Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CapnAndy posted:

I mean... I was on Disney property (the Good Neighbors are clustered within walking distance of Disney Springs), there were some droids and a Goofy in the lobby along with a Disney concierge. I definitely felt in the bubble. If I was missing out on stuff like free transport to/from the airport and being able to check my bags at the hotel and getting my purchases delivered to the hotel that might be one thing, but all of that's gone. All that I didn't get was a discount on a magicband and, like, a picure of Mickey inside the actual hotel room.

I still might look at Pop Century next time just because of the Skyliner, but... it was a really nice experience.

Do you get free parking at the parks?

I would be careful, once you go Skyliner, you never go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

alg posted:

You don't, no. I took the buses so it didn't register to me as a missing perk, I guess.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

alg posted:

I would be careful, once you go Skyliner, you never go back

the last "staycation" I did when I was a cast member was at Pop because I was doing Studios and Epcot and goddamn the Skyliner just made those both so easy to do. I wish they'd extend it to AK and Springs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

the last "staycation" I did when I was a cast member was at Pop because I was doing Studios and Epcot and goddamn the Skyliner just made those both so easy to do. I wish they'd extend it to AK and Springs.

that is totally cool so long as they keep up the busses for us ground pounders, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skyliner hotels have no busses.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

yes. I know. That's the problem. You shouldn't be forced onto the skyliner just because you stay at a certain hotel. That thing is a death trap as far as I'm concerned. So long as that's policy, I hope it goes down permanently. If they opened a bus option at those hotels, I'm cool with it expanding everywhere.

It's like forcing people to use the monorail because they stay at a monorail resort. I don't stay at those resorts because of that. At least if a bus crashes, me and my service dog's asses are on the ground :smith:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Aphrodite posted:

Huh? There were busses last time we stayed at the Caribbean.

Edit: oh, there are busses but they don’t go to the places the Skyliner goes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Braksgirl posted:

The pull down beds aren’t beds resting on a table. They’re actual beds and they have the same mattress as the stationary queen size bed. I’ve slept on those pull down beds several times in several different resorts and they are all comfortable.
There's definitely a table under the ones I was in last time. Thinking about it I don't know if the bed actually rests on it or if it sits around it somehow, but it's definitely a sturdy table.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Arquinsiel posted:

There's definitely a table under the ones I was in last time. Thinking about it I don't know if the bed actually rests on it or if it sits around it somehow, but it's definitely a sturdy table.

Yes the platform that the bed rests on has a table for a leg, but the bed itself is just a regular mattress on a flat surface. The fact that it folds up and there’s a table in its place doesn’t make it uncomfortable, is what I’m getting at. It’s literally the same kind of mattress as the stationary bed in the room and that bed is on a platform too and nobody thinks it’s uncomfortable because of the design.

I actually prefer the table bed in those rooms because the stationary bed is too high up for my short legs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

we actually ended up ordering the same mattress for our new bed at home that we sleep on at Pop Century because we fuckin' loved it

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just got back from a Disney Mediterranean cruise on the Dream. First cruise in 20 years and first Disney cruise ever so I can’t compare it to much. I have a few criticisms but overall we had a fantastic time. So much so that it turned my wife around who had no interest in cruises. Happy to answer any questions.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Going to be visiting Tokyo at the end of July, what should I do to get into Disney there on Sun the 30th? Anything I should see or avoid? It seems like the tickets are park hoppers but I am not 100% sure...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Braksgirl posted:

Yes the platform that the bed rests on has a table for a leg, but the bed itself is just a regular mattress on a flat surface. The fact that it folds up and there’s a table in its place doesn’t make it uncomfortable, is what I’m getting at. It’s literally the same kind of mattress as the stationary bed in the room and that bed is on a platform too and nobody thinks it’s uncomfortable because of the design.

I actually prefer the table bed in those rooms because the stationary bed is too high up for my short legs.
Most comfortable bed I ever slept on was a mattress thrown onto four pallets on the floor of a Berlin apartment :shrug: I did notice that the regular bed was pretty high but assumed that was to make it level with the table murphy. Interesting that it's actually lower.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Huh? There were busses last time we stayed at the Caribbean.

Edit: oh, there are busses but they don’t go to the places the Skyliner goes.

They do provide buses sometimes if there are delays in operation, weather issues, or if its just darned crowded and they need another option.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

kensei posted:

Going to be visiting Tokyo at the end of July, what should I do to get into Disney there on Sun the 30th? Anything I should see or avoid? It seems like the tickets are park hoppers but I am not 100% sure...

unless theyve changed something since October, the tickets are not park hoppers. You have to get two different tickets to see both parks.

Must dos:
Disneyland
- Hunny Hunt
- Pan Galactic Pizza Port
- Literally any parade
- Probably Beauty and the Beast though I skipped it
- Mike Wazowski melon pan

DisneySea
- Tower of Terror
- Sindbad
- Journey to the center of the earth
- 20k Leagues under the sea
- Aquatopia
- Indiana Jones
- Duffy store
- Just walking around every land and enjoying how stunningly themed it is
- Fantasmic

Both:
- Mickey shaped Churro
- Little green men alien mochi

If you have to pick one, pick Sea

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They do provide buses sometimes if there are delays in operation, weather issues, or if its just darned crowded and they need another option.

yeah but otherwise you're forced to take the floaty deathtrap orb of doom

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah but otherwise you're forced to take the floaty deathtrap orb of doom

I want to be sensitive and respectful that for you the skyliner is not a safe option. But if people who’ve never been to Disney or haven’t had a chance to ride it read this, it comes off as though it’s not safe for anyone.

The skyliner is perfectly safe for most people.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 21, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I want to be sensitive and respectful that for you the skyliner is not a safe option. But if people who’ve never been to Disney or haven’t had a chance to ride it, this comes off as though it’s not safe for anyone.

Yeah the skyliner is super super safe, not scary at all. And amazingly convenient.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I want to be sensitive and respectful that for you the skyliner is not a safe option. But if people who’ve never been to Disney or haven’t had a chance to ride it, this comes off as though it’s not safe for anyone.

It's as safe as any other mode of transport but being forced to use it 100% really cuts down on the resorts that I can go to, too, especially if it were to expand. That's what all this was talking about in the first place: so long as there's busses, I'm totally fine with expanding it. If it's the mandatory transport, I wish it'd close.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

BlueBayou posted:

unless theyve changed something since October, the tickets are not park hoppers. You have to get two different tickets to see both parks.

Must dos:
Disneyland
- Hunny Hunt
- Pan Galactic Pizza Port
- Literally any parade
- Probably Beauty and the Beast though I skipped it
- Mike Wazowski melon pan

DisneySea
- Tower of Terror
- Sindbad
- Journey to the center of the earth
- 20k Leagues under the sea
- Aquatopia
- Indiana Jones
- Duffy store
- Just walking around every land and enjoying how stunningly themed it is
- Fantasmic

Both:
- Mickey shaped Churro
- Little green men alien mochi

If you have to pick one, pick Sea

Ah, thank you. I was not sure about the hopper since I was looking at a translated site on my phone, I appreciate this list!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nanigans posted:

I want to be sensitive and respectful that for you the skyliner is not a safe option. But if people who’ve never been to Disney or haven’t had a chance to ride it read this, it comes off as though it’s not safe for anyone.

It's safe for everyone. They may have a phobia and that sucks, but it doesn't make it less safe.

Now, the Disney busses do have a kill count.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The most likely mishap is getting stuck on the Skyliner for a while and slowly boiling alive from the humidity.

Could they not have put a fan in there?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The Rogers musical show at DCA starts up next week, I'm excited we will catch its short run at the beginning of August as I love musicals and self aware camp, so this is a match made in heaven

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If it's the mandatory transport, I wish it'd close.

It's not mandatory.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It's safe for everyone. They may have a phobia and that sucks, but it doesn't make it less safe.

I do get the aversion to it since it did have a collision in it's first operating week, and shortly after had a massive shutdown requiring everyone to be evacuated...so it's not without incident.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There's a very widely spread false rumor among Disney park fans that the Expedition Everest yeti cannot be accessed or worked on without literally cutting open the mountain, resulting in a very long an expensive shutdown. I've talked about before in this thread how I've seen with my own eyes that this is not true, but here it is from the man himself:

https://twitter.com/Joe_Rohde/status/1671192578761412608?s=20

In the end, it comes down to the different divisions of the company not agreeing on a solution as well as whether or not they should bother spending the money. The reality that theme park fans don't get is that the vast majority of riders don't know anything is wrong. Even those that do know something is wrong still ride it anyway, because it's still a fun rollercoaster.

Similarly, the show quality on Tower of Terror has been abysmal for years, and would be relatively cheap fixes and upgrades, but they don't bother because in the end it still drops and most people are happy. It unfortunately takes a lot of convincing of modern WDW leadership to spend money on making something look great just because it should look great.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What's wrong with the show quality on Tower of Terror? Looked good to me in September.

p.s. long live Disco Yeti

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been on it since November, but much of the audio has been too quiet and out of sync for years and almost all of the lighting effects are missing or dying. The projection of the "ghosts" in the 1st scene and the floating window wall behind them is often wonky and uncalibrated. The "5th dimension" scene was never great but all the effect elements are clearly worn out. There are supposed to be lighting effects during the drop sequences, but they're all burnt out too. The drop sequence audio is supposed to be intimidatingly loud, but now you can barely hear it. A whole bunch of little things, really. I worked at the ride for a long time years ago and have ridden it literally hundreds of times, so I'm probably more likely to notice this stuff than most people. It's the difference between a 25 foot animatronic and a dozen more subtle effects as to what people take note of.

e: Oh yeah, and for the last few years, the ride has been running at reduced intensity. Initially it was because the drop motors were at the end of their service life. They were replaced, but management decided to keep the intensity-reduced drop sequences in place to extend the service life of the new motors. You can see this by matching a video of the same drop sequence from the last 2-3 years to one from a long time ago.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 21, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a lot of "Why didn't they take the opportunity to fix it during covid?" in the comments there and just... come on people, are we already forgetting the whole highly contagious airborne virus part of covid?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They did do refurb work during covid shutdowns but without knowing what the scale of the fix would involve we're just guessing wildly.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

There's a lot of "Why didn't they take the opportunity to fix it during covid?" in the comments there and just... come on people, are we already forgetting the whole highly contagious airborne virus part of covid?

it's because a lot of people took 3-8 weeks off from work and got told "get the gently caress back to it" and either died or got disabled from covid or are kicking around today and hopefully have no long-lasting ill effects. And they feel like it was "forever".

Disney was only closed for 116 days. We weren't even near a vaccine when they reopened. People forget it was such a short time. A refurb like, say, to fix the Yeti in EE would take a hell of a long time. Splash Mountain is getting a retheme that feels like it would be comparable to what they seem to think it would take to fix the Yeti (I sure as hell don't know, you know?) and that's gonna be a year+.

If Disney had been down until we got a vaccine (like 14-16 months is what I'm gonna estimate here because vaccine rollout was a really complex thing throughout the country), I could understand the "what, they really couldn't get anything done? even with precautions?" if other people were sent back to work. But it's a weird time loop vacuum for a lot of folks. They were out of work "forever" when in reality it was just a few months, tops, for most people. If that.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's not mandatory.

It's mandatory for those parks if you stay in those resorts. :smith:

I do get the aversion to it since it did have a collision in it's first operating week, and shortly after had a massive shutdown requiring everyone to be evacuated...so it's not without incident.

I also really do not want to put my service dog in one, to be honest. He loves to fly (he does a little tapdance about Dumbo) and will probably beg me to go on them afterward. And I can't break his happy little heart just because I'm terrified of them.

E:

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, the monorails do, too.

The skyliner is waiting for me to risk it to get that first counter roll over :tinfoil:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

A refurb like, say, to fix the Yeti in EE would take a hell of a long time. Splash Mountain is getting a retheme that feels like it would be comparable to what they seem to think it would take to fix the Yeti (I sure as hell don't know, you know?) and that's gonna be a year+.

The ONLY reason people think that fixing or replacing the yeti is a huge task that requires a very long shutdown of the attraction is because of the rumor which I JUST posted about which Joe Rohde himself JUST clarified is false.

It is NOT a massive project. It's just money that they don't want to spend.

Also, from January-April 2002, Everest was closed for refurbishment, so that negates the argument that Disney doesn't want to have the park go without Everest for any amount of time to fix the yeti.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The ONLY reason people think that fixing or replacing the yeti is a huge task that requires a very long shutdown of the attraction is because of the rumor which I JUST posted about which Joe Rohde himself JUST clarified is false.

It is NOT a massive project. It's just money that they don't want to spend.

Also, from January-April 2002, Everest was closed for refurbishment, so that negates the argument that Disney doesn't want to have the park go without Everest for any amount of time to fix the yeti.

Yes, yes, big letters. I know. I was under the impression that when they do fix the Yeti they were going to do a more complete refurb and keep it down for a good bit hence why it's taking so long to orchestrate everything. Or did I misunderstand that/misremember it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

He only said it doesn’t require opening up the mountain. Nothing about how long it would take.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm pretty sure I posted in this thread that I went pretty shortly after the parks reopened during Covid and I noticed the hanging lady in the Haunted Mansion pre-show was noticeably clearer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disneyland skyway was open from 1956-1994 and had fewer injuries than the parking lot trams in that time. WDW had their own too, of course, but the service record was shorter.

I don't want to tell you how to do the parks but I would expect you also think Peter Pan's Flight and Soarin are also deathtraps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don’t know, Peter Pan’s Flight makes me want to die.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Hazo posted:

I'm pretty sure I posted in this thread that I went pretty shortly after the parks reopened during Covid and I noticed the hanging lady in the Haunted Mansion pre-show was noticeably clearer.

You’re not wrong at all. Entirety of HM got improved scene lighting during that shutdown. Me and a friend were at MK the first day that APs could enter, rode it and were shocked. We actually asked about it because there was so much in the graveyard that we could see clearly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yes, yes, big letters. I know. I was under the impression that when they do fix the Yeti they were going to do a more complete refurb and keep it down for a good bit hence why it's taking so long to orchestrate everything. Or did I misunderstand that/misremember it?

Well, they had the opportunity during last year's refurb, but the only worked on upgrading the ride control system. WDW of years past would take any extended shutdown to spruce up everything they could, but today you're lucky if any of the show elements look better after required maintenance shutdowns.

Aphrodite posted:

He only said it doesn’t require opening up the mountain. Nothing about how long it would take.

The yeti figure can and has been removed overnight on at least two occasions. I know this sounds like I'm pulling stuff out of my rear end, but I was there for one of those times and have walked the scene with the yeti not in it. I'd have taken a photo, but then that would have been risking termination. I also didn't think it would still be an issue 10 years later. I genuinely think that swapping out the figure for a similar looking but simpler and lighter one, ignoring the design phase and whatnot, could be done in a week. A month, tops. If it ever happens and I'm wrong, I'll eat my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I don’t know, Peter Pan’s Flight makes me want to die.
A lot can be forgiven as Disney had to invent the very concept of the dark ride, but he still had some really... ideosyncratic ideas about what made a good one.