Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Are the new Cap Space rules the reason why the haul for Beal was so low, or was this the first time Beal was open to being traded and the Wiz jumped on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

KD really can't exist on a team unless it has at least 2 other all-star players in their prime.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CoolRanch posted:

Are the new Cap Space rules the reason why the haul for Beal was so low, or was this the first time Beal was open to being traded and the Wiz jumped on it?

Beal has a no trade clause. So he gets to decide where he goes. Even if it was an open market I don't think there would have been a huge bidding frenzy but once he decided he wanted to go to Phoenix then the choice was either take that deal or keep him.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

CoolRanch posted:

they have tried to trade him 2 to 3 hundred times before this and then always backed out until basically nobody wanted him anymore. also he had a no trade clause

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’m glad the Suns are taking a page from the Lakers’ playbook by bringing Vogel in and then giving him a big three of offensively oriented stars with no depth and forcing him to somehow coach this team not built to his strengths at all.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Lockback posted:

Beal has a no trade clause. So he gets to decide where he goes. Even if it was an open market I don't think there would have been a huge bidding frenzy but once he decided he wanted to go to Phoenix then the choice was either take that deal or keep him.

He also gets to effectively veto any package he doesn't like coming back, as mentioned earlier it's probably why Ayton wasn't involved

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

I’m glad the Suns are taking a page from the Lakers’ playbook by bringing Vogel in and then giving him a big three of offensively oriented stars with no depth and forcing him to somehow coach this team not built to his strengths at all.

Notably offensively oriented stars lebron james and anthony davis...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

NieR Occomata posted:

the idea is that vogel will have a competent defense with ayton anchoring the post and vogel teaching everyone else how to make his life easier

you know, the mold that every frank vogel team since the pacers has had

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

2023 phoenix sun denzel valentine

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CP3 should come to the Cavs and be second backup PG behind Rubio

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can Lou Williams unretire and play for the Suns?

Hell, and Melo

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Suns are weak at PG, and could use a true Alpha. Did Rondo officially retire?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fine I'll be starting PG for the Suns

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The Suns are weak at PG, and could use a true Alpha. Did Rondo officially retire?

1. I miss Rondo
2. Remember when people used to insult Ben Simmons by calling him Tall Rondo? That's a way better player than he's been for like three years

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The Beal no trade clause was laughed at immediately because it's not like he was saying no to a super max contract. But gently caress the next team to give that out is even dumber after seeing this play out.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The nba 2k23 story is I have no idea

I just had a scene where I was cut from the starters,and then a scene played right after where I'm back on the starters

I am extra level dog poo poo at this game

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The Beal no trade clause was laughed at immediately because it's not like he was saying no to a super max contract. But gently caress the next team to give that out is even dumber after seeing this play out.

Also it was apparent to everyone that they were going to want to trade Beal and that's the one thing you don't want to include.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

IcePhoenix posted:

Has there ever been a successful big three where one of the three didn't take a big step back as a scorer and contributed in other ways instead?

Steph/Klay/KD

I think Phoenix would be better served to spend for veteran depth to complement the extremely potent 1-2 punch with Book an KD, though. That's how Vogel won with the Lakers.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lockback posted:

also his contract is Not Great

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It was there, in plain sight, the whole time.

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1488741619985641476

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Deal Zone ultimately finds all of us.

It is inevitable.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Porfiriato posted:

It was there, in plain sight, the whole time.

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1488741619985641476

Lol

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to see how Jock Landale does as the Suns' starting centre :australia:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm also laughing pretty hard at people I have seen in other dumber corners of the internet talking about how great this trade is (seriously there's SO MANY IT'S WILD) using Chris Paul being injury prone as a justification when Bradley Beal has literally missed more time than each of the last three years than Chris Paul has. Granted some of that is the fact that Beal's stupid rear end got COVID I think three times, but still lol

Like, don't get it twisted. Conceptually getting rid of Chris Paul's contract is absolutely the right move, but how they did that was LITERALLY the stupidest thing they could have done. That NTC is by far the worst part.

Mat Ishbia seems kinda like a dumbass unless this somehow works in the most amazingly lucky way possible. That's what it's going to take. More of a miracle than staying pat would've taken.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think people are underestimating Beal, he’s been playing in the black hole of basketball that is the Wizards organization, no wonder he looks bad and everyone forgot what he’s capable of

The Nuggets had like multiple former Wizards get rings this year including Ish and KCP, and Rui immediately looked much better in LA. Beal has had nothing to play for the last few years because his team is a mess and literally no one could give him any more money, he’s going to look 3 years younger in Phoenix

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I think people are underestimating Beal, he’s been playing in the black hole of basketball that is the Wizards organization, no wonder he looks bad and everyone forgot what he’s capable of

The Nuggets had like multiple former Wizards get rings this year including Ish and KCP, and Rui immediately looked much better in LA. Beal has had nothing to play for the last few years because his team is a mess and literally no one could give him any more money, he’s going to look 3 years younger in Phoenix

I loving love Ish Smith with my whole heart but using him as an example here is spurious at best.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I feel like it's also not a good starting point to just assume Beal has been dogging it.

Like the moves have not been good and the results somehow worse, but the Wizards were ostensibly trying to build around Beal the last couple years in acquiring guys like Porzingis, Dinwiddie, Kuzma, etc.

His injuries have also been shoulder and wrist stuff, with surgeries in there.

They're gonna be a really weird looking team next year, and - to me at least - it's unclear if Beal fixes any of the issues they had.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Assuming someone will be better off the Wizards is how you get John Wall.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/themindofjdubb/status/1670607265374654468?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

More confident than ever Charlotte is keeping the pick

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Maybe New Orleans is changing their terrible team name

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What can you even trade Zion for at this point in time. Dude has barely played professional basketball and is due almost 200 million.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Paul Zuvella posted:

What can you even trade Zion for at this point in time. Dude has barely played professional basketball and is due almost 200 million.

A high lottery pick and some salary matching with ok players. Hornets could do it with Hayward + 2nd or something. His stats are awesome when he plays, like top 5 in league, and he's still young so he's worth a lot, honestly think a team should gamble on him

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brogeoisie posted:

A high lottery pick and some salary matching with ok players. Hornets could do it with Hayward + 2nd or something. His stats are awesome when he plays, like top 5 in league, and he's still young so he's worth a lot, honestly think a team should gamble on him

Sure, that seems fine and good but generally speaking when you don’t he’s power moves you want to be moved to a contender and not a team in basically the exact same situation your current team is in. Like if Zion is miserable in new Orleans is he really going to be happy in Charlotte?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Well Zion is from the Carolinas and is very close with his family so probably. I really really just want them to use the pick but it’s hard to deny the upside if Zion suddenly stops being constantly injured

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't think this is a "Move be to a better team" situation. New Orleans hasn't won because Zion hasn't played much.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Smeef posted:

Maybe New Orleans is changing their terrible team name

:mad:

Paul Zuvella posted:

A lot. His value around the league is still seen as an All-NBA player.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Brogeoisie posted:

No, the Pels already turned that down, lol. Scoot would be the starting point. They would want much, much more than that or they'll just keep him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sure, that seems fine and good but generally speaking when you don’t he’s power moves you want to be moved to a contender and not a team in basically the exact same situation your current team is in. Like if Zion is miserable in new Orleans is he really going to be happy in Charlotte?

Where are you getting he's miserable because he's in NOLA from? He seems to have been miserable because he can't get and stay healthy enough to play basketball.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Scoot being as good as Zion is like a 95th percentile outcome for him. The odds of any draft pick become a top 10 player in the league is tiny (well, maybe not Lebron or Wemby).

If Zion is genuinely available and it's not just smoke then at least one team is going to make the moves necessary to get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kibner posted:

:mad:

A lot. His value around the league is still seen as an All-NBA player.

I mean… sure. He can be an all nba player and teams can think he can be one again. That isn’t the end all be all for what his trade value is.