Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not seen it, but sort of sounds a lot like the first two seasons of VB in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s a different kind of show, but there are a lot of overlaps to the humor. It also does a lot to deconstruct it’s genre and poke fun at it. HQ is great, but it’s definitely different.

It is the best DC content in years, though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The most VB part of HQ is the bureaucracy of evil stuff. The Legion Of Doom is very Guild Of Calamitous Intent, and at one point Harley goes to a Henchman bar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Their treatment of henchmen/goons is very much in line with VB. That is very true.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It also shows that all the famous LoD supervillains are actually petty assholes, much like the guild.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bane is low-key one of the best characters in HQ, just an absolutely perfect concept of the character written perfectly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pope Guilty posted:

Bane is low-key one of the best characters in HQ, just an absolutely perfect concept of the character written perfectly.

And James Adomian loving kills it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

And James Adomian loving kills it.

it's rare that he doesn't. one of the best.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Bane is probably the most Venture-esk character in HQ. Though, I would also argue HQ Joker can come across a lot like Phantom Limb.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
WHO’S “BANG” NOW, TODD???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

Bane is probably the most Venture-esk character in HQ. Though, I would also argue HQ Joker can come across a lot like Phantom Limb.

“Where’s my electric car, Bruce?” could easily be a Venture Brothers delivery.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's only Venture Bros if the characters come as duos so most of the scenes can be the same two guys having nerdy conversations

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What I've seen of the Minions movies is actually pretty good. They're not exactly ambitious but Illumination does great physical gags, and there's the same self-awareness of genre conventions.

Also they did a better job at explaining why they didn't work for Hitler than some franchises do.

I do like the explanation as to why no one considers them particularly weird or notable is that they've been around since long before humanity and everyone is used to them.

I'll bite, why didn't they?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'll bite, why didn't they?
After Napoleon they got uh... either trapped in a cave or frozen solid? Until the 1960s or something. The writers actually sat down and were like, okay, Hitler, gotta avoid him.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

something very funny about admitting the characters in your children’s movie would have aided in the holocaust because it’s in their nature so you just take the option off the board

holefoods fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 18, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

holefoods posted:

something very funny about admitting the characters in your children’s movie would have aided in the holocaust because it’s in their nature so you just take the option off the board

I mean, it tracks with about 70% of humanity in general, so :shrug:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Boxset is already sold out on Amazon Canada.

Guess those years of reruns on Teletoon paid off.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i see you can pre order Radiant... on amazon now, i couldn't do it previously.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If the Minions were really evil they would have worked for England not Napoleon

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Considering what was going on in Hati under Napoleon he was very much on board for colonist brutality.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was pretty much the same all across the board, it was like it was a different time of people and social/ethical mindsets.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Brits tried to take over Haiti and the Haitians kicked the poo poo out of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

After Napoleon they got uh... either trapped in a cave or frozen solid? Until the 1960s or something. The writers actually sat down and were like, okay, Hitler, gotta avoid him.

They accidentally got Napoleon killed (or at least blown away by a cannonball) and the French forces chased them off until they spent about a century hiding out in an ice cave deep in Russia, yeah.

Mantis42 posted:

They do spend the rest of that movie helping the Queen.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was pretty much the same all across the board, it was like it was a different time of people and social/ethical mindsets.

That's illegal, no.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's illegal, no.

I mean yeah now it is pretty gross and illegal and I am not advocating it at all. I am stating the world and peoples of that time are different from the present and good luck trying to find something close to the good/bad moral compass of fiction because everyone in charge is a rich and involved in some pretty skeevy stuff that does not fly by our standards.

Like the only heroes maybe are the small burgoinging middle class and people into the grass roots of liberty which at this time is still developing and taking root.

The fact we're trying to debate morality of peoples of the past over a CG made for kids movie about campy super villains is also so very dumb, especially in a thread about a different show entirely.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Whew, that's more like it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
tbh im sorry but that harley quinn show loving sucks. i saw a few clips of it and it is trying way too hard to be funny

has there been any announcements about shirts? would love to buy a few for the movie!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Servaetes posted:

tbh im sorry but that harley quinn show loving sucks. i saw a few clips of it and it is trying way too hard to be funny

has there been any announcements about shirts? would love to buy a few for the movie!

they hinted at starting the shirt club again. nothing concrete.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

Well I'd assume so, very uncomfortable and the shipping costs would be insane.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Servaetes posted:

lol i can imagine someone having the same judgement of VB watching random clips

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Well I'd assume so, very uncomfortable and the shipping costs would be insane.

It'd be cool if they set up a store or something that sold templates you could just iron on t-shirts instead.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

My gf will be so mad if I get another shirt club subscription.

Despite stealing my worn in and comfy as gently caress OSI shirt to sleep in.

What I'm saying is they need to do another shirt club

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Khanstant posted:

lol i can imagine someone having the same judgement of VB watching random clips

idk i recognize most of the dc characters whereas i dunno if anyone would know who the monarch or brock were

Arrath posted:

My gf will be so mad if I get another shirt club subscription.

Despite stealing my worn in and comfy as gently caress OSI shirt to sleep in.

What I'm saying is they need to do another shirt club

i think unless the shirts are like the destiny one my wife wont be embarassed walking around in public with me lol

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Servaetes posted:

Harley Quinn isn't just good because it is funny. It also is very character driven. That show actually makes you root for Kite Man. KITE MAN!

I also think it is hard not to appear try hard in your humor when everything revolves around supervillainy. There is just a natural escalation built in that just can't be captured in clips.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They've been trying to make kiteman a thing for half a decade. Shows weak

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The first half of S3 of HQ was god-loving-awful - the "let me show you how much I love you by being a stalkerish karen" plot was painful to watch.

The recent Valentine's Special is pretty good, though.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The first half of S3 of HQ was god-loving-awful - the "let me show you how much I love you by being a stalkerish karen" plot was painful to watch.

The recent Valentine's Special is pretty good, though.

I agree with this. s3 definitely started weak

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I liked Harley Quinn just like I enjoyed MODOK. I'm not running around screaming it's praises but what I liked in it I truly liked. It's tough to get Venture Brothers quality but at least I laughed.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I really like what they do with Bane on that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think what they did with the Joker is also really funny.