Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

We don't actually know for sure that the sub got lost while submerged, it could also just be like, lost on the surface. Maybe it surfaced and then hit an iceberg? The Titanic as a symbol of mankind's hubris seems to have escaped the folks taking tourists down to 4000 12600 feet below sea level in a handmade uncertified submarine.

FTFY

Leperflesh posted:

A video game controller. Yes. That is surely good for mission-critical equipment that lives depend on.

You can see the controller in this video. It communicates over Bluetooth and features 3D‐printed thumbstick extensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkytJa0ghc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

"lol wheres the boat dude?? txt back asap x"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Of course, even if it surfaced they're sealed in from the outside in an airtight vessel with no reserve oxygen e: 96 hours of reserve oxygen, but no emergency communications system/transponder or emergency exit. Safety first!

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 19, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

DurianGray posted:

Even if it had a transponder, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference since I doubt there are any rescue subs that could get down to it in time (if any exist in the first place). I saw one article saying it's supposed to automatically surface if something goes wrong, but I'm guessing that didn't happen (and a transponder would help if it actually did surface).

If it lost power, the ballast automatically drops. They rise to surface.

If something else non-catastrophic happened, they could manually trigger it. They rise to surface.

The fact they're not on the surface strongly suggests something quick and lethal like an implosion.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

McSpanky posted:

Of course, even if it surfaced they're sealed in from the outside in an airtight vessel with no reserve oxygen and no emergency communications system. Safety first!

They sealed them in from the outside??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL I meant 4k meters, thanks.

e. he says in that video that he's got a couple spare controllers, so I'm sure that's totally fine (there does not appear to be any direct wired control option if the bluetooth goes out tho?)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 19, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Dude, Where's My Car Sub?

Lol at using a Bluetooth controller. Surely hardwired is the better option. (e:fb)

Also having no means of opening from the inside. Like not even an emergency option?

Grim Lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ilmucche posted:

From the CBS article, "The crew closes the hatch, from the outside, with 17 bolts. There's no other way out."

The other article claims they have extended provisions to sustain the crew for a rescue, but considering their sole comms tech was freaking text messages and there's no backups/emergency transponder, I don't think their claims of adequate emergency preparedness are holding water.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Maybe it's all a hoax to get more people to sign up for this. "Our sub is lost! Oh, no it isn't, we just wanted publicity! Come ride our sub!"

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Sealed in? Text only communication with the outside world? lovely method of control? Were these rich idiots trying to cosplay Iron Lung or something???

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Wait is this text message comms thing real? It's hard to tell.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ilmucche posted:

Apollo 1 strikes again

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

murder suicide, someone raged out when they saw it was an off brand logitech controller and not a Sony or Microsoft

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Was just watching a related video from one of the ones posted earlier and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWdIGSELVFY&t=107s (start at 1:47 if the link doesn't).

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh yeah let's get in the submarine made and run by carnies. No way this could possibly go wrong.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/Starlink/status/1666911689344962576?s=20

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Deptfordx posted:

If it lost power, the ballast automatically drops. They rise to surface.

If something else non-catastrophic happened, they could manually trigger it. They rise to surface.

The fact they're not on the surface strongly suggests something quick and lethal like an implosion.

I don't wish any adventurers death on their journeys, but do people actually give enough of a poo poo about the Titanic to go look at it? I've seen the videos over the credits of Titanic (not really, but the point stands)

You can't even plant a flag or do whatever they do on Everest

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
You could argue it’d be cool to see the wreck in situ

Thankfully they just released a giant 3d scan of the wreck last month so you can do so from the comfort of your home instead of a tin can death trap

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What do you call a Billionaire lost in the ocean in a submarine called Titan?

A good start. Please send more.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, let's see their list of provisions.

Wait! This just says rich people.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pilot hit the turbo button on the off brand submarine dualshock rip

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The wireless connection dropped out, so they hit the sink button.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
the navy does use xbox controllers but they just use it for periscopes and non-critical things and they are hardwired
https://www.cnet.com/science/us-navy-launches-submarine-maneuvered-by-xbox-controller/

quote:

The controller operates two photonics masts. These are the successors to the periscopes you might be familiar with in old war movies. The masts house visible and infrared digital cameras on top of telescoping arms.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Interesting article on the use of controllers in the military.

https://taskandpurpose.com/tech-tactics/us-military-video-game-controllers-war/

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

anyone know how many hours of oxygen are left, given the Titan 1C's (the world's first single use submarine) time of deployment?

we need a countdown going.

also lmao I saw there were new posts in the Everest thread and knew it was about the missing submarine, I love this community

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I love when the A story and the B story connect

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
At least this sub probably won't be full of body parts

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

anyone know how many hours of oxygen are left, given the Titan 1C's (the world's first single use submarine) time of deployment?

we need a countdown going.

also lmao I saw there were new posts in the Everest thread and knew it was about the missing submarine, I love this community

After all what is the sea other than just a very wet upside mountain!

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Of course, even if it surfaced they're sealed in from the outside in an airtight vessel with no reserve oxygen and no emergency communications system. Safety first!

It has a four day supply of oxygen which is a weirdly over-engineered component for an environment in which every other critical failure results in either instant death or freezing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The CNN article says it has either 70 or 96 hours of oxygen.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

this is crazy, it's so dangerous to be a billionaire these days

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

HopperUK posted:

The CNN article says it has either 70 or 96 hours of oxygen.

I've seen 96 hours go around too. The other number is probably the time left since the accident?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://www.isthetitansubmarineoutofoxygenyet.com/

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Vernii posted:

It has a four day supply of oxygen which is a weirdly over-engineered component for an environment in which every other critical failure results in either instant death or freezing.
There has been a case where this sort of reserve saved the crew. Much, much shallower though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Roger_Mallinson_and_Roger_Chapman

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
What are we even doing here? The sub has a single porthole window and god only knows how thick that fucker has to be to survive at depth. Just wire a monitor in front of that fucker and tool around for 12 hours at 30 feet while playing a video of a robot dive.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Elukka posted:

There has been a case where this sort of reserve saved the crew. Much, much shallower though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Roger_Mallinson_and_Roger_Chapman

Rescued after 76 hours with only 12 minutes of oxygen remaining. :eyepop:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

What are we even doing here? The sub has a single porthole window and god only knows how thick that fucker has to be to survive at depth. Just wire a monitor in front of that fucker and tool around for 12 hours at 30 feet while playing a video of a robot dive.

"is that... Kate Winslet..."

OH gently caress rewind the tape

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Pssh it is like none of y'all have ever read Abduction by Robin Cook.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deptfordx posted:

Apparently they lost contact with the sub yesterday 1h:45m's into the dive.

I'm assuming they're all dead and the operators have spent the time working up the nerve to announce that between sessions on the satphone talking to their lawyers about the best way of minimising their liability.

It says it can be submerged for up to 96 hours. It also says it is about the size of a minivan inside, which sounds comfy. It is not.

Even if they are on the surface and perfectly fine, they are still trapped all scrunched up. Can't lie down. Can't even stretch out your legs. People complain about airplane seats being uncomfortable and long flights being a hazard for throwing clots, imagine not being able to stand up nor lie down to stretch your legs for days -- literally torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Honestly, if I'm an aging billionaire, $250,000 for an instantaneous, pain-free epic death is a decent bargain. I wonder if life insurance pays out on something this frivolous and dumb.