Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

nice

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Staying out in the middle of nowhere for a few weeks (and it's Florida so that's saying a lot)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

too wide but I can't really figure out a crop I like

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love the aspect ratio - really grabs the attention. Don't know how else you'd do the second photo justice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing wrong with ultra wide unless you want to frame it someday. Printing might come with an extra charge too for being "nonstandard" but it won't be insane.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 19, 2023

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Tirano at night

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

:yikeseroo:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Noice

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

my man

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know why this works for me, it's nothing but a complete mess of twigs and moss but dang I like looking at it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I don't know why this works for me, it's nothing but a complete mess of twigs and moss but dang I like looking at it.

I think there’s some sub-framing going on that pulls the eye into it all.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Great lighting too. It's not flat

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

xzzy posted:

I thought that was microscope photography of someone's eyebrows

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

xzzy posted:

Looks good

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

I’m staying just outside a one road town right now and one of the businesses is “Guns & Gifts”. I really want to get a snap of it but a part of me is definitely worried about getting singled as an out of towner taking photos of poo poo. I’m slowly assembling a wardrobe that will let me pass, including a camo USA cap.

You’d think I’m nuts but North Florida doesn’t gently caress around when it comes to surprising you. At least I can get sunset photos out here in the boonies.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 21, 2023

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just gorgeous

These are great - the Americana pics you've been posting inspired me to get out and shoot some Aussie looking stuff.

This is a somewhat iconic local storefront, I took one from across the street with nice lined up framing that I prefer but there was a bunch of modern cars parked in front that kind of ruined the vibe lol. Might try again another time!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

field balm posted:

cars parked in front

have ruined so many shots i wanted to take :(

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I’m staying just outside a one road town right now and one of the businesses is “Guns & Gifts”. I really want to get a snap of it but a part of me is definitely worried about getting singled as an out of towner taking photos of poo poo. I’m slowly assembling a wardrobe that will let me pass, including a camo USA cap.

You’d think I’m nuts but North Florida doesn’t gently caress around when it comes to surprising you. At least I can get sunset photos out here in the boonies.

Go into the store a buy something. Nobody will think it's weird that you are taking a picture of a fun store that you to went on vacation.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DSCF8475 by a a, on Flickr

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

tk posted:

Go into the store a buy something. Nobody will think it's weird that you are taking a picture of a fun store that you to went on vacation.

Which caliber do you recommend for shooting up stop signs?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

killing time before a flight in LA

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

some more wildlife museum photos

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Which caliber do you recommend for shooting up stop signs?

I don’t know I’d be shopping in the “& gifts” section.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Found a cool scene from a bridge nearby. I think I like the framing in the first one more. Thoughts on black and white for landscapes? I know people say you should have a reason to use it but i just think it looks neat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

"it looks neat" is a good reason to use B&W imo.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I like the last one a lot

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

755A9961-Pano-Enhanced-SR

755A9994-Pano-Enhanced-SR

was sure when shooting the diagonal view would be better but now I'm pretty sure the front is better, but I didn't give enough vertical room to get a good 6x17 crop so ultra wide it is. I like the exposure better in the second as well. I used the super resolution scaling in lightroom and the full size files are nearly 200 mb each as jpegs, which is crazy to me.

and a tigher crop for detail. You can read the graffiti wall inside at 100%

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 28, 2023

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

nice

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

755A9961-Pano-Enhanced-SR

755A9994-Pano-Enhanced-SR

was sure when shooting the diagonal view would be better but now I'm pretty sure the front is better, but I didn't give enough vertical room to get a good 6x17 crop so ultra wide it is. I like the exposure better in the second as well. I used the super resolution scaling in lightroom and the full size files are nearly 200 mb each as jpegs, which is crazy to me.

and a tigher crop for detail. You can read the graffiti wall inside at 100%

The "cop car" and the red stairs make the first one the winner for me.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I like the first one a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

The "cop car" and the red stairs make the first one the winner for me.

But the light and the angle in the second one make it the winner for me. :v: It has much better context, the building looks more at home.

But if the cop car was in the second shot yeah that'd be rad. The people moving around inside make the first shot a better 'human' moment too.