Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah i see the "roast him pepe" thing all the time

i'm using a blocktheblue extension and it's gotten to the point that i have to load tweets of non-insane people in incognito so that it doesn't accidentally block the non-insane blue checks in their replies. what a great website lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are no non-insane blue subs.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

just stop using it. get your Twitter friends and migrate to a discord or something. there's still probably a couple years before that goes to complete poo poo

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I went ahead and deactivated my account after not using it for weeks. Feels good to watch the trash fire from the sidelines.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sankis posted:

just stop using it. get your Twitter friends and migrate to a discord or something. there's still probably a couple years before that goes to complete poo poo

Other than them loving over bot devs, nft forays, them pushing nitro in your face constantly and removing the #-Number in your username on a rollout basis so that your name is just unavailable now cause someone got to it earlier?

Give it 12-24 months

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
What bugs me about the anti covid vaccine stuff is that they don't want the world to be better. If the vaccine is so dangerous then push for a better one, not none at all.

It's too bad the covid vaccine didn't end up as effective as say the measles vaccine since at least there would be a stark contrast between the people who had it and the people that refused it. But you can still get pretty sick from covid in spite of being fully vaxxed and boosted, and some antivax chud can get a very mild case of it with no chronic effects in spite of taking zero precautions. As long as there is that much variation it's always going to give these assholes ammo for their talking points.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Tesla stock has gone up a lot, so Musk is back to being the world's richest man.

As much as it is appealing to think that the interest payments on the loan would cause drama, the reality is that he has shown (and said) that the valuation, etc is irrelevant to him, that he needed to buy it to save civilisation.

I mean he might end up having to sell some TSLA stock to make payments, but *shrug*

Musk and Twitter 2.0 isn't going anywhere. It'll probably just keep getting worse.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im convinced he made a deal with china

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alan Smithee posted:

im convinced he made a deal with china

I feel like surely even the US MIC would hang him by his testicles for that if it were even close to true.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

it seems Twitter has given up on trying to serve fewer ads to subscribers and are now just doubling ads for everyone else

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elon’s really cranking up the heat to see how many rahowa calls to action and granny bra ads goons are willing to wade through to get a sports score

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Other than them loving over bot devs, nft forays, them pushing nitro in your face constantly and removing the #-Number in your username on a rollout basis so that your name is just unavailable now cause someone got to it earlier?

Give it 12-24 months

I can’t speak for the bot devs thing but those other three are the biggest “who cares” ever.

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Tiny Timbs posted:

Elon’s really cranking up the heat to see how many rahowa calls to action and granny bra ads goons are willing to wade through to get a sports score

It's funny because it's actually driving a lot of people back to 'legacy' media the thing he claims twitter is killing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pacerwpg posted:

It's funny because it's actually driving a lot of people back to 'legacy' media the thing he claims twitter is killing.

For real, I wouldn't be super surprised if we get a resurgence of 2000s-style special-purpose websites for people to do stuff like post their art or music, maybe even blogging again.

The modern ad landscape might make it impossible for the effort not to die on the vine, but it's maybe worth a try knowing what we know now

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Elman posted:

I went ahead and deactivated my account after not using it for weeks. Feels good to watch the trash fire from the sidelines.

Deleting the account has been the best idea, because sometimes when I go in to read some replies I feel the urge to reply to some frustrating poo poo. It's an urge like smoking, where you can tell yourself it's bad for your health but then just blindly do it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cyks posted:

I can’t speak for the bot devs thing but those other three are the biggest “who cares” ever.

People literally left Discord over the name thing and there's a replacement up and running that's open source.

People do care a lot about losing their established Username

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

People literally left Discord over the name thing and there's a replacement up and running that's open source.

cool

never heard of it

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Everyone in my circle was just like "oh that seems pointless" and just carried on because nobody even sees their username on the private servers we use.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Someone open sourced IRC? That's neat

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Panfilo posted:

What bugs me about the anti covid vaccine stuff is that they don't want the world to be better. If the vaccine is so dangerous then push for a better one, not none at all.

It's too bad the covid vaccine didn't end up as effective as say the measles vaccine since at least there would be a stark contrast between the people who had it and the people that refused it. But you can still get pretty sick from covid in spite of being fully vaxxed and boosted, and some antivax chud can get a very mild case of it with no chronic effects in spite of taking zero precautions. As long as there is that much variation it's always going to give these assholes ammo for their talking points.

They don’t care about any of that. It’s either:

1) you are a grifter/entertainer who makes money off scams/controversies and so you push this poo poo because it gets you clicks/money

and or

2) you are lazy/idiot but you know that deep down inside you are just such a smarty smart special boy. because you are a lazy moron you can’t actually be bothered to learn complex things, and you have a deep aversion to people who ARE able to comprehend complex topics or dedicate significant effort to these things. That aversion leads you to believe in bullshit that “prove” the establishment is incorrect. You want them to be incorrect because you loath them and so you are drawn to conspiracies that reinforce that.

Sometime people start at 1 and eventually go full koolaid drinking to step 2 (joe Rogan), but most people are just #2

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 19, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There are only bad decisions to make about social media because social media is a bad technology. Every change is going to be a bad change because to improve it makes it worse.

Something Awful was a happy accident. The changes stopping because the enhancements were coded by a buffoon and resisted change meanwhile the owner funneled all the money into opiates and cookies actually saved the site from making changes and turning somehow worse.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://twitter.com/LolOverruled/status/1670772627038765057

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zedprime posted:

Something Awful was a happy accident.
was it

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

So why are you on the Hitler website?

Really tired of seeing people complaining how bad Twitter is on Twitter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean what difference does complaining about twitter not on twitter actually make.

If it’s for traffic it’s more or less the same

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*shoves past this to tweet about anime*

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Gubbinal Girl posted:

So why are you on the Hitler website?

Really tired of seeing people complaining how bad Twitter is on Twitter.

How is leaving it going to make things better?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why do you want to use the hitler site?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

You won't contribute to Elmo's hitler revenue

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Durzel posted:

Really this doctor can't win, whatever happens. If he goes on the podcast, he'll be pilloried from start to finish, and every point that he rebuts, or attempts to, will be replaced with another equally specious. He won't be given the opportunity to actually do any reading, he'll be expected to make the call there and then. If he doesn't go on the podcast, the right can crow about how it proves everything they say is right. Why wouldn't a scientist want to debate their "facts"? How could anyone sit there and allow $1m+ in donations for children to pass by? What a sicko.

The doctor doesn’t owe them the dignity of accepting their challenge, but if he did, he could agree to an asynchronous written debate conducted over several weeks with the final correspondence published. He could rightly say that this would result in a more thorough, better sourced, and more considered debate, and the tables would be turned if Rogan were to decline it.

Feels more than gracious to agree to the concept with conditions on the form.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

everyone should be embed leeching twitter so you don't have to see ads

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Teratrain posted:

Everyone in my circle was just like "oh that seems pointless" and just carried on because nobody even sees their username on the private servers we use.

Discord arbitrarily hosed over a lot of people whose public-facing username does legitimately matter to them, like artists and streamers. Because now the "real" one could well be username123, or therealusername, etc, instead of username simply because they lost out on that lottery.

And they did it because a minority of users had trouble with the #0000 system. Literally their explanation was "40% of users we queried had trouble understanding it". Guess what's a bigger percentage than 40%, Discord?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Panfilo posted:

How is stopping going to the happy hour at the bar run by the white supremacist transphobe going to make things better? Then the bar will only have patrons who support the owner’s worldview. :ohdear:

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Discord arbitrarily hosed over a lot of people whose public-facing username does legitimately matter to them, like artists and streamers. Because now the "real" one could well be username123, or therealusername, etc, instead of username simply because they lost out on that lottery.

And they did it because a minority of users had trouble with the #0000 system. Literally their explanation was "40% of users we queried had trouble understanding it". Guess what's a bigger percentage than 40%, Discord?
Isn't this one of the reasons ircnet left efnet 30 years ago?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

every streamer i watch has a discord link that looks like

discord.gg/h56GfNhS

or some code like that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's for their personal/group server.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is not a description of anybody being hosed over

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

You won't contribute to Elmo's hitler revenue

Lol what revenue, nobody is advertising but trash scam companies so using Twitter is probably costing him more that he’s earning

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those are the easiest people to fleece for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
There are adverts on Twitter…for now

https://gizmodo.com/twitter-ads-disney-microsoft-nba-neo-nazi-videos-elon-1850549017