Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

100 CEOs who are invariably stupid idiots and also decide how life goes for over 330 million people

that's the life you signed up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Metaverse had hype?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

100 CEOs who are invariably stupid idiots and also decide how life goes for over 330 million people

I have said before that musk actually is relatively a genius to this crowd

this isn’t praise. this is calibration

they all employ some real smart fuckers though

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
nfts and metaverse had astroturfed hype that normal people rightly ignored

generative ai is getting more uh "organic" hype because there are webtoys that normal people can easily make dumb poo poo with

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

Metaverse had hype?

they tried at least, i assume zuck was attempting to communicate excitement

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Homeless Friend posted:

what have been the successful nueral model uses? one goon who used it to copy code he was too incompetent to do, girlfriend ai, help students skip homework

alphafold2 has had a profound affect on biological science in the past 2 years. google's deepmind trounced a bunch of academics in a long-standing competition and it's now a standard in the field

it solved a problem i carred about using an approach i thought was dumb lol owned

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The entire Metaverse project was aimed at businesses. It was a workplace program for long distance meetings and WFH type stuff. And then the godsend of covid happened and it STILL failed.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The entire Metaverse project was aimed at businesses. It was a workplace program for long distance meetings and WFH type stuff. And then the godsend of covid happened and it STILL failed.

most efficient economic system of all time

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

the guy is such a god damned mutant

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

post COVID posted:

alphafold2 has had a profound affect on biological science in the past 2 years. google's deepmind trounced a bunch of academics in a long-standing competition and it's now a standard in the field

it solved a problem i carred about using an approach i thought was dumb lol owned

What was the problem?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SKULL.GIF posted:

Metaverse had hype?

so hyped nobody cared until it failed hilariously

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The thing that stands out about the metaverse is how incredibly half-assed everything was. Just the crappiest VR spaces that couldn't even stand up to Second Life. It's almost like everyone involved knew it was just flavor of the month bullshit and churned out something they hoped the bosses wouldn't look too hard at.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Akratic Method posted:

What was the problem?

taking a protein sequence (a string representing how a bunch of atoms are connected) and predicting a structure (the organization of those atoms in 3d space)

it uses decades of experimental protein structures and lots and lots of sequence data (easier to collect than structures) for training

according to a review i read from several years ago the largest sources of data are youtube > astrophysics > genomics (bc particle physics throws much of the data out at the acquisition stage before storage)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

super sweet best pal posted:

The thing that stands out about the metaverse is how incredibly half-assed everything was. Just the crappiest VR spaces that couldn't even stand up to Second Life. It's almost like everyone involved knew it was just flavor of the month bullshit and churned out something they hoped the bosses wouldn't look too hard at.
lol 6 billion dollars worth of half-assed

tbf i'd probably wager it was mostly workers/contractors just deciding gently caress it im gunna log 40-hrs for <1 hrs a week "wfh-ing" because no one gave a poo poo about it (rightfully) and fart around on mark fuckerbergs dime. i definitely would not have spent a minute actually working on it while claiming to work FT on it while actually just drunk playing games instead. facebook had what, 10k+ people working on it? the smart move for everyone was not to work on it at all.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/SlashdotMedia/status/1662248641338245124?t=Luz28URk-1sB6IeIPKmlqA&s=19

https://twitter.com/RedySeguridad/status/1670384500713586689?t=0xl7kHEqiV40CG8mLSPmfA&s=19

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/freenom

quote:

Details

Founders Joost Zuurbier

Freenom is a free domain provider bringing people online and helping countries develop their digital economy. It integrates free domains with the latest website building and hosting technologies and makes it easy for any business or individual to build websites and content.

Using the latest AnyCast Cloud technology, Freenom guarantees thestability and performance of all the domains it manages. And with strategic trusted security partners such as Twitter, Internet Identity, Kaspersky, and more than 40 others, it can deliver state of the art anti-abuse technology to keep free domains safe and secured for all internet users. It uses the funds to expand its top level domain management operations, to expand its AnyCast cloud network, and the development of commercial initiatives combining country level domains with local communities.
Freenom was founded in 2012 and is based in Amsterdam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Tokelau

quote:

Internet in Tokelau is provided by Teletok, the government-owned[1] communications corporation, and Taloha Inc., a private company formed by the Dutch Joost Zuurbier.[2]

In the year 2000,[3] Joost Zuurbier realised that as Tokelau held an ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code it was entitled to a domain name under ICANN regulations. He went to Tokelau and negotiated a deal under which his company would be able to act as the registrar for .tk domain names, in exchange for a licensing fee and the provision of free internet connectivity for the residents of the atolls.[4]

:thunk:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

StratGoatCom posted:

The AI thread in tradgames is one of the most cancerous on the site and is widely loathed by everyone who's not in it.

yeah i just took a look in there and that thread is god awful, people going 'lol the best thing about this is how i can get it to mimic my favorite artists'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Horizon Burning posted:

people going 'lol the best thing about this is how i can get it to mimic my favorite artists'
i dunno if you realize this but this is how 90% of the masses "normies" perceive it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Xaris posted:

i dunno if you realize this but this is how 90% of the masses "normies" perceive it.

no, i absolutely get that, but you kinda hope people who play roleplaying games (and maybe have some awareness of how poo poo the pay is etc) wouldn't be basically going 'ha ha! time to get one over those pesky artists' like idiot computer touchers. i've long believed that a lot of the ai stuff is driven by people with no artistic ability who would like to render art down to stats and prompts (like that one guy who did that terrible children's book about a girl and a robot with ai art and was basically gloating about how easy and simple it was)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Xaris posted:

Eh, not really. It's an extremely online bit of BS.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

StratGoatCom posted:

The AI thread in tradgames is one of the most cancerous on the site and is widely loathed by everyone who's not in it.

Lmao, it's a Rutibex thread

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I really enjoyed getting an llm to rip off Robert Howard directly.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it's pretty funny how every article about how ai is going to replace human artists uses an ai-generated illustration of a robot because that's the only kind of character design it can produce without the results looking like something out of a nightmare. i look forward to consuming only robot-based entertainment into the future

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I wonder if there is enough making GBS threads on LLMs content to sustain a whole thread

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Metaverse had hype?

yeah but it didn’t have a leg to stand on

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

webcams for christ posted:

do you already know what's factually true within the text corpus?

what paper is this stuff from? looks interesting

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah i just took a look in there and that thread is god awful, people going 'lol the best thing about this is how i can get it to mimic my favorite artists'

p sure that post was a joke dog.
but yes the thread sucks

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the survey's a lot less interesting once you notice it was published in Feb 22 and some of the numbers about hallucinations are cited from a paper in 2019

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shrike82 posted:

the survey's a lot less interesting once you notice it was published in Feb 22 and some of the numbers about hallucinations are cited from a paper in 2019

it's not like they've gotten any better at not doing it since then though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Buffer posted:

front line agents - talk to this bot instead of a human

they’re also good for things like automatic classification of data

but expensive

generative text of like TTRPG quality - it’s great at like Inspector General Obiwan Sherlock Cousteau stuff

Not sure about the frontline agents. For most of that poo poo you can just have people fill out a form pdf. But yeah, classification works. Are people mad at us and broadly why they are mad is something you can now figure out without having to read your mail. Still probably needs a local implementation to be really cost efficient, but that's helpful.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

what paper is this stuff from? looks interesting

Survey of Hallucination in Natural Language Generation

also of interest: Reducing Quantity Hallucinations in Abstractive Summarization

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

this is the ideal goon dresscode

I think it's missing a few key items.

Wouldn't want to go anywhere without my leather jacket and hard currency.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wait, no number today?

Looks like derail is back on the menu boys

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Jun 19, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

shrike82 posted:

sounds suspiciously like the deflections from Tesla stans who claim that all your criticisms of FSD aren't applicable anymore because they've since updated to version 11.3.69.420, which is of course light years better

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It predates LLMs if you didn't notice
The tell is mentioning abstractive (vs extractive) which is a distinction that hasn't mattered in years

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

wait, no number today?

Looks like derail is back on the menu boys

gdi I lost my draft before your edit.

I like to think this thread is a bit more materially inclined in analyses. The current pehonomen of "AI" hype already has quantifiable macroeconomic and geopolitical significance, and within these contexts is not a derail.

e:

shrike82 posted:

It predates LLMs if you didn't notice
The tell is mentioning abstractive (vs extractive) which is a distinction that hasn't mattered in years

that's fair

I've spend the past 45 minutes or so looking for journal articles that systemically evaluate the incidence of hallucinations in LLM extractive summarization, and haven't found anything concrete, just hedges that hallucinations are "limitations" that need to be solved

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 12:34 on Jun 19, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

TTRPGS are catnip for ideas guys who have 15 half built settings crafted from other media in their heads. So having something that can flesh out all that connective tissue between the Big Ideas, like sidequests, character art, fluff text for free is a siren song too strong to resist. Source: my embryonic post-apocalyptic three kingdoms mouse guard campaign

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Metaverse had hype?

arguably not as big as crypto or NFTs or LLMs, but there were definitely more than a few companies who "pivoted to VR"

Cpt_Obvious posted:

there were a number of problems with trying to get people in on VR stuff, not the least of which is making the hardware widespread, but even if you got past that nobody actually wants to virtually pretend they're at the office while the limitations of the interface mean everything is harder to do

like, if you need something done from home, you talk to the people you're collaborating with via Zoom, Teams, a phone, whatever, and then your Microsoft Excel is open on your computer while you're talking to them

literally anything else eats into your workflow and productivity

Mola Yam posted:

nfts and metaverse had astroturfed hype that normal people rightly ignored

generative ai is getting more uh "organic" hype because there are webtoys that normal people can easily make dumb poo poo with

yeah it's much easier to convince normies that there's something to AI when they can just open a browser and start using it (to some extent)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

arguably not as big as crypto or NFTs or LLMs, but there were definitely more than a few companies who "pivoted to VR"

Yeah I remember a lot of "obviously VR is the future, just look at all the money Meta is pumping into it." takes.

Which is extra funny because now everyone is doing the same thing with Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ceos think work is sitting around a conference table and talking to people