Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

We just purchased a house, built in the 1950s and originally heated by a natural gas boiler. In 2020 a heat pump and ducts were installed for heat and A/C. The boiler hasn't been used since the new HVAC was installed. I'm wondering:

1) Is there any good reason to keep the boiler? I could see it being nice as a backup if something goes wrong with the HVAC but if it's just going to sit unused and unmaintained I figure it probably isn't really worth keeping around. It is currently in the utility/laundry room and it would be nice to reclaim that space.

2) is removing the boiler a reasonable project to attempt myself or would it be a bad idea instead of hiring someone to get it out of there? I assume the biggest things to keep in mind with removal would just be with making sure the gas lines are shut off and then capped off, and having to drain water from the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i am so in the weeds on this pipe saga

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

spf3million posted:

I'm sure everyone has already lost interest (I sure have) but this pipe is 42" below grade and still descending at an angle

More updates please and thank you

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm rooting for you spf3million

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Sweeper posted:

More updates please and thank you

I was kind of hoping for a live stream?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Verman posted:

I was kind of hoping for a live stream?

i believe a stream is the opposite of his goal

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The updates give me an excuse to take a break, trying to prevent heat stroke. Warms my heart that you all are as invested in this as I am.

I didn't expect to find bendy pipes

:thunk:

loving Gary!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
https://imgur.com/0wHkX0O

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Beautiful content

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I felt that "gently caress" in my bones

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Jato posted:

We just purchased a house, built in the 1950s and originally heated by a natural gas boiler. In 2020 a heat pump and ducts were installed for heat and A/C. The boiler hasn't been used since the new HVAC was installed. I'm wondering:

1) Is there any good reason to keep the boiler? I could see it being nice as a backup if something goes wrong with the HVAC but if it's just going to sit unused and unmaintained I figure it probably isn't really worth keeping around. It is currently in the utility/laundry room and it would be nice to reclaim that space.

2) is removing the boiler a reasonable project to attempt myself or would it be a bad idea instead of hiring someone to get it out of there? I assume the biggest things to keep in mind with removal would just be with making sure the gas lines are shut off and then capped off, and having to drain water from the system?

How big is the boiler?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

spf3million posted:

I'm sure everyone has already lost interest (I sure have) but this pipe is 42" below grade and still descending at an angle

Lol awesome

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

make sure you hit some shittily buried fiber drop next lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

loving Gary!

I love how my PO is now everyone's adopted PO.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

spf3million posted:

I’ve seen them at eight feet in some parts of Philadelphia

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

No way I want as many details and pictures as you're willing to provide, thanks

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

explain this like i'm simple, what am i looking at here

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Deviant posted:

spf3million has been digging trying to find the leak in their water line, thinks they found the source, turns the water back on at the meter, water is clearly flowing through the meter but not leaking at the spot where they are looking meaning they still have not found the source of the leak

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sirotan posted:

spf3million has been digging trying to find the leak in their water line, thinks they found the source, turns the water back on at the meter, water is clearly flowing through the meter but not leaking at the spot where they are looking meaning they still have not found the source of the leak

Also it looks like the water line has been repaired in that spot before

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Deviant posted:

It's a video of my soul leaving my body

skipdogg posted:

Also it looks like the water line has been repaired in that spot before
And it's impossible to tell from the photos but it's exactly below the spot the acoustic leak detectors identified.

Motronic posted:

I love how my PO is now everyone's adopted PO.
Conveniently my PPO's name was also Gary. He lived in this house for a long time and did lots of Gary things (e: such as burying an emergency pipe clamp instead of fixing it properly). I adopted the phrase from your thread though. It's so good.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 19, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

redreader posted:

Yeah. Not quite the same but for the love of God I can't find someone to pull weeds. Landscapers will pull weeds if they can also do a thousand dollars worth of other stuff. Some companies will apply roundup 5 times over the summer but they won't pull weeds. Lots of services will mow your lawn if you sign up for at least 8 lawn mowings but they're not going to pull weeds. The local kids who shovel snow will not pull weeds. Pulling weeds is definitely a diy kind of thing.

On that note, any weed pulling devices you all recommend? With some of them it's hard to get all of the roots.

My kingdom for a landscaper to clear the nutsedge that poked through the defenses under a 6’ run of river rocks in our side yard.

I’ll handle the 24’ run that lost out to crabgrass, that stuff is easy. Yank the middle and clear out a big circle.

Nutsedge needs 30 sprouts to cover the same area and breaks apart too easily to work through quickly.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

FIOS has two general types of setups:

The older setup requires two cables between inside and a sizable ONT box outside - power and Cat 6. They will run them pretty much wherever you want as long as access is easy, but generally won't spend the time to fish cable around behind walls.

The newer setup brings the fiber optic cable right into the house. Again they will be pretty flexible about routing but the fiber can't be bent tighter than a certain radius which might limit you.

If you don't have a chonky box outside already you'll probably get the second setup.

That's said here's two good news items for you: Firstly if the initial installation location proves to be annoying it is just a $99 service call to get it moved. Secondly if your condo is wired with coax you can use MOCA adapters to run a rock solid gigabit wired network over the coax, which might make placement easier.

My FIOS setup has the exterior box/ONT and the installer was willing to go down into the crawlspace to bring the cat6 up in a small utility space under the stairs and left an extra 20ft for me to mess with positioning the router. The already installed power adapter is in an annoying spot but I haven't had the time to get them to move it. I have another cat6 cable that I ran to an upstairs office and I power the downstairs router using Power over Ethernet via that connection. That way the router is on my main uninterruptible power supply and I can power cycle the router easily by simply unplugging the network cable upstairs.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I took a closer look today, is this box the chonky version?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

runawayturtles posted:

Thanks for all the helpful info. I took a closer look today, is this box the chonky version?

No, this is the chonky version:

Bonus windows screensaver gas pipe layout included.

Judging from the size and gradual bends of whatever is coming in I suspect that's just the fiber and the box is simply a cover for joining the outdoor fiber to the indoor fiber. Look around inside and see if there's a big Verizon-branded box in any closet, if not I bet they just ran the fiber to the door waiting for someone to order the service at which point they will run it the rest of the way. Your Gary never did that.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Benagain posted:

How big is the boiler?

I'd say a bit bigger than a standard laundry washer or dryer. It's also luckily in an easily accessible room on the ground floor with an exterior door, so I'd think with the help of a few friends and a dolly or similar we could move it ourselves. Also have access to a trailer we could haul it off in for disposal.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Protip: check that all o-rings are in place before installing a new water filter cartridge to avoid flooding out your fridge.

At least I was still standing right there when it's started pouring out the bottom of the door, so minimal cleanup

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

spf3million posted:

It's a video of my soul leaving my body

And it's impossible to tell from the photos but it's exactly below the spot the acoustic leak detectors identified.

Conveniently my PPO's name was also Gary. He lived in this house for a long time and did lots of Gary things (e: such as burying an emergency pipe clamp instead of fixing it properly). I adopted the phrase from your thread though. It's so good.

I have no helpful advice, but I am invested in your saga and wish you luck.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Is this normal? I'm starting to wonder if I'm the crazy person. No this wasn't the leak point either.

The leak seemed to tantalizingly close...

But I ran out of hole. Returned the cement saw yesterday gently caress.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You need to replace the whole main, At this rate there's probably a section repaired with a toilet paper tube and rubber bands.

Be sure to preserve the old one as a monument to Gary.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shifty Pony posted:

You need to replace the whole main, At this rate there's probably a section repaired with a toilet paper tube and rubber bands.

Be sure to preserve the old one as a monument to Gary.
Yeah that's the plan. I was hoping to get a clamp on it Saturday Sunday today to stop the bleeding while I do my due diligence on getting competing quotes.

What kind of pipe is this? Do they make PEX for buried lines?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm sorry for spamming this thread, I feel like you SAHoTs are the only one's who truly get me. SAHoTs is going to catch on trust me.

After spending more time on my sidewalk this weekend than I have cumulatively since moving in 2 years go, I am 100% sure the main line was laid under this new sidewalk. Judging by the weathering on said sidewalk, it does not look that old.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

spf3million posted:

Yeah that's the plan. I was hoping to get a clamp on it Saturday Sunday today to stop the bleeding while I do my due diligence on getting competing quotes.

Afaik all PEX is rated for burial, but if you're using the crimp ring style you'll probably want to get corrosion resistant rings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

It looks like polythylene or "well line" as it's called around here. It predates pex by a lot and is generally pretty solid and stable as long as it's not exposed to light and has been buried properly. It doesn't appear that yours was buried with crushed stone around it, which is okay as long as there aren't any other big/sharp rocks touching it during backfill. That's an impossibility where I live so we always drop 4-6" of crushed stone in the bottom of the trench, run the line, then drop more crushed stone on top to completely cover before backfilling.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

spf3million posted:

I had a new well drilled 18 months ago and the well drillers spec out a 200 psi well line.

I also feel your pain, like a week after we moved into our house I found the crawlspace flooded. I tunneled through the entire crawlspace, in freezing rear end water, to follow it through the block wall. Then I disassembled my front deck, continued digging, and finally hired an excavator, in April, who was able to bust out enough frost to dig down 8 feet so I could replace a galvanized pipe fitting that had blown off. The PO had added onto the house, and when regrading the top of the well casing was slightly below ground level as well as being just under the eaves. We went to extend it and found it was so corroded that there was concern about groundwater intrusion through pinholes. The, now dead, well driller who did it has a colorful reputation locally for doing things on the cheap.

Fast forward 6 months and I dumped about $10k on an entirely new well.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Hadlock posted:

Pro tip, if you double up patio string lights, they look like balls so you can tea bag your in laws

If those are close enough to touch they will probably all break in the next windstorm, patio string light bulbs seem to made with super thin glass (at-least mine are).

spf3million you're my hero, good luck with the rest of it and please keep those updates coming!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Want to see the leaky section mounted to a trophy display on a wall in the garage

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Yooper posted:

I had a new well drilled 18 months ago and the well drillers spec out a 200 psi well line.

I also feel your pain, like a week after we moved into our house I found the crawlspace flooded. I tunneled through the entire crawlspace, in freezing rear end water, to follow it through the block wall. Then I disassembled my front deck, continued digging, and finally hired an excavator, in April, who was able to bust out enough frost to dig down 8 feet so I could replace a galvanized pipe fitting that had blown off. The PO had added onto the house, and when regrading the top of the well casing was slightly below ground level as well as being just under the eaves. We went to extend it and found it was so corroded that there was concern about groundwater intrusion through pinholes. The, now dead, well driller who did it has a colorful reputation locally for doing things on the cheap.

Fast forward 6 months and I dumped about $10k on an entirely new well.
That looks... deep. And it sounds horrible from start to finish. At least I've managed to stay mostly dry.

Finally got some plumbers to call me back, the first outfit just left. They're going to price out the copper before sending me a quote. But they did hook me up literally with a way to bypass the leak and keep my water running in the house. Why didn't I think of that?!?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

raggedphoto posted:

If those are close enough to touch they will probably all break in the next windstorm, patio string light bulbs seem to made with super thin glass (at-least mine are).

These are the LED ones with the (probably) shatterproof plastic. They're coming down in a month or so and will have to order custom length ones because we're running a different configuration

spf3million posted:

since moving in 2 years go, I am 100% sure the main line was laid under this new sidewalk. Judging by the weathering on said sidewalk, it does not look that old.

That is some kind of quick set spray or something that goes on as the last step of pouring concrete in some areas. Looks pretty new yeah, they may have poured that a couple months before listing the house

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's a bypass for sure. These posts are amazing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This is the saga I needed to distract me from my work today.

Spf3million, you're doing the lord's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On the plus side, this means now you have an excuse to rent a 1 ton excavator :dance: