Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

The only date I'd care to see between Link and Zelda is sometime after BotW where they have a picnic on top of the Light Dragon together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_62M_5n5bc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraZenmaster
Jun 28, 2004
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
So, amazing game, clearly.

But I'm a bit miffed (Rito spoilers) that the game allows you to find your way all the way up to the wind temple by yourself, without alerting you to the fact that you must have your little bird buddy with you to get through it.

I'd found the book in Rito Village revealing the legend of the boats in the sky, figured it was a pretty clear hint to go explore up there... then followed little birdy dude up the mountain path, but took the wrong fork just before getting to the cave. Instead found a big Rito guy who told me that my princess was in another castle, got frustrated, saw a tower in the distance and went off to explore.

That led me to some sky islands with bits to build a mobile platform, with steering and fans... then I used rockets I'd collected from the gumball machine to boost all the way up.

I managed to get there but got a red-X when trying to activate the Zonai gate - but it let me solve a bunch of riddles, unlock chests, etc, without ever indicating that I'd skipped an essential part of the buildup - I only realized it after giving up and heading to Google. Seems like a bit of a failure of storyline contingency planning - a little disappointing...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

That’s not how closed loops work

It's the bootstrap paradox, and Zelda is the Sage of Time.

It's also very much like the Knot from the Netflix show Dark.

None of the TotK stuff happened until it has always happened, making some of the other stuff that totally happened not things that happened in the same way if they happened at all. That's time travel in the Land of Hyrule, baby!

Also yeah, it's all of secondary importance to the self-contained story each Zelda game tells. Link doesn't row, you see. Link doesn't row.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Dareon posted:

It's literally a legend, we're going through a retelling of an ancient story that may or may not have happened as any of the retellings have told. Each version is told by a different storyteller who likes different parts of the story they learned and adds new wrinkles to entertain their audience.

This makes more sense to me than trying to shoehorn things into a timeline that was written between ten and 35 years ago and may have simply been spun from whole cloth when the developers realized they could get nerds to pay money for it.

But I kind of like timeline discussion, as conspiracy theorists go y'all are more palatable than the birds aren't real folk.

You gotta open the gloom valve every so often when you're using your castle, can't let it build up

I hear this theory from time to time, and just, no. Many of the games are explicitly tied to others, and to their benefit. Wind Waker's story is great *because* it's explicitly an Ocarina sequel.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I remember seeing a psycho on reddit saying that clearly since totk improves on botw in so many areas that it's actually the REAL game the botw developers wanted to make, but nintendo forced them to release something incomplete, and replacing the shrines and putting in the zonai is the original True Vision for botw.

So there are levels of game connection stupidity that have yet to be plumbed.

I remember seeing someone on True Zelda (for "True" Zelda fans, I assume) call TotK a DLC made solely for Ultrahand. Also most people there hate BotW/TotK because it's not like old Zelda games and it doesn't mention old game lore like the three Goddesses enough and there's sophisticated machinery everywhere, therefore it retroactively ruins the masterpiece that was OoT.

All timeline discussions are silly but when it's with Redditors it's actual hell

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's called 'The Legend of Zelda' because a wizard cursed Princess Zelda with eternal sleep, and so her brother decreed that all princesses would be named Zelda in remembrance.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I'm wondering what they've got in mind for DLC. Master Mode and a Trials of the Sword equivalent seem like a no brainer, but a Champion's Ballad rehash... I dunno. We already have a way to power up the sages, and some kind of suped up vehicle like the Master Cycle would need to be impressive indeed to compete with the random stuff we can already make ourselves. There's no Zonai power + enhancements, but I don't really see how you'd improve them in a meaningful way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7246451354430917930

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mylan posted:

I'm wondering what they've got in mind for DLC. Master Mode and a Trials of the Sword equivalent seem like a no brainer, but a Champion's Ballad rehash... I dunno. We already have a way to power up the sages, and some kind of suped up vehicle like the Master Cycle would need to be impressive indeed to compete with the random stuff we can already make ourselves. There's no Zonai power + enhancements, but I don't really see how you'd improve them in a meaningful way.

it's weird how they had BOTWs DLC completely laid out before the game even launched but we haven't heard a peep about TOTK DLC

there's always the wildcard of "inexplicably no DLC even though it would totally make sense" like they pulled with mario odyssey

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

How are these tracking enemies without a roomba part? Is the construct head + stabiliser enough to steer it in the right direction?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My (tears of the) kingdom for a button to put the robot on follow. I literally only want you to stand next to me so I can jump on you then jump off to get an immediate slow mo jump. STOP RUNNING AWAY FROM ME

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's the bootstrap paradox, and Zelda is the Sage of Time.

It's also very much like the Knot from the Netflix show Dark.

None of the TotK stuff happened until it has always happened, making some of the other stuff that totally happened not things that happened in the same way if they happened at all. That's time travel in the Land of Hyrule, baby!

Also yeah, it's all of secondary importance to the self-contained story each Zelda game tells. Link doesn't row, you see. Link doesn't row.

There’s no evidence for this at all, and there’s evidence of the closed loop theory (Ganondorf knowing Link and the Master sword because Rauru told him about them right before being sealed, the two blocked murals that feature Zelda, ect.) so

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

For any Zora weapon enjoyers, it appears each froggy armor piece increases the amount of time you stay wet by a pretty huge amount.

Tested in Lookout Landing well and it looks like the wet status lasts a full 3 minutes with all 3 pieces, which considering the baseline is 45 seconds and its a 100% damage boost is huge. Just 1 piece seems to give just under 2 full minutes which is probably the best balance

edit - froggy armor seems to give good defense and is easy to upgrade as well, being a water warrior may actually be one of the easier ways to get really stronk

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 19, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mylan posted:

My guess is battlebots DLC, where you pit contraptions against NPC bots/enemies, and something to do with the bargainers/poes/etc.

maybe they'll add a Shadow Temple, since the spirit temple made the cut.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Macaluso posted:

My (tears of the) kingdom for a button to put the robot on follow. I literally only want you to stand next to me so I can jump on you then jump off to get an immediate slow mo jump. STOP RUNNING AWAY FROM ME

Same for the lightning lady. Ma'am you are a ranged attack buff stop yoloing into melee range please.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

repiv posted:

it's weird how they had BOTWs DLC completely laid out before the game even launched but we haven't heard a peep about TOTK DLC

there's always the wildcard of "inexplicably no DLC even though it would totally make sense" like they pulled with mario odyssey

i thought there was dlc for mario odyssey. they added some luigi stuff or something I thought long after I had finished it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Same for the lightning lady. Ma'am you are a ranged attack buff stop yoloing into melee range please.

She may as well just be a pre-combat ability for what it does. Cause “run in, chase her down while she dodged around the monster, hit A, then run a safe distance away” gets old.

But that’s okay, cause having another tool to blast moblins off cliffs makes it worth it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Khanstant posted:

i thought there was dlc for mario odyssey. they added some luigi stuff or something I thought long after I had finished it

yeah the luigi multiplayer thing was added in a free update, but they never added any more worlds as paid expansions, despite the format of the game naturally lending itself to tacking on more content like that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I hope they update it and give us a power wheel with the down dpad that just...turn on the sage power.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Dareon posted:

It's literally a legend, we're going through a retelling of an ancient story that may or may not have happened as any of the retellings have told. Each version is told by a different storyteller who likes different parts of the story they learned and adds new wrinkles to entertain their audience.

This makes more sense to me than trying to shoehorn things into a timeline that was written between ten and 35 years ago and may have simply been spun from whole cloth when the developers realized they could get nerds to pay money for it.

But I kind of like timeline discussion, as conspiracy theorists go y'all are more palatable than the birds aren't real folk.

This has always been my favorite interpretation of the Legend of Zelda. It's right in the name! One time the guy telling it was an old sailor. One time the guy telling it was a furry.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
In BOTW you defeat Ganon's Heartless. In TOTK you fight his Nobody.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phenotype posted:

This has always been my favorite interpretation of the Legend of Zelda. It's right in the name! One time the guy telling it was an old sailor. One time the guy telling it was a furry.

Gonna give that train nerd a wedgie

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's up with zeldas house in hateno. that's link's house. she stole it!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Actually Froggy Armor is 60 armor total at max which is really good without being OP, super easy to upgrade, and you get it just for visiting stables basically. In addition to 180 seconds of wet status from one splash fruit, I may go the water warrior route if I do another playthrough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

That's monarchy for ya. I learned my lesson and made my house in this game as hideous as possible so nobody would want to steal it. Hyrule equivalent of a mattress on the floor with a $3500 PC on a card table

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
She threw out the Sheikah Slate cause she thought it was a game console

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Mylan posted:

*Link loads up on Zonai beams, jumps on a rocket.*

"Moons Haunted."

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Something I think would be neat for DLC is if it were a separate closed off area with some new Zonai parts, and your reward for completing it would be taking the new parts into the main game.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nameless Pete posted:

not inaccurate

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I hate these tiktok videos because you can't make them full screen to really see what's going on. Trying to squint at this video, which was very cool, it looks like they use the small wheel, plus a freezing head (and maybe a sword?), with the homing head?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don’t remember the video, but my favorite TotK timeline video is the absolutely insane one where he put TotK at the start and end of all the timelines. Demise is actually just the first incarnation of Calamity Ganon, and our Zelda is/was Hylia.

Nameless Pete posted:

That’s.....yeah that’s exactly right.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

There’s no evidence for this at all, and there’s evidence of the closed loop theory (Ganondorf knowing Link and the Master sword because Rauru told him about them right before being sealed, the two blocked murals that feature Zelda, ect.) so

The evidence is BotW, and how they completely avoid showing you that post-Calamity Ganon world state before Zelda does her thing.

It is now currently a closed loop and it is a partially erased/healed timeline because of it. BotW absolutely happened with all it's crazy Sheikah and Calamity Ganon nonsense, but also now TotK happened and overwrote some of that.

Zelda's full title is the Sage of Timey-Wimey Bullshit and you are meant to enjoy the ride.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

I took a picture of the champions picture that I earned and put it in my new house. I should have been able to take it with me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Is there some way to accelerate while minecart surfing on a rail? I remembered to get a shield ready before that rollercoaster shrine, but I just slow down and stop when the track goes uphill.
It's an academic question since I just beat it more as intended anyway, just curious for the future.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Megera posted:

Just finished all the shrines and lightroots, am done with all the side quests that interested me, and all I have left to do is defeat Ganon. Probably over 160 hours of time invested by now. Love the hell out of this game, and I hope it will stick the landing (which I'll probably finish later today, but I just feel so stoked from getting all the shrines)

gently caress yeah they absolutely nailed everything from the defeat Ganon quest until endgame. Idk if I can ever play this game again but it's definitely one of my top 5 games of all time. And I loved the hell out of BotW, but that ending was so disappointing

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It is now currently a closed loop and it is a partially erased/healed timeline because of it. BotW absolutely happened with all it's crazy Sheikah and Calamity Ganon nonsense, but also now TotK happened and overwrote some of that.

I don't see it. BotW happened, then years later TotK happened. There's nothing indicating anything changed that isn't covered in "it's been like a decade or more of time"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah like you have a whole rear end class where they teach kids about the Calamity in school, the new Purah tech is clearly recycled Shiekah stuff and everyone from BOTW who should remember Link does and talks about the things you do in BOTW (Bolson is clearly someone who just didn't remember one customer from 5+ years ago because he's been retired to the beach drinking since then).

I mean heck Sidon literally built a statue commemorating how he and Link took on Vah Ruta.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Sidon being so utterly in love with Link but needing to marry someone else for royal appearance reasons is the biggest tragedy in the series

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Link lives there too, it's called marriage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gruckles posted:

Link lives there too, it's called marriage.

he's definitely comfortable just going to sleep in the bed still.

And Zelda hid her plans for his birthday present in her little study outside of the main house so he wouldn't find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

TotK is essentially a "updated for modern consoles and game design sensibilities" remake of LTTP, with its flashbacks to the Imprisoning War doing a cliff's notes version of same for OoT. Assume TotK fits into that chunk of the timeline and it all sorta lines up. Yes this retcons Majora's Mask out of the timeline, but it's a weird outlier.

Alternatively, just write it off as a really really distant WW/PH/ST sequel after the Great Sea receded and Old Hyrule was recolonized, partially by Sky Aliens. Ganon reincarnated into a distinct but archetypically similar figure at some point after being for-real killed at the end of WW and all knowledge of the Triforce being lost to history.