Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Discord arbitrarily hosed over a lot of people whose public-facing username does legitimately matter to them, like artists and streamers. Because now the "real" one could well be username123, or therealusername, etc, instead of username simply because they lost out on that lottery.

And they did it because a minority of users had trouble with the #0000 system. Literally their explanation was "40% of users we queried had trouble understanding it". Guess what's a bigger percentage than 40%, Discord?

I prefer the old username system but I feel I should point out that UX isn't democracy. A feature that causes problems for 40% of users is a badly implemented feature. The scale here isn't most users but enough users.

Not exactly equivalent but if you read that 40% of people got cancer living near a factory you wouldn't be going "Guess what's a bigger percentage than 40%, environmentalists!"

I feel there could have been a better middleground - like I think trying to even find those 4 digits was a bit of a ballache, right? For example on the battle net app you click your name on the top right to see your numbers while in Discord you had to open discord your settings tab iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Further Reading posted:

I feel there could have been a better middleground - like I think trying to even find those 4 digits was a bit of a ballache, right? For example on the battle net app you click your name on the top right to see your numbers while in Discord you had to open discord your settings tab iirc.
Nope, just click on a person's name and it shows up on the little pop-up.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Nope, just click on a person's name and it shows up on the little pop-up.

I'm talking about your own name. The use case they mention is "how do I tell my friend my discord username" and two main barriers were finding the four digits and getting capitalisation right.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Further Reading posted:

I'm talking about your own name. The use case they mention is "how do I tell my friend my discord username" and two main barriers were finding the four digits and getting capitalisation right.

In that case click on your name in the bottom left corner. How is that different than your example of clicking the name in the top right?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Quote != edit

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 7, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Further Reading posted:

I prefer the old username system but I feel I should point out that UX isn't democracy. A feature that causes problems for 40% of users is a badly implemented feature. The scale here isn't most users but enough users.

Not exactly equivalent but if you read that 40% of people got cancer living near a factory you wouldn't be going "Guess what's a bigger percentage than 40%, environmentalists!"

You're looking at 40% of an arbitrary sample group who'd willingly participate in a survey for Discord, and extrapolating out from there.

That 40%'s not gonna be even close to actually 40% of your actual demographic. Especially when the universal response has been "What the gently caress are you doing, Discord?!"

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is not a description of anybody being hosed over

It is if you want consistent branding and visibility for your art or modelling work, or streaming socials, and someone else snags your username first.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Discord arbitrarily hosed over a lot of people whose public-facing username does legitimately matter to them, like artists and streamers. Because now the "real" one could well be username123, or therealusername, etc, instead of username simply because they lost out on that lottery.

I certainly understand the frustration at having someone snipe your username because they got ahead of you in the lottery, but also who the hell wouldn't just set a nickname on any server where their identity matters?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dude, no one gives a poo poo about your username issues on discord itt

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
lol seriously who loving cares about dumb poo poo like that

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're looking at 40% of an arbitrary sample group who'd willingly participate in a survey for Discord, and extrapolating out from there.

That 40%'s not gonna be even close to actually 40% of your actual demographic. Especially when the universal response has been "What the gently caress are you doing, Discord?!"

That's how all statistics works. It's what everything from medical testing to screen testing is based on. Is it ironic that we just had a conversation about anti-vax people being dumb and now we're using the same anti-vax talking point on the impossibility of full population testing?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is if you want consistent branding and visibility for your art or modelling work, or streaming socials, and someone else snags your username first.

This is part of why I said I prefer the old system and said I felt they should have done a better job finding a middleground. You don't need to convince me we have the same opinion.

Our only difference is that I understand that problems don't need to impact a majority of people to be a problem that needs fixing. I'm not going to defend their bad attempt at fixing, I just felt it was important to call out such a weird position as "if a majority does not have a problem it's not really a problem." If a big enough group has a problem it's a real problem that needs to be fixed. Ideally fixed in a way that doesn't cause problems for another large group, which we both agree that Discord failed to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Tadger posted:

Dude, no one gives a poo poo about your username issues on discord itt

Never said it was my problem, I was clarifying why some people were unhappy about it.

Further Reading posted:

Our only difference is that I understand that problems don't need to impact a majority of people to be a problem that needs fixing. I'm not going to defend their bad attempt at fixing, I just felt it was important to call out such a weird position as "if a majority does not have a problem it's not really a problem." If a big enough group has a problem it's a real problem that needs to be fixed. Ideally fixed in a way that doesn't cause problems for another large group, which we both agree that Discord failed to do.

Yeah, I can agree with that. :hmmyes:

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
What does everyone prefer, complaining about Discord usernames, or arguing in circles about boycotting Twitter, the Hitler site?

I will abide by the results of this poll.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
the basilisk...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pacerwpg posted:

It's funny because it's actually driving a lot of people back to 'legacy' media the thing he claims twitter is killing.
All the talk recently of the web dying as a source of useful info has got me wanting to visit my local library

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

goatface posted:

the basilisk...

:mods:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

this isn't getting hosed over. they work in an environment where every other tool they promote on has the same rule

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Discord shovelling more dumb features at me when all I want is a nice IRC gets annoying. gently caress off with your nitro no one needs that poo poo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Further Reading posted:

You could just click on your own name to see it, same as any other user name

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Submarine used for tourist visits to Titanic wreckage goes missing in the Atlantic

quote:

OceanGate announced on Twitter earlier in June that it was relying on Elon Musk's Starlink to provide internet and communications connection during the expedition. It is not clear whether communications played any role in the submersible going missing.

https://twitter.com/OceanGateExped/status/1664306619608449026

I feel bad for the 5 people on board, but who the hell trusted Musk with life-critical anything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sounds about right for the sub;

"The Titan is the only five-person sub in the world that can reach Titanic's depth, 2.4 miles below the sea. It's also the only one with a toilet (sort of).

And yet, I couldn't help noticing how many pieces of this sub seemed improvised, with off-the-shelf components. Piloting the craft is run with a video game controller.

Pogue said, "It seems like this submersible has some elements of MacGyver jerry-riggedness. I mean, you're putting construction pipes as ballast."

CBS sent a reporter on the trip last November.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-visiting-the-most-famous-shipwreck-in-the-world/

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 19, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Can we rescue them with a smaller submarine? Are there underwater caves to navigate?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You don't pay for custom controls when you're running on grant money and xbox controllers already exist. All research kit is cobbled from bits.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
i cannot fathom why people are still so interested in a dumb ship that sunk while filled with rich white people

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
holy gently caress that article AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH lmao

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There is a whole lot of :psyduck: in there, don't skip over it.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And yet, I couldn't help noticing how many pieces of this sub seemed improvised, with off-the-shelf components. Piloting the craft is run with a video game controller.

I can't speak for the rest of the construction but using a game controller doesn't really seem like a bad idea for sub controls.

Plus, if you're worried about the rest of the vehicle's construction you can just enter the Konami code to get more lives.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

goatface posted:

You don't pay for custom controls when you're running on grant money and xbox controllers already exist. All research kit is cobbled from bits.

Were they running on grant money? Oceangate is a for profit tourism expedition company.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sounds about right for the sub;

"The Titan is the only five-person sub in the world that can reach Titanic's depth, 2.4 miles below the sea. It's also the only one with a toilet (sort of).

Pogue said, "It seems like this submersible has some elements of MacGyver jerry-riggedness. I mean, you're putting construction pipes as ballast."

CBS sent a reporter on the trip last November.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-visiting-the-most-famous-shipwreck-in-the-world/

I'm a maritime historian. You could not get me onto that sub at gunpoint.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Teratrain posted:

I can't speak for the rest of the construction but using a game controller doesn't really seem like a bad idea for sub controls.

Plus, if you're worried about the rest of the vehicle's construction you can just enter the Konami code to get more lives.

Xbox controller $50, HOTAS flight sticks and peddles for equivalent level of axis: $500 it will feel a ton better but you know what would feel even more better? Actual hardware and not toys I don't have pricing. Xbox controller makes perfect sense for what do I have at hand to test this. It also makes perfect sense for someone to see the control hardware money hanging out in the account unspent and relocate it without checking what's up.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Data Graham posted:

More than that, they don't want a debate; they want likes.

Debate in the Youtube age is not point-counterpoint, obviously (because usually it's "video 1 by guy A", "video 2 of guy B DESTROYING guy A on FACTS and LOGIC", "video 3 of REACTIONS to video 2 of guy B BREAKING Guy A on his WHEEL"). But the goal of all that is just that Guy B doesn't want to win the debate so much as he wants to get lots of follows and likes and ad impressions and T-shirt sales.

Cosplaying a "debate" is just a common and successful pattern to follow in the great digital merchandise chase

It's circlejerk stuff for a very specific audience basically like a lot of tribalist echo chamber social media "content".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
pretty sure you can't blame musk for the sub disappearing, as I don't think starlink is rated for over 10000 feet of sea water

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ymgve posted:

pretty sure you can't blame musk for the sub disappearing, as I don't think starlink is rated for over 10000 feet of sea water

What if I blame him anyway

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
starlink isnt rated for sea level either from what ive heard

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Were they running on grant money? Oceangate is a for profit tourism expedition company.

From that article it's on a boat with researchers. I'm assuming it's a research sub they're using to run jollies to try and make money. Might be wrong.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ymgve posted:

Yeah, it's Starlink, not White Star link

Kale
May 14, 2010

Renreeja posted:

outside of his transphobia, this recent bullying of the expert doctor is probably the most Ive been disgustedly pissed off at elon, i always steer clear of rogan but gently caress him too. jeezus

He just seems to be getting exponentially more terrible and the embodiment of every single right wing stereotype you can think of as the twitter arc goes on. Like just a raging loving chud stereotype that makes him utterly indistinguishable from the rest of them. I still think back to this one article I read where he could have just had it easy, kept the mask on about his poo poo beliefs and personality and just ran Tesla and SpaceX and be seen as this visionary type by the public who is associated with environmentally friendly cars and the promise of space colonization even if it was just a farce, but instead made the conscious choice to throw away it all away to be right wing hack commentator on twitter #31821212. Like legit people would have blindly loved him more if he'd have just shut the gently caress up instead of ripping the mask off on what a piece of poo poo right wing stereotype he is.

I hope people start suing the loving poo poo out of him for all the orchestrated and targeted harassment and make a case of how he uses his lovely platform to retaliate against and try to defame people he disagrees with literally loving constantly. I think there's been a few examples of late where they have a really good case.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 19, 2023

.random
May 7, 2007

He’s gone full musk off

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
heres the video in better quality btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29co_Hksk6o

especially love the disclaimer you have to sign to go on board

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

holy gently caress that article AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH lmao

I lost it when it turns out they have no way of tracking where the sub is and had have the surface ship text them directions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

gschmidl posted:

What if I blame him anyway

He'll call you a pedophile