, that could add up. Maybe just put the name of everyone into a pool, and at the end of the LP, pick some random winners to get the upgrade/avatar/custom title...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It looks like any video that Skippy Granola had posted is dead on the LP Archive. I was trying to go back to rewatch an old one and found that pretty much all his stuff is delisted/removed from Youtube, and blipTV has been dead for a while.

The screenshot LPs and co-author stuff that was posted by someone else is still available, but I'm not sure it's useful to still have the Skippy only video let's plays listed anymore.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

felgs posted:

It looks like any video that Skippy Granola had posted is dead on the LP Archive. I was trying to go back to rewatch an old one and found that pretty much all his stuff is delisted/removed from Youtube, and blipTV has been dead for a while.

The screenshot LPs and co-author stuff that was posted by someone else is still available, but I'm not sure it's useful to still have the Skippy only video let's plays listed anymore.

They deleted their channel a while back for personal reasons. If I remember correctly I believe that Skippy tweeted something about it. Apparently someone had downloaded and has backed up all of the videos but I don't think that you'll see them any time soon.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 18, 2023

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
iirc he deleted everything on his channel nearly five years ago at this point. I don't think he's very online anymore. I used to spot him in all kinds of places but not anymore.
He very occasionally streams, though. Unfortunately, I usually miss his streams.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There are still a couple guest appearances of Skippy here and there, but yeah, the channel be gone.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
That really sucks, I enjoyed his stuff.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Rest in peace, Cheapy D. :sadwave:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Jamesman posted:

So my question is, are there any particularly awful point-and-click adventure games out there you'd recommend? Preferably, games that are voice-acted. Since I'm doing videos, I don't want a lot of "downtime" where I'm reading to myself, or reading every single bit of text aloud.

What was that Armorgames point and click flash game series? The one with the weird Christian theming to it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Breadmaster posted:

What was that Armorgames point and click flash game series? The one with the weird Christian theming to it.

-TRAPPED-, -PURSUIT-, and -ESCAPE-, featuring the Armor Gamsees

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

-TRAPPED-, -PURSUIT-, and -ESCAPE-, featuring the Armor Gamsees

I heard there was a 4th in the works but that was like I dunno 20 years ago, did that ever pan out?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

I heard there was a 4th in the works but that was like I dunno 20 years ago, did that ever pan out?

-VORAGO-

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal posted:

The voice actors might be a bit busy now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looking this up, it seems those wouldn't really work out so well since they are Flash games, and Flash emulation is still pretty unreliable.

I was looking at The Mystery of the Druids, but people told me that I should play that regardless because it's not actually bad. I was thinking maybe Limbo of the Lost would be a possibility.

Just feel free to pick the absolute, most painful point-and-click adventure game you can think of. It's not like I'll end up playing it anyway because I'm too good at games and won't receive the penalty. :secsmug:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Why would you need to emulate Flash? It's native PC software, you can just run it. If you want a good sandbox for it Flashpoint exists.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mega64 posted:

The voice actors might be a bit busy now.

I still can't believe 2B was a voice actor for godlimations' Trapped

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

looking forward to Gianni Matragrano winning an Oscar for Best Actor in ten years

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why would you need to emulate Flash? It's native PC software, you can just run it. If you want a good sandbox for it Flashpoint exists.

I'm just showing my ignorance here, then. I can look further into this, but I'm still not sure some Flash games would provide substantial enough content for what I'm looking for.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Saw a minor archive issue for Bobbin Threadbare's GalCiv 2 LP. His third opening post was edited out after the LP was ended, but it had some info about the sub-committees mentioned in the LP. It was a parliamentary style game so different SA posters were posing as legislators representing them. That post can be found on the Internet Archive, though.

Is there anyone who can correct this?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Is there anyone who can correct this?

I don't think anyone but Baldurk has access to the LPArchive, you should probably try to email them.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I already tried back in January. Guess they're not active anymore.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maximo Roboto posted:

I already tried back in January. Guess they're not active anymore.

Baldurk is still around, but he is very busy. He probably missed your email - try again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The thing is when you archive an LP, Baldurk makes very clear he normally doesn't allow any edits afterwards. I don't know if he makes any exceptions for clear errors like this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The thing is when you archive an LP, Baldurk makes very clear he normally doesn't allow any edits afterwards. I don't know if he makes any exceptions for clear errors like this.

He's open to editing existing updates with updated information if, say, real world circumstances surrounding things in a particular post change, or at least he used to be. I got him to update a couple of Archive entries of mine to reflect the fact that previously uncredited voice actors for certain roles in certain games were later uncovered, or that a tutorial I posted on how to get an old game working on modern PCs was suddenly redundant after that game was later published on GoG and Steam.

But adding an entire new update to an already existing LP seems like it'd be a no-go with him.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but when I asked about editing for changing some verbage, he wasn't willing to make the edit himself. But if I was willing to put in the work of completely recreating the update with the new text, including updating the table of contents to point at the new version, then he would update in that case.

So basically "get it right the first time" is the rule.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Considering that baldurk is doing this entirely on a volunteer basis, I don't think it's unreasonable that we make their life as easy as possible.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, if the post was edited out after the LP was completed, maybe the OP didn't want it archived for whatever reason? Is it fair to edit someone else's LP with something they presumably purposely removed from it?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is there another thread for sharing LP's you're currently enjoying and don't want others to sleep on?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034380

'cause this currently-running Elden Ring LP has a pretty great gimmick and I want to make sure no one who might enjoy it misses it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there another thread for sharing LP's you're currently enjoying and don't want others to sleep on?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034380

'cause this currently-running Elden Ring LP has a pretty great gimmick and I want to make sure no one who might enjoy it misses it.

The Req/Rec Thread

it is for both requests and recommendations

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the Marine Thread is now deployed in Let's Play, let's say hi and play collaborative art chess with them

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Gfycat is shutting down soon. It might be prudent for any LP that relied on it to back up and move the data.

Maki
Apr 29, 2020

After lurking for a while, I'm trying to get my feet wet with LPing. Here's the test post OP and first update:

OP
Update 1

I'd appreciate any and all feedback!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It looks good to me! The only thing I could suggest is, if the screen doesn't just hard-cut between locations, but actually animates some movement, maybe do the occasional .gif or .webp of that if it's interesting? It could spice things up a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maki
Apr 29, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

It looks good to me! The only thing I could suggest is, if the screen doesn't just hard-cut between locations, but actually animates some movement, maybe do the occasional .gif or .webp of that if it's interesting? It could spice things up a little.

That's a great idea, thanks for the feedback! When walking around, the images just crossfade, but things like the cabinet moving are actually animated, so throwing some gifs in there should provide more feeling for what the game is like.