Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

:laffo:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

:discourse:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Charles Barkley comes to mind, though I guess it was only 3 teams.

Even that was him wanting out of Philly because it was literally just him at that point, Suns was his serious attempt at leading a team to a ring, and the Rockets was the ring chasing. It was still 3 teams total and CP will be on his 4th team in 6 years.

2017 Rockets
2019 OKC
2020 Suns
2023 Wizards

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Kibner posted:

He's available, but it would be for an AD/Gobert type kind of haul. Not Scoot and expiring contracts.

How can you say this when a 3 time all star who averaged over 30 points a game got traded in a salary dump. Of course Scoot is the starting point but moving on from that huge contract is the real goal of such a trade. Yes the Pelicans would want a few more picks back but it won't be a Gobert or AD deal.
Anyhow it only makes sense for a few teams but Charlotte almost needs to take the risk. The franchise has never been relevant since they had Alonzo and Larry.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Blazers are in a pretty decent win-win scenario for this year as I ponder the various outcomes. The wall-to-wall media coverage on the trade Dame stuff is really annoying when there are a lot of other possibilities.

If Scoot falls to 3, a trade of one of Siakam, Ingram, Zion, or Bridges will likely be on the cards. A lot of teams are posturing, but Scoot is a generational talent. The Blazers would likely get a pick in this draft or more if Simons is the salary dump as opposed to Nurk. If the deal doesn't materialize, Scoot isn't a bad 'consolation' prize. Alternative, they could be blown away by an offer from Orlando or Houston to trade down slightly and repackage those assets.

If it's Miller, the worst case is you have a 6'9 wing who can shoot and is a perfect fit at the 3 as a role player next year with major upside. Sharpe / Miller / Grant would be by far the best wing group Dame has played with since Batum / Aldridge. Miller would be in a good spot to contribute right away without being asked to do too much. The organizational goal would be playoffs next year with a hope Miller & Sharpe take big leaps in years 2 & 3. They'll both need to lift a lot of weights to get there. Dame would then be in a nice position of being on a contender while not needing to be the one carrying the team offensively to prolong his career. Sharpe & Miller are both excellent off-ball coming around screens, taking catch-and-shoot 3s, and have high feel for the game.

Either way, some combination of Simons, Little, Keon, & 23 should net a decent big. I'd personally target a S&T with Porzingis. Washington would get a pick and a young PG who still has all-star upside for an expiring contract.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1670865901388693506?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Is it just me or is Masai guilty of liking his own guys a little too much?

Though I don’t see the Raptors as a contender, they just really a need a stronger option at PG to orchestrate for everyone else

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

feel like using the Heat as a benchmark is a bit stupid.2/3rds of the league probably think they're on equal footing.

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1670867664388882432?s=20

If this Sopan was a real reporter he'd learn that his kid only found out from his bully

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the raptors arent contenders but i guess they are on equal footing cause the heat arent either

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1670865901388693506?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Though I don’t see the Raptors as a contender, they just really a need a stronger option at PG to orchestrate for everyone else
Masai is guilty of wanting to keep his job.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Masai is in absolutely no danger of losing his job.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chilihead posted:

How can you say this when a 3 time all star who averaged over 30 points a game got traded in a salary dump. Of course Scoot is the starting point but moving on from that huge contract is the real goal of such a trade. Yes the Pelicans would want a few more picks back but it won't be a Gobert or AD deal.
Anyhow it only makes sense for a few teams but Charlotte almost needs to take the risk. The franchise has never been relevant since they had Alonzo and Larry.

Because the Pels would rather just keep him if they didn't get a return like that, despite the headaches.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah. There's this weird thing in NBA media where folks pretend that keeping and playing an all-star is a totally untenable position for some teams. Far better to trade them for some pocket lint.

Mean Baby posted:

Blazers are in a pretty decent win-win scenario for this year as I ponder the various outcomes. The wall-to-wall media coverage on the trade Dame stuff is really annoying when there are a lot of other possibilities.

If Scoot falls to 3, a trade of one of Siakam, Ingram, Zion, or Bridges will likely be on the cards. A lot of teams are posturing, but Scoot is a generational talent. The Blazers would likely get a pick in this draft or more if Simons is the salary dump as opposed to Nurk. If the deal doesn't materialize, Scoot isn't a bad 'consolation' prize. Alternative, they could be blown away by an offer from Orlando or Houston to trade down slightly and repackage those assets.

If it's Miller, the worst case is you have a 6'9 wing who can shoot and is a perfect fit at the 3 as a role player next year with major upside. Sharpe / Miller / Grant would be by far the best wing group Dame has played with since Batum / Aldridge. Miller would be in a good spot to contribute right away without being asked to do too much. The organizational goal would be playoffs next year with a hope Miller & Sharpe take big leaps in years 2 & 3. They'll both need to lift a lot of weights to get there. Dame would then be in a nice position of being on a contender while not needing to be the one carrying the team offensively to prolong his career. Sharpe & Miller are both excellent off-ball coming around screens, taking catch-and-shoot 3s, and have high feel for the game.

Either way, some combination of Simons, Little, Keon, & 23 should net a decent big. I'd personally target a S&T with Porzingis. Washington would get a pick and a young PG who still has all-star upside for an expiring contract.

Well put. I agree that the Blazers have lots of good options with a nice safety net of making the number 3 pick. Nothing puts them in reasonable contender status, but it should be pretty easy to get into the playoffs and try to be competitive. The only way to really gently caress things up is trading Dame for table scraps.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 19, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Blazers also don't need to panic right now. Probably best to wait and see who falls, and they don't even need to make decisions on draft day either. It's not a bad place to be in. But while I am not as down on Miller as others are around here, but I think if Scoot falls they have lots more directions.

Personally, if they can get Scoot, I think you trade Lillard and maybe Simons (and Nurk but lol good luck) and look for a 2-3 year rebuild around your guards. If Scoot isn't on the table, I think you field more offers for either the pick or Miller to try to get a couple year window, especially since immediately the parity makes it seem like you can be a good playoff team with just a little push.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

They need to field lineups of more than 2.5 guys that can shoot.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If Isiah Thomas is pulling the strings in Phoenix, the Bulls need to try to swindle him again, get Eddie Curry on the horn.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Top three picks almost never get dealt and when they do it typically looks like the Luka/Trae or Fultz/Tatum challenge trades. The chance of grabbing a star is too good for the team holding on to the pick and the chance of whiffing is too big for the team dealing for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

Top three picks almost never get dealt and when they do it typically looks like the Luka/Trae or Fultz/Tatum challenge trades. The chance of grabbing a star is too good for the team holding on to the pick and the chance of whiffing is too big for the team dealing for it.

I think this is spot on, though I'd say teams like the Blazers are also not usually in the top-3. However, if I could I'd bet on the pick staying.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I could see Lillard being more valuable next year, Bucks Heat, Clippers and Lakers draft coffers will have stuff in them again and we might know what the next TV deal looks like already and teams will actually have the CBA (according to Lowe they still don't have the complete copy!).

I guess there's a possibility that everyone decides the second apron is too scary and there isn't a TV deal yet or the bird flu thing happens and the league is shut down again but waiting seems like the best option.

Not exactly what Lillard wants though, but he's lying in a bed he made.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Dang seems like a deal hasn't been made in forever. I'm ready for more deals.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mdemone posted:

FOR THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS OVER 14 SEASONS

LBJ has nearly twenty more WS than MJJ in the playoffs. It could be a very, very long time before someone else comes close to that.

kingcobweb posted:

Just remembered that Jokic isn’t one of the 75 best NBA players of all time.

He'll probably make the top 100 list in the mid 2040s.

Big three. Holy :lol:.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Red Rox posted:

That’s interesting! Is the RC percentage calculated compared to last season? Or is that through this whole season? They seemed a lot more stable than 51%.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/continuity.html

It's the percentage of a team's regular season minutes that were played by players who were on the team the previous year.

There's a slightly more complicated version called roster stability where you also take into account the minutes each player played on the team the previous year but it usually doesn't change the numbers too much. The Nuggets had 50% RS% vs. a 51% RC% this year. Nearly identical but depending on the minutes distribution the percentage difference between RS% and RC% can be much more significant.

There's also the issue that Jamal Murray missed all of 2022 but wasn't a brand new addition to the team. So these things can be calculated across multiple seasons too. Another more precise measurement would be how many 3/4/5 man lineups were identical across two seasons.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Honestly serious question, has Beal EVER played PG? I'm seeing Suns fans talking about a lineup involving Beal at PG and am like :confused:

According to BBR ~10% of his minutes have been at PG.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WRT Damian Lillard on the Heat. The Heat defense is already bad enough.

BWV posted:

feel like using the Heat as a benchmark is a bit stupid.2/3rds of the league probably think they're on equal footing.

And none of those teams have their own Butler III clone. These teams are confused.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Bradley Beal's agent is the father of the Suns CEO.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Other than that, just another reminder of how incestuous the business side of pro sports is.

It's the whole world. There are knuckleheads going around saying we living in a meritocracy and then you find out many elite positions are filled with direct relatives of the c-level guys. Some of these sports teams might as well be kakistocracies.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Kibner posted:

They've been doing it for like 6 years now.

It's almost as if they don't want to trade him

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chicago Bulls urged to trade DeMar DeRozan: ‘He’s walking’
https://sports.yahoo.com/chicago-bulls-urged-trade-demar-170054983.html

Dejan Bimble posted:

If this is true, it's really funny to me that without the sense of security of his original gun, he turned to a novelty lighter for naughty teens, and kept it on his person

Flashing real guns and then swapping them out for novelty guns and laser pointers. :eyepop:

DeimosRising posted:

I do not think 2023 Beal is even an upgrade on 2023 CP3, and he’s not even healthier

It's a Blockbuster video store deal.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

OH WORD SON posted:

It's almost as if they don't want to trade him

yup

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpgejsZ_HWA

TikToker finds loophole, becomes eligible for 2023 NBA Draft
https://ktla.com/morning-news/tiktoker-finds-loophole-joins-nba-2023-draft/

GordonComstock posted:

Is there any other player like Chris Paul? A historically great player who’s played on so many different teams? It’s got to be a huge knock on him that so many teams decided he couldn’t be the guy. Looking at WS only Shaq jumps out for also being on so many teams towards the top. But he was also clearly cooked for his last two.

Artis Gilmore played for four teams.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah the Raptors are basically the Heat except we're lacking enough people who can shoot, play defense, a proven head coach, and Jimmy Butler

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Has there ever been a successful big three where one of the three didn't take a big step back as a scorer and contributed in other ways instead? Because KD/Booker/Beal sure as poo poo don't have the skillset to do that unless CP3 has been successfully teaching Booker everything he knows about being a point guard.

Here are the ultimate big three teammates (sorted by average WS):

code:
CHI 91-92
Michael Jordan		17.7
Horace Grant		14.1
Scottie Pippen		12.7

AVG = 14.83

CHI 95-96
Michael Jordan		20.4
Scottie Pippen		12.3
Toni Kukoc		10.1

AVG = 14.26

CHI 90-91
Michael Jordan		20.3
Scottie Pippen		11.2
Horace Grant		10.3

AVG = 13.93

LAL 71-72
Wilt Chamberlain	15.8
Jerry West		13.3
Gail Goodrich		12.3

AVG = 13.8

UTA 96-97
Karl Malone		16.7
John Stockton		13.6
Jeff Hornacek		10.2

AVG = 13.5

MIA 10-11
LeBron James 		15.6
Dwyane Wade 		12.8
Chris Bosh		10.3

AVG = 12.9

UTA 95-96
Karl Malone		15.1
John Stockton		13.0
Jeff Hornacek		10.2

AVG = 12.76

PHO 04-05
Amare Stoudemire	14.6
Shawn Marion		12.5
Steve Nash		10.9

AVG = 12.67

UTA 94-95
John Stockton		13.9
Karl Malone		13.8
Jeff Hornacek		10.1

AVG = 12.6

PHO 06-07
Steve Nash		12.6
Shawn Marion		12.0
Amare Stoudemire	11.2

AVG = 11.93

HOU 17-18
James Harden		15.4
Clint Capela		10.2
Chris Paul		10.2

AVG = 11.93

BOS 72-73
John Havlicek		12.1
Dave Cowens		12.0
Paul Silas		11.5

AVG = 11.86

LAC 13-14
Blake Griffin		12.2
Chris Paul		12.2
DeAndre Jordan		11.1

AVG = 11.83

ATL 96-97 
Mookie Blaylock		12.5
Christian Laettner	11.6
Dikembe Mutombo		11.3

AVG = 11.8

SEA 94-95
Detlef Schrempf		12.9
Gary Payton		11.7
Shawn Kemp		10.6

AVG = 11.73

LAL 10-11
Pau Gasol 		14.7
Kobe Bryant 		10.3
Lamar Odom 		10.1

AVG = 11.7

BOS 83-84
Larry Bird		13.6
Kevin McHale		10.5
Robert Parish		10.5

AVG = 11.53

BOS 80-81
Cedric Maxwell		11.0
Robert Parish		10.9
Larry Bird		10.8

AVG = 10.9

DEN 76-77
Bobby Jones		11.0
Dan Issel		10.9
David Thompson		10.7

AVG = 10.86

CLE 88-89
Mark Price		11.3
Larry Nance		10.3
Ron Harper		10.2

AVG = 10.6

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The Heat really needs size and not a score-first guard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BWV posted:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1670867664388882432?s=20

If this Sopan was a real reporter he'd learn that his kid only found out from his bully

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1670868456495775769

Why do teams not immediately text/call a traded player right after the agreement is made but before it leaks as completed?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Well put. I agree that the Blazers have lots of good options with a nice safety net of making the number 3 pick. Nothing puts them in reasonable contender status, but it should be pretty easy to get into the playoffs and try to be competitive. The only way to really gently caress things up is trading Dame for table scraps.

If next year is like this year was, non-contenders are gonna make up 2 conference finals spot and 1 finals spot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zogo posted:

Here are the ultimate big three teammates (sorted by average WS):

I feel like this is telling me the answer to my question is "no"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah the Raptors are basically the Heat except we're lacking enough people who can shoot, play defense, a proven head coach, and Jimmy Butler

It's a Jimmy-type end of game scorer specifically that they need.

But, anyway, I guess that's an indication that VanVleet is likely back. Do they have any shot and keeping all three of him, Trent, and Poeltl? They were pretty far over the cap at the end of last year, weren't they?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonesOnTheNBA/status/1670579777990979584

https://twitter.com/JonesOnTheNBA/status/1670886133839044608

The implication is that this year is the all-in year, then Phoenix looks at its options around Ayton's contract in 2024-25.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 20, 2023

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ChickenMedium posted:

This dance they are doing where the Blazers pretend to not want to trade Lillard and Lillard pretends to not want to be traded is getting increasingly hilarious and desperate.

"we tried"
"and i'm okay with that"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mods change my name to people formerly close to Ja

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1670823435256176640?s=20

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's interesting and generally makes more sense.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Spacebump posted:

why do teams not immediately text/call a traded player right after the agreement is made but before it leaks as completed?

for the tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

“Player and those close to him think the media has been totally fair to them” would be an actual story