Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded weirdly enough of the 'dingo ate my baby' story and how it became a bizarre media circus and they thought she actually sacrificed her baby in some satanic ritual or something and no one seemed to look up what a dingo actually is in an encyclopaedia.

You hear the term "consistent with" carrying a lot of weight in contentious true crime cases like that one.
If I'm remembering right, the back seat of her car was tested and had traces of residue "consistent with" blood. They didn't actually find blood, and one of the things that could also test similar was copper, and they lived down the road from a copper mine. Thats not nearly as good of a story though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah she was drunk. There wouldn't be any questions about it if her husband and sister in law dropped it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Recently watched Devilsdorp with my partner, and the Wikipedia page doesn’t do the utterly bonkers murders justice. Totally worth a watch, but it’s rough.

I didn’t know that the satanic panic extended into South Africa and then apparently loving lasted until a few years ago maybe? I cannot imagine what’s going on with this new wave in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_panic_(South_Africa)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm really not surprised South Africans went wild with the Satanic Panic.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I saw an episode of Deadliest Roads about Malawi and satanic panic is there too.

https://youtu.be/s4EmCPa4euY

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7x4kjg/how-colonialism-fueled-deadly-anti-vampire-hysteria-in-malawi

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

teen witch posted:

Recently watched Devilsdorp with my partner, and the Wikipedia page doesn’t do the utterly bonkers murders justice. Totally worth a watch, but it’s rough.

I didn’t know that the satanic panic extended into South Africa and then apparently loving lasted until a few years ago maybe? I cannot imagine what’s going on with this new wave in the US

oh yeah it's huge and has been for a long, long time, especially with a Certain Kind of Afrikaner. It was incredibly weird to encounter growing up, even as a kid - one teacher insisted that Harry Potter was Satanic but Chronicles of Narnia wasn't (can't toss out your fave apologetics writer!)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

feldhase posted:

oh yeah it's huge and has been for a long, long time, especially with a Certain Kind of Afrikaner. It was incredibly weird to encounter growing up, even as a kid - one teacher insisted that Harry Potter was Satanic but Chronicles of Narnia wasn't (can't toss out your fave apologetics writer!)

Narnia is literally written as a childrens book about Christianity / God though so that is easy to understand.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Narnia is literally written as a childrens book about Christianity / God though so that is easy to understand.

Yeah I get that, but as a kid it felt stupid to be told that this book of magic was Satanic but this book of magic is a-ok

This was the same school where the principal used an entire assembly to tell us that he had a book of “demon names” in his office and every Pokémon’s name was written in it, which got me and my buddy real excited because all we heard was “book of demon’s names” and “in my office”. So we tossed his office when the admin was out during some event (it wasn’t a super huge school) and were massively disappointed as we didn’t find the book but his furious blustering at the assembly the next day was well worth it

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Sounds like time well spent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You'd think conservatives would love harry potter since it's full of horrible classist dogshit and conservative morals and was written by an anti-lgbt crusader who hangs out with nazi's and christian fundamentalist hate groups.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
JK Rowling actually gets miffed that for some reason, all these fascist virulent misogynists keep agreeing with her, but she has absolutely no self-reflection as to why this keeps happening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StillFullyTerrible posted:

JK Rowling actually gets miffed that for some reason, all these fascist virulent misogynists keep agreeing with her, but she has absolutely no self-reflection as to why this keeps happening.

Maybe it's the pro-slavery message in her books. But I'm sure she was just accidentally mocking abolitionists.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wasn't there some south African doctor who introduced drugs to all sorts of neighborhoods and claimed it was an op?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

feldhase posted:

This was the same school where the principal used an entire assembly to tell us that he had a book of “demon names” in his office and every Pokémon’s name was written in it

Presumably this book would also have to include the names of all the yet-unreleased pokemons from future generations. It'd be worth a mint to a leaks site.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blastoise is an Earl and Duke of Hell, ruling thirty legions of demons and has four kings as his companions to command his legions. He gives the understanding of the voices of the animals, says past and future, conciliates friends and rulers, and he can lead men to hidden treasures that have been hidden by the enchantment of magicians.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Presumably this book would also have to include the names of all the yet-unreleased pokemons from future generations. It'd be worth a mint to a leaks site.

Nintendo changed the naming scheme when people leaked Pikablu and Charcolt

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Nah, it just includes an interview with Buer in which Professor Lionwheel himself does the entire pokerap. Apparently it was all the rage in the fifth circle at the time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Blastoise is an Earl and Duke

Squirtle is the Duke of Earl

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

teen witch posted:

Is that the same thing that they did a podcast about, which is getting advertised to death on Behind the Bastards?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Is that the same thing that they did a podcast about, which is getting advertised to death on Behind the Bastards?

Yes and skip the podcast, one can find the documentary…somewhere….

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Phy posted:

Squirtle is the Duke of Earl

Has anyone checked on the red haired girl, drove a Chevrolet?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Wasabi the J posted:

Wasn't there some south African doctor who introduced drugs to all sorts of neighborhoods and claimed it was an op?

Wouter Basson and Project Coast, yeah.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

teen witch posted:

I watched Devilsdorp on the weekend, found it’s available on SBS on-demand in Australia, once my mind finally realised the word was dorp and not drop.

It was good but I’m mostly still processing at the moment:
*What a cast of characters.
*Every time I heard “Know Your Enemy” I heard RATM.
*It’s frustrating it took so many deaths before anyone was caught.
*That police. All of them.
*The journalist in love.
*everyone that died, died for no good reason.
*I feel bad for Marcel.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DRINK ME posted:

I watched Devilsdorp on the weekend, found it’s available on SBS on-demand in Australia, once my mind finally realised the word was dorp and not drop.

It was good but I’m mostly still processing at the moment:
*What a cast of characters.
*Every time I heard “Know Your Enemy” I heard RATM.
*It’s frustrating it took so many deaths before anyone was caught.
*That police. All of them.
*The journalist in love.
*everyone that died, died for no good reason.
*I feel bad for Marcel.

Yeah, there is so much :wtf: but my top query is is “are there any decent hairdressers in SA?”

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Nope, it reminds me of 1980s Australiana.

The short scene in the first episode of the mulleted detective getting dressed in his bling is stuck in my brain - there’s no good image of him online with it all: the collar stays, cufflinks, tie pins, rings, badges, etc. but this courtroom photo sort of captures his essence.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Loomer posted:

Wouter Basson and Project Coast, yeah.

Yes! Project Coast reminded me of the creepy causes Peter Thiel donates to.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

:nws: it's about penis enhancement surgery

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

I’m not even a penis-haver, but there’s a description of the journalist witnessing an implant surgery that made me lightheaded.

Expounding on the ideas woven throughout: There’s definitely a frustrating tendency for even “progressive-minded” people to stick with lovely jokes like “[rabid conservative] probably has a small dick! Guys with big trucks are compensating for their teeny weenies!” and not see that they’re actively promoting gender dysphoria, even in cis men. Like… you can’t be trusted to be safe around trans/nonbinary people if you apparently think anyone with a short dick is worthy of mockery and derision.

They say “smash the patriarchy!” out of one face and “your external genitalia determine your worth!” from the other. It really sucks.

Long story short, it was heartbreaking to read about so many guys who hoped a bigger penis would fix their confidence issues, their histories of trauma, their libido, and/or their relationship. Y’all get bombarded with “lol that’s Small Dick Energy (derogatory)” and I really hope that goes the way or other harmful archaic ideas.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Since this thread is back to life with on topic stuff, just throwing out a quick thanks for the cane chat prior. I’ve got myself sorted p nicely with a folding vive :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

product-liability lawsuits regarding inflatable penile prostheses brought by plaintiffs Dick Glass and Semen Brodsky

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I thought that was another article about penis surgeries but it’s the same one I read on propublica the other week. Both the surgery description and all the descriptions of complications we’re pretty strong - “flip it inside out” is stuck in my brain”

I never thought about the external factors that might lead someone down that path but we really should have mandatory counselling before any cosmetic surgery, if that doesn’t already exists. Not that I think it would have helped with the penuma, given the doctor seemed to rush people into signing whatever and then keep things as secretive as possible from the patients. “Sure it’s normal to completely lose all sensation. Do not google this.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know the regulatory state is in freefall, but I figured the government would care enough to stop quack doctors from just stapling a toilet paper tube into someone's dick. Like, you need to be able to pay $10k+ out of pocket for this poo poo, I figure they all belong to a class of people that the government still kinda-sorta cares about protecting from being randomly hosed over.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sort-of related to that dick implant article, today I stumbled across an article about that pup play dom/sub lifestyle guy who died because of a botched procedure in which he was getting his balls pumped full of liquid silicone.

https://www.thestranger.com/features/2018/11/05/35073826/death-of-a-kinkster

Article posted:

"You might've noticed, most of these guys who have silicone injected into their junk will show pictures of their big bulges but not much of the actual flesh," Waltman says. "[That's] because it's really knobby and gnarled and looks really horrifying, honestly. And that's pretty much how Peter's ended up, and pretty much how every silicone guy's cock ends up, because it doesn't distribute evenly and it creates this weird thing where the shaft begins to creep up and swallow over the head. And he got it over his balls as well, and it felt like someone had surgically implanted a cantaloupe into his balls. There was no elasticity or anything, it was just this big solid cold mass in his sack."

Body dysmorphia is a hell of a thing I guess, and when you add in some manipulative rear end in a top hat and weird fetish poo poo you get a perfect storm of sheer awfulness.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Busket Posket posted:

Expounding on the ideas woven throughout: There’s definitely a frustrating tendency for even “progressive-minded” people to stick with lovely jokes like “[rabid conservative] probably has a small dick! Guys with big trucks are compensating for their teeny weenies!” and not see that they’re actively promoting gender dysphoria, even in cis men. Like… you can’t be trusted to be safe around trans/nonbinary people if you apparently think anyone with a short dick is worthy of mockery and derision.

They say “smash the patriarchy!” out of one face and “your external genitalia determine your worth!” from the other. It really sucks.

thank you for saying this because when I've expressed it as a trans man I've received "stop what-about-men-ing dude. be more secure, loser. by caring about that, you're upholding the patriarchy, if you were not a patriarchal loser you would know not to be affected by any of those insults"

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

InediblePenguin posted:

thank you for saying this because when I've expressed it as a trans man I've received "stop what-about-men-ing dude. be more secure, loser. by caring about that, you're upholding the patriarchy, if you were not a patriarchal loser you would know not to be affected by any of those insults"

I wish I had a comically large mallet to wham into anyone who says those things or make you feel that way, so I could flatten them into a pancake. It sounds like the same type of people who think anyone transmasc is a coward who’s “joining the enemy” to “make life easier” and will be magically granted Cis Male Privilege at a secret ceremony.

gently caress those people. You’re right to call them out and they’re shitasses for being so binary-focused that they see gender as Us vs. Them instead of respecting your lived experience.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy poo poo that long island serial killer mightve got got

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Holy poo poo that long island serial killer mightve got got

God drat you're right
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna94228

Droogie has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Jul 14, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I still believe that it was more than one, and the other was a cop. Nonetheless, I can’t complain, I genuinely thought it would have never been solved.

That case made me pro regulated sex work, the victims deserved so much better. The scorn some had for the victims was disgusting. I’m hoping attitudes have changed.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I wonder why he branched out to a toddler and then a man near the end? Glad they caught the fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012
Just posting to mention that the 'male' victim was found wearing feminine clothing, so the article should probably have been a bit more careful about misgendering them...

Let's hope they can finally identify all of the victims if they've got someone in custody.