Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are the foreign volunteers still posting epic social media post of the heroically fighting for freedom in Ukraine? I haven't heard any news about them in a while and am worried for them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Are the foreign volunteers still posting epic social media post of the heroically fighting for freedom in Ukraine? I haven't heard any news about them in a while and am worried for them

Diablo 4 came out so they all went home to play, smdh

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

the map side of the coin appears to have a bunch of blue arrows pointing up toward a currently uncontested stretch of russain border in the north. is this fantasy or did they forward the super secret counteroffensive plans to the company that mints challenge coins in order to have them ready in time?
It’s the map on wikipedia I think
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine#/media/File%3A2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine.svg

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just learned that oryx was a bellingcat spinoff

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Isentropy posted:

one of the people there, Costas Georgiu also went on to be a major Angolan war criminal who summarily executed prisoners and even his own men, like the Nazis who went to South America and taught them torture and murder before him

that particular story had the happiest ending possible though

I always think "It's not really a happy ending when some mass-murdering Nazi finally gets what's coming to him" whenever I read a post like this, but I looked this guy up. He kept vacuuming loads of Nazis out of western countries to come fight for him before getting them loving obliterated by Soviet-backed Angolans and Cuban troops, all while wasting massive amounts of US funding. Seems pretty exceptionally stupid as far as these fuckers go, especially considering he had a massive penchant for killing his own troops.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Slava Derry

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

thats just a punisher style skull not a totenkopf and probably not a sonnenrad, its fine, no big deal

look below the punisher skull lol

never, ever fails

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

look below the punisher skull lol

never, ever fails

lol sharp eyes. It's like Where's Waldo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there a way to trick a western journo into asking what the six tally marks are?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there a way to trick a western journo into asking what the six tally marks are?

Even if they did, there isn't q single lie they wouldn't believe and print

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

lol sharp eyes. It's like Where's Waldo.

Much like where's waldo you don't really need sharp eyes once you know that he's in every single picture

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thread that lays out the evidence for the peace deal that was scuttled by bojo in april in case it didn't get posted yet:

https://twitter.com/onlydjole/status/1670141702797967361?s=20

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

crepeface posted:

thread that lays out the evidence for the peace deal that was scuttled by bojo in april in case it didn't get posted yet:

doesmt seem to be mentioned in the thread but I think the crimea issue was to be solved by Ukraine leasing it to russia as well?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

crepeface posted:

I'm still extremely confused why anyone listened to Bojo. Guy looks/sounds/is an idiot who torpedoed his own country. Yes, be polite because he's the US's lackey, but you don't have to say yes to anything.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

BadOptics posted:

I'm still extremely confused why anyone listened to Bojo. Guy looks/sounds/is an idiot who torpedoed his own country. Yes, be polite because he's the US's lackey, but you don't have to say yes to anything.

Presumably he just told them the US would kill everyone involved if they agreed.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

Presumably he just told them the US would kill everyone involved if they agreed.

Didn't the ukrainians murder one of their own negotiators

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

They definitely murdered one that was first called a traitor, aged than was said he was double agent. Wasn't there a whole rash of Ukrianian officials who weren't political enough getting murdered in like the first 3 months of the war

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jun 20, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There was a bit of a clean up, maybe some score settling. Things were a bit chaotic at the start before they settled into the regular rhythm of explosions.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BadOptics posted:

Europeans are extremely gullible.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Danann posted:

between the discord leaks still counting russian forces by battalions and ukraine proudly boasting about its westernized brigades, im starting to think nobody realized that the russians have reorganized into divisions until now

I've seen analysis of Ukraine's actions that is exactly this.. they started off this offensive in June using the same tactics that were relatively successful against the so called "battalion tactical groups" that the Russian army was comprised of at the start of the SMO.. The Russian BTGs were organized with a thinly held front line (often by militia irregular types) who's primary purpose was to act as a speedbump to attacking forces while the large concentrations of artillery did their work.

The Ukrainians were working off a NATO playbook which was basically the manual on how to defeat that strategy - sending small groups of light mobile units at numerous different locations all at once with the idea of overwhelming the ability of the Russian artillery to target the attacking forces and causing the relatively weak front line to collapse into retreat. People seem to believe that they were genuinely unaware that the Russian forces had been organized into a different alignment that placed much more manpower at the front line than what had been done previously.

I mean it seems insane to suggest that Ukraine and it's NATO backers wouldn't have been aware of this change in strategy by the Russians.. I'm guessing what happened was that all of these newly mobilized forces and their commanders were trained by their NATO instructors in tactics to fight against the BTGs and by the time they realized those tactics were outdated it was too late to do anything about it so they decided to just send them anyway and hope for the best? And by "too late to do anything about it" I mean too late to re-train the soldiers and their officers prior to the jump off date for the much ballyhooed spring counter offensive which was the regime's lifeline for NATO funding

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Jun 20, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mila kunis posted:

Didn't the ukrainians murder one of their own negotiators

What happened to Denis Kireev doesn't make any goddamn sense. The official story is now that Kireev had connections among Russian muckety-mucks and used those connections to spy for Ukrainian military intelligence, the GUR. Supposedly, it was Kireev who provided the date of the Russian invasion, as well as the planned airborne assault on Antonov Airport.

Then, when negotiation time came around, Kireev's boss at the GUR wanted Kireev to attend them even though they knew people who knew Kireev would be there and Kireev's status as a double agent would be outed. When Kireev came back from the first round of talks, he told his bosses that he'd been made AND THEY STILL SENT HIM BACK FOR THE SECOND ROUND. This was the point where the SBU picked him up, tortured, and executed him. Why? Who loving knows.

Basically, we'll probably never know what Kireev's deal was, why he was at the negotiations at all, and why he got killed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Factional power struggles most likely. We know which faction won.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

His deal is as straightforward as can be. Lots of people flipped sides in this war, it's very common.

What's unknown is who wanted him dead and why. Why more than anything really. SBU is supposed to be under the direct control of the president. So it's more of a did the pro war clique in Ukraine decide he should die, or was it a request from western supporters.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I've seen analysis of Ukraine's actions that is exactly this.. they started off this offensive in June using the same tactics that were relatively successful against the so called "battalion tactical groups" that the Russian army was comprised of at the start of the SMO.. The Russian BTGs were organized with a thinly held front line (often by militia irregular types) who's primary purpose was to act as a speedbump to attacking forces while the large concentrations of artillery did their work.

The Ukrainians were working off a NATO playbook which was basically the manual on how to defeat that strategy - sending small groups of light mobile units at numerous different locations all at once with the idea of overwhelming the ability of the Russian artillery to target the attacking forces and causing the relatively weak front line to collapse into retreat. People seem to believe that they were genuinely unaware that the Russian forces had been organized into a different alignment that placed much more manpower at the front line than what had been done previously.

I mean it seems insane to suggest that Ukraine and it's NATO backers wouldn't have been aware of this change in strategy by the Russians.. I'm guessing what happened was that all of these newly mobilized forces and their commanders were trained by their NATO instructors in tactics to fight against the BTGs and by the time they realized those tactics were outdated it was too late to do anything about it so they decided to just send them anyway and hope for the best? And by "too late to do anything about it" I mean too late to re-train the soldiers and their officers prior to the jump off date for the much ballyhooed spring counter offensive which was the regime's lifeline for NATO funding

What I don't get is WTF did they think the mobilized mens were doing if not manning the frontline? Were they so high on their own copium supply to think they were all lost in Artemovsk?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

crepeface posted:

I've seen some people say that the dates on the document don't line up, but i don't really know if that means anything

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

supersnowman posted:

What I don't get is WTF did they think the mobilized mens were doing if not manning the frontline? Were they so high on their own copium supply to think they were all lost in Artemovsk?

They got high on their own supply and lived in a bubble where Russians were endlessly denegrated and made fun of for being dumb and primitive. That's the danger of falling for one's own propaganda.

Why change anything when victory is assured? All hail the Prussian school of warfare.

Innovative lateral thinkers don't rise in modern western hierarchies. You toe the line or you're out.

Groupthink only now.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Jun 20, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah it's this. If you really look behind why Tucker is so "anti war" it's because he wants to ally with Russia to destroy China.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1669754937775992844

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Liberals need something to believe in and something like Ukraine is a slam dunk, frictionless way to perform their righteousness. They also get to project their own ideological stance on LGBTQ through Ukraine, while Republican states keep passing new laws mandating genital inspectors in every high school locker room.

Conservatives, by contrast, believe in only themselves. As liberal solipsists anything that they don't profit personally from isn't worth caring about. Sending weapons to Ukraine means less weapons here to invade Mexico or whatever the gently caress they want to do.

Liberals believe in redemption and righteousness. Yes, every other time America has intervened in a foreign nation has turned out bad, but we had only the best of intentions, and if we do it right *this* time it'll make up for all of the other times we've facilitated pointless murder and growing fascism. Plus, this time its being done by Team Good against Team Bad, so its righteous by default. They live in stories and think narratives reflect reality.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We are the self appointed good guys therefore any action we take, no matter how henious, is justified and morally correct. The end always justifies the means thus the means are correct and good.

Chanting: the greater good.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

There's a theory about that,

https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1670181878866018304?s=20
https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1670181880711512064?s=20
https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1670181882879950849?s=20
https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1670181884796747777?s=20
https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1670181886499651584?s=20
https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1670181891427962880?s=20

"In short, he links the sudden failure of the Istanbul agreement to the immediate influx of mass amounts of the latest U.S. gear such as HIMARs. This seems to logically point to the fact that in exchange for nixing the agreement, Zelensky was secretly promised unlimited funding and military support as bait. Stuck between two paths of peace or the chance to go down in history as the one man who could do what Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and Hitler couldn’t, Zelensky chose to put his faith in NATO’s invincibility."

"Ukrainian journalist Diana Panchenko about the Istanbul Peace Treaty last year: "I know for a fact that the war could have been stopped back in March. A man from Zelensky's inner circle told me: We simply ditched the Russians in March. He boasted about it... Friends, I know them all personally."

Which would mean that belief in wunderwaffe literally kept the war going and is how NATO sold Zelensky on it being winnable.

That would also explain the current cycle of West-Ukraine interactions vis a vis One Weird Trick(s) to turn the war around.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Jun 20, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay but if the Russians aren't organized around BTGs anymore then surely they'd have to change tactics to accommodate that, right?

right???

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"we've made the perfect on paper force to win a conflict"

"Great! Oh how long can you sustain in the field?"

"Uh... 48hrs... Then we need another 10 years to replenish. But those 48 hrs will be amazing!"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ukraine dont need to change tactics, theyre winning bigly and killing russians 5-1

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why does anyone believe US, ever.

It's like the quote about doomed to repeat history, except history is being repeated every decade. Like, there isn't even enough time to write a book about it. It just keeps happening.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what the vibration from a tank engine does to an onboard server rack with "battle space" stencilled on it over a couple months.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

It's also the scale and duration of training. The Defeating the Russian BTG manual is for Brigade-level operations, with no consideration of higher formations. This is entirely reasonable, since BTGs are, well, groupings of battalions. If you remember those charts of the 3 year Canadian Army training cycle, higher level training is a tremendous burden, particularly for officers. Brigade operations are not simple, but the staff requirements are fairly low and there is no coordination required with other arms and formations since a brigade can (and in modern NATO, is expected to) operate independently. That also tremendously simplifies staffing, training and planning, as well as equipping the formation.

By way of example, planning the advance of a brigade only requires a handful of people on Bde Staff. If that Bde was Regimented (non-CW) or Brigaded (CW), as in, part of a Division, than the advance is complicated by being part of a larger scheme of manoeuvre. The same applies for every action up and down the line. Much more capability, but much more staff, and training for that staff, is required for them to coordinate with the rest of the division.

So, we taught them how to operate small, independent units, and now they are launching small, independent attacks, which are predictably getting clobbered. Training them otherwise would require dozens of more officers, dozens of NCOs assisting them, new headquarters, new planning relationships, training in staff work, more and better communications, etc etc etc.

Calling for the brigades' 12 western donated 105mm guns? Easy - but insufficient for making a dent in the enemy line. Coordinating with the Division's artillery regiment? Now we're talking about coordinating the actions of other units to make sure they don't need fire support during the allocated window, positioning the guns appropriately, developing a fire plan, organizing supply to the battery, military police directing traffic as all of this is going on, each headquarters being aware of the movement of all others, etc. etc.

Applying this to this most visible setbacks, a division would have independent engineer formations much larger and more capable than those found within a Brigade. Similarly, corps and army would have even beefier or more specialized combat engineers. They all have headquarters and staffs that are not just trained to fight their own private war but coordinate with other headquarters and staffs as part of the overall operation. They are reliant on that coordination, since an engineer unit would not have their own Leopards and Bradleys to provide fire support (or get blown up bunched up behind them), but would rely on close coordination and planning to make sure that the infantry and armoured units were performing their assigned task. Much more capability, much more training required of officers, and more of them, and more NCOs as well, with radios, vehicles, etc. Staff, it requires staff.

e:

In this US division from '89 you can see two brigades that are designed to operate within a division, and one brigade that is sort of the template for how NATO does things now. Yes, it has everything it needs to work on its own, but much less of it than would be available to the division. Keep in mind, division assets are allocated on der tag, so while a brigade might have its very own field artillery battalion, the division commander could assign three (plus corps artillery) to support a single battalion at a critical point. That's only possible through having these headquarters staffs though.

It's the difference between trying to breach with an engineer company and an engineer battalion.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We can probably put some of the blame on heavily downsized western militaries doing the training when they themselves are unable to theoretically combat a large peer force with whatever they actually have. You know, without begging for USA intervention.

Can't teach what you don't know.