Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Nottherealaborn posted:

Select the box on the right that says “aspect from inventory” instead of the box on the left that says “codex of power”

So I kept trying that, and figured I must have done it before and was just messing something up, but no. Apparently on the PC you need to drag the extracted aspect over from your inventory the same way you dragged over the item to be imprinted. Dunno why that was non-intuitive, but finally figured it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Ok, so I just figured out that corpse blight explosions stack. Lol. Lmao. :black101:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

couple of questions I couldn't easily find answered on reddit. I'm leveling with Sever and blighted corpse explosion

- Is there a cap on how many blighted corpse explosion pools will stack damage on one enemy?
- Are there any tricks to helping minions stay alive? i notice you can't spam corpses to heal. I'm assuming it's because the heal is an unstackable buff? The build I'm aiming for uses cold mages and sacrifices the normal skellies and golem. I'm hoping it's easier to keep just mages alive.

Yes, there is a cap of 5 blight pools on the screen at once. When you cast the 6th, the first fades away. It is valid to spec normal CE instead and use fast attack speed to make up the difference in DPS. Blight lets you drop a few then have more time to do other things like dodge or use minion abilities, though the visibility of stacked pools sucks, so considered enabling character highlight in Accessibility menu

To help keep the minions alive, level the passive that makes them not be able to take more than 30% of their max life in a single damage instance. There's also an aspect that makes the ultimate give them big damage resistance while it's activate, and the skill that makes the ultimate respawn them is a nice QoL for one skill point. But sometimes you just gotta spam recasting them like if it's nasty DOT boss.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

VanillaGorilla posted:

Balance once you get beyond WT3 into Torment is just....not great in general. If you're not playing a meta build then you're going to have a rough time, particularly as you get into the mid 60's and 70's.

i'm playing a very not meta build and am comfortably doing level 100 dungeons at 80 so i think this is more perhaps that you need to get off wt1 and Get Good

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

i'm playing a very not meta build and am comfortably doing level 100 dungeons at 80 so i think this is more perhaps that you need to get off wt1 and Get Good

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Key to doing tree of whispers is to just ignore it unless you’re in a zone with a bunch of the quest icons while doing something else like world bosses or helltides. A world boss is 3 or 5 grim w/es. The rewards are okay but nothing to sweat or really try for.

For 50+ they very clearly want you doing nightmare dungeons as the primary activity that you break up with everything else.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Jesus, the pacing of the story absolutely breaks down near the end. Stop sending me on fetch quests!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

VanillaGorilla posted:

If I'm being honest I wish we could get past a fixation on things being "balanced" in games like this (which feels like an excuse to incline the treadmill to keep engagement up) and just lean into poo poo being fun. That's when D3 got good, and I engaged with that game plenty over the years!

yup. famously all the worst offenders for treadmill games, like mobile/gacha games, make the player think about things and let them gently caress their build up, abnsolutely arent about frictionless number increasing. certiantly a literal meter you fill to get your developer approved build for the season isnt exactly laser designed to do that either.

alos figuring things out is fun. hitting a wall and getting over it, or around it, or going right through it, is fun. being able to click things at random and be completely overpowered regardless is as boring as playing games with god mode on.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you're not playing a meta build

you can play the game without a meta build and be fine

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
So if you do a nightmare dungeon before level 50 you don't get glyph xp because you don't have paragon boards yet, I feel like an idiot and should've waited until I hit 50 before doing one

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lakbay posted:

So if you do a nightmare dungeon before level 50 you don't get glyph xp because you don't have paragon boards yet, I feel like an idiot and should've waited until I hit 50 before doing one

The 2 XP you get for a level 1 nightmare dungeon is not worth getting upset about, don't worry.

edit: 4 xp maybe actually?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Mekchu posted:

This absolutely.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

satanic splash-back posted:

Blizzard made an diablo that kind of allows you to make your own build and item sets and all anyone wants to do is have a streamer tell them exactly what to equip.
I go to the streamers to find out what my
Abilities and affixes actually do because it’s not like blizzard could be bothered to make tool tips that actually explain what is going on.

Like damage buckets of skills/abilities/items.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Mekchu posted:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Blizzard and others' idea of balance lately is "it doesn't matter how good/bad your build/gear/skill is or how many are in your party, we want every engagement to take X seconds/minutes to complete" and adjust numbers and mechanics accordingly to meet that end.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Mekchu posted:

Yeah, I’m running a goofy blizzard sorcerer build with barriers and all the ice spikes legendaries and it’s doing fine. Amazing screen clear even if the single target damage is kind of bad. I’m at 75 and can do nightmare dungeons with level 90 mobs if I’m careful around groups of elites, and 85s effortlessly. You really don’t need to do anything besides focus on synergies.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm level 50 and my world tier 1 kill/clear speed on all content is the exact same as it was at level 1 with basic skill auto attacking. Does it get better? Do you ever feel powerful?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Chocobo posted:

I'm level 50 and my world tier 1 kill/clear speed on all content is the exact same as it was at level 1 with basic skill auto attacking. Does it get better? Do you ever feel powerful?

you should have 50 levels worth of skill points, you don't need to auto attack anymore

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

th3t00t posted:

I go to the streamers to find out what my
Abilities and affixes actually do because it’s not like blizzard could be bothered to make tool tips that actually explain what is going on.

Like damage buckets of skills/abilities/items.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634950

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Chocobo posted:

I had a huge power spike around level 30 in wt2, then a valley as I became invincible, but did low damage at the end of the campaign, and now at 55 I’m hitting another big power spike and am vaporizing elites faster than during the campaign. You can absolutely feel really powerful if you pay attention to your build.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Chocobo posted:

Have you tried using A Skill?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Chocobo posted:

sounds like a literal skill issue

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I do wonder how much of the confusion of this game is not really understanding or appreciating how important it is to synergize the affixes on your gear.

It doesn't help that there's a lot of missing details on what certain things actually do, what effects proc other effects, and what bonuses are additive vs multiplicative.

But like, you can get a tremendous boost of damage just by finding a reliable source of CC + a little bit of damage vs CC, and maybe grabbing a couple legendary aspects that coincide with that interaction. Other Diablo games didn't really have it to this degree so I kind of understand it. This isn't a game where you just find the item called Windforce and start clearing screens, you gotta put in some effort into lining up all your gear.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
All you need to do is find a skill that applies vulnerable, stack gear that boosts vulnerable damage then level up the glyph that increase vulnerable damage. Then try to get rolls that make that vulernable window last as long as possible/happens as often possible. Enjoy the rain of big numbers.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chocobo posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634950

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Chocobo posted:

you definitely should and there is something very wrong with your gear/build to make that happen

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You've seen what your character has to offer by 50 and you have just the grind ahead of you. In fact it'll probably get worse as the enemies scale past you in wt3 and 4. Look at a build? Find some synergy and hammer it?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Been in wt4 for 8 levels now and I'm way out scaling enemies. Was thinking actually how we probably need a wt5 or even 6 soon because poo poo gets wrecked.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
if you play a meta build you're just going to get nerfed into the ground at some point so you might as well bite the bullet and learn how everything interacts sooner rather than later imho

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Mechanical question, since I didn't really read anything about this game's mechanics until finishing the campaign: do DoTs snapshot? Specific example is Rend: if I have 1 second left on Berserking and I cast Rend, does the entire DoT get the Berserking damage bonus or just while I still have the buff?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

if you play a meta build you're just going to get nerfed into the ground at some point so you might as well bite the bullet and learn how everything interacts sooner rather than later imho

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

If you think you aren't doing enough damage but don't want to follow the meta, just check various guides and see what gear they are trying to get and figure out why those gears are good.

If you understand the interactions you can make most builds function at least.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Incoherence posted:

Mechanical question, since I didn't really read anything about this game's mechanics until finishing the campaign: do DoTs snapshot? Specific example is Rend: if I have 1 second left on Berserking and I cast Rend, does the entire DoT get the Berserking damage bonus or just while I still have the buff?

seems like it, yeah. kripp, iirc, had a video that showed the effect with a firewall sorc in particular, but it seems like it’ll snapshot and only get overwritten if a higher damage thing to snapshot is applied, but i didn’t look that sl close. so the zerk buffed rend should do its full zerk enhanced dmg

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Problem with respec and exploring different builds is they put a cost on everything and you have to refund every paragon point one by one. It's an atrocious design

Rerolling items is already expensive enough, no need to shove a cost on paragon points and skill points scaling with your level.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

acumen posted:

Been in wt4 for 8 levels now and I'm way out scaling enemies. Was thinking actually how we probably need a wt5 or even 6 soon because poo poo gets wrecked.

I'm guessing they're gonna add wt5 with the first season, unlocking at 85 or whatever. Before release it was always 5 difficulty levels and somehow one of them dropped out. Also some item modifiers scale with levels past the current item level cap (static numbers on aspects in codex scale with character level past the numbers attainable in gear), suggesting that there should be another tier with higher item levels.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hit Man posted:

Problem with respec and exploring different builds is they put a cost on everything and you have to refund every paragon point one by one. It's an atrocious design

Rerolling items is already expensive enough, no need to shove a cost on paragon points and skill points scaling with your level.

You value your time too much

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

How do you focus on farming higher item level gear? Does the level of nightmare dungeon make a difference?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yeah. To my experience if you farm 24+ nightmare dungeons you get ancestral drops all the time. Like 2/3 of all drops are ancestral at this level of nightmare dungeon. I imagine it gets better as you go higher

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there anything i should know or prepare for before going into the wt3 dungeon? i havent beat the game on softcore so this is going blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Verviticus posted:

is there anything i should know or prepare for before going into the wt3 dungeon? i havent beat the game on softcore so this is going blind

You need to be lvl 60+ before you can hope to solo it. Otherwise most his attacks will 1-shot you and its pretty frustrating. 60+ is OK though.

Also, it gets infinitely easier in a group (just 1 more person should be enough, no need for full group). This is mainly to split the boss' attention and not suffer all the projectile aggro yourself

As far as elixirs go, Weak elixir of Fire Resistance OR some Iron Barb elixir for armor. Elixirs persist through death and last 30mins but dont stack with each other

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 20, 2023