Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BonHair posted:

I can do it at work or the library, but it's love once every several months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I do not trust any of those "just show the barcode in our app!" things not to gently caress up when I'm in line and wind up holding everyone up and being really annoying, and will always print tickets

Also I make photomasks for circuit boards sometimes but that's a very niche use

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress are y'all printing anyway? I had a printer for uni, but as soon as I graduated, it just collected dust. On the off chance I need to print, I can do it at work or the library, but it's love once every several months

I don't want my work tracking all my printouts.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress are y'all printing anyway? I had a printer for uni, but as soon as I graduated, it just collected dust. On the off chance I need to print, I can do it at work or the library, but it's love once every several months

Colouring pages for my kid. He loves picking a page with me at the computer and then running over to the printer.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

BonHair posted:

I kept my printer because paper and toner doesn't go bad

Shame Boy posted:

I do not trust any of those "just show the barcode in our app!" things not to gently caress up when I'm in line and wind up holding everyone up and being really annoying, and will always print tickets

Also I make photomasks for circuit boards sometimes but that's a very niche use

Old detected. please leave the internet to the under 60s thank you

Buck Turgidson posted:

Colouring pages for my kid. He loves picking a page with me at the computer and then running over to the printer.

wholesome

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tokin opposition posted:

Old detected. please leave the internet to the under 60s thank you

You've already ruined it enough. Now is the time of the olds

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BonHair posted:

used to need one to print out boarding passes but not for years now phone qr codes have been accepted by cheap airlines

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read on these forums once that printing is something you do at work and immediately realized that I hated owning a printer and never went back

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This week I've printed:
- several drafts of a wedding speech I was giving
- flight boarding passes (yeah you can use your phone but it's easy to just pull out a piece of paper)
- airport fast pass (yeah you can use your phone but then you can't hand it to the Starbucks guy and claim your free hot chocolate)
- multiple return labels for online orders
- address labels for a bunch of thank you cards

It's been a big week for the Brother

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

Documentation, usually.

E: oh and maps and driving instructions. Phones are absolutely poo poo for that, but also will just fail at any critical turn (so to speak).

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Jun 19, 2023

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
lol i just remember printing out mapquest directions before gps was widespread

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I used to do that too lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Watching the odometer and resetting the trip clock each step of the way to keep up

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So what I'm getting is that if I don't fly or drive or buy stuff I don't need online, I'm not really gonna need a printer. I guess the three speeches I will give in my life is something my boss can spy on.

Outlines for kids drawings is a good use case though, I'm gonna hit that one when I get back to work in 3 months.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the printer, the oven and the microwave are all pretty fake.

And then I didn't have an electric kettle for so long. too long

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

also any kind of coffee capsule machine is extremely stupid unless you gotta rush out the door, but not rush that much so that the 1 minute to make the capsule makes sense but the 6 minutes to make proper coffee doesn't

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

bathtub is another bullshit they sold us I never use it except to clean it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Antonymous posted:

the printer, the oven and the microwave are all pretty fake.
:raise:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sorry maybe we were talking about that in another thread. cookies, pie and pizza i guess yah an oven. nothing else requires it

ceiling fan is huge I love ceiling fans. garbage disposal, dishwasher, love it.

fire places? i never use them but they are homey.

immersion blender - yes. normal blender? no, but

toaster - yes

air fryer - yes, but

rice maker - yes

anything else hard no

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 11:22 on Jun 19, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

do you really need a smart phone?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Antonymous posted:

sorry maybe we were talking about that in another thread. cookies, pie and pizza i guess yah an oven. nothing else requires it

:goonsay:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Antonymous posted:

Absolutely not

If i could exchange the time sink in my hand for a thing that can only run GPS navigation, podcasts and some kind of chat I'd switch in a heartbeat

Yes I know I technically control which apps I download but my brain is my own worst enemy

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

jeebus bob posted:

Absolutely not

If i could exchange the time sink in my hand for a thing that can only run GPS navigation, podcasts and some kind of chat I'd switch in a heartbeat

Yes I know I technically control which apps I download but my brain is my own worst enemy

That's the secret: everyone's brain is their own worst enemy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My.job won't give me a dumb phone (they pay the bill).

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

COPE 27 posted:

There's a dang cheeto in on the white house!

dammit

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Antonymous posted:

Yeah before I got one last month I had to run banking apps in an Android emulator because they had critical functionality not available in the web interface. If I got autolocked out support calls could get involved. "Wait, the authentication process, how did you pass that exactly?" "I piped my ID photo to a virtual webcam" "Uh-huh. I'm gonna need you to hold a piece of paper with the current date for this one"

Having internet access on the go can really save your rear end, in general there are fewer times when you have to go back to your house to do something important. An overall upgrade I have to admit

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
... how do you prepare meat and potatoes if you don't have an oven? Do you just deep fry it all while yelling God Bless America or something?

Conveniently, microwave is really bloody useful for heating up leftovers of oven baked food without having to worry about burning them. (Also great for soups, stews, etc)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my dad posted:

... how do you prepare meat and potatoes if you don't have an oven? Do you just deep fry it all while yelling God Bless America or something?

You put the frozen plastic-packaged meal in the microwave for 2.5 minutes, then stir, then another 2 minutes

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Antonymous posted:

ceiling fan is huge I love ceiling fans. garbage disposal, dishwasher, love it.

fire places? i never use them but they are homey.

immersion blender - yes. normal blender? no, but

toaster - yes

air fryer - yes, but

rice maker - yes

anything else hard no
Absolutely bizarre priorities.
  • Ovens can be used to make (and reheat) many foods and also perform the function of a toaster - better in many cases.
  • Ceiling fans are pointless. Fans in general are a waste of space/energy.
  • I've never even seen a garbage disposal. Maybe they're life-changing once you experience them. I doubt it.
  • A dishwasher is nice to have, but it's hardly essential.
  • A fireplace is a massive pain in the arse. One more thing making it difficult to place your furniture where you want it to make best use of the space. And I'm never going to actually light a fire in it.
  • Immersion blender is handy, sure. Not essential, but good to have. A food processor is much more useful though and can be used for most of the same purposes.
  • Toasters are just a part of the oven only they take up more space on the bench. I'd never own one. Air fryer is, again, just replicating functionality of the oven but taking up more space. If you want a small, separate oven for the increased efficiency, get a micro-convection. Those things are fantastic.
  • Rice cookers are the dumbest kitchen appliance I've ever heard of. What's so difficult about putting a saucepan on the stove? It's the simplest possible thing to cook. How could you possibly need an extra device for this?
  • You left out the kettle. I don't know if that was an oversight or not, but a kettle is essential.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dishwashers are essential but otherwise you make some good points

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Either 3 threads are converging into 1 or I'm going mad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I print out PDFs of books I'm reading bc I can't do screen reading.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also HR departments are assholes who still want me to like, print and sign lots of documents when I've gotten new jobs. Ive gone to the library for that in the past but now I have a printer

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How much do you think the crew of this submersible were getting paid?
The guest paid $250k each.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65953872

quote:

A submersible used to take people to view the wreck of the Titanic has gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

tadashi posted:

The Mount Everest of shipwrecks

Living and dying on a yellow submarine

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Absolutely bizarre priorities.
  • Ovens can be used to make (and reheat) many foods and also perform the function of a toaster - better in many cases.
  • Ceiling fans are pointless. Fans in general are a waste of space/energy.
  • I've never even seen a garbage disposal. Maybe they're life-changing once you experience them. I doubt it.
  • A dishwasher is nice to have, but it's hardly essential.
  • A fireplace is a massive pain in the arse. One more thing making it difficult to place your furniture where you want it to make best use of the space. And I'm never going to actually light a fire in it.
  • Immersion blender is handy, sure. Not essential, but good to have. A food processor is much more useful though and can be used for most of the same purposes.
  • Toasters are just a part of the oven only they take up more space on the bench. I'd never own one. Air fryer is, again, just replicating functionality of the oven but taking up more space. If you want a small, separate oven for the increased efficiency, get a micro-convection. Those things are fantastic.
  • Rice cookers are the dumbest kitchen appliance I've ever heard of. What's so difficult about putting a saucepan on the stove? It's the simplest possible thing to cook. How could you possibly need an extra device for this?
  • You left out the kettle. I don't know if that was an oversight or not, but a kettle is essential.

Totally wrong about the fans, homie. AC uses way more resources. Granted occupancy design in the US often doesn't take proper heating/cooling into design consideration because everyone wants to rely on HVAC to do the heavy lifting, but my old house could be opened all the way up and was perfectly comfortable until the hottest part of summer with just the ceiling fans blowing. In the wintertime using the woodburning stove you can throw those ceiling fans in reverse and help circulate the hot air from around the stove.

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

in totally unrelated news

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

some gov stuff, at least in my state, require printed out forms as well which is particularly odious.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You need a printer for stuff for your big conspiracy board. Lots of red twine and pins, also. We all have one of those in our house, if not more than one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

tadashi posted:

Minimum wage + tips