Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's Colorado Springs.

I'm sure he has some great opinions about the Club Q shooting.

I thought CHUDs liked to bring up the Club Q shooting to accuse people opposed to their Islamophobia as hating gays. See, they have no problem with gay people, and want to protect them by deporting everyone from the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought CHUDs liked to bring up the Club Q shooting to accuse people opposed to their Islamophobia as hating gays. See, they have no problem with gay people, and want to protect them by deporting everyone from the Middle East.

No that was the Pulse shooting. Club Q was last November and the reaction from the right was even worse than that, believe it or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
gently caress, I got my mass murdering hate crimes mixed up. Awesome that enough of those happen that I can get confused.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://twitter.com/PartyTrophy23/status/1670145172682977280

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

No that was the Pulse shooting. Club Q was last November and the reaction from the right was even worse than that, believe it or not.

Is that the one where the shooter claimed to be NB as a very obvious gotcha?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Air Skwirl posted:

I refuse to believe there are any actual Ls, Gs, or Bs in the LGB alliance, and if there are they are quislings and should be treated as such.

The desire to be seen as “one of the good ones” can be powerful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is that the one where the shooter claimed to be NB as a very obvious gotcha?

Yeah. It was extremely transparent, nobody fell for it, and it was immediately dropped when he realized he was still in deep poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
"Gay, not queer" doesn't make any sense. From what I understand, anything that isn't straight/hetero falls under the "queer" umbrella. So gay is technically queer, right?

Air Skwirl posted:

I refuse to believe there are any actual Ls, Gs, or Bs in the LGB alliance, and if there are they are quislings and should be treated as such.

The founders of Gays Against Groomers were a lesbian woman and a gay man both known for palling around with fascists. Obviously these movements are going to attract far more straight cis people though.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah. It was extremely transparent, nobody fell for it, and it was immediately dropped when he realized he was still in deep poo poo.

Club Q shooter still gets lumped in with a few others as they push the "trans people are violent mentally unstable murderers" narrative, as authorities never released the "Transifesto" that the trans man supposedly wrote before shooting up a school.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Panfilo posted:

"Gay, not queer" doesn't make any sense. From what I understand, anything that isn't straight/hetero falls under the "queer" umbrella. So gay is technically queer, right?

Some people are really particular about words like "queer." For some it's always a slur, for others it's simply an umbrella term that they've reclaimed. I like the word personally but I know other people who find it deeply triggering. In either case, that guy seems like an rear end in a top hat

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Bargearse posted:

The desire to be seen as “one of the good ones” can be powerful.

Yeah, it sure seems like a fair amount of gay people are strategically throwing trans people to the wolves to make straight fascists like them and think of them as "the good ones." And they're going to be absolutely shocked when those same wolves turn on them after they've finished off the trans people.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"gay not queer" sounds like "into dudes, but I don't act like a [slur here]"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They still think of "queer" as "weird" and they're normal, very normal,

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Some people are really particular about words like "queer." For some it's always a slur, for others it's simply an umbrella term that they've reclaimed. I like the word personally but I know other people who find it deeply triggering. In either case, that guy seems like an rear end in a top hat

It’s often a generational thing, it was reclaimed in the early 2000s and folks who came of age before that are more likely to think of it as a slur.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Heath posted:

"gay not queer" sounds like "into dudes, but I don't act like a [slur here]"

That’s totally how I’m reading his comment, Like gay but not flaming super obvious gay maybe? Or when it’s convenient

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Panfilo posted:

If going by queer theory, queer is an identity that rejects norms and mores. "<any other part of lgbtq+> but not queer" can make sense. It can be bad, like ladder pullers and folks sure the 'good ones' like themselves won't be targeted. It can also be someone who doesn't identify as othered whether because they pass or they live somewhere that doesn't discriminate against them.

A non-queer lgbt person doesn't have to be antisolidarity. They could still advocate for lqbtq+ rights and be part of the community or realize that it's very easy for movements that erode rights to make their way to them, even if they're not a current target.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1670966853034999808?t=Xr0WXr60Rqng8pUopa9cOQ&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kantesu posted:

The pirate kid spends all his time toppling tyrants. Like, the entire run of the series. One Piece owns

Also his dad is based on Fidel Castro.

They do help a lot of princesses but nobody's perfect

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

As someone said on this site once, you couldn’t waterboard that information out of me

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I will try to make the Black Clover explanation as painless as possible:

Anime is about a generic plucky idiot who wants to be The Very Best Like No One Ever Was in a fantasy kingdom where everyone has some degree of magical power except him. He’s looked down upon by the haughty magical nobility, but gets on a magic knight squad, wins most of them over, and fights against whatever the baddy of the story arc is. Demons, vengeful dead elves, invasions from other magic kingdoms, whatever.

According to a wiki, the new movie’s antagonist also wants to level the playing field between people with high and low magic power, but also wants to do that by blowing up the kingdom, to avenge his love who was killed for a reason not readily apparent to me. Probably a powerful wizard who considered her beneath them.

And there you go, that’s the communist revolutionary Tim Pool was epically owning us about.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I can't bring myself to feel sad when a billionaire dies, especially when they die of their own stupidity. Money can't save you from Darwinism, clearly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dr Christmas posted:

I will try to make the Black Clover explanation as painless as possible:

Anime is about a generic plucky idiot who wants to be The Very Best Like No One Ever Was in a fantasy kingdom where everyone has some degree of magical power except him. He’s looked down upon by the haughty magical nobility, but gets on a magic knight squad, wins most of them over, and fights against whatever the baddy of the story arc is. Demons, vengeful dead elves, invasions from other magic kingdoms, whatever.

According to a wiki, the new movie’s antagonist also wants to level the playing field between people with high and low magic power, but also wants to do that by blowing up the kingdom, to avenge his love who was killed for a reason not readily apparent to me. Probably a powerful wizard who considered her beneath them.

And there you go, that’s the communist revolutionary Tim Pool was epically owning us about.

Ah, of course, the 'sidestep any question of the villain having a point by making them actually just lashing out about a personal tragedy' trick. A classic way to make the story seem like it has a sympathetic and nuanced villain while never actually having to confront any points they might raise.

Good to see western superhero media doesn't have a monopoly on this right now!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

Ah, of course, the 'sidestep any question of the villain having a point by making them actually just lashing out about a personal tragedy' trick. A classic way to make the story seem like it has a sympathetic and nuanced villain while never actually having to confront any points they might raise.

Good to see western superhero media doesn't have a monopoly on this right now!

That's part of why I like the story of the game Blue Dragon so much, the villain's plot is relating to him trying to restore the world to the way it was when his people ran it hundreds of years ago, and he completely succeeds, although is defeated so that he can't be in charge of it because he's a piece of poo poo, and everyone just has to deal with how the world has irreversibly changed. He wanted to change the status quo, he did, and everyone who survived the turbulence is shown thriving in the new world as everyone can now use magic due to how the world has been changed.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

...! posted:

Yeah, it sure seems like a fair amount of gay people are strategically throwing trans people to the wolves to make straight fascists like them and think of them as "the good ones." And they're going to be absolutely shocked when those same wolves turn on them after they've finished off the trans people.

Yeah this pretty much. Nobody is immune to gently caress You Got Mine boomerism but it’s particularly disappointing from people who really should know better.

I’m reminded of a post by an Asian-American goon whose family voted straight-ticket Republican every time while she voted Democrat. To roughly paraphrase she said something like “I’m keenly aware that my honorary white status can be revoked at any time”

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

...! posted:

I can't bring myself to feel sad when a billionaire dies, especially when they die of their own stupidity. Money can't save you from Darwinism, clearly.

There is no possible way any billionaire got to where they are without being truly, deeply, reprehensible pieces of poo poo, and hoping and cheering for their deaths is always morally correct and good.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

teen witch posted:

As someone said on this site once, you couldn’t waterboard that information out of me

I mean, it's basically just playing paintball.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bargearse posted:

Yeah this pretty much. Nobody is immune to gently caress You Got Mine boomerism but it’s particularly disappointing from people who really should know better.

It was pretty hosed up seeing black and hispanic people speaking against gay marriage (and lgbt rights in general) in California using the same words that were used to speak against desegregation and interracial marriage. Even from people who lived through that era!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schubalts posted:

It was pretty hosed up seeing black and hispanic people speaking against gay marriage (and lgbt rights in general) in California using the same words that were used to speak against desegregation and interracial marriage. Even from people who lived through that era!

Pretty much all prejudice is used to divide and conquer, the modern idea of racism was literally invented about 500 years ago to justify colonialism where the upper class got fantastically rich off exploiting the poor both in the colonies and at home, and didn't want them realising they had a common enemy.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I'll be real, I find any form of, 'This person doesn't share my values, and so they aren't really LGBTQ+!' to be, I don't know, really hosed up.

Like, it's not a special club or a reward for having the right politics, and I see people using it that way all the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Schubalts posted:

It's pretty hosed up to assume that a skin tone or language should automatically make someone have the correct opinions on a given issue, in my eyes

drat why did the Rio Grande Valley swing hard for Trump, years on the world does not know

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Getting settled in for the insanely productive discussion that is sure to follow these last few posts

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Have some people insisting pool additives that show when people pee in the pool are 100% real and mixing up movies and urban legends they heard with actual memories

this was from a reel from a content creator pranking a friend in his pool

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'll be real, I find any form of, 'This person doesn't share my values, and so they aren't really LGBTQ+!' to be, I don't know, really hosed up.

Like, it's not a special club or a reward for having the right politics, and I see people using it that way all the time.

Sure, that’s true, but we do have this awkward rhetorical phenomena where being LGBT counts as being an authority on all things LGBT to some people. So you’ll have people going “I’m a gay man and we’re sick of society coddling these groomers” and it’s hard to respond to that in a few words because of how many layers of bullshit that single sentence has. I can’t really fault someone too much for just saying, “gently caress you, you’re not really LGBT if you say poo poo like that, so don’t pretend you can speak for us”

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I hate that guys like this exist and remind me that no sociopathic nepobaby character can ever be written in fiction that's faithful to the reality of these dipshits without sounding utterly farfetched and nonsensical.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Literally any oppressed person can be just as oppressive and lovely to another person.

Call it pulling the ladder up, punching down, whatever, but to say someone isn’t a real X because they believe Y is…actually kinda bigoted! Everyone has the capacity to be a hateful hypocrite. Once again, cis white hetero Christian men do not own being hateful, eeeeeven if they certainly loving act like it.

Now, you’re totally within your right to say for example “wow, gently caress log cabin republicans!” for the specific reason of being log cabin republicans - totally justifiable and frankly encouraged. They aren’t less gay for shooting themselves in every loving foot in a mile radius. But they are loving assholes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean we saw how much hay the GOP made out of Biden saying "you ain't black"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
... is "you should touch grass" a phrase people use??

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The terminally online do, yes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Similarly, the closest Sam Seder got to debating Steven Crowder was to basically trick him which in response Stephen pretty much just cowered under his desk out of sight to avoid engaging him. So you'll notice the people on the right are never accountable for any of this, no they are far too "busy" to go on other people's podcasts or shows and engage.

The Steven Crowder Sam Seder ambush has to be seen to be believed. They really had to work to set it up, too, Sam Seder had to prerecord a show to broadcast, because Crowder won't debate anyone unless he's sure Sam Seder is too busy to do this exact thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvg5RTrFLfI&t=524s

Fun fact: Four days after this, Crowder melted down so hard that his wife finally began proceedings for divorce.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

credburn posted:

... is "you should touch grass" a phrase people use??

No, most people say "touch grass", and the "you should" part is very fellow kids on his part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

someone tells me to touch grass, I tell them to touch cloth