Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Discussion Quorum posted:

Supposedly the sub will automatically drop its ballast after 24 hours. The follow up question to that would be if something has gone wrong and the pilot is still conscious, why was it not done immediately? Or was it, but the sub is entangled or the ballast didn't drop cleanly? I guess in a best case scenario the thing will bob up sometime tonight or early tomorrow morning and someone aboard can answer that question.

The article above makes a big deal out of this particular sub's ballast being surplus steel pipes or whatever. They obviously fit the requirement of being heavy but I wonder if they did test drops with the sub in odd attitudes, like, I dunno, maybe if it was tangled on a wreck?

IIRC the Trieste used iron balls held up by an electromagnet. If the sub lost power, the magnet would switch off and the balls would drop. Out of the sub. Stop being juvenile.

From that article that was posted, it doesn't sound like the Sub has a very robust communications array or the means of actually transmitting it's location. The whole thing seems very slapdash and stupid. Even if the sub was miraculously surfaced and on dry land, they would have no means of egressing because the only way to exit is to have a person outside the submarine remove a series of bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

stealie72 posted:

I know this is the kind of attitude I look for from the company that's going to take me to a depth where I will be instantly liquefied if something goes wrong:

"...inside, the sub has about as much room as a minivan. It has one button. "That's it," said Rush [the company's CEO]. "It should be like an elevator, you know? It shouldn't take a lot of skill." "

It puts me in mind of that libertarian that bought a cruise ship and immediately began lamenting how regulated the marine industry was, much like nuclear power and aviation

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hannibal Rex posted:

They got the fully immersive Titanic experience they paid for.

Heyooooooo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

From that article that was posted, it doesn't sound like the Sub has a very robust communications array or the means of actually transmitting it's location. The whole thing seems very slapdash and stupid. Even if the sub was miraculously surfaced and on dry land, they would have no means of egressing because the only way to exit is to have a person outside the submarine remove a series of bolts.

The part about having no GPS was an eye opener. Not because of having no GPS, but because apparently they don't have any other means of navigation or even the instruments to navigate via dead reckoning or, well, anything other than relying on text relay from surface sonar.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Grip it and rip it posted:

I almost received my Deep Submergence warfare pin right before I left the Navy, which I think qualifies me to say:

AAAAAHHHHH! This is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard of, what the gently caress.

There is no reward great enough to justify the risk of getting onboard a hoakie rear end homemade deep-diving submersible with explicitly no certification. I didn't know this was a thing until I saw the NYT article, and it doesn't surprise me even a little that they lost the craft.

Just an unfathomably stupid idea, you couldn't pay me $250,000 to get on that thing.

E:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The part about having no GPS was an eye opener. Not because of having no GPS, but because apparently they don't have any other means of navigation or even the instruments to navigate via dead reckoning or, well, anything other than relying on text relay from surface sonar.

Yeah, no GPS is obvious, but INSs are pretty cheap these days, absolutely insane they didn't have one as at least a reference.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If we are taking bets, mine is that - seeing as apparently you get bolted in - the gasket/seal didn't seat correctly and the sub became a water tank

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I think that's a good bet.

I'll go with the CF hull didn't get thoroughly inspected between dives, delaminated and the whole thing popped like a beer can.

General rule of thumb is if a submersible stops communicating, and doesn't immediately surface, everyone is dead, or will soon be dead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

I almost received my Deep Submergence warfare pin right before I left the Navy, which I think qualifies me to say:

AAAAAHHHHH! This is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard of, what the gently caress.

There is no reward great enough to justify the risk of getting onboard a hoakie rear end homemade deep-diving submersible with explicitly no certification. I didn't know this was a thing until I saw the NYT article, and it doesn't surprise me even a little that they lost the craft.

Just an unfathomably stupid idea, you couldn't pay me $250,000 to get on that thing.

Hell, like I said in another thread, you couldn't get me into that thing at gunpoint.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I've almost died while submerged enough for one lifetime, I'd take the bullet.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I wonder if that Billionaire's heirs will buy the owner of the submarine company some champagne for accelerating their inheritance. Hopefully he's donating everything to charity.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I think that's a good bet.

I'll go with the CF hull didn't get thoroughly inspected between dives, delaminated and the whole thing popped like a beer can.

General rule of thumb is if a submersible stops communicating, and doesn't immediately surface, everyone is dead, or will soon be dead.

How would you even know? The article seems to imply the sub only receives and doesn't have any means of active communication with the surface.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How would you even know? The article seems to imply the sub only receives and doesn't have any means of active communication with the surface.

Which is mind numbingly terrifying.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Missed that part I guess.

JFC

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Futurama suicide booth is already here. It just isn’t evenly distributed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm not sure where that came from, because the BBC article specifically says

quote:

Contact with the submersible was lost about one hour and 45 minutes into the vessel's dive, the US coast guard said.

"When the support ship is directly over the sub, they can send short text messages back and forth. Clearly those are no longer getting a response," Mr Pogue said.

so it certainly sounds like it is capable of two-way communication.

It would also absolutely need some way to communicate back if it's doing relayed instructions; somehow it has to know where to go, which you can only determine by knowing where it is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

I'm not sure where that came from, because the BBC article specifically says

so it certainly sounds like it is capable of two-way communication.

It would also absolutely need some way to communicate back if it's doing relayed instructions; somehow it has to know where to go, which you can only determine by knowing where it is.

I was going off the article posted earlier which talked about receiving direction from the mothership. As to knowing where it is, I was working off the assumption they were using surface sonar for location. It's difficult to know more because there's very little info available, but I'm extrapolating from the talk of it having "only one button" and a minimum of equipment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It has so many buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkytJa0ghc

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

This is some serious goon zipline energy, except they actually sent living human beings down it.

For just $250,000 we'll send you to the bottom of the ocean, killing you.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Regular subs don't use construction pipe and game controllers for vital components.

Uhhhh

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/18/17136808/us-navy-uss-colorado-xbox-controller

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I barely trust composite pressure vessels that are made by firms with decades of experience and revenues in ten figures.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

a controller for 2 special periscopes. while periscopes are important they are not something that would stop you from surfacing.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
yeah that thing is a deathtrap

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was wrong, you'll have to forgive me for not giving a techbro's floating sarcophagus the slightest shred of credit

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Elviscat posted:

It's about 2,100 fathoms, actually.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

McNally posted:

And that's my giggle of the day

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ded posted:

a controller for 2 special periscopes. while periscopes are important they are not something that would stop you from surfacing.

yes yes but saying that real submarines don't use xbox controllers when they very much do is inherently hilarious

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

It knows this because it knows where it isn't, by subtracting where it is from where it isn't or where it isn't from where it is....

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

McNally posted:

Goddamnit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey congrats Elon your child killing submarine is no longer the dumbest techbro submarine

Nor the one with the highest killcount

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey congrats Elon your child killing submarine is no longer the dumbest techbro submarine

Nor the one with the highest killcount

Gotta give him credit for the assist.

https://twitter.com/Starlink/status/1666911689344962576

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Maybe the orcas figured out who was in the sub.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Maybe they went back in time to destroy the Nord Stream pipeline.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kesper North posted:

yes yes but saying that real submarines don't use xbox controllers when they very much do is inherently hilarious

i think you need to re-read what you quoted

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kesper North posted:

It's for ease of use, there's redundant controls for both the photonics masts. It does highlight some stuff about this stupid tourist submarine though.

Ship control on those VA class submarines is done via joystick, which makes it the first class of submarine in the US to not use direct physically linked controls.

Those joysticks are $50,000 a piece, there are two of them, they are both redundant to each other, while also having internally redundant electronics. If you replace one it requires a mountain of Quality Assurance paperwork (I've been QA oversight for a replacement). All vital functions from both those joysticks also have mechanical backup systems for use in an emergency, and watchstanders are trained on how to override the controls. If you put me in one of those engine rooms I could probably remember how to take the planes in hand and recover from a jammed dive, even 6 years later.

Operating a vessel deep under the water is not something to gently caress around with with an uncertified toy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

:lol:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

IIRC the Trieste used iron balls held up by an electromagnet. If the sub lost power, the magnet would switch off and the balls would drop. Out of the sub. Stop being juvenile.

Yeah, this- I have a sinking feeling that we’re all heading for deep sixers if we don’t have a Titanic improvement in the level of discourse here. Let me float an idea- I know we’re all trying to decompress but would it really be so crushing not to sink to these depths? Jokes about dead billionaires are just the tip of the iceberg.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The more I read about that "submarine" the worse it is. They could not pay me enough money to go down in that thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe they picked up the Heart of the Ocean and fell victim to its curse.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ded posted:

i think you need to re-read what you quoted

i think you need to re-read what my OP quoted :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kesper North posted:

i think you need to re-read what my OP quoted :colbert:

you are dumb and bad

quote:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:
Regular subs don't use construction pipe and game controllers for vital components.

vital components
vital components
vital components