Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I am dreading the day my TV dies, it was the last generation of dumb TV and I know when I seek a replacement it’ll have to be a smart TV with smart features like data mining and ads that play between screen modes and rear end firmware apps that don’t work and

I had a black and white sears television in my bedroom until the year 2000. loved that little guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

I had a black and white sears television in my bedroom until the year 2000. loved that little guy.

:hfive: I too had a little 10” black and white sears TV. Apocryphally my parents bought when my dad was stationed in Germany and it survived their shipping container falling in the harbor when they moved back to the states. I can’t begin to fathom any modern TV surviving any of that

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

:hfive: I too had a little 10” black and white sears TV. Apocryphally my parents bought when my dad was stationed in Germany and it survived their shipping container falling in the harbor when they moved back to the states. I can’t begin to fathom any modern TV surviving any of that

Hmm. Mine also survived a fall — fell off the dresser when I threw a book at it to turn it off (no remote). Still worked.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

aniviron posted:

In that case, lol, lmao, why did they break their own website like this.

It's been doing it for me for like 2 weeks and and i just hosed up and did it again but it opened how it used to. Please verify.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Denim Dude posted:

It's been doing it for me for like 2 weeks and and i just hosed up and did it again but it opened how it used to. Please verify.

Just tried it on my desktop where it now opens upon clicking the video thumbnail, and on my laptop, where it does not. There should be no difference between the two but one works and the other does not.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

ElectricSheep posted:

not tech related but I swear Pizza Hut used to taste better like, when you went to their actual sit down joints

I know my sense of taste changes but I just had some decent pizza last night and I was like drat this is like what Pizza Hut used to taste like. not great but decent

Not sure if this was truly answered but they used to use butter and then switched to a vegetable oil because it's cheaper.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 19, 2023

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Youtube sucks, reddit sucks, twitter sucks, facebook sucks.

The internet is a series of mistakes made to correct the previous mistakes.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

trouser chili posted:

The internet is a series of mistakes made to correct the previous mistakes.

Smart people are dumb as heck.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the internet makes you furious

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Literally everything about web development. You want text to show up on a page with maybe some interactivity? Ok, install 10,000 node dependencies just to serve the page and then another thousand dependencies for the client that all are dependent on different versions of bundling tools, where a new tool comes out every 6 months and nobody updates their installation instructions. Oops webpack isn’t working. You have a bug? Everything is minified and scrambled and compiled in the browser by default, hope your build process is setup to use the conf file you found. Oh and now everything is rendered through a dispatch process that makes things run 0.2% faster in most cases but makes it so the error trace doesn’t have any information about where the error came from.

It would be like if you went to get a lawn mower from Home Depot and they only sold industrial grade threshers that need a tractor to pull them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
On the subject of computer janitor complaints, Microsoft used to be so good about having good documentation of their .net API.

Nowadays if you go to some UI control class, it'll be like, here's a method list, gently caress you if you want to know what they actually do.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the internet getting worse is a pincer maneuver between all the big websites constantly increasing the ratio of ads to content and ad blockers getting worse and worse.

i run some combo of ublock origin, adguard pro, script blocking, and domain blocking extensions on firefox and safari, and a couple years ago ads were so rare it was genuinely surprising when one slipped through.

now it feels like they aren't doing anything, although i know they must be, because if i do something stupid like load the youtube app on my TV, i somehow get 3 or 4 full unksippable ads before the first video i watch, and then frequent interrupts with new adds every few minutes. in the browser with blocking extensions, i still get some ads but generally not the ones that run for a minute or more.

a while back i was so desperate to stop seeing that poo poo i even tried a paid adblocker on my phone, 1blocker or something like that. and it worked great for half a year or so, then just kinda rotted and stopped catching stuff.

pretty sure the greed that rots the heart of the internet also rots the heart of the people making tools to subvert the greed that rots the internet.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Pringles are tiny and they hosed up the flavor
All snack food flavor seems kind of vile and overwrought. Like some fundamental change to a base ingredient.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I have bought 5 watermelons from different stores recently and they have all been hosed up and mushy.

Magic: the gathering has gotten so hosed up with their weekly releases and secret lairs that I finally quit and am preparing to sell my 27 year collection. Hasbro started treating the game like a money machine and forgot to keep the game fun and good.

It's a good example of the same poo poo making everything else worse. You take something that some people like, and start filing off weird edges, adding things that increase mass market appeal, and changing the base recipe. Soon you have something unrecognizable to the original people who loved it, but similar enough to look like it to the untrained eye.
The Simpsons
Magic
Video games
Every household product
Every car
Every piece of software
Everything you love will eventually enter the crucible of capital and come out sleeker, cheaper, and worse.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

the internet getting worse is a pincer maneuver between all the big websites constantly increasing the ratio of ads to content and ad blockers getting worse and worse.

This is partially to blame, but I'm going to say the majority blame goes straight to Javascript.

Actually, I'm going to get on my soapbox for a moment here and say that Javascript in and of itself is not the problem, but that web development has drifted more and more away from, 'software engineering' to 'API technician'. People are not hiring 'Javascript devs', they are hiring 'React Devs' or 'Angular Devs'. It is my experience that the number of web developers that actually can do something useful outside of their chosen stack of libraries is small. A combination of this + 'how many ads can we put on this screen' + 'We are only building a mobile UI' has made the web such dogshit.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
While I understand the reasons (capitalism) for the internet constantly getting shittier, I'm baffled that there are so few new communities being created.

Like surely with the billions of people in the world, even 0.001% being disaffected with the wasteland of modern social media must be enough for thousands of smaller communities with healthy user bases?

Do these places exist, and it's just the English-speaking internet that has died?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
everyones exhausted

except the capitalists

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Carlos Lantana posted:

Pringles are tiny and they hosed up the flavor
All snack food flavor seems kind of vile and overwrought. Like some fundamental change to a base ingredient.

Stax are better. They taste the same but theyre thicker

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

While I understand the reasons (capitalism) for the internet constantly getting shittier, I'm baffled that there are so few new communities being created.

Like surely with the billions of people in the world, even 0.001% being disaffected with the wasteland of modern social media must be enough for thousands of smaller communities with healthy user bases?

Do these places exist, and it's just the English-speaking internet that has died?

i know these exist in discord right now, a ton of small communities / special interests have moved there

it will surely also be ruined one day, but seems to be the place to hangout, shitpost, or share information for communities that range from a few dozen to few hundred people

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

i know these exist in discord right now, a ton of small communities / special interests have moved there

it will surely also be ruined one day, but seems to be the place to hangout, shitpost, or share information for communities that range from a few dozen to few hundred people

The ruination is coming fast. All of discord's recently maligned policy changes are in preparation for doing an IPO. It was decent in spite of itself and its owner for a while, but it's not going to last.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

at the moment, discord does not insert ads anywhere (aside from ads for their own nitro subscription at the outer edges), and by virtue of the fact that communities are standalone and fully up to users to admin, you don't have to encounter any nazis whatsoever

i actually pay for the $50/year nitro right now because it's worth it to me to not have to deal with an algorithm, ads, or nazis. i have no idea if they can break even just selling server boosts and cosmetic poo poo like being able to use animated emoji. my hunch is that they could, because quite a few of the communities i'm in are actually boosted which means they're earning thousands per year for running an IRC server with some image hosting

but there doesn't seem to be a force on earth capable of defeating investor brainworms, so yeah, it's doomed

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

feverish and oversexed posted:

everyones exhausted

except the capitalists

It’s this. People only have so much time/bandwidth, so it’s gotten to the point where it’s like haslows hierarchy of needs; the poo poo beyond mere subsistence gets pushed to the side because we’re barely keeping our heads above water as it is. Meanwhile, capitalists have all the time/money in the world to hire a platoon of people with fancy degrees to actively make the world a worse place (who themselves feel beholden to their paycheck for one reason or another). For example, it’s honestly made me very disenchanted with the whole legal profession (which is itself something that has gotten way shittier over the last decade or so)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Anything that becomes a central draw for users will be targeted for aquisition and enshittification.

Like, Discord was fine for a long time, and it's still usable, but the IPO is the writing on the wall: it has already been marked to be made useless, and is in-process to it's final shittified form.

I think part of the push to centralize the internet was to control its content. For a while, the internet was mature enough + had enoguh users that it was directly threatening to certain kinds of money and power. Reddit being a DoD project is telling here: the centralizing of this stuff is a way to control content, and the shift to algorithmic content delivery, and the suppression of straightforward conversation and community building is a way to render the internet a largely harmless and non-threatening vector for capitalism.

As long as people will elect to go to places based on their popularity, capital will always have the means to gatekeep and enshittify, extracting all possible wealth in the meantime.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Riot Bimbo posted:

I think part of the push to centralize the internet was to control its content.

This

:tif:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Riot Bimbo posted:

Reddit being a DoD project is telling here:

Where did you hear this

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Last one: YouTube serving 5 minute anti-trans political ads, disguised as pro-trans ads. Or Prager videos, with seemingly no way to opt out. Just... despicable. Makes me want to burn down a pizza hut.

I'd just report them through the ad thing until it quit giving me that option. It also cut back on them serving me those ads, at least until I turned of ad profiling.

aniviron posted:

Steam's UI updated today. I was using a skin, Steam Compact, but not only does the new UI break the skin, it doesn't support skins at all. Everything is gigantic now; I have to assume the new interface is meant to be legible on the Steam Deck. But I don't have a deck with a three inch screen, I have a whole-rear end monitor, I don't need buttons the size of Fischer Price toy icons.

Steam also made all the menus and windows a chromium browser function, eliminated the "no main window" option, and has a obscenely gross aggression with window focus stealing.

To say nothing of deciding to open a link in the overlay instead of a new window when the game was minimized.

Riot Bimbo posted:

Anything that becomes a central draw for users will be targeted for aquisition and enshittification.

Like, Discord was fine for a long time, and it's still usable, but the IPO is the writing on the wall: it has already been marked to be made useless, and is in-process to it's final shittified form.

I think part of the push to centralize the internet was to control its content. For a while, the internet was mature enough + had enoguh users that it was directly threatening to certain kinds of money and power. Reddit being a DoD project is telling here: the centralizing of this stuff is a way to control content, and the shift to algorithmic content delivery, and the suppression of straightforward conversation and community building is a way to render the internet a largely harmless and non-threatening vector for capitalism.

As long as people will elect to go to places based on their popularity, capital will always have the means to gatekeep and enshittify, extracting all possible wealth in the meantime.

:sax::kyoon::sax:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Where did you hear this

Give me a bit, my phone truly sucks rear end, but it sounded loving stupid and unbelievable to me. It may be DARPA? Either way the foundations of reddit actually are within the american MIC. I'll find the information when i have my desktop back, assuming i remember and care enough to. The person initially claiming it was some goon in some thread i dont remember? But iirc it stands to scrutiny

Nothing ive said is kyoon tier, so please suck my delightful transfemme shitter :glomp:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

PokeJoe posted:

Stax are better. They taste the same but theyre thicker

Echoing this, Lays Stax are way better than Pringles and are usually 20 cents cheaper here. The more prominent "snap" they have when breaking in your mouth is heavenly. :allears:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:yikes:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The Grimace posted:

Echoing this, Lays Stax are way better than Pringles and are usually 20 cents cheaper here. The more prominent "snap" they have when breaking in your mouth is heavenly. :allears:

Lays Stax have the flavor on the inside of the concave so you can imbibe with impunity and I have written 14 books about how the way Pringles does the complete opposite is essentially a war crime

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i haven't spent enough time with the new steam ui to have a strong opinion yet, but so far i haven't noticed a single issue and it looks way way better than the old one on a 4k screen. feels snappier scrolling around as well, but that might just be some smooth scrolling illusion and not actually an indication of better performance.

steam'ss menu organization has always been a mess and that hasn't changed unfortunately. on the other hand, i at least know where everything is because it's been like that for a decade now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

Give me a bit, my phone truly sucks rear end, but it sounded loving stupid and unbelievable to me. It may be DARPA? Either way the foundations of reddit actually are within the american MIC. I'll find the information when i have my desktop back, assuming i remember and care enough to. The person initially claiming it was some goon in some thread i dont remember? But iirc it stands to scrutiny

If you find it, I too would like to see; because I remember reading that the founders of reddit had MIC/alphabet agency ties but I can't remember where I read it and have been unable to track that down for years, and I'm never sure if it's a rumor or a fever dream.

This stuff isn't totally out of scope though - the hugely popular twitter account Archillect which basically just posts neat images turned out to be an alphabet project. Once again I lack the link, but I did see a reliable source on this one years ago, it came out in a FOIA document. What they get out of running a twitter account that basically just posts moodboard photos I can't fathom, but they do it.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Op shops/thrift stores. I've noticed all the ones in my area have doubled or tripled their prices so you end up paying close to brand new retail price.

Not sure if it's because secondhand is "cool" now or what, but it feels like soke of these charities are getting greedy and it's especially bad for people who rely on these shops just to get by.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Windows media player asking me to pay to play mkv files

VLC doing something with subscription models

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Beardcrumb posted:

Op shops/thrift stores.

Don't forget that it's policy at most thrift stores to pull anything actually good for their ebay stores, completely destroying the idea of helping the local community in multiple ways

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Wikipedia's new design. Yet another web designer thought that my desktop site needs to fit on a phone for 'clarity' and 'readability' and forgot that I don't want scroll every 3rd sentence.

Design notes on the 2023 Wikipedia redesign

TLDR: there are a lot of code architecture problems specific to Wikipedia, but generally the design significantly improves readability & functionality for most of their users and editors (who are on mobile or large desktop monitors). You're certainly not the only person who dislikes it though

quote:

Addendum: after the launch some people on English Wikipedia started another RfC, about rolling back the redesign. The RfC was closed two months later, with no consensus to roll back. You can read all 238,758 words of that RfC here. For context: Moby Dick is 209,117 words.

---

JackBandit posted:

Literally everything about web development. You want text to show up on a page with maybe some interactivity? Ok, install 10,000 node dependencies just to serve the page and then another thousand dependencies for the client that all are dependent on different versions of bundling tools, where a new tool comes out every 6 months and nobody updates their installation instructions. Oops webpack isn’t working. You have a bug? Everything is minified and scrambled and compiled in the browser by default, hope your build process is setup to use the conf file you found. Oh and now everything is rendered through a dispatch process that makes things run 0.2% faster in most cases but makes it so the error trace doesn’t have any information about where the error came from.

It would be like if you went to get a lawn mower from Home Depot and they only sold industrial grade threshers that need a tractor to pull them.

https://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

blunt fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 20, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

Speaking of the impending ruination, Discord released this post today about the way they're suggesting everyone starts to monetize their communities: https://discord.com/blog/server-subscriptions-updates-media-channels-tier-templates-and-more

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
The web version of Teams used to support custom backgrounds, but now it doesn't and apparently hasn't since December. And Microsoft killed off the Linux native version in favor of the web version.

so now my plan to go back to Linux on my laptop is thwarted because I don't want people to see my kids running through the background.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Imgur turned from a perfectly nice, no bullshit image hosting service to a venture capital- poisoned and JavaScript-infested pig that fights like hell to keep you from downloading original fidelity images on mobile, and just got done dumping NSFW content as well as images not linked to an account. It’s also owned by the same loser holding company shepherding World Star Hip Hop and various other never-quite-broke-escape-velocity properties to a walking death. It’s just so gross visiting now - go to see a picture or a gallery, and it’s a pastel spew of memetic LOOK AT ME fringing what you came for on all sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
youtube and suchlike never provide a button to turn off autoplay any more

i want to listen to that song again NO YOU MAY NOT, YOU MUST WATCH THE NEXT VIDEO