Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Veryslightlymad posted:

It was a poorly constructed attempt to be funny, as are about 95% of my comments.

In this case, because the sentence just kind of ended I treated it like a riddle, one that hearkens to the famous Zen Buddhist Koan of "What is the sound of One Hand Clapping?" (Although I think that particular one might be Japanese in origin, so it's not entirely appropriate) and made up a story about these guys bullying my unenlightened rear end, and implied my space to talk about basketball is the one place where I'm free from this torment.

Then I posted the excellent "Monks playing basketball" (And pretty drat well! Especially for in robes) tweet from the other thread, and cussed, because I now have to further face my own inadequacy.

I sometimes construct these things and they're too convoluted to be funny. I just wanted an excuse to give Dejan a teensy bit of poo poo for just... ending his sentence, except the JOKE IS ON ME because my reading comprehension is apparently poo poo and he wasn't saying that Brown had a [basketball] club where one hand was [sentence ends] he was saying Brown had a [tool for bludgeoning] where one [of his] hands was.

I appreciate this explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I understood the joke and thought it was pretty funny

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fallout

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1670555653608284164?s=20

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dejan Bimble posted:

I appreciate this explanation

2023 NBA Draft discussion – He has a [tool for bludgeoning] where [one of] his hands is.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Leonard Miller's jumper looks like when you hold down the shoot button in NBA jam and dont let it go in time so they jump up and then do a push shot as they get to the earth

I dont htink he'll be able to d up centers in his early career. He's more like a 4 who can cover jumbo wings.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 19, 2023

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Derek lively is this year's mark Williams. When was the last time a roller/rim runner came into the league and had a big impact? Jarrett Allen maybe? Funny how these guys aren't super valuable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Mark Williams rules though

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

Derek lively is this year's mark Williams. When was the last time a roller/rim runner came into the league and had a big impact? Jarrett Allen maybe? Funny how these guys aren't super valuable.

Steven Adams

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Veryslightlymad posted:

It was a poorly constructed attempt to be funny, as are about 95% of my comments.

In this case, because the sentence just kind of ended I treated it like a riddle, one that hearkens to the famous Zen Buddhist Koan of "What is the sound of One Hand Clapping?" (Although I think that particular one might be Japanese in origin, so it's not entirely appropriate) and made up a story about these guys bullying my unenlightened rear end, and implied my space to talk about basketball is the one place where I'm free from this torment.

Then I posted the excellent "Monks playing basketball" (And pretty drat well! Especially for in robes) tweet from the other thread, and cussed, because I now have to further face my own inadequacy.

I sometimes construct these things and they're too convoluted to be funny. I just wanted an excuse to give Dejan a teensy bit of poo poo for just... ending his sentence, except the JOKE IS ON ME because my reading comprehension is apparently poo poo and he wasn't saying that Brown had a [basketball] club where one hand was [sentence ends] he was saying Brown had a [tool for bludgeoning] where one [of his] hands was.

The English language can be so whimsical

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
You guys have convinced me to be terrified of both Miller and Scoot as the 2nd pick, thanks. Hornets please trade down and snag a thompson twin

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Brogeoisie posted:

You guys have convinced me to be terrified of both Miller and Scoot as the 2nd pick, thanks. Hornets please trade down and snag a thompson twin

If you're concerned about busts going after a Thompson Twin is not the way to go. Amen's a great outcome for the #4 pick, but you are definitely rolling dice.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Is there a scenario where the draft order is redone, and say the Pistons get the number 1 pick? That’s seems more fair and better for the league overall.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dadjokes posted:

Is there a scenario where the draft order is redone, and say the Pistons get the number 1 pick? That’s seems more fair and better for the league overall.

Yes, please. I don't want Wemby in my team's division (unless my team grabbed him, of course).

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Lockback posted:

If you're concerned about busts going after a Thompson Twin is not the way to go. Amen's a great outcome for the #4 pick, but you are definitely rolling dice.

I mean in terms of them all being bust risks. May as well trade down for the super athletes

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Brogeoisie posted:

Scoot is awesome

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

scoot's good it's just that teams don't value the things he's good at as far as point guards go anymore (or players in general)

Driving It To The Cup And Just Getting Buckets is a lost art

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Declan MacManus posted:

scoot's good it's just that teams don't value the things he's good at as far as point guards go anymore (or players in general)

I dunno, Ja was getting a lot of buzz midseason when he was playing well. SGA just got 1st team all-NBA. I think those guys are still valued.

Scoot is like a hyrbrid of Ja and Ant, but not necessarily the best of both. He has Ant's body just a bit shorter, his driving style but not his shot. But he has Ja's handles and vision, but he's not as slippery. I think there's plenty of archetypes that Scoot can be favorably compared against.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Declan MacManus posted:

Bad teams don't. Sure.

But in addition to what was just said about SGA, Ja, Ant, etc, Jimmy Butler was all NBA, second in the league in WS/48 this Year, and got his team into the finals.

Teams that ignore the interior are, at best, regular season teams. That's the ceiling. Slashing, midrange, and post games may be a lost art, but that just makes the guys who still have it in their bag worth more than this entire league of soft scrubs.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dadjokes posted:

That's when Beast Law is invoked and the team with the fans who want it most get the best pick

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/JTGatlin/status/1670829404736438278?s=20

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's when Beast Law is invoked and the team with the fans who want it most get the best pick

I’m down if Ben Gordon comes back and shows the fans how to just chuck whatever whenever.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
My dream is that one team makes a draft night trade and drafts both Thompson twins.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

5 for 9 and 16 seems bad but maybe you can still get a Thompson twin there?

quote:

[Fischer] Utah has been in contact with the Pistons about trading up from Nos. 9 + 16, according to league sources, with rival teams of the belief the Jazz are searching to get above Washington’s 8th pick in order to select Anthony Black. Utah has also contacted Indiana about trading into the 7th

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Remember when the Morris twins got all bitchy because they *gasp* couldn't play and start on the same NBA team

the hubris, and I'm a Kansas fan

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I dunno, for a team like the Pistons it would probably make more sense to draft a pair of the kind of high-floor talent that's usually around in the mid-lotto vs. rolling the dice on a boom-bust guy like Amen. They've got their stars

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

I dunno, for a team like the Pistons it would probably make more sense to draft a pair of the kind of high-floor talent that's usually around in the mid-lotto vs. rolling the dice on a boom-bust guy like Amen. They've got their stars

They aren't yet at a point where they need to draft for cheap depth. It is debatable if their stars are remotely good enough. Keep trying to find another star. you can always trade one for more picks to get that cheap depth, anyway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kibner posted:

They aren't yet at a point where they need to draft for cheap depth. It is debatable if their stars are remotely good enough. Keep trying to find another star. you can always trade one for more picks to get that cheap depth, anyway.

I don't think you really want Amen taking the ball out of Cade and Ivey's hands. Ausur would be cool I guess but I'd still rather have two shots

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NBA is top heavy and also not the NFL draft. Moving down a tier to take more shots at projected role players is generally not the best idea. Also the worst team in the league probably isn’t in a “let’s solidify around what we have” place

Although this year the middle of the draft is supposed to be richer than normal so this might be the year to do it. And this all goes out the window if Detroit doesn’t actually have Amen or Cam that much higher than anyone else

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 20, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

NBA is top heavy and also not the NFL draft. Moving down a tier to take more shots at projected role players is generally not the best idea. Also the worst team in the league probably isn’t in a “let’s solidify around what we have” place

Although this year the middle of the draft is supposed to be richer than normal so this might be the year to do it. And this all goes out the window if Detroit doesn’t actually have Amen or Cam that much higher than anyone else

Yeah trading into the middle of the first in this draft might be a better idea than what is usually a very very bad idea.

I do not think trading below of 20 is a good idea despite what Zach Lowe says. I do think there are some good players there but all have a flaw big enough that it is a major risk.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Yeah trading into the middle of the first in this draft might be a better idea than what is usually a very very bad idea.

I do not think trading below of 20 is a good idea despite what Zach Lowe says. I do think there are some good players there but all have a flaw big enough that it is a major risk.

Lowe is completely obsessed with the apron right now and it’s causing his brain to short circuit into a “just find a good player at 30 instead of 15 you’ll save so much money” fan thinking

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wonder if Keldon Johnson is something the Mavs would part with #10 for

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1671162811031117826?s=20

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Wonder if Keldon Johnson is something the Mavs would part with #10 for

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1671162811031117826?s=20

They're poorly run so willingness isn't easy to predict

The Spurs would probably have to take on THJr (his dad is pissing Luka off) or Bertans (stinks when not on the Spurs) too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1670241475504816130

Carmelo sighting. He looks a bit better defensively here than he did with the Lakers last year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

5 for 9 and 16 seems bad but maybe you can still get a Thompson twin there?

I like 5 for 6 and 11 much more.

9 is definitetly a risk, like you hope Hendricks is there and then you get a swing at one of the good role player guys mid draft. But Hendricks might not be there so you may end up drafting Gradey Dick when you want a 2 way wing.

But doing something CRAZY like drafting coulibaly as a long term project at 9 and then sensebaugh at 16 to shave a real shooter, I guess it could be done

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Weaver wants you to take that role player talk and stuff it
https://twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/1671222221186924551

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Forrest on Fire posted:

They're poorly run so willingness isn't easy to predict

The Spurs would probably have to take on THJr (his dad is pissing Luka off) or Bertans (stinks when not on the Spurs) too.

spurs would be over the moon to take on either of those bad contracts with a usable player on the other end of it

i don't think drafting coulibaly makes sense as he's definitely a big beneficiary of playing in lnb next to The Guy but i could be wrong; he's intriguing but as a late first rounder not as a lottery guy. i like anthony black and jalen hood-schifino more as guys to push wemby's development more (also because the spurs need a pg real bad and trading for another forward seems dumb as hell)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Weaver wants you to take that role player talk and stuff it
https://twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/1671222221186924551

That sounds like a statement against the trade down, unless they think they can mold hendricks into siakim, or mold coulibaly into reggie miller or something. or maybe GG jackson at 16

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Players working out shirtless is always neat. Time to change the rules so only home teams wear jerseys and shirts v skins is the law of the land.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
25 goddamn green room invites this year. Why not just invite everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat no Leonard Miller. What does the league know.

Also I'm just going to paste this because it's extremely funny to me that CBS thinks Jaime Jaquez is 16 spots better than Noah Clowney.

1 Victor Wembanyama France C
2 Scoot Henderson G League Ignite PG
3 Brandon Miller Alabama SF
4 Amen Thompson Overtime Elite SF
5 Cam Whitmore Villanova SF
6 Ausar Thompson Overtime Elite SF
7 Jarace Walker Houston PF
8 Anthony Black Arkansas PG
9 Taylor Hendricks UCF PF
10 Gradey Dick Kansas SF
11 Jalen Hood-Schifino Indiana PG
12 Cason Wallace Kentucky PG