Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

One of the funniest things about characters seeming interchangeable in FF12 is the tiny differences they do have are ridiculous. Fran is supposed to be an archer. Her animation for using a bow is the slowest of any party member and she's better off with another weapon, because animations peed affects how fast they can attack.
this is true of basically every character's default weapon. it seems like a case where they gave character more elaborate animations to showcase their skill with the weapon and then didnt think about the gameplay implications whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wondering if i should play operation darkness this year, the srpg where everyone can use a variety of weapons but it's better to not have them use any of them cause it lets them move faster and run further so you just want to have them punch everything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not good that operation darkness' dev studio put out rereleases of their ps2 yuri vns this year that have translations rough enough they constantly stop to explain the meanings of kanji. but it extremely funny

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I've been playing some Epic Battle Fantasy 4 lately because I've been feeling kind of nostalgic for flash games and the actual gameplay of the game has been holding up pretty well. The writing can be extremely 2000's but sometimes, they get off a good joke or two.

I just figured out that there's been a beta on steam for 2 years now which has a fix for the weird memory leak that was causing a flash game of all things to chug like hell.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, I played the fifth game a year or two back and I thought it was darn solid, too.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

a while back i saw someone refer to the tidus laugh as yuna convincing tidus to laugh. i have spent all this time confounded at how hard someone could misread that sequence of events

It’s been a while, but isn’t this what happens? I mean, it’s a simple summary that doesn’t mention the context of “Tidus found out his dad is a death whale” but I thought the scene was “Yuna tells Tidus he should try putting on a happy facade, herself being someone who is very intimate with the idea of bottling up negative emotions to present a positive face as a martyr, Tidus let’s out his frustrations by doing the scream laugh” which isn’t that far off imho.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

a while back i saw someone refer to the tidus laugh as yuna convincing tidus to laugh. i have spent all this time confounded at how hard someone could misread that sequence of events

Please don't make fun of people without object permanence, they are very lost and scared every time their environment changes whenever they walk through a door

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yuna tells him to laugh but i always took it as tidus doing a goofy laugh on purpose. the scene ends with them laughing genuinely

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think 7's translation got in the way for me enjoying it fully. The characters shine through regardless but it only took me coming back to it so many years later with a different mindset to appreciate it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Neeksy posted:

I think 7's translation got in the way for me enjoying it fully. The characters shine through regardless but it only took me coming back to it so many years later with a different mindset to appreciate it.

This opinion are sick

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

yuna tells him to laugh but i always took it as tidus doing a goofy laugh on purpose. the scene ends with them laughing genuinely

Yeah I always thought the laugh was like that because Tidus was trying to ham it up and not because that's his actual normal laugh. It was a cute scene.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

ff7 has like, Two overarching story beats. its largely just vibes and character stuff and its great at that.

Even the scene where Aerith dies is only as powerful as it is because of the way it shows all your characters reacting to it afterward. It is not a story that relies on surprising the audience, in fact I'd say it only gets better the more familiar you are with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For a Square Enix game that doesn't go to space, it's surprising how good FF7 is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You totally go to space in FF7.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Pretty deep into a discussion about bad Final Fantasy and XV somehow hasn't come up yet.

It is the worst one though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Pretty deep into a discussion about bad Final Fantasy and XV somehow hasn't come up yet.

It is the worst one though

Look, I finished XV but Ive still never finished VI.

I did finish Awful Fantasy 3 for reasons that elude me, holy moly is that a cursed thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

For a Square Enix game that doesn't go to space, it's surprising how good FF7 is.

You blanked out the Huge Materia subplot and the conclusion to Cid's story?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

You totally go to space in FF7.

How? Do you mean Shinra shooting a rocket at Meteor or Supernova? I remember the Tiny Bronco, the Highwind, a car of some kind, the submarine and chocobo.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You blanked out the Huge Materia subplot and the conclusion to Cid's story?

Are you serious? Man, when I say 'go to space' I mean like 4 has you going to the moon. Why would anyone call shooting a missile the same thing as going somewhere yourself?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You should replay FF7 all over again you silly person! You goto space! It was awesome!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No you fly a rocket into space

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB6vl2ejqTw

here is the cutscene. so no you dont like goto the moon or anything, that would have been way cooler yes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, I remember now. I got it mixed up with the initial launch and thought they had to abandon the rocket on the second attempt when the main characters show up. You get the Huge materia from that after putting in the code or else it just sinks into the floor. Right, right, right.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

space amnesia

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish the moon part of FF4 was bigger but its whatever, still an awesome part of the game in what is already one of the best JRPGs of all time. It also paved the way as obvious inspiration for FF14 and what would introduce one of the best NPC races in the history of the franchise. The Loporrits.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's something cooler about a rocket launch and becoming the first people in space, rather than just hopping over to the moon because magic whales. I mean, I guess magic whales are cool too, but it's a very different vibe and not directly comparable, imo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clarste posted:

There's something cooler about a rocket launch and becoming the first people in space, rather than just hopping over to the moon because magic whales. I mean, I guess magic whales are cool too, but it's a very different vibe and not directly comparable, imo.

It's more a magic spaceship and in Japanese it's literally just called 魔導船 or "Magic Ship". Lunar Whale is an entirely English localization invention because it kinda looks like a whale I guess?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DQVI gives you a dead kids bed as your airship so, like, everything else seems better.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Colonel posted:

wondering if i should play operation darkness this year, the srpg where everyone can use a variety of weapons but it's better to not have them use any of them cause it lets them move faster and run further so you just want to have them punch everything

Is that the game where your healer is The Reanimator and you mostly fight Nazi Vampires with werewolves and somehow it completely fails to live up to how cool that sounds?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FF12 really needed more than anything else, at least writing wise, more party interactions and characterisation. Camp scenes, field or combat barks, skits, party members getting involved in dialogue with npcs.

Stuff to make it feel like a group actually doing a transcontinental adventure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is that the game where your healer is The Reanimator and you mostly fight Nazi Vampires with werewolves and somehow it completely fails to live up to how cool that sounds?

Yes.

Honestly its biggest problem is it has a camera Im comfortable calling actually bad.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Infinity Gaia posted:

In this regard it the most disappointing game in the history of videogames.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Man, the battle themes in the handheld SMT games are just generally So Good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHyf8fHloow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxTm9pVep7w

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 19, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man, I remember really disliking FF7 when it first came out but that's because it wasn't on a Nintendo system that I owned, wasn't medieval fantasy, and the spell names were all weird. What the gently caress's an esuna? Fira? No thanks, man.

Anyway in high school I played the PC version on a whim and quite enjoyed it. At some point later I played DDS and man that really challenged my preconceptions on what a turn-based RPG could be.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ff7's overworld graphics are abstract and really evocative of 2D sprites in their cute expressive animations and I appreciate them a lot for that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pretty sure Fira didn't come in until ff8 and it was still fire2 or whatever in ff7

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Morpheus posted:

Man, I remember really disliking FF7 when it first came out but that's because it wasn't on a Nintendo system that I owned, wasn't medieval fantasy, and the spell names were all weird. What the gently caress's an esuna? Fira? No thanks, man.

Anyway in high school I played the PC version on a whim and quite enjoyed it. At some point later I played DDS and man that really challenged my preconceptions on what a turn-based RPG could be.

Ff7 still had the old names with numbers.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played ff7 for the first time just a few years ago and loved its art style and story

also it's cool that ff9 doesn't let you choose when to trance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ff7 still had the old names with numbers.

My memory is failing me in my old age. But it still had Esuna, right?