Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

A billionaire is (or.. was?) On board...
Means more resources will be thrown at the search, I'd assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nenonen posted:

This sounds absolutely nuts - apparently there was a "European sex championships" event in Sweden organized by "Swedish Sex Federation". Sex workers across the continent were invited to participate. Despite the claims that it would make sex into a sport, it really was more of a Big Brother type reality show where viewers voted for their favourite contestants. In the end none of it worked and the organizer didn't even pay the participnts.

Anyway, the OSHA part comes in when some of the participants asked the organizer, a strip club owner named Dragan Batic, if everyone's STD tests were okay, he was dumbstruck. Then it turned out that one male participant didn't have the HIV test done, but Batic nevertheless demanded that everyone goes ahead to have sex anyway because laboratories were closed. Absolutely :stonk:

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/world-news/2023/06/13/6488bf1646163f9e048b45d5.html

Anyway this is the man

He was sentenced in 2018 for tax and accounting offenses and was banned from running a business for five years, which expired this year. I guess the lesson is if you ever get invited to European Sex Championships in Sweden, google the organizer's name and google translate the first Swedish article that comes up.

Literally fake news: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_sex_competition_hoax
Although of course it would have been cool if it was real, Ruotsi #1!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body, and could result in physical injury, emotional trauma, or death."

looks like a very high quality submersible!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The USS Rustoleum, to quote an under-rated movie.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

$250k to ride that carbon fibre tube to the bottom of the ocean! No loving thanks. There are cheaper ways to commit suicide.

Next trip gonna cost even more cos you get to see two wrecks

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Here is another video tour of the Titan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkytJa0ghc

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 19, 2023

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
That submarine doesn't even look like it's full of journalist body parts

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

There's a rather interesting difference between these two datasheets:

https://oceangate.com/pdf/oceangate-titan-1.pdf
https://www.oceangate.com/pdf/oceangate-titan-specs-lr.pdf

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/oceangate-raises-18m-build-bigger-submersible-fleet-get-set-titanic-trips/ posted:

OceanGate will take advantage of lessons learned during the construction of its carbon-hulled Titan submersible, which was originally built for Titanic journeys. Rush said tests that were conducted at the Deep Ocean Test Facility in Annapolis, Md., revealed that the Titan’s hull “showed signs of cyclic fatigue.” As a result, the hull’s depth rating was reduced to 3,000 meters.

“Not enough to get to the Titanic,” Rush said.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

James Cameron has himself a whole new movie to make

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
111 years later, Titanic gonna claim some more victims.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

speaking of subs remember when that eccentric rich guy with his own rickety sub murdered a journalist in it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kim_Wall

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

speaking of subs remember when that eccentric rich guy with his own rickety sub murdered a journalist in it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kim_Wall

it makes me mad that most of the people doing cool poo poo in space turn out to be creeps.

I actually followed Copenhagen Suborbitals in the early days but nooooo, apparently being space adjacent makes you far more likely to be a turbochud or murderer.

that dude from New Zealand next, mark my words, he's got them crazy eyes, and you seen that haircut?!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sub designer remarked "“I’m not quite sure yet what happened. Many things, I think. There’s a whole bunch of factors that creeped in on this one that we just didn’t know about. Obviously subs do implode faster than Newton said.”

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sub designer remarked "“I’m not quite sure yet what happened. Many things, I think. There’s a whole bunch of factors that creeped in on this one that we just didn’t know about. Obviously subs do implode faster than Newton said.”

*Fellow Sub designer nearby, working on the same design, looks up feom his work, puzzled*
"Who's Newton?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

kalleth posted:

it makes me mad that most of the people doing cool poo poo in space turn out to be creeps.

it's super expensive to do space stuff, and there is very little to do in space that isn't already being done by governments, except for sending billionaires on vacation. if you have the resources to do stuff in space, that money could be better spent in a million different ways on earth if you have a conscience.

also it kills me that the FAA changed the definition of an astronaut literally days before bezos went up in his weenus rocket from "a person who has flown above the karman line" to "a person who has flown above the karman line and performed activities in flight that contributed to flight safety." dude can buy a rocketship ride but he can't buy the title of astronaut. lmao

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 20, 2023

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We're going to need some tiny coffins.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JPrime posted:

James Cameron has himself a whole new movie to make

Instead of the heart of the ocean necklace, they'll send a dive team to retrieve the skull of the billionaire

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Instead of the heart of the ocean necklace, they'll send a dive team to retrieve the skull of the billionaire
insurance needs it to pay out the death and dismemberment policy

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

ruddiger posted:

hrm does this mean some old lady will have been holding on to it for decades?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JPrime posted:

hrm does this mean some old lady will have been holding on to it for decades?

Little Mermaid sequel going in an unexpected direction.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Little Mermaid sequel going in an unexpected direction.

look at this stuff, isn't it neat?

sebastian: ew, god no

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

The Bananana posted:

*Fellow Sub designer nearby, working on the same design, looks up feom his work, puzzled*
"Who's Newton?"

physics are for libtards

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

kalleth posted:

I actually followed Copenhagen Suborbitals in the early days but nooooo, apparently being space adjacent makes you far more likely to be a turbochud or murderer.

that dude from New Zealand next, mark my words, he's got them crazy eyes, and you seen that haircut?!

CS-O had basically scrubbed that guy from any involvement years before the 2014 date that wikipedia cites. They had been trying to get his name away from the project since like... late 2010 iirc, but it took almost 3 years for the legal battle to get his name off of the ownership papers. He was toxic from the get-go, but it was hard to get any outside sponsorship other than him at first, and by the time he killed Kim Wall he'd been ousted legally and socially from the project for almost 6 years.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Phanatic posted:

It's not uncommon to repurpose old cemeteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tO0xwSsco

Some "fun" facts about the filming of that movie, particularly the pool scene!

quote:

In real life, JoBeth Williams, the actor who played Diane Freeling, didn’t want to film the scene, according to Screen Rant. Things were already weird on set. One of the other actors who played the middle Freeling boy, Robbie, was strangled by a clown. The prop was designed to make it look like he was being strangled by an evil clown toy, but it malfunctioned and began to strangle him for real. Steven Spielberg had to pull the clown off of him.

Williams was reluctant to go into the water while surrounded by so many lights. If one of them fell in, she would be electrocuted. Spielberg convinced her by jumping in himself, and saying “now if a light falls in, we’ll both fry!” But he still wasn’t completely honest with Williams about the scene. She didn’t know that the skeletons that would float up around her were real skeletons, not fake props.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

FuturePastNow posted:

looks like a very high quality submersible!

Columbian drug lords have put more effort into submersibles.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Bananana posted:

A billionaire is (or.. was?) On board...
Means more resources will be thrown at the search, I'd assume.

They're super loving dead. There's very little that can go wrong at that depth without killing you.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Necrosaro posted:

Here is another video tour of the Titan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkytJa0ghc

Holy poo poo, there were five people crammed into this deathtrap?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s pretty roomy by deep dive submersible standards, the really hardcore ones are spheres of about the same diameter

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Lone Badger posted:

They're super loving dead. There's very little that can go wrong at that depth without killing you.

mhm. i'd put money down that in the next few days or weeks some research institution will announce that their hydrophone network picked up the sound of an imploding pressure hull.

for a rough idea of the likely effects on the occupants of the submarine, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

:whitewater:

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
The Byford Dolphin would actually be the inverse of this, since it was above the waves when it went pop.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Delta p is a bitch.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I dunno, people usually say that it sucks or blows but that really depends on your frame of reference

vvv:
This, but more explosive in multiple meanings of the word (gore reproduction warning)

https://youtu.be/LEY3fN4N3D8

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 20, 2023

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
It'd more like Coffey's scene in the Abyss. Compressed into a pea. Possibly so quick that they may have very briefly ignited. Something something ideal gas law.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
They got a leak and drowned before crush depth.

The got a leak and lost pressure and got crushed before they could think it.

They lost power and could not go up and ran out of air.

The lost power, killed the others first, and ran out of air.

Or one person is rescued and the others all “died” from being in a small enclosed system with a billionaire. A common story of our times.

Probably will be made into a Black Mirror episode.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 20, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

deoju posted:

Delta p is a bitch.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Look I swear I was just doing a little aerospace assembly around the house, and it was kind of hot so I took all my clothes off, and suddenly I slipped and completely by accident landed right on my swaging drill. And then I was so surprised, as I was flailing around I accidentally hit the trigger. Three or four times.

Easiest poop ever, setup was a little uncomfortable.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

UraniumAnchor posted:

It'd more like Coffey's scene in the Abyss. Compressed into a pea. Possibly so quick that they may have very briefly ignited. Something something ideal gas law.

Humans are mostly water, I’m not sure you can compress them that far.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Management posted:

Humans are mostly water, I’m not sure you can compress them that far.

Maybe you can’t. I am a neutron star. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

deoju posted:

Delta p is a bitch.

I mean, if I had to die at that depth, this is the option I'd pick. loving pulp me into slurry, fam. It's better than something like the Kursk, trapped and slowly suffocating in complete darkness.