Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mllaneza posted:

We never got this because of corporate shenanigans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCTyQAB1NPo

But we did get this because of FS2 mods,

http://babylon.hard-light.net/

That hasnt been updated in nearly 13 years. :p The Sierra game I wonder how far along it even was. The only footage im aware of is a trailer that is just footage from the show. It doesnt actually have anything from a real game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I said come in! posted:

That hasnt been updated in nearly 13 years. :p The Sierra game I wonder how far along it even was. The only footage im aware of is a trailer that is just footage from the show. It doesnt actually have anything from a real game.

We do have Christopher Franke's soundtrack, which whips.

https://www.soundtrack.net/album/babylon-5-into-the-fire/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Clouseau posted:

I remain upset that TNT did every single thing they could to make Crusade garbage, when there's a world where we have five years of Gary Cole as a starship captain. Maybe Sheridan will trip into it as he's sliding around.

Ah, a fellow sicko who actually liked Crusade (or at least, saw its potential if it hadn't been constantly under assault from TNT's internal sabotage). There are dozens of us!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

I said come in! posted:

I believe an alpha of Into the Fire was leaked a few years back, you could fly a starfury around a bunch of ships.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Ah, a fellow sicko who actually liked Crusade (or at least, saw its potential if it hadn't been constantly under assault from TNT's internal sabotage). There are dozens of us!

We need a Crusade reboot, not a B5 one.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Eighties ZomCom posted:

We need a Crusade reboot, not a B5 one.

Galen sent captain Gideon back in time to teach him a lesson. Something went wrong, he gets stuck and is forced to change name to Kent Davison and work in politics.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Horizon Burning posted:

I believe an alpha of Into the Fire was leaked a few years back, you could fly a starfury around a bunch of ships.

I had always heard it was (in theory) six months from release. They also had a bunch of filmed segments.

Sadly, I imagine all the dev materials are long gone. If by some miracle they’re still around, they are deep within the bowels of Activision/Blizzard.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've always thought that Mass Effect, particularly the first game, was heavily inspired by Babylon 5.

It was along with things like the 80s Buck Rogers TV show, and the art of Syd Mead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've always thought that Mass Effect, particularly the first game, was heavily inspired by Babylon 5.

Yea, as soon as I got to the Citadel I was "wait this is Babylon 5, but the aliens run the station". The Reapers are a little like the Shadows/Vorlons but only in the most superficial ways though.

Jedit posted:

Last Ounce of Courage. And Fred Williamson is in it as well, so I expect there's a number of people there to get a paycheck rather than because they're actually chuds.

You tend not to star in these things unless you're a chud though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That trailer gave me “All Good Things… vibes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I liked and am mostly excited about the trailer but whoever commented on the sound mixing have nailed my real problem with it - G’kar et al being recast is just kind of an inevitability and not worth complaining about. But I can complain that Sheridan’s voice sounds thin and reedy because Bruce Boxleitner, even today, does not sound like that unless there is an audio engineer doing sabotage by cutting the entire low end out of his voice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chevy Slyme posted:

I liked and am mostly excited about the trailer but whoever commented on the sound mixing have nailed my real problem with it - G’kar et al being recast is just kind of an inevitability and not worth complaining about. But I can complain that Sheridan’s voice sounds thin and reedy because Bruce Boxleitner, even today, does not sound like that unless there is an audio engineer doing sabotage by cutting the entire low end out of his voice.

I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt that it's a super compressed file that they knew was mostly going to be viewed on phones with crappy speakers.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I was wondering because it wasn't that long ago he was on Supergirl and he sounded the same.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just played Sheridan's back from the dead speech and would pause and go back to his speaking lines in the trailer and they sound pretty much the same, remarkably so given the age differences. I even compared it to some set tour for some new western movie thing and they sounded pretty similar.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CainFortea posted:

I just played Sheridan's back from the dead speech and would pause and go back to his speaking lines in the trailer and they sound pretty much the same, remarkably so given the age differences. I even compared it to some set tour for some new western movie thing and they sounded pretty similar.

The diction, cadence, etc are the same. It’s clearly the same person speaking. But the trailer sounds like whoever mixed it turned the Bass on Boxleitner’s voice specifically down to like 20%.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

The diction, cadence, etc are the same. It’s clearly the same person speaking. But the trailer sounds like whoever mixed it turned the Bass on Boxleitner’s voice specifically down to like 20%.

No, I understood what the claim is. I'm saying it doesn't sound that much different from his other sheridan voice samples.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I thought it was Bruce's real voice and why isn't it? He's still around iirc
I was hoping it would be like the star trek original series animated version where they used the real actor's voices (the ones that were still alive.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spinz posted:

I thought it was Bruce's real voice and why isn't it? He's still around iirc

It is, but your voice does change with age. Boxleitner aged 70 isn't necessarily going to sound the same as Boxleitner aged 40.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

It is, but your voice does change with age. Boxleitner aged 70 isn't necessarily going to sound the same as Boxleitner aged 40.

Bruce's voice was pretty growly in the 90s. Men's voices tend to go one of two ways as they age, growly or whistly (obviously this is a generalization) so I could see aging being kind to his voice.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A.o.D. posted:

Bruce's voice was pretty growly in the 90s. Men's voices tend to go one of two ways as they age, growly or whistly (obviously this is a generalization) so I could see aging being kind to his voice.

Especially if they've been a long-time smoker. Boxleitner is known for being a cigar aficionado, IIRC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Delenn sounded like Mira in that, did she lay down voiceover before she passed away, do we know?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Gaz-L posted:

Delenn sounded like Mira in that, did she lay down voiceover before she passed away, do we know?

She has been recast.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

viz. Jeff Bridges, who presently sounds like he's gargling marbles when he talks.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Or Dominic Monaghan

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Or Dominic Monaghan

Jeff Bridges is the better comparison because they were both in TRON.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess the idea of the telepath colony on B5 was that saving refugees is a good thing, but a bunch of people with no real structure or direction or financial support is going to end up volatile and inconvenient.

Which isn't really wrong, but it is narratively unsatisfying. Sheridan had no plan what to do with these people when he took provided them sanctuary, and he forgot about them until they became a problem.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

neongrey posted:

She has been recast.

Huh, sounded much closer than the G'Kar

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sheridan had no plan what to do with these people when he took provided them sanctuary, and he forgot about them until they became a problem.

Phrased like that, it feels staggeringly realistic.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess the idea of the telepath colony on B5 was that saving refugees is a good thing, but a bunch of people with no real structure or direction or financial support is going to end up volatile and inconvenient.

Which isn't really wrong, but it is narratively unsatisfying. Sheridan had no plan what to do with these people when he took provided them sanctuary, and he forgot about them until they became a problem.

Sheridan is charismatic, he’s a good military genius, and he tries to be a big drat hero. He is poorly equipped to handle the telepath situation even if you set aside the conflict between Earth regulations on human telepaths and Sheridan’s contempt for the Psi Corps.

An established ISA might well have known of a world where this colony could settle and could have quietly relocated them (although odds suggest the Drahk would have messed with the colony at some stage). But at this point, the ISA has no exploration fleet and hence no capacity to provide a colonizable world. The situation is largely intractable.

S5 is explicitly tackling the “Great Man” theory and debunking it. As Delenn says in Deconstruction of Falling Stars, “John Sheridan was a good man.” But even he can’t be everything. As a hero to the non-aligned worlds, his main task was to hold the Alliance together in its early years, and he pays a heavy price doing that. I get the impression he is much happier in the Ranger One position with Delenn as head of the ISA.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, I liked that the telepath situation had no clear answer that they could just pull out and fix the whole thing. No rousing speech, no trap of logic, no sudden technological breakthrough can solve it.

It's messy and it's real and it's a direct consequence of what came before.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Set up the telepath colony on the Markab homeworld. :skeltal:
Though I am curious if anyone ever did try to take over the Markab homeworld, assuming they were a species unaffected by the plague.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Set up the telepath colony on the Markab homeworld. :skeltal:
Though I am curious if anyone ever did try to take over the Markab homeworld, assuming they were a species unaffected by the plague.

Sheridan destroyed the jump gate at the start of 2260.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

Sheridan destroyed the jump gate at the start of 2260.

Even some pirates had jump ships in the show so access may be slowed but never stopped. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just Another Lurker posted:

Even some pirates had jump ships in the show so access may be slowed but never stopped. :shrug:

No, but large cargo freighters aren't going to sacrifice the weight for jump engines when the network is right there. So the ships that could set up a colony can't get there, just as the graverobbers carrying things away wouldn't be able to.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

No, but large cargo freighters aren't going to sacrifice the weight for jump engines when the network is right there. So the ships that could set up a colony can't get there, just as the graverobbers carrying things away wouldn't be able to.

Won't get into an argument over this but that just doesn't sit right with me. :ughh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The raider vessel with jump engines (the battlewagon) was very much the exception ("It cost us every credit we stole over the last 2 years", or words to that effect) and it was blown up in Signs and Portents. It's also (deliberately) unclear quite how hyperspace navigation works - you generally follow beacons to get places, even the Cortez was in trouble when it fell off the beacon - and the beacons are (assumed? stated?) to be part of the jump gate networks.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Setting up a colony would there depend on what condition of the buildings and infrastructure left. Assuming those were in decent condition, that would cut down on freight. More so if the food sources on the planet were edible to whatever species sets up a colony there. And that species might go to the trouble of rebuilding a jump gate there too. Probably not a good place for the telepath colony since it would probably be too costly and the ISA would have to foot the bill. But they never really mention how colony worlds are set up either. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Setting up a colony would there depend on what condition of the buildings and infrastructure left. Assuming those were in decent condition, that would cut down on freight. More so if the food sources on the planet were edible to whatever species sets up a colony there. And that species might go to the trouble of rebuilding a jump gate there too. Probably not a good place for the telepath colony since it would probably be too costly and the ISA would have to foot the bill. But they never really mention how colony worlds are set up either. :shrug:

Explorer-class vessels scout worlds and drop off a beacon if they find one worth turning into a jump point. Then a jump-capable ship carrying a gate follows the beacon and drops off a new gate.

The Markab homeworld is probably in pretty good shape only a few years after the plague. The main problem with founding a new colony there is the several billion dead bodies.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Won't get into an argument over this but that just doesn't sit right with me. :ughh:

Even if you had jump engines, without the hyperspace beacon from the vaporized jump gate, how do you even find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They have some kind of hyperspace coordinate system, giving psychics the Markab system is a lot cleaner than I expected assuming that the Markab have an acceptable biosphere for human life.

The only real outright plothole with the telepath colony saga is that the show doesn't touch on how most races handle telepaths, and seemingly humans are the only ones with a social problem about it.