Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/TommyWiseau/status/1670500766866616320?t=qEt31FdBkrX2sBLiP2KUlw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

At least now they can get away from Batfleck and get someone in who will give a poo poo.

:goofy:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darko posted:

Nah, that's not how executives work. It's RT score is way above BvS, for instance, which they also thought would make a billion dollars. Early positive screenings and it being a multiverse movie was their path to success. They sourced Twitter opinions and figured leaning into Keaton Batman is what everyone wanted and would guarantee box office.

Yeah, can't be overstated that WB execs in particular are completely twitter-brained and wildly overreacting to criticism they don't actually understand, on top of having no real understanding of how storytelling works. It's all cargo culting and focus grouping and believing their own coke fuelled lies.

It seriously is WB's Rise of Skywalker, and I wonder if that movie has gotten people much more wary of troubled franchise instalments.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

Ezra & Co got beat by this:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
that was honestly much less of a poo poo show than I expected, given what everyone knows about the film

it was....OK

top 3rd for DC movies but that's a low, low bar.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Blackchamber posted:

I havent been following Blue Beetle like I did this because it lacks Keaton Batman, but I like the character at least the version from Young Justice. I've heard it mentioned though that it also doesn't look like it will do well. Anyone care to shed light on the subject or point me to an analysis/breakdown? I know we all love the schad, but I dont think any of us really wants to see bad movies and I hope its decent.

It about a guy that gets a less exciting Iron Man suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Blue Beetle could work played more as toku Venom, but there's absolutely no way WB is able to do that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The "eh it was fine" reactions are making me not want to bother seeing this. I want Cats level bad, not Black Adam

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s funnier and more bewildering than black Adam.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Saw this in not-really-IMAX-but-we're-going-to-pretend-it-is on Saturday night.

It was not as bad as I expected it to be. The weird "PS2-like" visual style in the time travelly bits seemed consistent at least, so I can excuse the poor reproduction of Henry Cavill Superman.

The humour mostly landed for me, although I do find Barry's character to be *really* annoying. I'm not sure if that's just Ezra Miller's performance or what, but I definitely don't need two of them in the same movie.

Keaton was great, although some of the CGI moves he pulls off look *very* awkward indeed. Not really any way around that though, I guess. You can't get a 71 year old to be holding his own against an army of mooks without some help from the CGI department.

Wasn't keen on the rest of the cameos, with the exception of George Clooney Bruce Wayne at the end. It'd be one thing if they contributed to proceedings in some way, but just showing up on screen for a couple of seconds... nah, needn't have bothered.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's good. You're a good reviewer, and I think you gave this movie a fair shake. Like you said, the biggest problems are that you can see it actually start working and catch glimpses of what might have been, then it drops another plop on the audience.

Thanks! Very kind.

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016
I generally like DC movies, even the bad ones, because they’re at least bad in interesting ways for the most part. But this movie sounds like a 2 hour gallery of member berries and I’m suuuuuper sick of that poo poo at this point. I mean Batman Returns is probably my favorite superhero movie ever and I just groaned when I heard Michael Keaton was in this. Just let the past be.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Snyderheads are complete weirdos but I am enjoying #Firejamesgunn trending

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Aipsh posted:

Snyderheads are complete weirdos sickos but I am enjoying #Firejamesgunn trending

Fixed.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm exhausted by multiverses and just want them to stop. Give me one universe per superhero you dorks.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Martman posted:

The "eh it was fine" reactions are making me not want to bother seeing this. I want Cats level bad, not Black Adam

It's better than Black Adam. It's just meh, and not really anything to pan except for the stuff behind the scenes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

smoobles posted:

I'm exhausted by multiverses and just want them to stop. Give me one universe per superhero you dorks.

A ten year ceasefire on superhero movies and a 30 year ceasefire on fffffucking multiverse anything.

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

A ten year ceasefire on superhero movies and a 30 year ceasefire on fffffucking multiverse anything.

Carve out an exception for movies that are at least as good as Everything Everywhere and yes.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Lurker Ant posted:

Carve out an exception for movies that are at least as good as Everything Everywhere and yes.

that's a lot of movies

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lurker Ant posted:

Haven’t seen it but i’ll allow it *bangs gavel*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

YaketySass posted:

that's a lot of movies

But a lot less DC films

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

smoobles posted:

i think you mean "costumed dipshit"
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1125459413177917441

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I am seeing this tonight and since I've been waiting for a Flash movie since I was about 6 years old, so i am determined to get something out of it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I am seeing this tonight and since I've been waiting for a Flash movie since I was about 6 years old, so i am determined to get something out of it

I laughed at a few of the jokes and for the most part the double Barry effects/blocking is extremely well done. Also Sasha Calle’s face is in it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Bogus Adventure posted:

I really would have enjoyed seeing the Snyder's movies play out, especially with the New Gods being involved. It was a series of superhero movies that spoke to me, that felt over-the-top like high opera and treated the heroes like the heroes and villains of myths. His proposed conclusion sounds wild, and probably would have made more "fans" angry, but it wasn't like we were never going to get more Batman and Superman movies.

What was the proposed conclusion?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

trevorreznik posted:

What was the proposed conclusion?

https://ultranyc.com/zack-snyder-original-dceu-plan/#:~:text=This%20group's%20plan%20was%20to,subjugation%20to%20the%20Anti%2DLife.

I have no idea how that would be consistent with this movie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1670675126235586561?t=6GQqGiODCdY11BofvLx21w&s=19

Pack it up, it's over

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Fangz posted:

https://ultranyc.com/zack-snyder-original-dceu-plan/#:~:text=This%20group's%20plan%20was%20to,subjugation%20to%20the%20Anti%2DLife.

It’s not which is why The Flash shouldn’t have been made (well, in the state it was).

:edit: also I would’ve loved to have seen the films that link is calling a mess. Pssh. Snyderhead sickos rise up

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 19, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fangz posted:

lol what I love about this article is that it editorializes in the title/subtitle but apparently just thinks the path was self-evidently bad without providing any kind of justification beyond "here's where it gets worse because Batman sacrifices himself". Which I mean, I'm sure from WB's perspective was not the play if they wanted a 20 year MCU style mega-franchise but it's not bad as far as storytelling goes to have a heroic sacrifice.

Like legitimately all this is is a high level outline that might as well say "some comic book poo poo happens but our heroes win in the end but with a price"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Remember how none of the heroes died in Endgame? Everybody survived and had ice cream.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, can't be overstated that WB execs in particular are completely twitter-brained and wildly overreacting to criticism they don't actually understand, on top of having no real understanding of how storytelling works. It's all cargo culting and focus grouping and believing their own coke fuelled lies.

It seriously is WB's Rise of Skywalker, and I wonder if that movie has gotten people much more wary of troubled franchise instalments.

WB‘s handling of DC has been stuck in a cycle of reaction and overcorrection ever since they retroactively decided to make Man of Steel the start of a shared cinematic DCU after production had already wrapped, seemingly in reaction to the success of the original Avengers. if nothing else, there’s certainly symmetry in one of the DCEU’s last gasps revolving so much around the events of MoS

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So it is the rise of skywalker of Dc lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think that synopsis sounds dumb as hell (also remember that the script would be written by Chris "Rise of Skywalker" Terrio...) but it's the epitome of pointlessness to argue about this in 2023

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Is $30m for a Pixar movie opening really that bad? Seems like all of the recent stuff has been just doing okay numbers, not sure why anyone would expect a $100m opening weekend or whatever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fangz posted:

I think that synopsis sounds dumb as hell (also remember that the script would be written by Chris "Rise of Skywalker" Terrio...) but it's the epitome of pointlessness to argue about this in 2023

Yes, it is pointless at this juncture to argue that Zack Snyder is the undisputed master of cape cinema.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Yes, it is pointless at this juncture to argue that Zack Snyder is the undisputed master of cape cinema.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d take lord and Miller any day over him

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fangz posted:

Rise of Skywalker wasn't written by Chris Terrio, it was written by the guy from this dril tweet:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CelticPredator posted:

I’d take lord and Miller any day over him

They were writer/producers on Spider-Verse, the option is open to have both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McSpanky posted: