Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Alan Smithee posted:

Russia’s answer to decoy tanks

Russia used a tank

well yeah it's a waste of money to make something else that does the same job

what do you mean the pencil's graphite flaked off and damaged the computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Kinda-sorta relevant to the thread; Oryx is closing up shop.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1670723829713215489

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That’s a shame. Guy did some really impressive OSINT work but I can totally see how it would wear one down after a while, let alone ten years of it. I hope his next endeavors make him happier.

This is an intense video (CW: intense CQB, combatants being shot even if blurred and no gore) of Ukrainian SOF clearing a Russian trench near Zaporizhzhia. I’m struck by how well built the trench seems and also by how the Russians had no idea that the Ukrainians were right on top of them, which I feel simultaneously points to why the counteroffensive is producing limited gains so far and also how the Russians still continue to suck on a tactical level.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bit surprising, given that ISW's donations have gone through the roof since they started offering their daily assessments, and this has allowed them to hire more staff and expand the scope of their analyses to include other regions. Maybe Oryx just failed to realize how to run a successful non-profit?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s a shame. Guy did some really impressive OSINT work but I can totally see how it would wear one down after a while, let alone ten years of it. I hope his next endeavors make him happier.

This is an intense video (CW: intense CQB, combatants being shot even if blurred and no gore) of Ukrainian SOF clearing a Russian trench near Zaporizhzhia. I’m struck by how well built the trench seems and also by how the Russians had no idea that the Ukrainians were right on top of them, which I feel simultaneously points to why the counteroffensive is producing limited gains so far and also how the Russians still continue to suck on a tactical level.

Some of the anecdotal evidence coming out of interviews with PoWs has suggested that MAXPROs are a major gamechanger since they carry a larger number of infantry than the HMMWVs, have improved protection from RPGs and mines, and can drive quickly. Rather than advancing dismounted across the last 100 meters, the attacking force can roll right up to the trench after the initial artillery barrage and hop in.

psydude fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 19, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oryx categorically refused to keep any money donated to their Patreon, choosing instead to send the money onwards to charities that could do some good with the cash. He hoped for a career, not an unreliable source of income.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

psydude posted:

Bit surprising, given that ISW's donations have gone through the roof since they started offering their daily assessments, and this has allowed them to hire more staff and expand the scope of their analyses to include other regions. Maybe Oryx just failed to realize how to run a successful non-profit?

oryx has some bad health problems and had a major health scare a few months ago so there's likely some connection to that. but yeah probably that too, idk if oryx was ever really monetized whatsoever outside of a couple of donation links that, iirc, he actually often discouraged people from donating to. a bunch of osint people seem to have an expectation that someone is going to track them down and hire them out of the blue which uh definitely does not seem to be grounded in anything at all.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

Oryx categorically refused to keep any money donated to their Patreon, choosing instead to send the money onwards to charities that could do some good with the cash. He hoped for a career, not an unreliable source of income.

And now they're closing up shop, which does no good for anybody.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

psydude posted:

If he doesn't feel up to continuing, it's good for them to stop. Really that's the bottom line, though hopefully someone picks up the torch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

If he doesn't feel up to continuing, it's good for them to stop. Really that's the bottom line, though hopefully someone picks up the torch.

Well that's kind of my point. If he'd taken the BrownMoses approach then he could have hired other people to continue the good work instead of getting burned out and having to throw in the towel.

Just an unfortunate missed opportunity. But if the guy doesn't want to carry on, then so be it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

psydude posted:

It does good for them. Pay or no, the work has been burning them out. I will miss the information that they share, but I am happy for them realizing the way of the knife.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

Probably why it’s at a crawl. In low gear with a brick on the throttle.

Seems like you were largely correct --- a previous SV-how-you-spell it based on an MT-LB had a somewhat primitive control method:
https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1670696609024204800

(What was rendered in summary as "fixing the controls" in the original text uses the expression that's roughly "manual throttle"; maybe y'all who know how that thing drives can say more accurately what it means; supposedly had a RC detonator, though)
Edit: actually a different incident!

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 19, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Imagine being the poor conscript who has to drive 300 meters on top of several tonnes of explosives. That has to be a bowel-loosening experience.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if they were smart they would drive it to within 299 meters of the front, just out of range of the javelin

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

That would be hard. The big value add from Oryx is that he was really good at recognizing repeat photos of the same kills. This is important, because Russian channels are still being flooded with photos of Ukrainian tanks that were destroyed a year ago. If you haven't already seen 20 photos from different angles of each tank, and memorized them, you can't really do what he did.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Well that's kind of my point. If he'd taken the BrownMoses approach then he could have hired other people to continue the good work instead of getting burned out and having to throw in the towel.

Just an unfortunate missed opportunity. But if the guy doesn't want to carry on, then so be it.

He'd also be living a life of enduring even more death threats as mentally ill basement dwellers become convinced he's taking CIA money to start wars. I don't blame him for not wanting to turn this into a real operation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is an intense video (CW: intense CQB, combatants being shot even if blurred and no gore) of Ukrainian SOF clearing a Russian trench near Zaporizhzhia.

Man those russkies were not loving paying attention. Everyone just wandered into the line of fire WHERE SOMEONE ELSE WAS JUST MOWED DOWN.

Ah well, gently caress em.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Wasabi the J posted:

Man those russkies were not loving paying attention. Everyone just wandered into the line of fire WHERE SOMEONE ELSE WAS JUST MOWED DOWN.

Ah well, gently caress em.

I've given up on trying to understand any of their decision making. Too many things just make me shake my head and say what the gently caress were you thinking.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I figure trench fighting is probably just hard, especially with the sleep depravation etc from being in that area.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dandywalken posted:

I figure trench fighting is probably just hard, especially with the sleep depravation etc from being in that area.

A competent fighting force has drilled at least enough for you to sleepwalk away from bang bangs

Experience: a couple days cumulative throughout my career, avoiding bang bangs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This "drill" stuff sounds like it might be for homos. Now take this old AT rifle.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nessus posted:

This "drill" stuff sounds like it might be for homos. Now take this old AT rifle.

Time spent training is time not spent hazing, and we know which of those the Russian army likes better.

:smith:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

According to reporting, this was an SSO raid that hit from the rear, adding to the confusion.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Claim is KA-52 ejected external tanks and... did this somehow.

Vid here.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What's the question?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

in theory those sorts of weapons can still be used to disable optics and the like, even on a modern tank like the 2A6.

in practice its gonna be pretty dangerous to do so in the face of those same optics, for limited and uncertain success.

Vahakyla posted:

Number 1 is the Thermal sight and night sight for the gunner. It has armored doors. But lets assume the whole square would be a critical damage zone for the PTRS: You ain't loving hitting it from more than 50-100 meters, and you will never ever take your PTRS that close to a hostile tank. And that 100 meters is when I assume the tank is NOT:

-Firing back
-Moving
-Obscured by smoke (smoke that blinds you but not it)

OKAY BUT! Let's assume you did hit it, and let's assume the round did indeed render it inoperable.

The hole numbered "2" is the gunner's backup sight. it's not thermal, but it'll give you a run for your money. Are you gonna hit that, too? Also 3 and 4 are also optical sights of their own kind, either for the commander's own sight that can slave the gun to it, or the fiftycal/240/249 or whatever they have up there to it.

But also the square box looking things at Number 1, it isn't a critical damage area. It has an armored shield, and the glass is armored.
The driver's vision slits are armored, too, there's a good chance that if you'd be Texas Pete and somehow nail those tiny little glass slits, that they'd leave a dent and maybe a crack and that's it.

There is no role for the PTRS against modern armor. None. Zil. Nilch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Claim is KA-52 ejected external tanks and... did this somehow.

Vid here.

Pilot fat-fingered the ejection buttons

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Tiny Timbs posted:

Pilot fat-fingered the ejection buttons

dunno why we even have an ejection button for the vertical stabilizer but I guess it's too late to ask the designers

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah the chunk of tail flying off is what surprised me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah the chunk of tail flying off is what surprised me.

That's not very typical, I'd like to make that point.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Man that Cav Scout NCO at Knox is gonna be pissed when finds this out.

when I did basic light at Ft. Knox, some Cav Scout NCO went on a unprompted rant about how Cav scouts aren't useless against tanks because they can just shoot out the optics on armor and scoot away before anyone knows what's up. I just nodded and said nothing because I wanted to finish whatever I was doing and go eat without getting gently yelled at.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I don't know why they would design a helicopter that can do that

Does it regrow its tail

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

McGavin posted:

Ironically, recontacting with dropped bombs/tanks and losing parts of or whole tails is in fact something that has happened often enough that you might call it typical. There's an amazing montage of American incidents like it on youtube, but sadly I can't find it right now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Are they built to some standards?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Tuna-Fish posted:

Ironically, recontacting with dropped bombs/tanks and losing parts of or whole tails is in fact something that has happened often enough that you might call it typical. There's an amazing montage of American incidents like it on youtube, but sadly I can't find it right now.

His post was a bit referencing the Australian comedy skit about the front of an oil tanker falling off.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

Are they built to some standards?

Some of them are built so that the tail doesn't fall off at all.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Hekk posted:

His post was a bit referencing the Australian comedy skit about the front of an oil tanker falling off.

I am aware, which is why it's also funny that it is kind of a typical accident.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Some of them are built so that the tail doesn't fall off at all.

So what happened to this one?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rust Martialis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs

Drop stuff but stuff gets some lift and hits you.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Much like a lizard letting its tail go to avoid a predator, the helo can’t help but be a dark copy of good wholesome nature itself. One of its natural predator (the MANPAD) got but a taste of the prey it sought, and will have to recoup its energy loss elsewhere now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really don't think anyone in the US forces is in a position to talk about silly helicopter designs that actively try to kill their occupants.

e: unless they're trying to sell one