Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Cheaper than dying in a US hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Honestly, if I'm an aging billionaire, $250,000 for an instantaneous, pain-free epic death is a decent bargain. I wonder if life insurance pays out on something this frivolous and dumb.

Part of my job is getting ships into commercial survey for abs/dnv/Lloyds. Operating a commercial vessel in international waters without being in survey would invalidate any kind of insurance I have ever seen. Classification societies exist because they needed some way for insurers to know if a commercial vessel was seaworthy lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Facebook Aunt posted:

It says it can be submerged for up to 96 hours. It also says it is about the size of a minivan inside, which sounds comfy. It is not.

Even if they are on the surface and perfectly fine, they are still trapped all scrunched up. Can't lie down. Can't even stretch out your legs. People complain about airplane seats being uncomfortable and long flights being a hazard for throwing clots, imagine not being able to stand up nor lie down to stretch your legs for days -- literally torture.

Jesus what an awful way to die

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Xlorp posted:

Cheaper than dying in a US hospital

Buck Turgidson posted:

Jesus what an awful way to die

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Honestly, if I'm an aging billionaire, $250,000 for an instantaneous, pain-free epic death is a decent bargain. I wonder if life insurance pays out on something this frivolous and dumb.
You might have a brief moment of terror and get crushed to death, but you might also have a slow death over days as the oxygen runs out.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

While I hope that those on board can be rescued I also feel that the for-profit company organizing these expeditions should fully compensate the government agencies tasked with the rescue.

If that means an end to these frivolous expeditions so be it. Taxpayers should not be on the hook for the liabilities of private companies

Top comment on the national paper. Canadians are such assholes.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

So if that barrel can survive 400 atmospheres, do you think it could survive a trip over Niagara falls? I'm not a billionaire yet, but....

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Another Bill posted:

So if that barrel can survive 400 atmospheres, do you think it could survive a trip over Niagara falls? I'm not a billionaire yet, but....

The barrel would be fine! The contents, on the other hand...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The sub went missing for a couple hours last year

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/other/titanic-tourist-sub-was-lost-for-a-few-hours-last-year-during-trip/ar-AA1cLsR4

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Platystemon posted:

FTFY

You can see the controller in this video. It communicates over Bluetooth and features 3D‐printed thumbstick extensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkytJa0ghc

No hate for 3rd party controllers, but I would at least spring for the xbox or playstation controllers in the sub I plan to drive 2 miles deep. Hell, for 3x the price I could point you to some near flight worthy joysticks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The five-person sub lacks the use of GPS as it travels thousands of miles underwater.

lol OK MSN

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1670960366484946944?t=N_PtN63Via4JXfw1xjaC_A&s=19

put it on your calendars folks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Another Bill posted:

Look we just think sunken submarine crews should exercise some personal responsibility and rescue themselves

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_S-5

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just to put this in to perspective against the deepest rescue ever successfully undertaken,

🌊🌊🌊 ️ ← Surface of the Sea

♓️ ← Pisces III

🚢 ← Titan

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Potentially the uss Jimmy Carter would have the facilities to perform the rescue but the crew would need to be shot after being rescued to not disclose how they did it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Another Bill posted:

What part of it do you disagree with? It seems perfectly reasonable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You'd think they'd have some kind of self inflating balloon type 'Ah gently caress gfto' device strapped onto the sub.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Another Bill posted:

What an ggressively reasonable proposal

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Wait, they already had a disappearance scare and didn't put in a transponder or anything?

What the gently caress

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Look we just think sunken submarine crews should exercise some personal responsibility and rescue themselves

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_S-5

That is wonderful. We don’t get enough fun exchanges these days.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Deki posted:

Wait, they already had a disappearance scare and didn't put in a transponder or anything?

What the gently caress

Can the business owners go to jail for this, or is it one of those "international waters" situations?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Wasn't the owner onboard? A captain must go downbe instantly compacted with the ship.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Bill posted:

The comment is saying that the for-profit company that organized this expedition should pay for the rescue costs, not the individual passengers in the submarine. That doesn't sound unreasonable.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

smoobles posted:

the world's first single use submarine

Anchor. The word you're thinking of is anchor.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dr_rat posted:

Look if they didn't come back up they probably just found out they liked it under the water and decided to live there.

Happens all the time.

james cameron gonna be mad at getting two of his movies stolen by this company

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

"lol wheres the boat dude?? txt back asap x"

"5 mins away"

"from what?"

"5 mins"

"bro you said that 2 days ago lol"

Leperflesh posted:

quote:

OceanGate's submersible, The Titan, is the only five-person sub in the world capable of reaching the Titanic wreck, which sits 2.4 miles below the sea surface
anyone can reach the titanic

once

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 20, 2023

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

smoobles posted:

Can the business owners go to jail for this, or is it one of those "international waters" situations?

Apparently the founder and CEO was inside too lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The wireless connection dropped out, so they hit the sink button.

drat were their servers run by Blizzard?

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Elukka posted:

You might have a brief moment of terror and get crushed to death, but you might also have a slow death over days as the oxygen runs out.

If they're trapped seated/laying down and literally rubbing elbows in a tube like that for days, with no certainty of rescue, you think they're going out grimly or suckin and fuckin? It's so terrifying what else could you do? Might as well get the little death one last time before the big death

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Killing Jelq posted:

If they're trapped seated/laying down and literally rubbing elbows in a tube like that for days, with no certainty of rescue, you think they're going out grimly or suckin and fuckin? It's so terrifying what else could you do? Might as well get the little death one last time before the big death

Does the billionaire go first…or last.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

News is reporting that they have oxygen to last until 2:30pm eastern time Thursday, June 22nd, 2023, not accounting for additional oxygen consumed during panic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Comstar posted:

Does the billionaire go first…or last.

he's the softest for sure

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Welp, might as well pop that virgin billionaire bussy before I die

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Wasn't the owner onboard? A captain must go downbe instantly compacted with the ship.

Instantly is no lie. 6:35 or so into this pressure test on a titanium model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tW4zfTeJqM

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Apparently the founder and CEO was inside too lmao
He’s not

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fizzy posted:

The comment is saying that the for-profit company that organized this expedition should pay for the rescue costs, not the individual passengers in the submarine. That doesn't sound unreasonable.

That company's already bankrupt, it's just a matter of time now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Anchor. The word you're thinking of is anchor.

How do you think anchors work?

They're reusable and get pulled up by the ship when it wants to move.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

News is reporting that they have oxygen to last until 2:30pm eastern time Thursday, June 22nd, 2023, not accounting for additional oxygen consumed during panic.

If there is air for 4 people for 96 hours, there is air for one person for 384 hours. Minus a little for the exertion of making sure you're the one still breathing.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

How do you think anchors work?

They're reusable and get pulled up by the ship when it wants to move.

Reusing anchors? Disgusting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Instantly is no lie. 6:35 or so into this pressure test on a titanium model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tW4zfTeJqM

If you die that way, are your remains purée or chum?

I don't know whether to be horrified by the situation, or morbidly amused that billionaires are spending money finding ridiculous (ly expensive) new ways to die.

That submersible looks like a junior high science fair project. Like, yeah, dad helped me build it, but mom was supposed to do the interior and she forgot to go shopping, so I had to shove in a gym mat and my backup controller morning of, I hope the judges don't hold it against me.

I am now certain that there are rich people in the world dumber than Elon Musk.