Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Open-back headphones can be more comfortable because they’re often lighter and let more air circulate around your ears. They can also be less bassy or “boomy” because they don’t have the solid resonating cabinet of a sealed back

Open-back headphones suffer from the disadvantage of letting in sound from your environment (or maybe that’s an advantage for you because you work somewhere where you need to hear poo poo in your vicinity or WFH/have pets or kids that you want to keep tabs on/etc.)

This also goes the other way—open back headphones will let the people around you hear what you’re listening to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Feature not bug

If anyone has the grapes to work near me they deserve an earful of the worst music ever recorded

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Auduze Support update:

My Maxwell order from February is still in limbo 3+ months later. I get responses to my ticket, but their logistics seems to be omega dogshit. This thread is now my therapy outlet :P.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

speaking of audeze, i decided to keep the maxwell that i posted about here a couple weeks ago and just deal with the main issue i've had by unplugging the usb receiver when i need a bluetooth connection to work

it's dumb as hell, but the headset sounds and works perfectly aside from bluetooth going silent and never working again without a power cycle if even a moment of audio comes out of the USB source. i hope they update the firmware at some point to let the user manually pick between bluetooth and USB, but even if they don't i can live with this workaround.

the only other issue i've noticed is that when it's in PC mode, the microphone cuts off the first couple seconds of audio any time i record myself speaking. i'm not sure if it's happening in discord calls -- i think it is, but only right at the beginning and then works fine for the rest of the call. moving the slider on the USB stick to Xbox mode fixes it, and it still works on my PC so i guess that's fine.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

eddiewalker posted:

Look at the DT770 vs the DT990

Almost the same form factor, same pads, same clamp, open vs closed

The pads are not in fact the same. DT770's pads isolate more and the DT990 sound absolute garbage with them.

source: I own both and accidentally put the dt770 pads on them, wondering why they sounded so muffled. Changing pads changed them dramatically.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread. I’m looking for some good, comfortable IEM earbuds, “comfortable” probably being the most important part. I used to love using the JVC Marshmallow Memory Foam wired earphones, and actually ordered a pair of the wireless ones to replace my last pair of wireless phones, but they kinda suck in terms of quality even if they feel really nice since there’s already audio problems after only a few months.

I’d rather not spend a huge amount (way over $100), but if there’s a pair out there that won’t need constant readjustment from workout ear sweat (I think that’s what was bothering my ears before after extended use) and are as good as foam on top of being long lasting and well regarded I guess I’d pay a pretty penny.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I was too vague on anything!

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Helter Skelter posted:

The R-70x is a reference headphone and as such is tuned to a relatively flat/neutral signature, similar to a HD600/HD650. If that's what you're after (as I was), they're great.

I should note that they're also 470 ohms and they really want an amp.

I can't speak for anything else from them.

I use the r-70x with a fiio bluetooth amp, the qudelix also works great. So light and light clamp force too, they want to fall off your head if you move too much. R70x headband over the top was a lot harder to bend into shape to alter the clamp like the other AD headphones, but what ever they did to the wing things was a big improvement.

Open back wireless headphones are achievable if you don’t mind a little wire between a receiver. I don’t wear them outside though

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for wired noise cancelling recs for a long flight.Prefer over the ear, but not against ear buds. I don't want to spend too much money since I'm definitely not going to wear them at home-I"m super happy with my koss porta pros and my koss pro 4aa, which also should give you an idea for what I like. Mostly just want decent quality that will let music sound/podcasts sound good and block out airplane noises and any possibly noisy kids. Ideally I'd like to spend $100 or less, but if theres a shockingly good pair or an outrageous deal for 150, I'd consider it.

Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm looking for wired noise cancelling recs for a long flight.Prefer over the ear, but not against ear buds. I don't want to spend too much money since I'm definitely not going to wear them at home-I"m super happy with my koss porta pros and my koss pro 4aa, which also should give you an idea for what I like. Mostly just want decent quality that will let music sound/podcasts sound good and block out airplane noises and any possibly noisy kids. Ideally I'd like to spend $100 or less, but if theres a shockingly good pair or an outrageous deal for 150, I'd consider it.

Thanks!

do they have to be wired? It’d be so easy to recommend a pair of Beats Studio Buds+ or similar and be done with it. Not much in the wired/over ear ANC space these days unless you can use the Bose QuietComforts wired.

Edit: comedy semi-option: wireless ANC phones plus a wired 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 10, 2023

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

do they have to be wired? It’d be so easy to recommend a pair of Beats Studio Buds+ or similar and be done with it. Not much in the wired/over ear ANC space these days unless you can use the Bose QuietComforts wired.

Edit: comedy semi-option: wireless ANC phones plus a wired 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter

I guess they don’t have to be, and it really seems like there’s not a ton of options which is why I asked here. Thanks for the heads up I’ll look into them

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My old Sony WH-H900Ns can be used wired with ANC on. They're wireless but come with a removable cable. A quick Google suggests that the newer Sonys have the same feature (but they're way over your budget, a used H900N might not be).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Wired ANC doesn't really exist because by the time you have a dsp, an amp, a battery and a bunch of mics built in, it doesn't really cost much more to toss in a bluetooth module.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I've had good luck with Amazon Warehouse listings if you want to save a buck or fifty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

I've had good luck with Amazon Warehouse listings if you want to save a buck or fifty.

:same:

The returns are ridiculously easy if it’s not what you want as well.

I always check the warehouse first.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for a rec! I am very inexperienced in this area, in fact the OP is the first time I have heard of IEMs. I do not usually put things on or in my ears. I play music and podcasts in my car or on speakers at home. I do have a pair of lovely earbuds I got at an airport, but this is something I may need to use more often so I'm looking to upgrade.

What I'm looking for: earbuds or IEMs that I will wear mostly at the gym, while lifting weights or running. I may also wear them on flights, which makes noise cancellation nice maybe, but it's not a dealbreaker.
Sound quality: my standards are really low here. I'm not a music guy. I will mostly listen to podcasts, maybe some music, but I don't need thumping bass.
Anything else: Don't want them to fall out/jostle around while I'm running. If there's any potential quality about them that makes them less damaging to my hearing, I'm interested in that. In my mind I imagine that noise cancellation is good in this way, because if outside noise is cancelled you don't need to turn up the volume so much. But again, I don't know.
Budget: If under $100 works, I'm down with that. But it's flexible.

edit: bluetooth, not wired, if that's not already assumed

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 12, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for a rec! I am very inexperienced in this area, in fact the OP is the first time I have heard of IEMs. I do not usually put things on or in my ears. I play music and podcasts in my car or on speakers at home. I do have a pair of lovely earbuds I got at an airport, but this is something I may need to use more often so I'm looking to upgrade.

What I'm looking for: earbuds or IEMs that I will wear mostly at the gym, while lifting weights or running. I may also wear them on flights, which makes noise cancellation nice maybe, but it's not a dealbreaker.
Sound quality: my standards are really low here. I'm not a music guy. I will mostly listen to podcasts, maybe some music, but I don't need thumping bass.
Anything else: Don't want them to fall out/jostle around while I'm running. If there's any potential quality about them that makes them less damaging to my hearing, I'm interested in that. In my mind I imagine that noise cancellation is good in this way, because if outside noise is cancelled you don't need to turn up the volume so much. But again, I don't know.
Budget: If under $100 works, I'm down with that. But it's flexible.

edit: bluetooth, not wired, if that's not already assumed

Beats Fit Pro or Beats Studio Buds+ or Apple AirPods Pro 2, if you’re in the ecosystem

I’d probably look at the two Beats options—the Fit Pro are currently $40 off ($159) everywhere, which is the same price as the updated Studio Buds, and have little winglets that are supposedly pretty good at keeping them in during exercise.

Alternatively you can look at the Beats Powerbeats Pro (currently the same price as the Fit Pro/Studio Buds for some stupid reason) if you absolutely need earbuds with loops that have no chance of ever falling out, but they’re frankly kind of overpriced IMO for being such an old design and you lose the active noise canceling of the three aforementioned models.

I’m not recommending anything in the sub-$100 range because I legitimately think it’s worth spending the extra $60 to get the flagship-tier stuff.

Edit: Best Buy has the older generation Studio Buds on sale for $50 off ($99). I don’t personally know how they compare to the newer models or the Fit Pro, but I’ve heard that the upgrade was a big improvement. Maybe other ppl here can speak to that, IDK. In any case, it’s a $100 option and probably better than anything else at that price point.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 14, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Alternatively, if sound cancellation isn't a deal breaker, can't recommend the Anker soundcore buds highly enough. Dead cheap, very reliable, and they sound great.

Unlike the previous poster, I think if you're just listening to podcasts and stuff, it's mad to spend so much money when you can get really decent hardware for like less than 25% of the price.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

You can also get something like the KZ AZ09 + wtvr Chinese IEM that fits. I use the BL03 with them currently. Probably less than $50 on AliExpress.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Alternatively, if sound cancellation isn't a deal breaker, can't recommend the Anker soundcore buds highly enough. Dead cheap, very reliable, and they sound great.

Unlike the previous poster, I think if you're just listening to podcasts and stuff, it's mad to spend so much money when you can get really decent hardware for like less than 25% of the price.

Counterpoint: everybody who tries the ANC and transparency modes ends up swearing by them, they are arguably the closest thing this crop of earbuds has to a killer feature, and the OP already mentioned being ANC-curious

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions. I think you both make valid arguments! :)

What is transparency mode?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What is transparency mode?

The ability to not only disable the noise cancelling, but to actively let the outside noise in as if you weren't wearing headphones at all.

Really useful for having conversations without taking them out, or for having basically open-backs for safety when walking the streets

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its glorious, but also when you first activate it before it adjusts itself you are going to learn how loud some places' AC fans are.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What are the best aftermarket earbud tips these days?

I used a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 that had tips made of something denser and more isolating that the good old Comply tips. Dunno what they were.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What are the best aftermarket earbud tips these days?

I used a pair of Sony WF-1000XM4 that had tips made of something denser and more isolating that the good old Comply tips. Dunno what they were.

That is extremely dependent on your ears, but I use mostly Spinfits.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Does the noise cancelling feature mean that you don't have to turn up the volume as much as would, thereby saving your ears from potential damage? Or is the potential to damage your hearing just as much as any other earbud/headphone?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does the noise cancelling feature mean that you don't have to turn up the volume as much as would, thereby saving your ears from potential damage?

I don't know if it's been studied exactly, but anecdotally yes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does the noise cancelling feature mean that you don't have to turn up the volume as much as would, thereby saving your ears from potential damage? Or is the potential to damage your hearing just as much as any other earbud/headphone?

Yes, and it has been studied. Also speaking from experience—using ANC at 50% vol on an aircraft instead of blasting your headphones to compete with the din is revelatory.

As long as you use it appropriately, it def helps cut down on volume, but it’s 100% not a replacement for actual hearing protection, a lot of which is available with built in headphones/Bluetooth if that’s what you actually need

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I'm looking into a pair of high-end earbuds for my Android phone and Chromebook, and it's down to the Sony WF-1000XM4 ($199) and the Sennheiser Momentum 3 ($237.40). SoundGuys like both of them, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience(s) with either?

I'm leaning towards the Sennheisers simply because of the longer (2y) warranty, which I can pad to three with a CC Extended Warranty perk.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 16, 2023

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That may be your answer then; there's really not an enormous gulf between those two models to begin with, and both are chunky af

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Ok Comboomer posted:

As long as you use it appropriately, it def helps cut down on volume, but it’s 100% not a replacement for actual hearing protection, a lot of which is available with built in headphones/Bluetooth if that’s what you actually need

So anecdotally - I got a pair of Walker's earmuffs with Bluetooth to wear while mowing the lawn, weedeating, etc. Problem is my electric mower is just below the threshold of the limiter, so using transparency just means I'm listening to an amplified lawn mower over my podcasts :negative:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally got my Auduze Maxwell's. A brief review by way of bullet points:

Latency:
• Wired Audio Latency over USB-C is good. I clock it around 20ms consistently
• Wired Audio Latency over AUX is ??? because the cable is shorter then poo poo and I don't have an extension to test it with.
• Wireless Audio Latency over USB dongle is...fine. An average of about 60ms, but I can make it easily fluctuate +/- 10ms by just toggling audio devices on my machine which is dumb.
• I didn't test bluetooth because why the gently caress would you use bluetooth.

Quality and Build
• Audio Quality is what is on the tin. Great neutral sounding closed back audio when considering the 'headset' form factor. These are not going to beat out a $1,000 set of cans with a proper setup and all that, but they are noticably better then my HyperX Cloud IIs, my PC 350s I still keep around, and these god awful Steel Series Arctis Novas.
• Microphone is real mediocre out of the box. Very muffled, very 'under water' kind of vibe. I don't know if this is fixable, but...
• On headset features are good. The buttons and wheels are appropriately clicky. The headset is easily the most well built of anything I have on me.
• Switching between input modes is good and plugging in and unplugging other things has basically 'just worked' the entire time.

Lets Complain
• When operating in ANY mode without audio playing for some time, it'll 'fade in' incoming audio. We'll see how much this pisses me off in practice, but It's definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on.
• The microphone is not good and is further compromised on Discord etc. for some reason.
The headset prefers the dongle even when USB is plugged in. What the actual gently caress. This is beyond stupid and unless I can change this, this might be the deal killer for me.
• The software is dogshit - par for the course.

Overall, this is probably the first 'premium' headset I've put on in a long time that didn't have stupid dumb 'gamer headset' deal-killing flaws lmao jk they hosed up the input priority so badly. The latency off the USB dongle is high enough and inconsistent enough that I'm not using it for srs bsns games, but falling back to a wired connection is seemless and the option to walk around when I want to is nice. The audio quality is quite good. The microphone is inoffensive. Everything else is kind of where I want it (except the software, which is super bad).

Nevermind all this. The cans are good, but it's functionality as a headset is so compromised that I wouldn't bother. Just get some HD600s because the idea of a "Premium Headset" is just not real. No one wants to put the whole package together and this is no exception. They market this as a 'no compromises' headset but it seems like an endless pile of compromises.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 17, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Following up on:

quote:

The headset prefers the dongle even when USB is plugged in. What the actual gently caress. This is beyond stupid and unless I can change this, this might be the deal killer for me.

This is indeed by design and is not changeable. So that is a sucker punch right to the gut and my enthusiasm for this headset has been sent from, 'medium-strong recommendation' to 'luke warm at best'.

And the storied history of literally no one being able to do a loving headset correctly continues. You got close Auduze and face-planted hard right at the finish line.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm still using my maxwell and it's so comfy and good sounding i'm kinda just dealing with the lovely mode switching presets like you've discovered. my gripes are with bluetooth vs. dongle since i don't use it wired, but yeah, same thing.

they desperately need to let you use one of the physical buttons to select the input mode you want to use instead of the dumb priority system. or even just a way to reorder the priority list through the software.

also, i haven't noticed the audio fade in at all. however, the microphone has that behavior for me when in PC mode, but not in xbox mode.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The drama with this headset continues.

I've messed around with this headset a ton tonight trying to get the Mic to not suck. Specifically, there is an issue with Discord -- I can record directly into Audacity and it's just 'normal bad', but in Discord is it truly awful. Audeze's solution to this is, 'disable every feature on Discord'. I've done this and it seems improved, but my direct records to Audacity are still noticeably better. I've been stacking them up against my HyperX Cloud II's mic and the Clouds are clearer with crispier highs, where even trying pretty hard with the Maxwells, I end up with serviceable output but it still sounds like there is too much gain on the mids and bass. Of my headsets I have, it has the most mediocre mic of them all (and none of them are great).

I'm going to gently caress about with it some more tomorrow to see if I can get this to not suck, but I'm downgrading my take from 'luke warm' to 'don't bother'. I think a thing I want to do is actually do a recording of all the headsets I have on me + some desk mics and do a comparison. The cans are still great, but at this point, you can just get some HD600s and the cheapest walmart mic you can find and be better off.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 were the go-to gaming setup for many years

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I started up an audio company. This year is rough for me, lots to do, so I'm trying to go slow. If anyone is interested in a Glamdring 14.8mm planar go here and fill out my form. Next month is when I'll start production. I hate shilling my own stuff, so find me on youtube to get more info.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Budget - ~$100
Source - iPhone mostly
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, wired
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - HE-4xx are my current favorite headphones to listen to music with. Some of the headphones that I have include HD-6xx, Beyerdynamic 770s, BLON-03/05 Moondrop Starfield, and Chu. The only pair of headphones that I really dislike are my set of KZ Terminators. ATH M50s were a bit bass heavy for me and they clamped down a bit too hard.
Preferred Music - Audiobooks/podcasts, ska, punk, classical, maybe metal

My Porta Pros last night. I'm still deciding if I want to just warranty the pair or try to mod them. Until then, I'd like to replace them. I mostly used them to going on walks in the neighborhood or doing chores around the house. I was considering a pair of Grado SR60x.

Edit:

I know Koss sells some headphones with the same driver as the porta pros but I think I want to use this chance to upgrade if possible. Removable cable would be a plus but I understand it's unlikely.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 19, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

redeyes posted:

I started up an audio company. This year is rough for me, lots to do, so I'm trying to go slow. If anyone is interested in a Glamdring 14.8mm planar go here and fill out my form. Next month is when I'll start production. I hate shilling my own stuff, so find me on youtube to get more info.

dude that’s rad. Post more about this please

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh ok this video probably tells as much as I have told about it. I sold 30 in the initial batch and 95% of people are over the moon. The rest are metal heads and want less treble, so Im helping with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeeNlTpS8w

To summerize, folks say this IEM sounds a lot like a open back planar from Hifiman. I don't know about that since I've never tried any of those but I would say this has 3 amazing things about it. 1. is the stage is the best you can find, highly 3D, spacial positioning is insane and its highly fun to listen to. 2 would be the bass being absolutely insane. It's got plenty but the quality is the top of the game including the Sony Z1R.. it beats it imo. and Finally the resolution and overall detail levels are fully top of the line style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

redeyes posted:

Oh ok this video probably tells as much as I have told about it. I sold 30 in the initial batch and 95% of people are over the moon. The rest are metal heads and want less treble, so Im helping with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeeNlTpS8w

To summerize, folks say this IEM sounds a lot like a open back planar from Hifiman. I don't know about that since I've never tried any of those but I would say this has 3 amazing things about it. 1. is the stage is the best you can find, highly 3D, spacial positioning is insane and its highly fun to listen to. 2 would be the bass being absolutely insane. It's got plenty but the quality is the top of the game including the Sony Z1R.. it beats it imo. and Finally the resolution and overall detail levels are fully top of the line style.

Congratulations man! Where's the link to your website though?