Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

SlowBloke posted:

I'm fairly confident that Chrysler has even worse brand value than Yugo nowadays. It would make the situation worse.

The only comparison that matters here is Chrysler's value vs Dodge. And I'm pretty sure that's going to be, absolute worst case, "equal".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chrysler has a weird trend of introducing one new car every decade that people actually want and go out of their way to buy that keeps the brand afloat

SlowBloke posted:

I'm sorry to break the news to @hadlock and crush his heart but the CEO of Citroen just announced that Stellantis is going to make his brand their equivalent to Dacia, scarcely equipped shitboxes just below the prices of normal cars.

:negative:

r.i.p. any future possibility of a new DS or traction avant

Citroen needs to release a new Traction Avant but based on the 7 series/Phantom chassis :colbert:

e:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 17, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

r.i.p. any future possibility of a new DS or traction avant

Well they are selling more cars under the DS branding than Citroën so i'm doubtful they would have made a new DS with a Citroën logo.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
New rule stellantis: for every new brand you gotta kill 2 old ones

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

moon demon posted:

New rule stellantis: for every new brand you gotta kill 2 old ones

I mean, FCA has a long list of dead brands and so does PSA. If they wanted they could reactivate one dead brand every year by your rule and go on for a long time. I would happily buy a Zastava made in Kragujevac for old times sake.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Panhard or Omega-Six would be great brands to bring back

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/sponsored-content/stunning-omega-six-last-survivor-a-great-french-marque

Any Panhards should be rear wheel drive with solid axle and include a panhard bar :colbert:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Integra Type S review vids are being posted. The wide body looks really good.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

phosdex posted:

Integra Type S review vids are being posted. The wide body looks really good.

I really don't understand why they didn't throw an automatic transmission in there.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

I really don't understand why they didn't throw an automatic transmission in there.

:psyduck:

God forbid we have a nice, reasonably quick sedan with an actual clutch pedal...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

On Terra Firma posted:

Honda has some pretty nice transmissions around, unlike BMW. Half of why BMW manuals are dead is that they were always bad.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

It's called good taste.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

:mods:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

On Terra Firma posted:

Probably for the same reason the GR Corolla makes a big deal about not having an auto.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

Probably ‘cause the only option seems to be a CVT which is admittedly not bad in the 1.5t and NA2.0, but would probably suck for sportier intentions. I do wish Honda would put a dual clutch in to it but alas, that will probably never happen

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

chupacabron posted:

Probably ‘cause the only option seems to be a CVT which is admittedly not bad in the 1.5t and NA2.0, but would probably suck for sportier intentions. I do wish Honda would put a dual clutch in to it but alas, that will probably never happen

Why have Honda and Toyota never shipped a car with a DCT anyway? Is it long-term reliability concerns, which I know Toyota is really worried about, or something else? Hell, Honda has DCTs that they put in their motorcycles, why not cars?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

Why have Honda and Toyota never shipped a car with a DCT anyway? Is it long-term reliability concerns, which I know Toyota is really worried about, or something else? Hell, Honda has DCTs that they put in their motorcycles, why not cars?

The 2016-2019 NSX had a DCT and so do a few Acura in the 2014-2018 period. The conventional autos seems to have become as good with lot less maintenance/warranty issues.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

chupacabron posted:

I should have said put an auto as well as opposed to going stick only.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Thank god its stick only. Its going to be hard enough to get one anyway, can you imagine trying to shop around and finding out 3 out of every 5 made were autos?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

On Terra Firma posted:

I perfectly understand. Because it would be poo poo

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The ITS is the perfect car for my use case but the price is hard to stomach, and I don't seem to be the only one thinking that. I wonder how much of that is because we know it's FWD. Also, I'm guessing people who buy CTRs tend to be OK with spending money on track driving as a hobby. Dropping a lot for a street car is a different value framework. I certainly couldn't afford to finance it now with rates being what they are.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

blk posted:

The ITS is the perfect car for my use case but the price is hard to stomach, and I don't seem to be the only one thinking that. I wonder how much of that is because we know it's FWD. Also, I'm guessing people who buy CTRs tend to be OK with spending money on track driving as a hobby. Dropping a lot for a street car is a different value framework. I certainly couldn't afford to finance it now with rates being what they are.

For what it's worth, I have a CTR and have no intention of taking to the track. It's more than good enough as a daily driver.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I love the way it looks.
Where they lost me was features and price. Im not paying $50K+ for a car with no ventilated seats or 360 camera option.
Its ok though. They will sell every single one without me. They will be ok and come out of this just fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
50k and up is astoundingly hard to swallow, holy poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Yeah. :smith:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
$50k+ and I have to change my own gears?

No thanks :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Its' $58k Canadian which is only $44k US. The exactly same price as a 330i x-drive.

Japanese companies seem to be keeping their prices a little lower. A base model WRX is $32,495 CAD which about 24,600 USD. The BRZ is 30,495, or about $23k USD.a V6 challenger costs $12k more than a BRZ

It doesn't make it any more affordable with stagnating wages, but Ford is charging $33k for the Maverick. Jeep wants $40k for a Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee, just the basic rear end dodge dart wagon

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Could be worse. Not availible here at all.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

You can spend like 80k CAD on an M340i XDrive and still not get cooled seats. BMW is really stingy about that on its lower models.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

Both the last gen TLX and ILX had Honda made DCTs. The Honda DCTs had torque converters, which defeated the entire purpose of a DCT aside from sidestepping the need to build their own torque converter autos and getting into IP entanglements with existing transmission makers. Honda came up with their own completely different hybrid system to get to about the same performance as a Prius for the same reason - they like building things in-house even when outsourcing it makes more economic sense.

DCTs were a thing that Ferdiand Piech pushed because he wanted to get away from having to buy automatic transmissions from third party suppliers. The biggest maker of automatic transmissions is the world is a Toyota subsidiary. It didn't work because DCTs are a dumb dead end technology and VWs today still use Toyota automatic transmissions.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

You can spend like 80k CAD on an M340i XDrive and still not get cooled seats. BMW is really stingy about that on its lower models.

I have a guy with an F31 that I'm interested in that has the sport seats but I'm 99% sure they aren't heated. BMW does the weirdest poo poo with some of their packages/options on the 3 series.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Throatwarbler posted:

Both the last gen TLX and ILX had Honda made DCTs. The Honda DCTs had torque converters, which defeated the entire purpose of a DCT aside from sidestepping the need to build their own torque converter autos and getting into IP entanglements with existing transmission makers. Honda came up with their own completely different hybrid system to get to about the same performance as a Prius for the same reason - they like building things in-house even when outsourcing it makes more economic sense.

DCTs were a thing that Ferdiand Piech pushed because he wanted to get away from having to buy automatic transmissions from third party suppliers. The biggest maker of automatic transmissions is the world is a Toyota subsidiary. It didn't work because DCTs are a dumb dead end technology and VWs today still use Toyota automatic transmissions.

Can confirm, my Jetta has an Aisin 8 speed transmission.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kraftwerk posted:

Can confirm, my Jetta has an Aisin 8 speed transmission.

It's market dependent - VAG Europe is still the dry clutch 7 speed in most models

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

DCTs were a thing that Ferdiand Piech pushed because he wanted to get away from having to buy automatic transmissions from third party suppliers.

I thought the VW DSG was designed and built by BorgWarner?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s definitely built in a VW plant in Kassel, Germany along with other gearboxes. I believe the mechatronics unit is BorgWarner, though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lmao, you can get cooled seats in a RWD ecoboost mustang and have better performance and gas mileage for $15-20k less. I know, I know, apples and oranges, completely different market segments, but it deserves to be said.

They’re almost the same size, the mustang weighs a few hundo more, and it still has better performance numbers. There’s a difference of 10hp (favors ITR) and 40 lbft (favors Mustang). But that’s about it. Sure sure, usable back seats, but that’s not why folks buy performance cars.

Just crazy, this stupid world we’re living in

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

It boggles my mind every time I play the game "does it or doesnt it" when it comes to various cars and their availability of Ventilated Seats.
The recent shockers for me were some of the Volvos, and as mentioned some of the BMWs. It seemed like for a bit this was becoming more mainstream option wise. Then Covid supply chain constraints showed up and now its back to being a pain in the rear end to get. Or they quietly deleted the option and it never came back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Lmao, you can get cooled seats in a RWD ecoboost mustang and have better performance and gas mileage for $15-20k less. I know, I know, apples and oranges, completely different market segments, but it deserves to be said.

They’re almost the same size, the mustang weighs a few hundo more, and it still has better performance numbers. There’s a difference of 10hp (favors ITR) and 40 lbft (favors Mustang). But that’s about it. Sure sure, usable back seats, but that’s not why folks buy performance cars.

Just crazy, this stupid world we’re living in

On the other hand, a FoRS was high 30's - low 40's MSRP back in 2016, so with inflation it doesn't seem that unreasonable for this to be mid 40's.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The two must have features I think I have are automatic temp control and CarPlay

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

KillHour posted:

On the other hand, a FoRS was high 30's - low 40's MSRP back in 2016, so with inflation it doesn't seem that unreasonable for this to be mid 40's.

Except it's not mid 40s, it's low 50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Car journalists are giving the ITS a proper fellat, so lol at 4k annual production

I know it’s a bit smaller, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen more people comparing it to the Golf R, which seems to hit a similar balance of fast/comfy/price-point. They’re also actually attainable.