Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Ceiling fans are pointless. Fans in general are a waste of space/energy.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

In Training posted:

I print out PDFs of books I'm reading bc I can't do screen reading.

Have you tried e-ink? I know someone who also couldn't screen read for longer than 15 minutes at a time, and an e-ink reader worked miracles for them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JamMaster Flash posted:

Totally wrong about the fans, homie. AC uses way more resources.
Living in Melbourne (and, before that, central Victoria) I've spent more of my life living without AC than with, and when I have had it I don't really use it anyway. I'll put it on if I have people over, but for myself it's not worth it. And fans are more annoying than helpful, in my experience.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Brimruk posted:

Minimum wage + tips

I think you mean - tips

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

Living in Melbourne (and, before that, central Victoria) I've spent more of my life living without AC than with, and when I have had it I don't really use it anyway. I'll put it on if I have people over, but for myself it's not worth it. And fans are more annoying than helpful, in my experience.

melbourne doesn't get very hot, tbf

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wasn't it on fire recently or was that Sydney

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shame Boy posted:

Wasn't it on fire recently or was that Sydney

buddy thats everywhere

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

my dad posted:

... how do you prepare meat and potatoes if you don't have an oven? Do you just deep fry it all while yelling God Bless America or something?

Conveniently, microwave is really bloody useful for heating up leftovers of oven baked food without having to worry about burning them. (Also great for soups, stews, etc)

Personally I'd make soup.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Y'know, you kind of reminded me that, because goons, I should clarify that you warm up a plate/bowl of soup/stew in the microwave, you do not use it to actually cook soup/stews, you prepare them elsewhere. Please don't try to cook soup in a microwave.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Do however make oatmeal in the microwave. It's so much easier.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Absolutely bizarre priorities.
  • Ovens can be used to make (and reheat) many foods and also perform the function of a toaster - better in many cases.
  • Ceiling fans are pointless. Fans in general are a waste of space/energy.
  • I've never even seen a garbage disposal. Maybe they're life-changing once you experience them. I doubt it.
  • A dishwasher is nice to have, but it's hardly essential.
  • A fireplace is a massive pain in the arse. One more thing making it difficult to place your furniture where you want it to make best use of the space. And I'm never going to actually light a fire in it.
  • Immersion blender is handy, sure. Not essential, but good to have. A food processor is much more useful though and can be used for most of the same purposes.
  • Toasters are just a part of the oven only they take up more space on the bench. I'd never own one. Air fryer is, again, just replicating functionality of the oven but taking up more space. If you want a small, separate oven for the increased efficiency, get a micro-convection. Those things are fantastic.
  • Rice cookers are the dumbest kitchen appliance I've ever heard of. What's so difficult about putting a saucepan on the stove? It's the simplest possible thing to cook. How could you possibly need an extra device for this?
  • You left out the kettle. I don't know if that was an oversight or not, but a kettle is essential.

What on earth. I haven't seen a list of shittakes since I quit using Facebook.

1) oven:toaster::aircraft carrier:20' johnboat. Firing up an oven to toast bread is a colossal waste of energy, and toasters aren't even that big.
2) attic fans and box fans work well in many climates during early and late summer, and they consume far less energy than an air conditioner. My attic fan cools my entire house down to the ambient outdoor air temp and maintains it there using 700 W on high or 350 W on low. Compare this to 2800 W for an AC. Also, ceiling fans reduce climate control by properly mixing air in rooms; not too much help with an AC but a godsend with heating, where frequently your warm air gets trapped at the top of a room.
3) Disposals and dishwashers aren't essential, no, but that's literally the case for every appliance. Disposals mean more food waste goes to a waste reprocessing plant where it'll eventually become fertilizer, and dishwashers have saved millions of hours of labor, usually female, since they were invented. Both are good, use them if you can.
4) rice cookers require zero attention. They automate an annoying part of cooking, and in my experience they produce perfect rice 100% of the time. Also, they yet again automate labor, mainly done by women. I seem to see a small pattern here.
5) Finally, you recommend a loving kettle after making GBS threads over all these time-saving devices, which can be replaced by a saucepan, or even a microwave? Bizarre reasoning.

Edit: oh you're Australian, that makes more sense. Not your comments, just why you think like that.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

my dad posted:

... how do you prepare meat and potatoes if you don't have an oven? Do you just deep fry it all while yelling God Bless America or something?

Conveniently, microwave is really bloody useful for heating up leftovers of oven baked food without having to worry about burning them. (Also great for soups, stews, etc)

you braise it in a pressure cooker on the stove. microwave is for left overs and that thing where you scramble an egg into equal amounts of broth to make egg pudding. most left overs are better reheated stove top though so you can pretty much ditch it if you don't eat that egg thing

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Absolutely bizarre priorities.
  • Ovens can be used to make (and reheat) many foods and also perform the function of a toaster - better in many cases.
  • Ceiling fans are pointless. Fans in general are a waste of space/energy.
  • I've never even seen a garbage disposal. Maybe they're life-changing once you experience them. I doubt it.
  • A dishwasher is nice to have, but it's hardly essential.
  • A fireplace is a massive pain in the arse. One more thing making it difficult to place your furniture where you want it to make best use of the space. And I'm never going to actually light a fire in it.
  • Immersion blender is handy, sure. Not essential, but good to have. A food processor is much more useful though and can be used for most of the same purposes.
  • Toasters are just a part of the oven only they take up more space on the bench. I'd never own one. Air fryer is, again, just replicating functionality of the oven but taking up more space. If you want a small, separate oven for the increased efficiency, get a micro-convection. Those things are fantastic.
  • Rice cookers are the dumbest kitchen appliance I've ever heard of. What's so difficult about putting a saucepan on the stove? It's the simplest possible thing to cook. How could you possibly need an extra device for this?
  • You left out the kettle. I don't know if that was an oversight or not, but a kettle is essential.

I think most dishwashers need garbage disposals and together save a lot of labor after cooking which saves relationships

air fryer can move more heat per second than any other appliance besides deep fryer, which is too dangerous and specialized to use at home, and wastes a lot of oil. air fryer also doesn't use gas

I just turn the ceiling fan on in the room I'm in and open windows and delay using my AC for months

I can agree rice cooker is pointless unless you already have one in which case you will use it all the time because you'll have a less crowded stove for making the stuff which goes on the rice and it's fool proof and more energy efficient. if you don't make rice a few times a week then its skippable, don't clutter the countertop

I did say it took too long to realize the power of kettles

to the rest, fair point

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Jun 19, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
i keep a ceiling fan pretty much all year for the air circulation. I can't sleep in my room without the fan on low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhPQfHaTWw

George is right

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Jun 19, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gonna need more goons to weigh in with long bulleted lists of their individual appliance takes

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Everyone it should get rid of their phone, computers, webtv boxes and anything that connects to the internet immediately

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As long as we all agree that my terrasse heater and sprinkler are essential

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

Everyone it should get rid of their phone, computers, webtv boxes and anything that connects to the internet immediately

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

please do this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

• bread machine - s tier, everyone should have one. makes better bread than anything prepackaged in the bread aisle
  • oven - s tier, versatile and an absolute necessity, though you can get along with just a hot plate if you must
  • deep fryer - a tier, don't let the bleeding heart liberals tell you this is dangerous. its no more dangerous than a penny in the fusebox or a DIY home security system. i keep mine going 24/7 for easy access to tendies and fries
  • microwave - b tier, not bad but makes everything mush. use your oven instead.
  • knife block - b tier, not traditionally considered an alliance but with some aftermarket additions, it's as mechanical as anything else
  • dishwasher and garbage disposal, c tier. promotes lazy children and antinatalism
  • magic bullet - d tier, the only reason it isn't f tier is that it did manage to kill jfk but didn't have the power to then kill connolly, will reevaluate after the planned upgrades in the next version
  • refrigerator - f tier, promotes "modern" lazy lifestyles by allowing food to be stored longer. all food should be bought and prepared daily for maximum freshness. don't even get me started on the so-called "freezer"
  • mop - f tier, completely unnecessary as my socks absorb any dirt or grime on the floor and can be discarded once their absorption power is depleted

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Americans are seemingly just discovering electric kettles but the real genius move is getting one of the asian water boilers/dispensers. You just always have perfect temperature water available.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

You can get taps here in the UK that dispense:

Standard mixer tap got or cool water
Boiling water
Cold, sparkling water

I'd be so terrified of selecting boiling while washing my hands or some poo poo, though

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my kitchen has appliances, but not too many, and they are all useful

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Amphigory posted:

Boiling water
Cold, sparkling water

I'd be so terrified of selecting boiling while washing my hands or some poo poo, though

We considered getting one of those but they are obscenely expensive

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Amphigory posted:

Boiling water
Cold, sparkling water

my apartment in college had a sink with two faucets, one hot (from the boiler that the radiator style heaters used) and cold water. it sucked

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

PoundSand posted:

Americans are seemingly just discovering electric kettles but the real genius move is getting one of the asian water boilers/dispensers. You just always have perfect temperature water available.

kettles don’t really work that well in the US because of the low residential voltage (takes twice as long to bring to a boil)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

PoundSand posted:

I think you're over-estimating the demand for single serving hot water in the average American's day-to-day.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

spacemang_spliff posted:

my apartment in college had a sink with two faucets, one hot (from the boiler that the radiator style heaters used) and cold water. it sucked

are you sure it wasn't a vacuum cleaner?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Weatherman posted:

are you sure it wasn't a vacuum cleaner?

oh you

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Charles Ingalls posted:

kettles don’t really work that well in the US because of the low residential voltage (takes twice as long to bring to a boil)

You need to stop repeating this stupid bullshit. Kettles work perfectly fine in the US. The extra minute and a half it takes to boil a liter is a total non-issue.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

MisterOblivious posted:

You need to stop repeating this stupid bullshit. Kettles work perfectly fine in the US. The extra minute and a half it takes to boil a liter is a total non-issue.

are you seriously breaking out the trope about kettles “working fine,” on juneteeth of all days? you need to revisit your dei training and apologize for the harm you are perpetrating

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My favorite kitchen appliance is my dog, its advanced AI allows it to mostly perfectly keep out of my way while assuring I never have to reduce myself by leaning over to pick up any scraps of food I've dropped. Plus, the ones that require the least maintenance are the cheaper off brands. It's also got an alternate mode where it jumps directly onto my balls if I'm playing Elden Ring in the living room and get to phase 2 on any boss

Az I'm surprised you haven't gotten an invitation to Knife Bloc yet, you didn't miss the part of the requirements where you have to go to an axe throwing place with a BAC above 0.10 did you?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Epic High Five posted:

My favorite kitchen appliance is my dog, its advanced AI allows it to mostly perfectly keep out of my way while assuring I never have to reduce myself by leaning over to pick up any scraps of food I've dropped. Plus, the ones that require the least maintenance are the cheaper off brands. It's also got an alternate mode where it jumps directly onto my balls if I'm playing Elden Ring in the living room and get to phase 2 on any boss

Az I'm surprised you haven't gotten an invitation to Knife Bloc yet, you didn't miss the part of the requirements where you have to go to an axe throwing place with a BAC above 0.10 did you?

Something must be wrong with mine, it's collision avoidance never works and then it doesn't even clean up half the stuff that gets dropped while it's in the way

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

Well poo poo, looks like I'm gonna get tore up after work.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

If only there were an excited youtube man that could explain this in a like 20 minute video

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh that one was a whole 24 minutes 54 seconds actually lmao my mistake

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Charles Ingalls posted:

eh. japan and taiwan use a lot of hot water and they're fine with it too

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Tiggum posted:

[*]Ceiling fans are pointless. Fans in general are a waste of space/energy.

If you don't notice a difference have you tried making the fan go faster

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ebola Roulette posted:

If you don't notice a difference have you tried making the fan go faster

Seems like a good way to get your head chopped off when the fan pulls the ceiling down on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dog Case posted:

Something must be wrong with mine, it's collision avoidance never works and then it doesn't even clean up half the stuff that gets dropped while it's in the way

For heavier duty or mixed jobs like it sounds like you're doing, it's sometimes smart to get an auxiliary dog to cover all inputs. This can also solve the pathing issues you're running into but I'll be honest, it's likely to just make them worse.