Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It is crazy how much you can make if you're one of the top podcasts. NADDPOD pulls in 80-205k a month according to graphtreon. That's 960k-1.6 mil a year.

I'd be surprised if Dropout has dozens of full time employees though. I'd bet the actual Dropout staff is pretty small, and then all the production folks and talent are contracted per show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

It is crazy how much you can make if you're one of the top podcasts. NADDPOD pulls in 80-205k a month according to graphtreon. That's 960k-1.6 mil a year.

I'd be surprised if Dropout has dozens of full time employees though. I'd bet the actual Dropout staff is pretty small, and then all the production folks and talent are contracted per show.

They employee camera people who won't help fight the bourgeoisie even for 20 dollars!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if your project makes around a million in revenue a year i think you're doing quite well for yourself, but i do wonder how big the actual take-home amount is -- like patreon takes its cut (something like 8%?), federal/california corporate/personal taxes, paying all costs including whoever else you pay to help with production, hosting, distribution, etc, then split 4-5 ways

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 19, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eke out posted:

if your project makes around a million in revenue a year i think you're doing quite well for yourself, but i do wonder how big the actual take-home amount is -- like patreon takes its cut (something like 8%?), federal/california corporate/personal taxes, paying all costs including whoever else you pay to help with production, hosting, distribution, etc, then split 4-5 ways

Yeah, this is my thought. Assuming it's a full even split, you're looking at least 5 ways (if we're only counting one producer/editor, I'm guessing they have at least one other behind the scenes guy), with something like a 6th split going for like hosting / advertising / equipment, and administrative slop like the patreon fees. A 2 million a year operation would amount to about 330k per person per year before taxes. Mind you it's a good amount of money, even with LA costs of living, but it's not what I would consider wealthy to the degree that you could look to buy out part of dropout, since that was what was mentioned up thread.

The hell of being a work a day actor, even in the dimension 20 side is that the money is pretty inconsistent. Jasmine Bhuellar mentioned in her last interview with Brennan that between all of her gigs she makes way less in front of the camera than she does behind it. I imagine having WBN and NADDPOD and the like are huge lifesavers for these people because it's a consistent living wage that gives then the time and space to do stuff like be on D20 for less than they could probably hope for.

If it were me in that position that got into a windfall like that, I'd be socking away as much as I could for the next lean season.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 19, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You also can’t just like, walk up to a private company and say “I will be buying some please”.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

eke out posted:

Of course it's more complicated than "split all incoming money between 5-6 people" which is why I specified revenue rather than net or profit. But (as someone who was living in SoCal less than a year ago) that's a drat good living if you're sensible enough not to immediately, like, buy a Lamborghini and a too-big house at a ridiculous markup.

Awkward Davies posted:

You also can’t just like, walk up to a private company and say “I will be buying some please”.

No obviously, but Brennan and Sam are besties and have been working really hard together on Dropout with Brennan as the only full-time employee, so it just occurred to me that it could be an option. I was offered the chance to buy into a business after like eighteen months of working there, it's really not all that far out of the question if Brennan wanted to buy like a 5% or 10% share over a few years.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i bounced off the prequel series on patreon and never listened but the first couple episodes of the proper campaign of WBN have really hooked me

particularly brennan's commitment to the fox familiar bit

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eke out posted:

i bounced off the prequel series on patreon and never listened but the first couple episodes of the proper campaign of WBN have really hooked me

particularly brennan's commitment to the fox familiar bit

Fox is probably the best character bit he's probably ever done. Which is really funny considering the voice is extremely neutral.

I'm 6 episodes in and I'm still trying to peg what class Ame is. Suvi and Usulon are both obviously wizard and paladin respectively, but Ame so far has basic spellcasting and the familiar, but not any specific class mechanics. I keep thinking like they are going for something like a Pathfinder style Witch given the sentient talking familiar and the support-but-not-really-cleric style caster. She didn't really get much of a fight out of her in the first combat considering how fast she got smoked.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 20, 2023

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

DeathSandwich posted:

Fox is probably the best character bit he's probably ever done. Which is really funny considering the voice is extremely neutral.

Agreed, we love the fox and can't wait to be emotionally shattered by his eventual destruction.

quote:

I'm 6 episodes in and I'm still trying to peg what class Ame is. Suvi and Usulon are both obviously wizard and paladin respectively, but Ame so far has basic spellcasting and the familiar, but not any specific class mechanics. I keep thinking like they are going for something like a Pathfinder style Witch given the sentient talking familiar and the support-but-not-really-cleric style caster. She didn't really get much of a fight out of her in the first combat considering how fast she got smoked.

She's the Witch class. It's a custom class they had built just for this adventure. I believe they're going to release it eventually but want to wait until we get to see a little more of it in action.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I found this video pretty interesting. Conversation between Sam and Dave from Nebula about how their companies are similar/different and the development and future of each company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3v-2BHC1w

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I was driving when he demanded a vote; drat near lost it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rougey posted:

I was driving when he demanded a vote; drat near lost it.

It's just like the right amounts of being really well spoken, really clever and mischievous, and not understanding what words mean that does it. "I don't know what that is but I think I want it" as a personality type.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I just finished Worlds Beyond Number episode 9 and holy poo poo. Things in this city seem bad beyond the likes of which a group of level ones can hope to fix. The group is extremely not in harmony, Suvi is about to reap what she has sown with regards to flippantly pushing wizard flexes and is tasked to bring to order a situation that is far outside of her control. Ursulon is quite literally lost in the sauce, and Ame is having her hand forced by the fox to go through with her original plan to try and deal with the extremely angry nature spirit beyond the city.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I love Fox.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

DeathSandwich posted:

I just finished Worlds Beyond Number episode 9 and holy poo poo. Things in this city seem bad beyond the likes of which a group of level ones can hope to fix. The group is extremely not in harmony, Suvi is about to reap what she has sown with regards to flippantly pushing wizard flexes and is tasked to bring to order a situation that is far outside of her control. Ursulon is quite literally lost in the sauce, and Ame is having her hand forced by the fox to go through with her original plan to try and deal with the extremely angry nature spirit beyond the city.

I love how the derrick is just peak Brennan. A combination analogy for whaling, bear bile farming, climate change and WMDs? I'm honestly impressed he was able to cram all of that in there.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
How do you listen to WBM? The website is absolutely terrible and uninformative, doesn't have any actual links.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

How do you listen to WBM? The website is absolutely terrible and uninformative, doesn't have any actual links.

Download a podcast app of some kind, search for "Worlds Beyond Number" in it. Here's a few decent ones I've used before:

Web and every other platform: Spotify

Win 10: Grover Podcast

Android: Google Podcast or Pocket Casts. (I listen to a lot of podcasts on the go, so I use GP for talk shows and stuff and PC for rpg shows.)

Linux, iOS: just type in "podcast" in their store or google "best free podcast app for X"

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 26, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Overcast is a good option for iOS podcast listening.

gently caress spotify.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

grate deceiver posted:

It’s also on YouTube.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Grant is out for blood this season of Breaking News

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

did ... did they give him all the episodes? cause that sets some expectations :p

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I recall he's always written a pretty large proportion of the episodes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
From what I understand, he's the person that came up with the concept. I may be completely wrong, of course.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate that they gave Li'l Raph their own counter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

really looking forward to the brennan roast, if current trends continue

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Ahhhnew D20 was so cute!

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

dungeons and drag queens first episode was really great.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm watching it now, I really appreciate how quickly everyone picked up on the 'Yes, and...' nature of Dimension20 games.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this is the most brennan intro ever

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"Mark Ronson" only ever being referred to as "legendary American music producer Mark Ronson" is a bit that I will never tire of

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Froghammer posted:

"Mark Ronson" only ever being referred to as "legendary American music producer Mark Ronson" is a bit that I will never tire of

Um actually...
Mark Ronson is British.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Alaska Thunderfuck channeling Gorgug via Cindy from Rock & Rule.

Bobulus posted:

I'm watching it now, I really appreciate how quickly everyone picked up on the 'Yes, and...' nature of Dimension20 games.

Easier to teach improv folk to D&D than teach D&D folk to improv.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Particularly since drag queens are natural roleplayers.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I loved it. Nice watching a more lighthearted d20 after the last one. I was wondering if wrangling four drag queens would be a challenge for Brennan, but he's really good at letting players have just enough fun before moving things along.

Bob seemed like the most prepared with a solid understanding of the character and spells, but the others did great too. Jujubee seemed a little intimidated or something at first, but it didn't take long for her to get into it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The vibes on this new campaign are loving immaculate and the yes-anding is delightful.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is still the place to talk about Worlds Beyond Number, right? I'm behind on the main campaign, but I listened to the Country Affair one-shot, and it made me cackle out loud multiple times. I'm glad I listened while driving so no one could see me.

Erika is GMing a heist campaign (farm animals plotting to steal some corn from a Fair), and I almost feel like the others were taking a little advantage of her being new to a GM. She let them get away with... perhaps too much, but in a really fun way. I suppose you don't need to worry about power creep in a one-shot... Let's just say that Aabria is playing the literal Devil in goat-form, and she's probably the least-sinister of the trio.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Bobulus posted:

This is still the place to talk about Worlds Beyond Number, right? I'm behind on the main campaign, but I listened to the Country Affair one-shot, and it made me cackle out loud multiple times. I'm glad I listened while driving so no one could see me.

Erika is GMing a heist campaign (farm animals plotting to steal some corn from a Fair), and I almost feel like the others were taking a little advantage of her being new to a GM. She let them get away with... perhaps too much, but in a really fun way. I suppose you don't need to worry about power creep in a one-shot... Let's just say that Aabria is playing the literal Devil in goat-form, and she's probably the least-sinister of the trio.

It's pretty goddamn delightful.

Erika is absolutely -not- prepared to contain the chaos, but it comes across as hilarious and charming because the other three are such good performers. And I love what she's doing, regardless- fun to see new folks DM. Everything with the laptop and the business plan and the study made me pause the drat recording because I was laughing so hard.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
This new episode of "Make Some Noise" is Brennan, Ross Bryant, and some other guy who is in no way prepared to be in the same room as those two lunatics.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Wanderer posted:

This new episode of "Make Some Noise" is Brennan, Ross Bryant, and some other guy who is in no way prepared to be in the same room as those two lunatics.

Not at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
He did okay with the movie prompt