Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bawk posted:

we were able to recover the black box from the craft, so we can look into what went wrong and make sure it never happens again. when we listened in, here is what we heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

withak posted:

Is it more likely that the sub developed a (relatively) slow leak and sank, or that it experienced a catastrophic structural failure with a resulting implosion that would have turned the biological cargo (billionaires and all) into a fine paste almost instantly. Would be out of reach of the scavengers for a long time if the former.

the toilet backed up and drowned the occupants in turd water op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
making GBS threads on the death sub

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

withak posted:

Is it more likely that the sub developed a (relatively) slow leak and sank, or that it experienced a catastrophic structural failure with a resulting implosion that would have turned the biological cargo (billionaires and all) into a fine paste almost instantly. Would be out of reach of the scavengers for a long time if the former.

a "slow" leak is most likely (it is straightforward to design a presusre vessel so as not to crush and test it to ensure it's safe, but who knows if the people that used a wireless madcatz controller did that) but we don't know anything

as noted the hydrostatic pressure that deep is over 5000 psi so even a "small" leak would be like a high pressure jet that could cut you in half

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Feels Villeneuve posted:

making GBS threads on the death sub

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

(In crab language) you won't care

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

AP posted:

The latest trip was scheduled to depart from St. John’s, Newfoundland, in early May and finish up at the end of June, according to a court documents filed by the company in April with a U.S. District Court in Virginia that presides over Titanic matters.
The 5-person submersible, named Titan, is capable of diving 4,000 meters or 13,120 ft. “with a comfortable safety margin,” OceanGate said in its filing with the court.

Comfortable, you say

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i, too, would name my sub that goes to visit the titanic's wreck after the titanic itself, a famously unsinkable ship

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/Pogue/status/1670826522138091521
https://twitter.com/Pogue/status/1670835763536183297
seems normal

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
at first the guy was like "here's my new ship design, i call it: The Big" and another guy was like "hmmmm, what about......"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jazerus posted:

i, too, would name my sub that goes to visit the titanic's wreck after the titanic itself, a famously unsinkable ship

mad?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

:wtc:

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

This is a perfect time for elon to step in and offer some terribly stupid advice then call someone a pedophile

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jazerus posted:

even worse, they named it after the fictional ship that entirely predicted the titanic disaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Titan:_Or,_Futility

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

the milk machine posted:

a "slow" leak is most likely (it is straightforward to design a presusre vessel so as not to crush and test it to ensure it's safe, but who knows if the people that used a wireless madcatz controller did that) but we don't know anything

as noted the hydrostatic pressure that deep is over 5000 psi so even a "small" leak would be like a high pressure jet that could cut you in half

Let that sink in

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
im afriad elon musk is too busy playing diablo 4 right now to help

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

even worse, they named it after the fictional ship that entirely predicted the titanic disaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Titan:_Or,_Futility

what the gently caress were they THINKING????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
computer. disable tweeting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what the gently caress were they THINKING????

“oh boy I can’t wait to count all the money people wanting to live out their jimmy cameras fantasy will give me”

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

He didn't say that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ben shapino posted:

Let that sink in

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He didn't say that.

mad?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Huh you think you might want to to mention to people the sub company lost their sub with people on board for five hours and they revoked your internet so you couldn’t tell anyone

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I think this is the CBS guy I saw on YouTube discussing it and he said the ballasts are made of scrap lead pipes and you release them by having everyone on board move to one side of the vessel

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

mdemone posted:

gonna take a while for anything to break into that large chunk of metal, by then whatever organic material remains inside the chunk will have rotted long since.

Apparently not made of metal - experimental carbon fiber instead

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

given that their SOP when the sub has surfaced but is lost is to keep radio quiet, that they called for help points to it imploding

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29co_Hksk6o&t=203s
"And yet, I couldn't help noticing how many pieces of this sub seemed... improvised."

I have seen better narco subs off the coast of baja california

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Gulligans Island reboot needs some more workshopping

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

eviltastic posted:

Comfortable, you say

5-6 weeks in minivan sized submarine with just a toilet?? Or does the trip length mean you're hanging out on a boat most of the time and diving down occasionally to visit the wreck.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He didn't say that.

You cannot prove he didn't say that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In Training posted:

5-6 weeks in minivan sized submarine with just a toilet?? Or does the trip length mean you're hanging out on a boat most of the time and diving down occasionally to visit the wreck.

The latter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Huh you think you might want to to mention to people the sub company lost their sub with people on board for five hours and they revoked your internet so you couldn’t tell anyone

nah he did the lord's work by keeping quiet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phew

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is actually tragic and it isn't funny that the really rich people died in the wile e coyote submarine with the toilet sound system

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i cant believe the sub built out of an xbox controller, an old chrysler town and country, two bathtubs and some pvc pipes didn't work

e: forgot about the bucket toilet

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bad subs more effective than the modern left

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If the sub didn’t implode and create the world’s richest chum do you think they’ve already started to murder each other? I’m assuming the CEO of the company would be the first to go and then the others would fall on one another to try to keep the oxygen for themselves

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If the sub didn’t implode and create the world’s richest chum do you think they’ve already started to murder each other? I’m assuming the CEO of the company would be the first to go and then the others would fall on one another to try to keep the oxygen for themselves

Microplastics posted:

5 billionaires frantically trying to buy oxygen off each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

knives out episode 3