Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

tankies be like: nooooooo don't let democracy die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

re: Boomtank

Given the state of those other shells posted earlier in this thread, does Russia even have any worthy 100mm rounds in storage for the (very old and generally obsolete) D-10 gun on the T-54/55?

Probably? The T-55 is still used all over the world so I wouldn't be surprised if they still had factories cranking out 100mm rounds for export.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Calling bullshit on that one until I see a link.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is the downfall of the west. If only they'd let the blonde beast of the east take over half of Europe. Then the downfall would be presented

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Posting on the weed page to remind everyone that Putin is a giant piece of poo poo who starts genocidal wars of imperial aggression that he has no hope of winning because he grifted his army into the dirt

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't believe I've heard liquidated used that way

How? It's specific meaning is hotly debated every single time someone posts Ukrainian casualty claims. One school of thought insists it means only KIA:

fatherboxx posted:

"Liquidated" means killed:

fatherboxx posted:

"Liquidated" was used internally by Soviet security services for targeted killings. Way later Russia started using it in media during Chechen campaigns because "liquidated militants" sounded tacticool and clean, in line with western war coverage newspeak ("insurgents", "surgical strikes", "collateral damage").

...While others contend the numbers match a high but reasonable upper bound for WIA+KIA.

I doubt we'll get the final verdict until the guns have gone silent.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Posting on the weed page to remind everyone that Putin is a giant piece of poo poo who starts genocidal wars of imperial aggression that he has no hope of winning because he grifted his army into the dirt

:hmmyes:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Can't wait to read how this is only proof of the western russophobia and the criminality of the perfidious west. Nevermind literally the plan was to take Ukraine and Moldova before they hilariously failed and are explicitly trying to undermine and destabilize countries politically.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 19, 2023

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

beer_war posted:

Calling bullshit on that one until I see a link.
Russia never 'fully' controlled Bakhmut, so I guess that tweet has at least some truth to it.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I doubt that that's even a real quote by the German Defense Ministry.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1670514363634176000

Hmm let us see. Hearing from best part of 100 Eastern Euros 15 years ago telling me that Russia hates Ukraine and will invade and I just openly laughed at them and 15 years later that Russia has invaded.

I'm bet Aaron is right. This document is real and I'm also sure it's full of BS of giving away half of Ukraines country which they promptly told Russia 'Go gently caress yourself'

But something something war is bad, Grrr NATO for escalating this unjust war against Russia.

Tankies really do have the mental capacity of a 9 year old.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

beer_war posted:

I doubt that that's even a real quote by the German Defense Ministry.

I don't see it on their twitter or homepage.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Remember when there actually were negotiations of some sort in the first months - and they ended up with the Ukrainian representative gunned down? That episode seems to have been largely forgotten

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tai posted:

Hmm let us see. Hearing from best part of 100 Eastern Euros 15 years ago telling me that Russia hates Ukraine and will invade and I just openly laughed at them and 15 years later that Russia has invaded.

I'm bet Aaron is right. This document is real and I'm also sure it's full of BS of giving away half of Ukraines country which they promptly told Russia 'Go gently caress yourself'

But something something war is bad, Grrr NATO for escalating this unjust war against Russia.

"How dare the US-UK sabotage a peace plan that Ukraine wasn't going to accept regardless and wouldn't have resulted in peace anyways!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tai posted:

Even if I play in the space and believe it's a real document, it's not like Putin would have agreed to his part of the agreement anyway. Hell, if anything he's probably relieved they kept a copy of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Putin would never fake a document!

E: I suggest not opening the tread without a blue-checkmark filter, but even then some gems slip through

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Hungarian government are crytofascists who would dearly love to "reclaim" Transcarpathia. Likely these are Hungarian speaking Ukrainians that the Orban government want to use as tools.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tai posted:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Can't wait to read how this is only proof of the western russophobia and the criminality of the perfidious west. Nevermind literally the plan was to take Ukraine and Moldova before they hilariously failed and are explicitly trying to undermine and destabilize countries politically.

Tankies howling over the party bans in Ukraine always looked to me like just another expression of their internalized American exceptionaliism. Party bans are not unusual in parliamentary democracies. When you have hundreds of active parties, some of them are going to be cults, criminal organizations or extremist groups. Bans usually happen when a party displays both an intention and also the means to attack and damage the democratic order.

First party ban in post-war Germany was some time in the 50s IIRC. Guess Germany hasn't been a democracy since then.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1670746525947789313
So does this mean occupiers are now suffering from malaria as well as cholera?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Putin is holding a document dated (I think)15 April, but the Russian collapse/retreat from Kyiv started almost 2 weeks before that. Is the story that Putin spontaneously ordered the Kyiv withdrawal around 1 April, negotiations continued for two weeks - as the Ukrainians mopped up any forces still in the Kyiv region who hadn't made it back to Russia - then with Kyiv now secure, they signed some peace deal the Ukrainians subsequently abrogated?

Reuters article from 29 March:

"Ukrainian and Russian negotiators met in Turkey on Tuesday for the first face-to-face talks in nearly three weeks, with Ukraine seeking a ceasefire without compromising on territory or sovereignty as its forces have pushed Russians back from Kyiv."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-offers-neutrality-exchange-nato-style-security-guarantees-russia-talks-2022-03-29/

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 19, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Putin is full of poo poo.

Also a piece of poo poo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

zone posted:

I mean I see that I immediately think that, "okay, the Russian military is planning to introduce malaria-bearing mosquitoes in the region flooded by the dam collapse", also brings some echoes of the Germans flooding the potine marches and reintroducing malaria mosquitoes in Italia during WW2 as a way of hurting the allied advancing and taking spiteful revenge on Italy.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
The Ukrainians rescued some Russian soldiers who were stuck up a tree in the flood, I wonder if it's the same group from the video that was posted a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1670640206452514818?s=20

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

Putin is holding a document dated (I think)15 April, but the Russian collapse/retreat from Kyiv started almost 2 weeks before that. Is the story that Putin spontaneously ordered the Kyiv withdrawal around 1 April, negotiations continued for two weeks - as the Ukrainians mopped up any forces still in the Kyiv region who hadn't made it back to Russia - then with Kyiv now secure, they signed some peace deal the Ukrainians subsequently abrogated?

Reuters article from 29 March:

"Ukrainian and Russian negotiators met in Turkey on Tuesday for the first face-to-face talks in nearly three weeks, with Ukraine seeking a ceasefire without compromising on territory or sovereignty as its forces have pushed Russians back from Kyiv."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-offers-neutrality-exchange-nato-style-security-guarantees-russia-talks-2022-03-29/

The timeline contradicts him but Putin's claim is that Zelensky agreed, in principle, to the draft of a peace agreement and based on that Putin withdrew all forces from Kyiv and then Zelensky changed his mind and didn't sign the agreement.

Which makes Putin look like an imbecile and painta Zelensky a shrewd operator.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1670746525947789313

Surprisingly, malaria had been eradicated in Ukraine by 1956, eight years before Germany. Imported cases only since then. Good job, Soviet Union.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Imagine cheerleading for Russia in any year, let alone 2023 lol

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

MKULTRA was real but none of the crazy mind control poo poo was.

MKULTRA crazy mind control poo poo was real in the sense that that is what they were trying to achieve, but it turns out that giving people near lethal doses of psychedelics while torturing them does not somehow make you control their minds.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Understandable, but...drat

imagine losing so much equipment in a war you started that you break a man whose sole purpose was counting your destroyed vehicles and you grind him into dust

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1670813480998297600?s=20

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

zone posted:

tankies be like: nooooooo don't let democracy die

Killing Democracy by banning the literal “open the gates and let the barbarians in” party. Hate to see it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1670709934244151300?s=20

Piatykhatky, a tiny village 75 km north of Melitopol, has been liberated.

Glad it's been confirmed now, yesterday the Russians were going back and forth on it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Tankies howling over the party bans in Ukraine always looked to me like just another expression of their internalized American exceptionaliism. Party bans are not unusual in parliamentary democracies. When you have hundreds of active parties, some of them are going to be cults, criminal organizations or extremist groups. Bans usually happen when a party displays both an intention and also the means to attack and damage the democratic order.

First party ban in post-war Germany was some time in the 50s IIRC. Guess Germany hasn't been a democracy since then.

Unless you have parties that are actively working against the country and working with the invader then it's not democracy you poo poo lib.

I'm super smart

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

MKULTRA crazy mind control poo poo was real in the sense that that is what they were trying to achieve, but it turns out that giving people near lethal doses of psychedelics while torturing them does not somehow make you control their minds.

They managed to hypnotize a secretary into spinning her pen once.

CIA ended up filing hypnotism as 'some real effects that are useless, but maybe self-hypnosis might help torture resistance."

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1670709934244151300?s=20

Piatykhatky, a tiny village 75 km north of Melitopol, has been liberated.

One Village at a time, one Oblast at a time, one Country. :ukraine:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Owling Howl posted:

The timeline contradicts him but Putin's claim is that Zelensky agreed, in principle, to the draft of a peace agreement and based on that Putin withdrew all forces from Kyiv and then Zelensky changed his mind and didn't sign the agreement.

Which makes Putin look like an imbecile and painta Zelensky a shrewd operator.

Apparently they were so close to signing that "peace deal" yet somehow forgot to ask if France, the UK, US and China are actually interested in making such an enormous commitment. Just imagine any of these countries ever agreeing to something like that, especially China. It would be insane.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

HonorableTB posted:

Understandable, but...drat

imagine losing so much equipment in a war you started that you break a man whose sole purpose was counting your destroyed vehicles and you grind him into dust

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1670813480998297600?s=20

Can't blame him.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Indeed it was the Soviets, and there's a chadenfreudy end to the whole hosed up and inhumane story: the dogs they had trained to seek treats under Soviet tanks with anti-tank mines strapped to their backs learned that Soviet tanks had tasty treats under them and blew up their own tanks.

Which, you know... hard to feel too bad for assholes who do poo poo like that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Which, you know... hard to feel too bad for assholes who do poo poo like that.

They wouldn't have blown up the guys who trained them though, just some random tankers.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

beer_war posted:

Putin is full of poo poo.

Also a piece of poo poo.

putinception - poo poo within poo poo within poo poo ad infinitum

e: smoke weed Slava Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012