Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Every unit in the game starts out with the same base "campaign range" of 2100. So 100 movement points will take you 2100units of distance, 120 will take you 2310 etc.

There's two sets of numbers it shows. One is movement points and the other what percent of movement points you have left.

The only guess is that it's bugged or he's picked up a whole bunch of movement range traits. Lone Wolf, Supervisor, and a lot of pledges add movement range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Uh oh...

Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to declare war on him for 1500 gold.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Managed to win either way though! Was wondering why the game thought this was a pyrrhic victory, especially when none of my units got wiped out
The game takes used up winds of magic and ammunition into account when determining what type of victory/defeat you get. So you can win a battle where you're heavily outnumbered with little losses. But if you've cast a lot of spells and shot all your arrows, you'll get a close or pyrrhic victory.
It's not a great system.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What's a good PVP pick if other players are Morathi, Drazhoath and Be'lakor?
Those are all top tier so I'm thinking Miao Ying, Archaon or Ikit Claw.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Kairos. Assuming all his bullshit still works in multiplayer.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Pyromancer posted:

What's a good PVP pick if other players are Morathi, Drazhoath and Be'lakor?
Those are all top tier so I'm thinking Miao Ying, Archaon or Ikit Claw.

Taurox. Just murder them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Light caster and a bunch of guns.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Raygereio posted:

The game takes used up winds of magic and ammunition into account when determining what type of victory/defeat you get. So you can win a battle where you're heavily outnumbered with little losses. But if you've cast a lot of spells and shot all your arrows, you'll get a close or pyrrhic victory.
It's not a great system.

victory type doesn't determine exp gain anymore, it's how much poo poo you kill now. so just cosmetic now

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
What is a good empire composition for fighting chaos dwarves? I've never fought them before, they just declared war on me, and I don't want to be hard countered.

I expect my halberdiers to be worthless.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

victory type doesn't determine exp gain anymore, it's how much poo poo you kill now. so just cosmetic now

And thanks god to that. Managing to win against impossible odds only to be greeted with "Pyrrhic Victory" and half of exp points you were supposed to get because your archers ran out of ammo after killing 500 enemies each was some bullshit.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KPC_Mammon posted:

What is a good empire composition for fighting chaos dwarves? I've never fought them before, they just declared war on me, and I don't want to be hard countered.

moderate amount of faith, less steel, more gunpowder. the usual. gotta have AP shooty tho

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Fair warning: I haven't played a lot of Empire against Chorfs yet, but Chaos dwarves can have hugely varying armies. If they have a lot of Kdaii or bull centaurs, you'll love halberdiers still. I'm mostly basing this off using allied Empire troops as Kislev. I'm waiting for the Empire DLC to do another campaign since I've done enough Empire for now.

IIRC the Chorf artillery is fairly vulnerable to counterbattery fire. They only have one relatively large model and don't have good single-target options beyond Deathshriekers. I had a lot of success with using allied Empire cannon as Kislev and just choosing to sacrifice a unit of infantry or get them to waste shots on my sleds/lords while I shot down the dreadquakes with cannon. Recently buffed Luminarks and helblasters are probably even better, and helblasters are your answer to Blunderbuss' shields since I'm like 75% sure shields do nothing against their missiles. The AI sucks in maintaining firing lines for the blunderbusses, so they aren't anywhere near the threat against you that they are against the AI. (They do keep you from sniping their artillery with your lord, though, like you would against old Chaos hellcannons).

I don't have a better infantry option than halberdiers, unfortunately. Your greatswords have basically identical survival against Chorf range since everything they have is AP (except hob-heavy armies, which aren't a huge threat). Your spearmen only get 35 missile resist which, honestly, isn't enough to meaningfully survive a decent barrage anyway, and they have worse melee stats in every other respects. If you do end up fighting a ton of all-hob armies, building a cheaper spearmen-and-mortars army with knights might be a cheap, good alternative.

You aren't beating a Chorf endgame army with a single one of yours, imo. If they have a full line of Ironsworn with adequate artillery, blunderbusses, and bull centaurs these units are just too good in their role to match. On the other hand, that army is expensive as hell and you can probably field two stacks of halberdiers, cannon, and handguns for every one of theirs, even with the AI cheats. The harder thing will be advancing into their territory if they have purchased the dreadquake building. You WILL take casualties, but fortunately Empire is pretty good at global recruitment late game.

So yeah, same base army composition, maybe tweak slightly based on enemies by adding a few more guns and fewer infantry if they don't have a lot of kdaii or centaurs and vice versa if they do. More cannons, fewer helstorms (still good though).

Also! Mages, especially shadows (or life?) Chaos Dwarfs get hosed by magic. Tight, slow expensive infantry blocks without any magic resist.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 19, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Greatswords bring armor and AP which is better at soaking up ranged damage than halberds while still being able to do SOMETHING against armored infantry, but generally the thing you need is just a shitload of guns. In fact you could probably get away with having nothing but guns.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

This one was my fault. I crushed Morghur 10-15 levels earlier, got an Ikit alliance out of that, then laughed off Morghur’s peace treaty offerings up til now. And I was mopping the floor with every empire battle even when AR told me it would be a decisive defeat. I’m used to skaven, skarbrand and vampire coast so I was really enjoying my steamroll session as my first time playing Grom’s campaign in IE.

Then I lose my orc warboss three seconds after he lands on Morghur because I dramatically misunderstood how that drat aura works. Two seconds in my lord is at 20% health, then he’s fleeing off the map. It probably didn’t matter - Morghur never lost any more health and his chaos spawns lasted long enough for Gelt to show up.

Both armies were crippled down to a few units, effectively ending their respective campaigns, but it was the wake up call I needed to build a 200k warchest, stop defending my hovels in bretonnia and start humiliating Eltharion on his home turf.

I still don’t totally understand Morghur’s aura. Apparently the key is focus fire with non magic weapons, or just feed him a trash unit?

Zeris fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 19, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Morghur's aura is just a mortis engine effect. With the way those work (applying damage to a small number of entities in each unit in range) it should barely do anything to lords. Mostly you just want to keep him out of a big melee blob if possible.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Node posted:

The only mod I have installed is the one that lets you recruit defeated legendary lords.

Seriously, the guy can move from Couronne all the way south to Brionne in one turn. That isn't normal, right?

I'd love a mod that makes it so you can only build armies out of the region they come from's income. It would be an interesting challenge where you have an army for Altdorf, and an army from Nuln, but you can't just make a army out of nowhere because none of the provinces could support it at the moment

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SirFozzie posted:

I'd love a mod that makes it so you can only build armies out of the region they come from's income. It would be an interesting challenge where you have an army for Altdorf, and an army from Nuln, but you can't just make a army out of nowhere because none of the provinces could support it at the moment

You can do that already by not confederating with anyone and using the alliance resource to control their armies.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

What tier of tech do you currently have?

Ap everything should go without saying, possible exception being swordsman for cheap line infantry.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Check out this BEEFY BOI. Dude could've soloed the whole garrison with all that armor.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Which is silly because in reality imagine how many angry dwarves you could slaughter with a bunch of 16’ pointy sticks. It would be clubbing evil seals.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

How! posted:

Which is silly because in reality imagine how many angry dwarves you could slaughter with a bunch of 16’ pointy sticks. It would be clubbing evil seals.

shot beats pike, at least when it comes to the poo poo late-game dwarves and chaos dwarves are packing

though I've never actually had to fight late-game Chaos Dwarves yet, since my only post-DLC campaign is Grimgor and they don't usually wait too long to pick fights with him. but I've been bumping against the regular Dawi now, and Irondrakes are a massive pain in the rear end

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What tier of tech do you currently have?

Ap everything should go without saying, possible exception being swordsman for cheap line infantry.

Just reached 4 but no stables anywhere. Haven't had a chance to recruit any of the t4 artillery yet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Can't go wrong with 19 Steam Tanks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Steam tanks need the treatment the iron demon and skullcracker got. It has half the melee damage at more than twice the price.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I would be fine with steam tanks having long range arty sniper and short range brawler variants. But having both would be annoying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

Steam tanks need the treatment the iron demon and skullcracker got. It has half the melee damage at more than twice the price.
And a cannon on top.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The grudgebringer mod is so fun. That is all.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sindai posted:

Balance isn't about unit-to-unit comparison. It also has to take the whole faction into consideration.
For example, the Empire can heal its tanks.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Just reached 4 but no stables anywhere. Haven't had a chance to recruit any of the t4 artillery yet.

Mobility is your biggest advantage so I was going to say hypogriff riders as the perfect counter but :/

Handgunners and hellblaster volleyguns will work too. Cannons are good vs enemy artillery.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
The unique steam tanks mod is great because you can get a lot of variety. There's one that has an insane cannon, one that's made for ramming, one with a hellstorm mounted on it. Skaven even get a rat tank.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Balance isn't about unit-to-unit comparison. It also has to take the whole faction into consideration.
For example, the Empire can heal its tanks.
Obviously, but since the empire is overall a shooty gunpowder faction like the chorfs they should be on the stronger side, like grenadiers and hellstorms.

(Also chorfs actually can heal their tanks.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 21, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Obviously, but since the empire is overall a shooty gunpowder faction like the chorfs they should be on the stronger side, like grenadiers and hellstorms.

(Also chorfs actually can heal their tanks.)

pretty sure you can use a Life mage to heal Steam Tanks. they're good for getting enemy infantry to bunch up

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is there a problem with sea events? Most of the time when I enter one, the game crashes to desktop. If I try again, it works, but then crashes after the battle is won.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a nonmanaged memory program of this scope and with the amount of hacky poo poo thats done on it cannot be functionally understood. debugging it is basically a long instance of raging, raging against the dying of the light

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Node posted:

Is there a problem with sea events? Most of the time when I enter one, the game crashes to desktop. If I try again, it works, but then crashes after the battle is won.

I have not had an issue either unmodded or with my collection of mods, so it might be something on your end.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Node posted:

This happens to me very rarely, but not every time I hit a sea event. Like, once every 10-15 hours of gameplay rare, but always specifically when I'm interacting with a sea event. Anyway I assume it's something with mods but it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to turn any of them off.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jamwad Hilder posted:

This happens to me very rarely, but not every time I hit a sea event. Like, once every 10-15 hours of gameplay rare, but always specifically when I'm interacting with a sea event. Anyway I assume it's something with mods but it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to turn any of them off.

Its almost every time in my case. The only mod I have is the one that lets you recruit defeated legendary lords, and I guess there is some chance that it's causing things to screw up, but I don't see how sea events and that mod are related. I like exploring mysterious islands, drat it!

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a nonmanaged memory program of this scope and with the amount of hacky poo poo thats done on it cannot be functionally understood. debugging it is basically a long instance of raging, raging against the dying of the light

I'm still frustrated by the desync issues that have continued to persist in multiplayer for most of a year now. The contact effect desync being persistent is at least solvable via trait management mods, but the end of turn AI desync just ends the campaign when it happens - there's basically nothing you can do to solve it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yesterday was the first day of summer, which means we’re getting an announcement of the new DLC any second now…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Olesh posted:

I'm still frustrated by the desync issues that have continued to persist in multiplayer for most of a year now. The contact effect desync being persistent is at least solvable via trait management mods, but the end of turn AI desync just ends the campaign when it happens - there's basically nothing you can do to solve it.

What is the contact effect desync?

We've played 100 or so hours of multiplayer inTWW3 so far and we've never lost a campaign to desync. We limit our mods when playing multiplayer. We've only had one desync during our turn, which was fixed with a resync attempt. We've had a fair number of turn over desyncs. About half, maybe a little more, of the time attempt resync works. If it doesn't we reload, having taken note of which faction offering which one of us some deal crashed us, then do anything to affect that faction a little. Give them some money usually. That has always fixed the desync (so far). Sometimes we'll have to mess with this several times in a session. In our current campaign it seemed like we got a lot of desyncs in the mid game, but it started to smooth out again after we started really taking out a lot of factions starting around turn 120. Then we killed 4 crisis and are now fighting our former order allies at turn 205.