Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Grapplejack posted:

nextfest going great

The pinnacle of Steam's tagging system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rebel Blob posted:

You would think a foot fetishist would be able to design good looking feet. The arch on the one on the left looks like the inside of an empty bread bowl

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rebel Blob posted:

An AI showed everyone what was outside the frame and now this? Mona Lisa fans finally getting new content after centuries of waiting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hmm, is the quick saving supposed to be disabled for the shadow gambit demo? I can't get it to work despite the on-screen prompts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hmm, is the quick saving supposed to be disabled for the shadow gambit demo? I can't get it to work despite the on-screen prompts.

if your keyboard is a bad piece of poo poo like mine, the function keys default to AV playback controls and there's an Fn key you have to hold for actual useful things

Fn key, more like effin key lmao

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hwurmp posted:

if your keyboard is a bad piece of poo poo like mine, the function keys default to AV playback controls and there's an Fn key you have to hold for actual useful things

I've always hated that Laptops tend to default to this functionality. Thankfully, you can change it in the BIOS to have your F keys work as F keys, and have the Fn button activate the extra stuff.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

“souls-like” is a hell of a pun for that lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

that's what i have, yeah. but i'm quite familiar with using the fn key and that doesn't work. nor does the on-screen quicksave button.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, it now works after the first level. just demo bugs, i guess.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Some Steam Demo Impressions:

Luna Abyss: This one surprised me as I really didn't think I was going to like it, but ended up being intrigued. It's kind of a fusion of the dark and grand sci-fi architecture/scale/lore you'd see in Destiny 2's Whisper of the Worm level with Metroid Prime's auto-lock combat and shootable doors/buttons with Returnal/Nier's bullet hell enemy design. There definitely were some complaints like how the starter gun is very unique but awkwardly feels like an air gun, and how I'm not sure if the game has enough interesting platforming/puzzles inbetween combat scenarios, but I'm interested enough to keep an eye on it.

Echo Point Nova: Open-world Severed Steel/Titanfall 2...it's pretty neato and I'm sure it'll be great, but I'm not completely sold on the open-world nature and might've preferred the more linear level-based design. Was definitely pretty fun to just move around and pull off stunts and such and I'm keeping my eye on it.

Vapor World Over The Mind: Reminds me a lot of Salt and Sanctuary but with more Sekiro-esque combat where you work down their stance using clashes and dodges and parries until you pull off a finisher. It was nice, but all the game had to show was combat and it got a bit monotonous and I don't know what else the game might be offering, like puzzles or platforming. Game was awkward to process and figure out because it's both trying to pull off that mysterious atmosphere with inscrutable lore and minimalist HUD/directions while also having what looks like a very badly auto-translated script, making it doubly inscrutable.

DOOMBLADE: Pretty cool Metroidvania game that, while not looking the greatest on first glance with its old-school Flash-esque art and blocky worlds, gets you into the action quickly with a very cool combat/movement system where you both traverse the environment and fight through arenas using targeted slash-dashes at enemies that can phase through walls. Was a lot of fun to just slash-dash around everywhere and looking at the trailers, it shows a lot of cool platforming and combat scenarios that escalate in crazy fast-paced ways. Definitely quite interested in this one (and it's already out).

Lords of Exile: It's a serviceable Castlevania clone. Perfectly fine, but didn't really grab me with anything intriguing to sell me on it as the power-ups and such seemed quite basic: nothing interesting like the Bloodstained games with their party swapping or Zangetsu hyper mode. Probably skip on it.

Voidborn: Essentially ULTRAKILL: the rogue-like. Was fun to slide and jump and shoot and parry and all that stylish stuff, but I'm not sure whether it would keep my interest for long due to the rather basic and repetitive auto-gen level designs and simple Hades-esque upgrades where your alt-fire/dash/jump get elemental properties. I feel like it was novel to me just because I haven't even played ULTRAKILL yet, and I feel like if I did I'd just rather go back and play that most likely.

Jusant: Pretty cool rock-climbing game. Was worried at first that it might be a bit too easy, but they started to introduce some route-solving and piton/stamina management and the world was very pretty so I'm very intrigued. Was disappointed that it seems to prevent you from dying with no fall damage and invisible walls.

Fortune's Run: A bit overwhelming and confusing in terms of difficulty, controls, and navigating the world, but feels like a very impressive imm-sim FPS with so many toys in the toy box that equal parts wowed and frustrated me. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one, but have to admit that it kind of gives me EYE Divine Cybermancy vibes in that it's very ambitious yet very rough and will likely bounce off a lot of people for good reasons and be a cult hit for others for equally good reasons.

Elsie: I actually have already played this demo before and disliked it but I was hoping I was wrong: I wasn't. I really want to like this game as it looks like it would deliver some cool fast-paced Megaman action, but the levels were boring and the combat dull and lifeless due to lackluster feedback/effects and the whole metaprogression/upgrades uninteresting.

and then there are some demos like Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew which I'm not even sure I need to bother with because it looks just like Desperados 3 and that game was the bomb and if it's just more of that then I'm already sold.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I like that the codified Quick Saving and Quick Loading into the world itself in Shadow Gambit. On the other, those little cutscenes for each will probably get annoying. I feel quick loading should be a 1/3rd as long as it is, if it is possible. Otherwise I really like what I have played so far.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

“souls-like” is a hell of a pun for that lol

walking simulator is also very good.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t think this is a big surprise but the Hammerwatch 2 demo is a lot of fun. Controls feel good, world is suitably pretty and dense and the music rocks.

Also it got a release date: August 15th.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

You would think a foot fetishist would be able to design good looking feet. The arch on the one on the left looks like the inside of an empty bread bowl

Unrealistic beauty expectations are ruining today's youth :nono:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadow Gambit gonna be good

but I strongly strongly recommend turning off Memory Reminder in the game options

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Okay, first round of demos is in!

Alien Hominid Invasion is... wait, what?

Sure, why not, at this point we've run out of everything else to get remakes/sequels of, so we're getting them for Newgrounds games now.

Alien Hominid Invasion is a co-op platform shooter which is gleefully chaotic and extremely dumb. You are alien hominids, Earth is a vulnerable target, but the FBI doesn't want you to take it over. Bounce around missions shooting them while trying to complete objectives set by Mothership, until you complete enough to extract. Uh, does that make this an extraction shooter? Whatever, Tarkov this ain't. The game gives you a bunch of customizability options, and even lets each individual player mix and match difficulty modifiers so that your super-cool pro gamer friend can run around in 40% HP permadeath mode while you have 200% HP.

Joker Rating: [secret] - It's kind of really hard to screw this up. I mean, you might not like what Alien Hominid Invasion is bringing to the table, but it's exactly what it promises to be.

Station to Station is a puzzle game where you build train stations adjacent to landmarks and then build rails to try and create a supply network. If you're able to plan things far enough out in advance, you can stack a whole bunch of combos, thus earning you a bunch of points.

Joker Rating: Holographic - The addition of more complicated mechanics in the last part of the demo saves it from being truly brainless, and I can see how this might be interesting in the full release. But I still feel like we've seen enough cozy puzzle games in this vein that Station to Station doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

In Wizard with a Gun, you play as a wizard... with a gun. It's a sandbox survival game that alternates between you having a home base with base building and you crafting refined resources/doing research and a zone where you gather resources and fight monsters. Technically you can build buildings in the monster maps too, but they're temporary, and you only have a limited amount of time to get your objectives done and get back to the portal before everything starts going to hell in a handbasket.

Joker Rating: Polychrome - Wizard with a Gun is a good game, but there's a couple of things wrong with it that hinder it from perfection. The first is that the whole time I felt like I was playing an off-brand version of some other game I have never played, but really should have in order to make proper comparisons. Don't Starve, maybe? The second is that you really do not have a lot of time in each individual monster map to get everything that you want done. It kind of feels like you're meant to be playing co-op and have at least one person be the dedicated crafter or something: otherwise you are wasting too much time and too many bullets shooting down trees/rocks/metal objects. It's the only one of these games that made it back onto my wishlist, though.

Eternights is a "dating action game", which is to say it's a souls-lite which is also a visual novel that involves dating in the middle of the monster-filled post-apocalypse. But the dating part feedback loops into the combat because of abilities that you unlock as a result.

Joker Rating: Foil - Maybe it's just the beginning of the game being extremely weak, and I did see some really cool video footage from later on, but this felt really clumsy all around. Menu controls, story and dialogue, combat controls, art assets, voice acting and the occasional lack thereof. There is no part of this game that does not feel like somebody's first project, which it appears to be.

Jumplight Odyssey is Star Blazers: The Game, if the series spent a lot more time micromanaging the main ship. It's a management/simulation game where you play as the last princess of a planet that got exploded by aliens and is now trying to run with the last ship to the Forever Star, which will hopefully solve all of your problems somehow, while being chased by the armada of the aliens who wrecked the planet. It alternates between slice of life stuff and "we're being attacked, everything is on fire." I think that this wins the title of most anime game, even over the previous one, but it's also very anime in a good way.

Joker Rating: Holographic - Looking at the screen that shows the overall ship gave me a headache, and I think that's going to scare a lot of players off even before getting to more advanced mechanics. Good thing you can pause at any time. Also the art style they've chosen for the game feels a little too... cartoony? Probably not the right word, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

EDIT: I have since been informed that the actual amount of management involved is relatively minimal, which makes this game less interesting for its target audience but still annoying to interpret for everyone else. Downgrading from Polychrome to Holographic, in the sense of "this could be a game which gets fixed later on and becomes really good, but as of right now the game could go either way."

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 25, 2023

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sea of Stars is looking really good. The demo's a good time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The new Steam update seems to have screwed up the back button in the workshop browser, trying to browse a game's workshop in the client has become a terrible experience because hitting back just doesn't work or shunts me all the way back to my library.

Is there some kind of work around for this?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zore posted:

The new Steam update seems to have screwed up the back button in the workshop browser, trying to browse a game's workshop in the client has become a terrible experience because hitting back just doesn't work or shunts me all the way back to my library.

Yeah I'm noticing the back button is all kinds of hosed up too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ooh, shadow gambit made the sniper actually interesting.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zore posted:

switch to the beta

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

It's nextfest time. Post your recommends folks, I need fuel for the demo engine

Ghost Trick is very good!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pseudorandom name posted:

switch to the beta

That fixed the issue right up. Thanks!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i unfortunately can't lead the charge on demo fest this week because my eyelids have been twitchy all month and i'm gonna take a breather on screens outside of work for a few days. but i am installing stuff for when i hop back in.

some demos to look out for that I didn't mention before (at least, I don't think): Pacific Drive, Broken Roads, Stellaris Nexus, Pathfinder: Gallowspire Survivors, Cataclismo, Quest Master, Blazblue Entropy Effect, Shogun Showdown, Back to the Dawn, Cart Life (yes THAT Cart Life), A Void Hope, This Bed We Made, Cuisineer, Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition, Athenian Rhapsody, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes: Definitive Edition (yes THAT Clash of Heroes), El Paso Elsewhere, Wargroove 2 (i didn't know this existed??), Loddlenaut, Haunted House Renovator (sure why not), Genopanic, Snacko, Echoes of the Living, Born of Bread, Wanderful, Motordoom, Stop Dead

is that enough??? enough for you insatiable demo-eating jackals?? *throws more demos at you as i back toward the stairs*

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Alright, this is the last one for the night, LP responsibilities call me onwards:

Death Must Die is, and I cannot emphasize enough how much this is exactly the case, Hades Survivors. Except for the equipment system, which for some reason seems to be taken from Diablo instead, and also Crom is there.

Joker Rating: Polychrome - The problem is that the game's giving you Vampire Survivors levels of enemies with the Hades toolkit to fight them, so unless the metaprogression eventually starts boosting you at a much higher rate than what I'm seeing from playing, the game starts getting really difficult, really quickly. That might be a universal problem though, as even the devs couldn't make it past the first boss on stream, because of being worn down by the mobs beforehand. It's more interesting than I expected though.

EDIT: Of course, I can't stop playing it for some stupid reason. Upgraded to Polychrome, partially because of that, but also because I need to make more room for truly middle of the road Survivors clones.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 22, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The 7th Guest posted:

Pacific Drive, Haunted House Renovator

sadly it seems both of these were included in Nextfest as a mistake and neither currently has a demo ready

which is a bummer, especially Pacific Drive which I've been looking forward to

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The 7th Guest posted:

notable demos going live for Next Fest tomorrow:

Defender's Quest 2

More hyped for this than any other upcoming release, no exaggeration. How long has it been again?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think Balatro was the only good demo I played so far, a poker game, but pretty neat.

Kingdom Eighties is a looker, but very uninteresting gameplay for me anyway, I ducked out after a few minutes.

Warhaven is a F2P multiplayer third person sword fighting game, but I am not a fan of the presentation at all. I forgot the name of the two other games like this, but they are both a lot better but in first person I guess.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 20, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

saw a couple more interesting looking demos: Moonlight Pulse (a metroidvania by the developer of Vision: Soft Reset), Badboro (a punch-heavy Soulslike inspired by "2000s era cartoons"), Finely Diced (culinary dice-roller), Stick to the Plan (reminds me of Bonfire Peaks), Antique Restorer (basically 3d jigsaw), and Logic Town (classical logic puzzles)

these don't look as good but maybe there's something there: Runa & the Chaikuru Legacy, The Legend of Skye, MEAT II, Full Moon Rush/Probo Rush, The Lost Uncle

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 20, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So the FEAR spiritual-successor Trepang2 is out like, tomorrow, right?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

CuddleCryptid posted:

Well, go yell at him yourself, apparently this thing's being streamed live tomorrow.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pseudorandom name posted:

switch to the beta

That's what got us into this problem in the first place!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jossar posted:

Jumplight Odyssey is Star Blazers: The Game, if the series spent a lot more time micromanaging the main ship. It's a management/simulation game where you play as the last princess of a planet that got exploded by aliens and is now trying to run with the last ship to the Forever Star, which will hopefully solve all of your problems somehow, while being chased by the armada of the aliens who wrecked the planet. It alternates between slice of life stuff and "we're being attacked, everything is on fire." I think that this wins the title of most anime game, even over the previous one, but it's also very anime in a good way.

Joker Rating: Polychrome - For those who are really into management/simulation games, Jumplight Odyssey may very well be top tier. But when I said you are doing a lot of micromanaging, I meant it. Looking at the screen that shows the overall ship gave me a headache, and I think that's going to scare a lot of players off even before getting to more advanced mechanics. Good thing you can pause at any time. Also the art style they've chosen for the game feels a little too... cartoony? Probably not the right word, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

You don't actually manage anything though. That's my problem with it. You choose what to build but literally everything else is automated as far as I can tell. Your only decisions are which missions you send your away team on, which job category your personnel fit into, and what you build. You also assign a "Chief" for each job category but they appeared to be meaningless at the moment. Aside from that it was really annoying being unable to figure out how/why I had 20 people assigned to a job category with tons of jobs to do, and only one or two actually doing a job.

A Faster Than Light focused more on the ship management in a way like a colony simulator is really appealing but playing the demo reminded me why I tend to avoid early access/demos these days.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Lone Badger posted:

So the FEAR spiritual-successor Trepang2 is out like, tomorrow, right?

Apparently! Game's been on my wishlist probably longer than anything else. The demos were all very fun I just hope they're able to put it into a compelling single player story.

Edit: no price on the store page yet but devs said $30 in the forum post.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 20, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did Steam change how you calibrate triggers? I don't see an option in the "Calibration and Advanced Settings" window.

e:I can edit the deadzone on a per game basis, but I thought there was a global calibration available.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 20, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

my personal tiny peeve with the steam update is that double clicking the steam icon in the bottom right taskbar doesn't open the main steam window anymore for some reason, if you have a game running at the time.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Cross Blitz

Lots of polish, very well put together deck builder that isn't also simultaneously a roguelike! Game plays out much like hearthstone, though one difference is that each minion attacks upwards through a lane instead of you click-dragging them. It also appears to be focused on more of a single-player experience which lets them really go wild with mechanics and not worry too much about mundane things like 'balance'. The main character's deck appears to be heavily based on pirate warrior if that sounds interesting. I enjoyed it!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1619520/Cross_Blitz/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FutureCop posted:

DOOMBLADE: Pretty cool Metroidvania game that, while not looking the greatest on first glance with its old-school Flash-esque art and blocky worlds, gets you into the action quickly with a very cool combat/movement system where you both traverse the environment and fight through arenas using targeted slash-dashes at enemies that can phase through walls. Was a lot of fun to just slash-dash around everywhere and looking at the trailers, it shows a lot of cool platforming and combat scenarios that escalate in crazy fast-paced ways. Definitely quite interested in this one (and it's already out).

It looks very Hollow Knight but way more vibrant. I'm gonna try the demo out later.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Demo Round Up Day 1

Balatro

Yeah this game fucks.

Verdict: Wishlisted

Crime O'Clock

A hidden object game but the things you're finding tell a little story with an overall time travel theme. I wanted something like the Sexy Brutale but it's not that at all. Any mystery game hinges on its writing and it just ain't there for this one. A bunch of rough edges as well. This is fine, unobjectionable but not for me.

Verdict: Unwishlisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked the Ratopia demo but I'm also obviously extreme biased.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2244130/Ratopia/