Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

I remember seeing a psycho on reddit saying that clearly since totk improves on botw in so many areas that it's actually the REAL game the botw developers wanted to make, but nintendo forced them to release something incomplete, and replacing the shrines and putting in the zonai is the original True Vision for botw.

So there are levels of game connection stupidity that have yet to be plumbed.

lol someone in this thread called totk a "botw DLC"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, and required viewing for any timeline discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-25c8Rsobw

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's literally a legend, we're going through a retelling of an ancient story that may or may not have happened as any of the retellings have told. Each version is told by a different storyteller who likes different parts of the story they learned and adds new wrinkles to entertain their audience.

This makes more sense to me than trying to shoehorn things into a timeline that was written between ten and 35 years ago and may have simply been spun from whole cloth when the developers realized they could get nerds to pay money for it.

But I kind of like timeline discussion, as conspiracy theorists go y'all are more palatable than the birds aren't real folk.

MorningMoon posted:

Just a lot of gloom that comes out every few centuries due to build up.

You gotta open the gloom valve every so often when you're using your castle, can't let it build up

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
the answer is link has head trauma at the start of every zelda and has been in a coma so he's not exactly clear on details.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The main character, the little green man, of Zelda is named Zelda. It would be crazy to have a video game where your protagonist is not the title of the game, ref. Super Mario. It’s Zelda’s job to find the yellow triangle and make his sword shoot lasers, sometimes there is a Princess involved but she isn’t named, she just has a title.

Every Zelda in each new Zelda game is explicitly the son of the previous Zelda. The other constant in the timeline is Zelda’s pervert uncle Tingle, who was banned from Hyrule Castle by Gannondorf. You find him in the dungeon of the castle for sex crimes in A Link to the Past.

The first game in the series is the Minish Cap because the main Zelda in that one is very small, but after generations of selective breeding with the blue fish people, we arrive at the current Zelda who is the tallest so far.

Hope this clears things up.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

the answer is link has head trauma at the start of every zelda and has been in a coma so he's not exactly clear on details.

Breath of the Wild 3: link wakes up in the temple of metamorphosis. he has lost everything except for a small tablet. the camera app is open to a single picture of Beedle with the caption "don't believe his lies"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Man I just can’t find a way to kill these Lynel motherfuckers. Any particular reason they don’t have a big healthbar like other big baddies? I find that weird because they’re hard as nails.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think the most memorable part of the game for me was in the first 10 hours of the game or so. Sure, building Zonai devices is cool. But the moment that brought the most sheer joy to me was exploring Hyrule field when suddenly a pool of gloom appears, and a bunch of gloom hands pop up and begin chasing me. I had not seen or heard anything about them, they didn't look familiar to anything we've seen in the past games, so I was completely taken aback. Having only like 4 hearts, and no idea on how to fight it, the only thing I could possibly imagine doing was just running for it. I ran, and ran, and ran, and the things still chased me. I was terrified, but I was grinning ear to ear with sheer joy. Eventually I climbed up on some rocks and jumped off with my glider. I turned around to see if it was still chasing me, and in that moment it began raining, and the gloom hands died in a puff of smoke.

What a magical game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Man I just can’t find a way to kill these Lynel motherfuckers. Any particular reason they don’t have a big healthbar like other big baddies? I find that weird because they’re hard as nails.

Hitting them in the face with an arrow, right between the eyes, will stagger them and let you hop on their back to deal tons of damage. Easiest to do if you can make an updraft by tossing a fire item at somegrass. The rodeo attack does not use weapon durability, and you can switch weapons as you hop on its back so you can for-sure hop on before changing weapons, so just switch to the highest damage thing you have
When he bucks you off, you can land a few free arrow hits to the back of his head before landing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CainFortea posted:

lol someone in this thread called totk a "botw DLC"

Joke's on them, there was a third cutscene after all :smugdog:

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

BigglesSWE posted:

Bullet-time, puffshroom arrows, and using a 40+ weapon on their hind legs works for me. I haven't taken on the silver ones tho

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Grayshift posted:

Build yourself a weapon exclusively for killing lynels:

Root around Hyrule castle for a Royal Guard's Claymore (RG weapons have the 'Breaking Point' special effect, x2 damage when in red almost-broken state)
Break it immediately to trigger pristine versions spawning in the depths, go get one of those (underneath Gerudo highlands)
Optional: Feed it to a rocktorok until it has a decent +damage bonus
Fuse a Modulga Jaw to it (+32), wear either the Radiant set bonus or Evil Spirit set bonus to double the damage yet again (Modulga Jaws are bone, and won't break unlike Gibdo bones)
Ground slam it until it turns red (activates the x2 from 'Breaking Point'), ground slam twice more to activate the extra x2 from last-hit status
Attack Up 3 food (x1.5)

The trick here is that weapons don't lose durability when bashing lynels in the back of the head, so you get that juicy x12 multiplier for every hit. Just don't use it for anything else, it will break in one swing. Kills lynels in a single mount. Note: You either get 3 or 6 swings in a mount, or until the lynel is dead. It's very easy to ground slam when getting ejected so go slow and gauge whether your next hit will kill the beast. (And, probably carry an extra if doing the lynel coliseum.)

So: Shoot a lynel in the face however you please, switch to boner armor, mount up and take a few swings.

That just leaves breaking the rock armor on those bastards. bomb arrows I guess

This is my method. Takes a bit more setup but loving destroying a silver lynel in 5 seconds feels very rad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zarlog posted:

Bullet-time, puffshroom arrows, and using a 40+ weapon on their hind legs works for me. I haven't taken on the silver ones tho

This. My first lynel encounter was the arena, so I had to pull out every cheap trick. Used a lot of bomb arrows too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CainFortea posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/13uqo9h/everything_you_need_to_know_about_nondecayed/

Now that i'm not phone posting, this reddit post has maps for the locations for each type of pristine weapon spawn location.

Keep in mind that if a statue doesn't have the specific weapon you want, make sure you grab it and then throw it away. If you do this often enough you'll eventually prune it away so that the depths are full of the weapons you want.

Quoting so I can find it later

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
MAN i just did the quest unlocking the lightning temple and it was fun as gently caress

just some real good rear end zelda right there

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dodgeblan posted:

MAN i just did the quest unlocking the lightning temple and it was fun as gently caress

just some real good rear end zelda right there

I really gotta get back to that

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Just finished all the shrines and lightroots, am done with all the side quests that interested me, and all I have left to do is defeat Ganon. Probably over 160 hours of time invested by now. Love the hell out of this game, and I hope it will stick the landing (which I'll probably finish later today, but I just feel so stoked from getting all the shrines)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, I forgot how tough some of the proving ground shrines can be when you're coming that them with just a few hearts instead of later in the game. They're mostly fun, but there's one particular tank of a flamethrower bot that's ended me a good ten times in a row. That's way more successful than anything Ganon's ever done!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't quite understand this... so what if people want to talk about the timeline? So what if people want to speculate about the games fit, even if they're not supposed to? Why is that such a crime?

Bleck posted:

Telling other posters what to post about makes them feel like a big tough

where in the world did I tell anyone what to post about? Yes, I did that when I first created the megathread like 15 years ago but I'm WELL past that. I'm literally contributing to the timeline discussion by stating my opinion on it. I was actually pretty taken aback by TotK creating a wholly new Ganondorf because despite my protestations, I do like that there's this vague amorphous timeline to the series. But I do think the games work best without trying to fit into other games. I apologize if my choice of words came off harsh or judgmental.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m seeing a bunch of people streaming play throughs of Wind Waker, maybe I should take that up after I get sick of TOTK. The aesthetic and floppy animation are great

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wind Waker is a good as hell game and a good as hell randomizer when you want to revisit, the number of chests out in the open sea means the item pool is spread pretty wide instead of deep. it really forces you to fully explore the open sea, more like BOTW, instead of beelining toward the next major destination/dungeon

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Shiekah all still live in Kakariko, obviously, and the Guardians were all a problem, but Zelda's interference has made things play out a different way. We're (probably) never going to know for sure, this just makes sense to me to explain what the game presents.

No it’s pretty clearly a closed loop kind of time travel story. Zelda always helped seal Ganondorf, Zelda-dragon has always been above the cloud barrier recharging the master sword, etc.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It just gets tiring when people are all like "uhm it's the legend of zelda so all the plots don't matter," there shouldn't really be definitive statements one way or the other.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's actually the leg end of zelda. link's going through all of this in the hope of feet pics

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Where can I go to grab a handful of decent base weapons real quick?

Hinoxs also wear 3 scaled weapons along their belts/necklaces. They're not as good as the depth weapons ,but you get 3 of them at a time with random bonuses and you can even just grab them and run away if you climb on them while they are asleep (coward's way).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only date I'd care to see between Link and Zelda is sometime after BotW where they have a picnic on top of the Light Dragon together.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

RatHat posted:

No it’s pretty clearly a closed loop kind of time travel story. Zelda always helped seal Ganondorf, Zelda-dragon has always been above the cloud barrier recharging the master sword, etc.

I finished the game early this morning (fantastic game btw) and this was kind of my read on the events. They sealed Ganondorf, the dude, and the combination of his constant gloom malding plus no one ever actually ever going down into the Hyrule Castle sub-basement to probably try to take care of that made Calamity Ganon. Technically there were probably two Master Swords in Hyrule during BOTW, but Zelda was too busy being a dragon just flying around aimlessly and crying occasionally so everything Imprisoning War related wouldn't come up until TotK's events.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

BigglesSWE posted:

3 shot bow, 5 mighty bananas meal, bomb flowers to take down the armor, gibdo bones to seal the deal. You can do it in 2-3 bullet times.

I also killed Ganondorf by pumping him full of gibdo bones

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

but why doesn't the deku tree sense the 2nd master sword until totk

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

It's a closed loop now. It began at the beginning of TotK.

Augus posted:

the actual confusing part is what calamity ganon is supposed to be

mycot posted:

Calamity Ganon and TOTK Ganondorf are basically two different interpretations of the Ganon concept but the fact that they coexist and have no relation to each other feels very strange.

It's all Ganondorf. They're all the same guy. It shakes out differently, as well as all the differences between TotK and BotW, based on whether or not they're in the closed loop.

Whatever other game you feel would make more sense in the loop or outside of it, do that.

Like Shiggy said, it doesn't really matter, time in Hyrule is kinda broken and if you're having fun, you're having fun.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

d0grent posted:

Dragon Zelda was too high in the sky, he can't sense that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

d0grent posted:

cloud barrier :shrug:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

d0grent posted:

Who says he didn't? Why bother telling Link when there's a perfectly good one right here in the dirt?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

d0grent posted:

He knows it's not time yet to mention the other sword so he doesn't cause Deku tree is a bro.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

d0grent posted:

The tree does know but doesn't need to tell you.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
At this point I think I'm resigned to really not trying to engage much beyond the surface of a Zelda plot, because it's clear even without having finished TotK yet that Nintendo has internal mandates to keep the plot razor-thin even if the slightest explanation of what's in the margins could add so much more. I have so many questions from what I've seen that I know will never get answered or addressed, there's no point in asking.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

It's all Ganondorf. They're all the same guy. It shakes out differently, as well as all the differences between TotK and BotW, based on whether or not they're in the closed loop.

Whatever other game you feel would make more sense in the loop or outside of it, do that.

Like Shiggy said, it doesn't really matter, time in Hyrule is kinda broken and if you're having fun, you're having fun.
I can't remember if it was on SA years ago that someone explained the Mario games as a cast performing a play in each game; I get that feeling about the Zelda games.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That’s not how closed loops work

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

how come dragons can fly forever and don't need to chill for one second even for a tasty snack + nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Manoueverable posted:

At this point I think I'm resigned to really not trying to engage much beyond the surface of a Zelda plot, because it's clear even without having finished TotK yet that Nintendo has internal mandates to keep the plot razor-thin even if the slightest explanation of what's in the margins could add so much more. I have so many questions from what I've seen that I know will never get answered or addressed, there's no point in asking.

yeah it’s totally a mandate and has nothing to do with the fact that story has never been the main priority for these games at all ever